HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 175
i was thinking about this Schenn for Zadorov/Ristolainen?

Old
04-25-2014, 09:58 PM
phil162888

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You've been given exact instances of his poor decision making. It's time for you to start proving he has this IQ as you claim.
I think the 2nd goal pretty much should end the discussion at least about his IQ in the offensive zone. Defensive zone is another story

Old
04-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil162888 View Post
I think the 2nd goal pretty much should end the discussion at least about his IQ in the offensive zone. Defensive zone is another story

I'm gonna need to see a lot less of him going in the exact opposite direction he should before I'm sold.

04-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil162888 View Post

Last edited by Larry44: 04-25-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old
04-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Squad50FF

He also had that nice pass to Lecavalier that gave him a partial break that was stopped.

Old
04-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
Zadorov when we already have Morin?

I doubt they would trade Ristolainen.

Old
04-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
There was no discussion about his hockey sense, only inane babbling by some.
I see you have no actual rebuttal.

Please, prove how his decision making for the last several months has screamed "cerebral player." He's almost as cerebral as Hartnell.

Old
04-25-2014, 10:13 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad50FF View Post
He also had that nice pass to Lecavalier that gave him a partial break that was stopped.
Schenn sees the ice pretty well, he's better than Couturier with the puck. Finding Voracek for the deflection and giving Vinny a shot on the breakaway were some great examples.

Old
04-25-2014, 10:38 PM
PropJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Schenn sees the ice pretty well, he's better than Couturier with the puck. Finding Voracek for the deflection and giving Vinny a shot on the breakaway were some great examples.
Also made a good play to set up Simmonds with a good chance in front of the net in the 2nd (? I think it was the second). I think there's some truth to both arguments and he's better at reading the play when his team is in possession of the puck. His abilities would be a highlighted by line mates who could help him out with possession. Putting him on a line with a guy who can actually carry the puck through the neutral zone would help him out. Instead they place him on a line with a dump and chase guy (Simmonds) who only exacerbates his issues with reading the play on the forecheck. It's pretty annoying to hear about their chemistry when every thing my eyes tell me is that they're a terrible match.

I think Schenn catches way too much flak for his line's performance when Simmonds is just as, if not more culpable. Schenn scored more goals 5v5 than Simmonds and produced almost exactly the same number of points. Simmonds is great on the power play but this fan base gives him way too much of a pass when he gives you almost nothing, like he has this series.

Old
04-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Last year it was clear Schenn couldn't handle 2C duties. Vinny was brought in to be 2C, Schenn was supposed to be on wing somewhere. Well, Vinny has ended up falling completely flat so Schenn is back at 2C, where he still can't handle it.

So technically, the fact that the "Best Player Not In The NHL" has spent long stretches looking like the "Worst Player Not In The AHL*" is on Vinny. Who Schenn and Simmonds now have to drag around.

*It's a joke that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Old
04-25-2014, 11:13 PM
lancer247

Quote:
I'm gonna need to see a lot less of him going in the exact opposite direction he should before I'm sold.
Come on you speak in such generalities when you say he goes in the wrong direction too much. Anyone can easily.say he has gone in the right direction 20+ times this season.

He has played all 3 forward positions so it can be said that he has the intelligence to adapt.

When was the last time you remember the kid taking a bad penalty? Another sign that he has some sense.

Saying a player doesn't have hockey sense is so subjective unless you're talking about a guy like Dykhuis or Rinaldo.

Old
04-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Come on you speak in such generalities when you say he goes in the wrong direction too much. Anyone can easily.say he has gone in the right direction 20+ times this season.

He has played all 3 forward positions so it can be said that he has the intelligence to adapt.

When was the last time you remember the kid taking a bad penalty? Another sign that he has some sense.

Saying a player doesn't have hockey sense is so subjective unless you're talking about a guy like Dykhuis or Rinaldo.
Generalities? I can specifically remember, in Game 3, two distinct instances where he drifted the wrong way in the offensive zone, with the puck going to where he just was, followed by the Rangers bringing it down and establishing possession, all because he veered out of position making a bad choice. And in the first period of the same game he allowed the Rangers to maintain possession when he did the same thing in the defensive zone.

And then there's all the play-chasing he does. It's a rare thing to say "Wow, what a heads up play" for Schenn.

Old
04-25-2014, 11:20 PM
MP92
S.R.

Quote:

game 3. High sticking a Ranger while battling for a puck that he should have let the Ranger touch because there was a delayed penalty and a PP coming our way. He negated that

Old
04-25-2014, 11:24 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Generalities? I can specifically remember, in Game 3, two distinct instances where he drifted the wrong way in the offensive zone, with the puck going to where he just was, followed by the Rangers bringing it down and establishing possession, all because he veered out of position making a bad choice. And in the first period of the same game he allowed the Rangers to maintain possession when he did the same thing in the defensive zone.

And then there's all the play-chasing he does. It's a rare thing to say "Wow, what a heads up play" for Schenn.
I am assuming you have played hockey probably more then me. With the way the Rags dmen get on the puck and move it there are plenty of times guys look like they are zigging when they should be zagging.

Plus he is playing with two guys that the puck has been like a grenade on their sticks this series.

I don't think he is a cerebral playing but I do think you exaggerate his mental short comings.

Old
04-25-2014, 11:27 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
game 3. High sticking a Ranger while battling for a puck that he should have let the Ranger touch because there was a delayed penalty and a PP coming our way. He negated that
Bad call by the ref.

Old
04-25-2014, 11:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I am assuming you have played hockey probably more then me. With the way the Rags dmen get on the puck and move it there are plenty of times guys look like they are zigging when they should be zagging.

Plus he is playing with two guys that the puck has been like a grenade on their sticks this series.

I don't think he is a cerebral playing but I do think you exaggerate his mental short comings.
His mental shortcomings are such that he isn't fit to be a center. He makes the wrong reads and is often out of position as a result.

And this isn't one on one with Rangers Dmen, it's from simple board battles where he completely misreads the situation.

Old
04-25-2014, 11:31 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Bad call by the ref.
No it wasn't but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't take many bad penalties, or penalties in general.

I agree though. People are blowing things out of proportion when they talking about his "IQ".

Regardless he's 22 and is a human being capable of learning.

Old
04-26-2014, 12:12 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
I see you have no actual rebuttal.

Please, prove how his decision making for the last several months has screamed "cerebral player." He's almost as cerebral as Hartnell.
OK Beef, you've gone too far now! I can get behind a good player roast, but this is a line you just don't cross.

I'm disappointed in you.

Old
04-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Blaaah
McDavid pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
OK Beef, you've gone too far now! I can get behind a good player roast, but this is a line you just don't cross.

I'm disappointed in you.
Speaking of the bolded, can we talk about how bad Lecavilier is and how he shouldn't be anywhere near Schenn and Simmonds.

Old
04-26-2014, 11:02 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I don't know about that. Couturier is much better at keeping possession of the puck and infinitely better around the boards.

Old
04-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't know about that. Couturier is much better at keeping possession of the puck and infinitely better around the boards.
True, but coots has a hard time getting his shot off. He can keep possession but usually it is at the expense of being a threat offensively.

Old
04-26-2014, 12:05 PM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
are you meaning for both of them??

Old
04-26-2014, 12:12 PM
south jersey flyer

Schenn hasn't been playing great this series, but all of us have seen him play well. He is capable of scoring 30 goals in a season. He is 22 years old. I would try to resign him to a 3 or 4 year deal around $3 million per year.

I would not trade him unless someone wants to overpay us to get him. He will improve. I think he should be on Giroux's line with Voracek. That would put him with 2 playmakers who will feed him pucks. With his shot, he should flourish with those two.

Old
04-26-2014, 12:15 PM
bennysflyers16

After Berubes latest call, maybe Brayden for Douglas Murray. He's big and slow ?

Old
04-26-2014, 12:51 PM
PropJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Okay, this is an extreme exaggeration. Couturier does not do a very good job carrying the puck into the offensive zone and dumps the puck far too often. I get the gripes with Schenn but lets not act like he doesn't do anything well. His puck possession skills do exist, he's a very good puck handler and can more than handle himself along the boards. His issue is really his skating and the lack of speed on his line. No one creates any space for any one on that line. His playmaking abilities are almost entirely negated by the fact that no one on that line creates any space for each other.

Closed Thread