HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn

Old
04-23-2014, 11:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
So what if the Flyers get a player they need in return. Trading JVR was never a bad idea. If the Flyers got a legitimate young top 4 defenseman the trade would of been a success but they only got Luke Schenn, making it a pretty bad failure. Let's say B. Schenn is the principle part of a trade of Evander Kane. Would you care about B. Schenn becoming a very good center if Kane is scoring 30 goals on Giroux's wing? You have to give to get in trades. Or the other option is bringing back this exact team next year with Gustafsson or Gostisbehere replacing Timonen.
I would consider packaging him for a more complementary and creative player. All depends. I think Schenn still has some good upside as a second line center...a bit in the Brind'amour mold . But yeah no stupid JVR type trade...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
82 games played and 41 points is not a lost year. You people are so dramatic.
He got those points through athletic talent alone. He has shown the hockey IQ of a cracked brick all year. Talent alone isn't going to get him to the next level we need him to reach if the rebuild is going to progress as hoped/planned. He has shown very, very little on the mental side of the game to indicate his ceiling is much higher than it is now, or that he will be an impact player instead of a complimentary one. That's not drama, that's simple reality. He hasn't progressed at all from last year. Even through 47 games, (the same GP as last lockout season), he had 2 less points than in 47 games last year. He has shown very little, and he's finishing it up with a miserable PO showing. At some point he needs to start moving forward, and he hasn't shown anything that's very encouraging.

Edit: I'm not advocating bailing on him, but I've also not seen anything from him to make me excited or hopeful.

04-23-2014, 11:40 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
I think Schenn still has some good upside as a second line center...a bit in the Brind'amour mold .
I see nothing in his game that indicates that he is classic centre material. Playing him there and shoving Vinny on a wing seems to have been a failed experiment this season.

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:57 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
I see nothing in his game that indicates that he is classic centre material. Playing him there and shoving Vinny on a wing seems to have been a failed experiment this season.
Vinny has been a failed experiment this season, period. Outside of his first 15 games or so he's been horrible to say the least. Putting him at C doesn't nothing for the team, it actually makes things worse considering he's among the worst defensive players on the team, if not the worst. If Schenn is gonna play LW, it can't be with Vinny.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Vinny has been a failed experiment this season, period. Outside of his first 15 games or so he's been horrible to say the least. Putting him at C doesn't nothing for the team, it actually makes things worse considering he's among the worst defensive players on the team, if not the worst.
Unfortunately, Schenn at C does nothing for the team either since he plays more like a winger...yet he doesn't like playing wing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:04 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Vinny has been a failed experiment this season, period. Outside of his first 15 games or so he's been horrible to say the least. Putting him at C doesn't nothing for the team, it actually makes things worse considering he's among the worst defensive players on the team, if not the worst. If Schenn is gonna play LW, it can't be with Vinny.
you may be correct but it was obvious for large portions of the season that taking a career centre in Vinny and putting him on the wing wasn't working-and that was a big reason why he sucked defensively.

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:05 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Unfortunately, Schenn at C does nothing for the team either since he plays more like a winger...yet he doesn't like playing wing.
Which is why you try something significant other then a Vinny/Schenn combo. How about giving him a LW that can play like Hartnell or Read, or putting Jake on his RW, or moving him to Giroux's wing.

The whole team is in need of a shakeup but unfortunately Chief doesn't see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
you may be correct but it was obvious for large portions of the season that taking a career centre in Vinny and putting him on the wing wasn't working-and that was a big reason why he sucked defensively.
He's worse when at C defensively or at the very least it is more noticeable because centers have more responsibility defensively speaking.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:10 PM
neb45
Ty Mased God

I've been saying since the beginning our lines should be:

Schenn g28 voracek
Hartnell lecav Simmonds
Read couts akeson

Hartnell is not a first line player. Both schenn and hartnell have no hockey iq but at least schenn has talent and upside. What does hartnell even do well now?

neb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:57 PM

vCash: 50
Schenn doesn't deserve top line minutes. 40 point forwards are a dime a dozen, trade the bum before everyone realises how crap he is.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 04:10 PM
tymed

Everyone seems to think this kid is braindead on the ice or something and lump together with this claim of Brayden having no IQ and provide absolutely nothing behind the statement to support such a claim.

For all those saying he's a dumb player and has no IQ, please expand on that one for me.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Schenn doesn't deserve top line minutes. 40 point forwards are a dime a dozen, trade the bum before everyone realises how crap he is.
I might be missing a few but 40 point players with his ice time aren't a dime a dozen. The only players with 41 points or more with less ice time per game are Jason Chimera (15:25/42), Andrew Cogliano (15:23/42), Mathieu Perrault (13:52/43), Carl Soderberg (14:15/48), and Reilly Smith (14:42/51). Not exactly a list of world beaters but it shows that Schenn produces well for the ice time that he is given.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 04:22 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I might be missing a few but 40 point players with his ice time aren't a dime a dozen. The only players with 41 points or more with less ice time per game are Jason Chimera (15:25/42), Andrew Cogliano (15:23/42), Mathieu Perrault (13:52/43), Carl Soderberg (14:15/48), and Reilly Smith (14:42/51). Not exactly a list of world beaters but it shows that Schenn produces well for the ice time that he is given.
No, you can't use context when evaluating a player!

Old
04-23-2014, 04:27 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
Everyone seems to think this kid is braindead on the ice or something and lump together with this claim of Brayden having no IQ and provide absolutely nothing behind the statement to support such a claim.

For all those saying he's a dumb player and has no IQ, please expand on that one for me.
There's been plenty of support on this board to show what a woe of a player B. Schenn is.

Simply put: he can't be an effective player because he sucks at playing center and sucks even worse playing wing. There's couple of bad decisions with the puck he continually makes; usually holding on to the puck too long or sending passes into nowhere. He plays with tunnel-vision and its why he can't find linemates or play strong positionally. He was more effective when he played physical, but Kovalchuk caving in his skull in and getting laid out constantly with questionable hits seemed to have neutered his physicality a little bit. Yes, his stat line in his first full NHL season looks reasonably good, but I truly believe Schenn is a player we will always be expecting more from.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
No, you can't use context when evaluating a player!
YOU CAN ONLY USE GIFS.

Old
04-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post

Sure.

He's awful at reading plays. This is why he's forever chasing the puck around and why he struggles to generate offense using anything besides hustle. When he tries to anticipate plays, he often makes a comically wrong decision. He actually did that twice last night, skating off in the exact opposite direction of where the puck ended up going. His failure to read and understand the play leads to him constantly drifting/being out of position, killing offensive pressure and extending time trapped in our own zone. As a center, this makes him pretty damned passive overall on offense. That's why his line is pretty useless if others aren't doing work and setting him up; he sure as hell doesn't seem to have any idea how to drive the play himself. And it's been going on all season.

That's a start, I'm kinda busy at work...I'm sure others can pick up from here and add more examples.

Old
04-23-2014, 04:31 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
YOU CAN ONLY USE GIFS.

Old
04-23-2014, 08:34 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Sure.

He's awful at reading plays. This is why he's forever chasing the puck around and why he struggles to generate offense using anything besides hustle. When he tries to anticipate plays, he often makes a comically wrong decision. He actually did that twice last night, skating off in the exact opposite direction of where the puck ended up going. His failure to read and understand the play leads to him constantly drifting/being out of position, killing offensive pressure and extending time trapped in our own zone. As a center, this makes him pretty damned passive overall on offense. That's why his line is pretty useless if others aren't doing work and setting him up; he sure as hell doesn't seem to have any idea how to drive the play himself. And it's been going on all season.

That's a start, I'm kinda busy at work...I'm sure others can pick up from here and add more examples.
all of these things I can live with from a 22yr old. It's unfortunate the Flyers are depending on him this year to carry a line, which he can't do....but thems the breaks.

Brayden showed in juniors, international, and in limited ahl time that he could be a dominant player. Realistically, I'm giving him 2 more years, if we are still having this conversation then, it's a bad thing.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:40 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I wouldn't mind keeping him or trading him as long as it upgrades our team. I agree with others who have said he doesn't deserve more money than Couturier. But anything over 2.5 per is a bad deal IMO considering his accomplishments so far. 2 years at 2.5 or less is more than fair

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:52 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
There's been plenty of support on this board to show what a woe of a player B. Schenn is.

Simply put: he can't be an effective player because he sucks at playing center and sucks even worse playing wing. There's couple of bad decisions with the puck he continually makes; usually holding on to the puck too long or sending passes into nowhere. He plays with tunnel-vision and its why he can't find linemates or play strong positionally. He was more effective when he played physical, but Kovalchuk caving in his skull in and getting laid out constantly with questionable hits seemed to have neutered his physicality a little bit. Yes, his stat line in his first full NHL season looks reasonably good, but I truly believe Schenn is a player we will always be expecting more from.
Wow, a 22 y/o that holds the puck too long and tries to do too much...stop the presses.

I would commit to just putting on Giroux's or Coots wing and leave him there.
I think he becomes a more athletic Shane Doan.

Last edited by lancer247: 04-23-2014 at 09:00 PM.
lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:59 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Sure.

It's also a sign of a 22 y/o being bounced between position and line mates repeatedly. Many of those error are as much to do with your line mates not knowing where each other are going. He has played on a line where all 3 need someone to get them the puck.

I think the lack of hockey IQ is a little over used on these boards.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I also freely admit to my annoyance/hatred of B. Schenn being completely unreasonable, for what it's worth. I need an offseason to make everything zen between us.

Old
04-23-2014, 10:02 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

wing or bust for Schenn, he's not a pro center

during work I was thinking in the near future what if...
Schenn Giroux RW
LW Couturier Voracek
Read Laughton RW
4th line

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
wing or bust for Schenn, he's not a pro center

during work I was thinking in the near future what if...
Schenn Giroux RW
LW Couturier Voracek
Read Laughton RW
4th line
I like this idea.

Old
04-23-2014, 10:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I also freely admit to my annoyance/hatred of B. Schenn being completely unreasonable, for what it's worth. I need an offseason to make everything zen between us.
VanRiemsdyk wasn't worth our admiration until he was traded for *******...

Just saying...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

JVR also showed more potential than this slovenly, unkempt bum we call "Schenn."

(See? Unreasonable)

Edit: But seriously for a second, he has been in over his head at both ends of the ice as a center, regardless of linemates this year. Yet on several of his goals, he has reminded me a lot of Gagne with the way he found the open space to finish on a pass or find the loose puck.

Maybe instead of trading for a center replacement for one of Richards/Carter, we accidentally acquired our Gagne replacement instead. I can dream?

Edit 2:

Anyone? Yes?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 04-23-2014 at 10:42 PM.