HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - LX

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I think Gagner being a 50 point guy is fine. Put him in the middle with Kesler (Torts likes him as a winger), drop Santorelli down to the 3rd line, and there is a lot more skill on the 2nd line, and Santorelli can handle shut-down duties as well as contributing offense.

Booth, as much as I hoped for him to bounce back, is just not fitting in.

If you can still get Kane, it's an even more diverse lineup with balance of size, skill, speed and tenacity throughout.
The issue is that Gagner has a $4.8m cap hit for 2 years after this one, with an NMC for next year. As I said, it depends on what other moves you think you can do. If you think there's nothing else out there then it's probably a good move as it makes the team better. But if you think you can get Gaborik and have faith in him being an impact player, or you think you can acquire Kane, etc. then that cap hit might get in the way.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The issue is that Gagner has a $4.8m cap hit for 2 years after this one, with an NMC for next year. As I said, it depends on what other moves you think you can do. If you think there's nothing else out there then it's probably a good move as it makes the team better. But if you think you can get Gaborik and have faith in him being an impact player, or you think you can acquire Kane, etc. then that cap hit might get in the way.
I do agree with this that Gagner should be far from the top of our list in terms of potential targets.

But valuewise Gagner >> Booth, and even if that's the only move we make we'd end up a better team. If we could use the cap space more effectively(i.e. a Gaborik or Kane type trade) then obviously it would make more sense to keep Booth and simply buy him out in the offseason.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Elliot20

If this Kane trade is plausible, that would put Canucks on the same level as LA and Anaheim. We finally add the size AND skill needed in the TOP 6.

Sedin - Sedin - Kane
Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Though, I can see why Winnipeg would want Tanev. He still has a lot of unlocked potential and is already the top 2 D in Vancouver. Once he gets his offensive game back, the trade will definitely not be as lopsided as some people think.

Tanev is the big mystery. In 3-5 years, he has the potential to be a Norris type D.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
SweedishKeepers

So has anything new come from this or is it just the "info" from twitter?

Old
01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

I really don't want to lose Tanev. Worried there might be some buyers remorse if it happens.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:21 PM
VanillaCoke

Y'all should watch more Winnipeg games. Kane is a dynamic force, and at ~22 years old could be a superstar in the making.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. And try to add Simmonds + for edler and the Canucks are instant favourites in the west.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Elliot20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke View Post
Y'all should watch more Winnipeg games. Kane is a dynamic force, and at ~22 years old could be a superstar in the making.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. And try to add Simmonds + for edler and the Canucks are instant favourites in the west.
If that happens, Canucks have no defense left. Can't trade Edler AND Tanev...

Old
01-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJazzLegs View Post
I really don't want to lose Tanev. Worried there might be some buyers remorse if it happens.
As much as it would suck to lose Tanev, Hansen and Gaunce... It would be insane to add arguably the best young power forward who's also one of the best and most active shooters in the league and one of the toughest middle weights in the league. Kane is the one of maybe a dozen players in the league who I think could make this team elite again.

Kassian and Kane playing for the Canucks also goes a long way towards changing the cowardly Sedin aura around this team.

I'm more concerned with losing Gaunce and a high pick personally.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:23 PM
oceanchild

If Winnipeg makes the proposed deal i would assume they plan to move Buff for a young forward with upside type deal. They might be looking at clearing out the poor attitudes in the room. I think the idea would work in the same way trading Rick Nash helped Columbus more than New York (imo)

Old
01-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Booth can be gone after this season whereas we're stuck with Gagner's cap hit for at least one more year due to his NMC. I don't believe he's more than a 50 point player who doesn't provide anything else. I guess it would be worthwhile for this year but after that he becomes a burden. Especially so if you think that you can get some in free agency or there are other trades you're exploring (Kane).

If he's an upgrade this year, then it might be worth the stretch. Is 4.8m per a fair contract for an OK 2nd liner? I wonder if his contract will be the new standard going forward... He does seem a bit redundant with Santorelli/Schroeder/Dalpe all looking to bring what he does (or perhaps more).

I think I would do it if the deal centered Booth. It is unlikely they would get a piece like that in FA without spending close to 5m per.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

This trade rumour is too good to be true...never gonna happen.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
SweedishKeepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post

Seems this way at the moment doesn't it

Old
01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Tiranis

The rumour is that the Canucks made an offer. Could be true and it still won't happen because the Jets reject it.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
Yeah, but Burrows should be returning within a couple of weeks. How are we supposed to free up over $1.25M in cap space? We would probably have swap Booth for a cheaper forward, but he isn't exactly a hot commodity.
The Canucks in the meantime save 925K on Booth's AAV if they put him on waivers which would be off-set somewhat by his replacement e.g. an Archibald's AAV.

They would have to go to minimize their roster or more preferably find a way to trade Booth i.e. it might require them to retain some of his AAV.

Ultimately, the long-term solution is to find a taker for Booth if freeing cap space is the goal. The Canucks would probably have to add a fairly high draft pick to even get teams "somewhat" interested.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Depends. Hansen is a 40 pointer defensive fast skating forward. As frustrating as it is seeing him with the Sedins hes a very good player.

Tanev has shown nothing but excellent defensive play since hes joined the Nucks.

Gaunce has a good chance a being a very good 3rd liner.

I think Kane would be excellent for the Nucks and the view is certainly that he would do better than he has with the talent Van has.

I dont think its that far off.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Hey guys I have some great news, I just made the trade in NHL 14... and it was accepted by the Jets! I expect they'll be making the announcement anytime now.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Edmonton would have to be high to deal Gagner for Booth.

Although I'd echo the sentiment of trying to avoid adding Stanton.

No I don't think they would have to be "high" to do it. Gagner does little else but provide that 40-50 points. He'll work out there, but has his limitations. EDM would gain size in that swap and may not even take a step back in points overall.

Gagner doesn't shut down opponents. Face-offs need work. Maybe is more of a winger than a C. Small and weak. Let's not pretend he doesn't come with issues that have exasperated the relationship the team has with him, much like what is happening here with Booth.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Seems like Botch doesn't consider the source credible, but he heard about it before it hit twitter?
Quote:
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 8m
@BeantownCanuck haven't seen anything credible [about the rumoured trade offer], not at all. But did hear about it before it hit twitter etc

Old
01-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The rumour is that the Canucks made an offer. Could be true and it still won't happen because the Jets reject it.
Exactly. There's all kinds of possibly ways it could never happen:

-jets reject offer
-we never made an offer, the rumour was bs
-jets ask for something else in the trade instead, we decline

...no matter which way it never happens, it's still never gonna happen

Old
01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Seems like Botch doesn't consider the source credible, but he heard about it before it hit twitter?
Haha he's such a ******. "Oh yeah that rumour's crap, but I STILL heard about it before you".

Old
01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Aquaman should just offer the Jets a few condos in his new development to square up the deal.

"If you ever need a reprieve from the Peg, you'll always have a place to come to."

Old
01-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Elliot20

You guys realize it's just an offer right.

Chances are it's not going to be that offer that seals the deal (if it does anyways). Winnipeg might counter with Kassian instead of Hansen/Gaunce. And ask for Corrado instead of Tanev.

Lots of ways this can be played out.

Canucks basically offerred the least they had to in order to let Winnipeg 'listen'. It's going to be a bigger package if it does happen.

If the offer was sent yesterday 'supposedly', don't expect anything for a good few weeks after a lot of back-and-forth adjustments.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
You guys realize it's just an offer right.

Chances are it's not going to be that offer that seals the deal (if it does anyways). Winnipeg might counter with Kassian instead of Hansen/Gaunce. And ask for Corrado instead of Tanev.

Lots of ways this can be played out.

Canucks basically offerred the least they had to in order to let Winnipeg 'listen'. It's going to be a bigger package if it does happen.
According to Taj's source in one of his earlier tweets, Winnipeg wanted Horvat but Gillis said no and offered Gaunce.
Quote:
Harry Nijjar ‏@harry1619 12h
@Steve_May @taj1944 @khatinthekar @VancityJC tanev Hansen n a top prospect but gilly shot down horvat

Old
01-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Depends. Hansen is a 40 pointer defensive fast skating forward. As frustrating as it is seeing him with the Sedins hes a very good player.

Tanev has shown nothing but excellent defensive play since hes joined the Nucks.

Gaunce has a good chance a being a very good 3rd liner.

I think Kane would be excellent for the Nucks and the view is certainly that he would do better than he has with the talent Van has.

I dont think its that far off.

Yup, and if the pick is a 1st, I do think that would/should get WPG thinking.

Tanev addresses a potential need for them if they are intent on moving Buff and promoting Bogosian. Then Hansen is the checking forward to compliment Frolik and the other depth on RW. Gaunce fills their organizational need a C, and the pick gets them a high quality asset at whatever position they deem necessary. 4 pieces like that would help them transition.

I think it's too much to give, even though I think Tanev will get more than he deserves on his next deal (for now), and Guance still has big questions about acceleration/pace.

They should just pay less and get Spezza (yes, I think Kane is worth more than Spezza would be right now, given Kane's long term deal).

Old
01-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Peter Griffin

Who is this taj1944 and why should anyone believe a thing he says?

Closed Thread