HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
I bet Montreal thinks about moving pk subban this off season. They just haven't wanted to commit to him up there. Montreal rumors of them following around I wouldn't be surprised if rumors kick up in the off season. Will it happen. Most likely not but I bet we hear at least one this off season

Old
04-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Curufinwe

Correct. A lot of mid-1sts don't even play 100 games in the NHL.

Old
04-23-2014, 09:37 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I don't see why Schenn should be signed for any more than Couturier.
This.
I posted it before and stand by my words: B.Schenn < Couturier. He does not deserve a major raise.

Old
04-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Curufinwe

Couturier did sign on the back of scoring 15 points in 46 games.

BSchenn is going to get closer to $2.5m based on scoring 41 points this season while not getting a lot of ES ice time.

Old
04-23-2014, 09:42 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I think Schenn's main issue is that he tries to do too much. He needs to stop doing so many little dekes and doing a lot by himself. Just put the puck on ****ing net.

Old
04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Holmgren has no plan for this team. It's obvious from the Lecavalier signing. All he did was force Schenn to play out of position, and now instead of developing Schenn at the center position and allowing Couturier to get some PP time they have Lecavalier eating up those minutes (and doing so at a mediocre clip). The smartest thing Berube did was put Vinny on the 4th line and play Schenn at center. You have to take your lumps with the kid playing center.

Schenn had every chance to stay at center but he's sucked.

Old
04-23-2014, 09:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
This.
I posted it before and stand by my words: B.Schenn < Couturier. He does not deserve a major raise.
You have to also factor in that the cap is going up. As the cap goes up, so to do salaries. Even if Schenn winds up signing a bigger deal than Couturier, the context of the cap comes in to play (not to mention the other factors involved such as Schenn scoring at a pretty high pace for the minutes he was on the ice and despite being what people like to say is "invisible" out there). IDK what Schenn gets, but it wouldn't surprise or upset me if he got more or the same as Couturier.

Old
04-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
Schenn had every chance to stay at center but he's sucked.
He's only 22. You have to take your lumps with him.

Old
04-23-2014, 10:13 AM
FlyersFan61290

Schenn really is struggling but people need to remember that he just finished his first full season. He's played in 85 games this season, that's far and away the most NHL games he's ever played in a single season. He hit a wall about 20 or so games back but as a 22 year old I'm not worried at all.

You have to consider his production compared to his minutes. He was 4th or better on the team in ES scoring for the majority of the season but slipped in the final game to 5th in a tie with Hartnell. He still finished 3rd in ES goals behind Read and Giroux. He did this while being 6th in ES TOI/G among forwards. He also finished 2nd only to Giroux (7) in game winning goals with 6.

To me his 41 points while getting the 7th most TOI/G among forwards at under 16 minutes is very good value. To give you an idea, only 7 other player in the league scored 41 or more while getting 16 min or less per game. Only two of those 7 had more then 44 points (Jussi Jokinen and Marchand). Only one player is close to Schenn in age and that's Tarasenko who is also 22 and obviously the much better player.

He gives the team pretty much as much production as you can ask for (unless you're being unreasonable) and while he is struggling right now, who isn't? When guys like Vinny, Hartnell, Read, Giroux, Jake and Simmonds aren't producing either (Schenn has one point while only three Flyers, the top line, have 2 pts) IMO you shouldn't be pointing fingers at the 22 year old in the midst of his longest NHL season.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 04-23-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old
04-23-2014, 10:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

^ Pretty much this

All the jackals on here wanting Holmgren to pull another JVR and essentially sell B Schenn low are completely misguided. Seriously, yeah he has been frustrating during stints this regular season and into the playoffs but I really don't completely understand all the angst over the dude. I think he is progressing fairly normally although yeah of course I would like to see more and faster. Give the kid a break. We have seasoned vets playing like complete garbage and Schenn is the focus??? Good one...

Old
04-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Maybe of Schenn showed any potential to be better than he is he wouldn't get crapped on. He hasn't. It has pretty much been a lost year for him.

04-23-2014, 11:04 AM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
^ Pretty much this

All the jackals on here wanting Holmgren to pull another JVR and essentially sell B Schenn low are completely misguided. Seriously, yeah he has been frustrating during stints this regular season and into the playoffs but I really don't completely understand all the angst over the dude. I think he is progressing fairly normally although yeah of course I would like to see more and faster. Give the kid a break. We have seasoned vets playing like complete garbage and Schenn is the focus??? Good one...

no. we want him to sell him high.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think Schenn's main issue is that he tries to do too much. He needs to stop doing so many little dekes and doing a lot by himself. Just put the puck on ****ing net.
Spot on. At the NHL level, B. Schenn has to play more like Hartnell and less like Giroux. He hasn't realized he isn't skilled enough to play a finesse game. I still think he could be like Shane Doan but I worry that he is either too stubborn or too dumb. His brother is the same exact way. He should play a simple game like Grossmann and never try to handle the puck but he always attempts to do way too much and gets into trouble.

The reason to trade B. Schenn is that he is redundant on this team. The flyers need skill on the blueline or on the wing and he would return the most except for maybe Simmonds.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:23 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Maybe of Schenn showed any potential to be better than he is he wouldn't get crapped on. He hasn't. It has pretty much been a lost year for him.
Pretty much my stance as well.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:37 AM
FlyersFan61290

Except most people who want Brayden gone have been saying it from the start of this season.

I'm not buying it. That's fine, no one has to prove/explain themselves to anyone on here.

And btw, when there was a prediction thread about the type of season Couts and Schenn will have this season I called all this. I said, more then a few people are expecting too much and will turn on the players. It seems to be a common thread amongst Flyers fans and HF posters in general.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Curufinwe

82 games played and 41 points is not a lost year. You people are so dramatic.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:58 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
82 games played and 41 points is not a lost year. You people are so dramatic.
Not denying that 41 points isn't ok, but when you're a 5th overall pick and now 22 years old, with ~200 nhl games played I want you to be showing an ability to be a bit of a catalyst at least in flashes. I haven't seen that from Brayden. I haven't seen an above average ability to do anything at all. I see some speed and the ability to be in the right place at the right time every once in a while.

Some players you just see it with. Their talent and what they can bring to a team. I don't see it with Brayden Schenn. I see a streaky 3rd line center who can play physically when he wants to and with average to below average defensive abilities.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:00 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

I know this is probably a terrible time to pop in here and this has about as high a chance of happening as Carcillo and Rinaldo going out on a date, but what would you guys hypothetically want from the Rangers for him? Something like Hagelin + J. Moore?

Old
04-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Curufinwe

No in division trades of major pieces, sorry.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
No in division trades of major pieces, sorry.
I know and I mentioned that. Was just thinking in terms of how you guys value him.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I know and I mentioned that. Was just thinking in terms of how you guys value him.
You'll find a very wide range on that.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't agree. He had a similar season to JVR in his final year here. Both were getting similar ES and PP minutes. JVR blossomed the moment he saw an increase in his minutes. Schenn will as well. I guarantee if the Flyers trade him, we will see him take off with another team.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I guarantee if the Flyers trade him, we will see him take off with another team.
So what if the Flyers get a player they need in return. Trading JVR was never a bad idea. If the Flyers got a legitimate young top 4 defenseman the trade would of been a success but they only got Luke Schenn, making it a pretty bad failure. Let's say B. Schenn is the principle part of a trade of Evander Kane. Would you care about B. Schenn becoming a very good center if Kane is scoring 30 goals on Giroux's wing? You have to give to get in trades. Or the other option is bringing back this exact team next year with Gustafsson or Gostisbehere replacing Timonen.

Old
04-23-2014, 12:27 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I know this is probably a terrible time to pop in here and this has about as high a chance of happening as Carcillo and Rinaldo going out on a date, but what would you guys hypothetically want from the Rangers for him? Something like Hagelin + J. Moore?
Kreider

Old
04-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
So what if the Flyers get a player they need in return. Trading JVR was never a bad idea. If the Flyers got a legitimate young top 4 defenseman the trade would of been a success but they only got Luke Schenn, making it a pretty bad failure. Let's say B. Schenn is the principle part of a trade of Evander Kane. Would you care about B. Schenn becoming a very good center if Kane is scoring 30 goals on Giroux's wing? You have to give to get in trades. Or the other option is bringing back this exact team next year with Gustafsson or Gostisbehere replacing Timonen.
IF they get a good return for Schenn that is fine. I just simply don't like the idea of trading Schenn because people are impatient with 22 year old players. I also do not trust Homer to get a fair return. Also, I would rather keep Schenn than an old, injury prone Vinny.

Closed Thread