HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Byfuglien to Isles

Old
01-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Jester9881

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy4president View Post
Okposo stays.......Bailey + pick (2nd) + D prospect (Ness)

You heard the man Winnipeg..... now just put down Big Buff, and back away slowly. We don't want any problems here....

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Jester9881

Yeah, that isn't nearly enough....

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Isleswillrise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I don't speak for all island fans though. OP may see it different.
The only isles fans who want Byfuglien at those prices are shortsighted, fairweather, lets trade the future for today fans.

lets keep our assets until Vanek makes his decision

Isleswillrise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Quick question. Would there be any consideration in moving Buff back to the wing? His knock is his footspeed and decision making on the back end, which wouldn't be as much of a concern on the wing. I just remember how impactful he was in the Cup finals against the Canucks. He was so effective in front of the net and made life hell for Luongo and the Canucks defense. Maybe even a guy you switch back and forth depending on the opposing team?
I personally think we should. But most Jets fans think its a better plan to keep him at D and trade him for a better forward than Byfuglien would be. I'm not so optimistic said trade would ever take place.

He was a ****ing terror against Vancouver both years he played them that's for sure.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Islander Prophet

something around Grabner + one of our younger defenseman (maybe MacDonald would interest WPG)

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Pongs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander Prophet View Post
something around Grabner + one of our younger defenseman (maybe MacDonald would interest WPG)
No thanks

Pongs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 05:43 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Probably more than either of them. Don't even bother asking about Strome, he's not available.
Quote:
None of those guys are available though.
Then Buff isn't either. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Winnipeg isn't going to just give him to you for your scraps.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Pongs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Winnipeg isn't going to just give him to you for your scraps.
This guy gets it.. Seems like lots of people on HF don't

Old
01-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongs21 View Post
You really think there are lots of posters here who think Buff's value is Grabner and impending UFA AMac? I bet you couldn't even find three Islander fans who believe that.

01-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Pongs21

Quote:
You really think there are lots of posters here who think Buff's value is Grabner and impending UFA AMac? I bet you couldn't even find three Islander fans who believe that.
My post did not mention the above players.. My post made reference that Winnipeg will not be accepting scraps for Buff.. And since you've already made it clear earlier in the thread that "Quality pieces are not on the table" then there is nothing to discuss.. If you want Buff on you're team its going to cost you, a lot.. Not scraps

Old
01-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Boreal

I would be motivated to move Byfuglien, but as much as I love the Islanders party bag of spare parts, I'd have to pass. There is just no value there.

I get it that Okposo is not an option, but it would cost the boys from Brooklyn (or soon to be, at least) a quality forward or high quality prospect. Josh Bailey just doesn't come close. Michael Grabner could be interesting as an add-on. He too, is no centrepiece.

Boreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:45 PM
monochrome

Quote:
I'd have to agree. I have no idea what advantage we would have giving up Grabner for Buff. He might not be having an incredible year but hes quick and is usually good on the shootout. We need that more than Buff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I get it that Okposo is not an option, but it would cost the boys from Brooklyn (or soon to be, at least) a quality forward or high quality prospect. Josh Bailey just doesn't come close. Michael Grabner could be interesting as an add-on. He too, is no centrepiece.
with this in mind I'd have to pass too. I don't think we can afford to give up our assets. Even if we don't make the playoffs this year which is looking quite unlikely we did in the shortened season so I think theres still hope for our core group and a playoff run. We just need to entice good UFAs to come over and get signed. We have a good amount to be able to sign people. I'm assuming thats what Snow is trying to accomplish with Vanek.

monochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 109
******* you Islanders. First you make me like your team as loveable underdogs, then you make me become a huge Tavares fan (along with others on the team), and now you're going to throw fans at me that are reasonable and cordial in the the trade forum. Is this real life?

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:54 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
I deal with similar crap in the Girardi threads.

People must think real life works like EA Sports NHL. Then those same people chastise others for crap proposals for their said players.

Comical how it works, isn't it?

Old
01-08-2014, 06:57 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
What would the Jets have to give up to get Hamonic? Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Scheifele, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba, Morrissey and Petan are all off the table.

That's this thread in the mirror. Actually, it's better than this thread in that I at least made it immediately clear I didn't want to give up anything remotely reasonable.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:58 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
******* you Islanders. First you make me like your team as loveable underdogs, then you make me become a huge Tavares fan (along with others on the team), and now you're going to throw fans at me that are reasonable and cordial in the the trade forum. Is this real life?
You are always welcome to change colors

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:59 PM
boredmale

As much as Buff would be an improvement to the Islanders defense he isn't the type of defenseman they need(ie they need players who are good in their own zone) and would cost to much

The added offensive punch would be nice but I don't think scoring is the Islanders problem

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Seanahue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
While there are many things I love about the Islanders, I am still not on the same page color wise :p

Old
01-08-2014, 07:03 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Got a funny feeling he'd be joining the dark side (Rangers) before the Isles after that post.

Old
01-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
My post did not mention the above players.. My post made reference that Winnipeg will not be accepting scraps for Buff.. And since you've already made it clear earlier in the thread that "Quality pieces are not on the table" then there is nothing to discuss.. If you want Buff on you're team its going to cost you, a lot.. Not scraps
Yeah, the main problem here is that I never said the Isles had a chance of getting Buff. We're not putting guys like Nelson and Strome on the table, and we don't really have the other sorts of assets that would bring in a top four defender.

I didn't suggest a scraps for Buff deal, I indicated that a deal was not there because the Isles didn't have the quality pieces to move.

That said, I disagree that Buff would cost "a lot" (depending on what you mean by a lot) because he is too flawed a player. I think some Jets fans believe that he is a top pairing stud defender, and I don't see that as the case. Too weak in how own end...

Not only would you not find Islander fans who think Buff has trade value as low as Grabner (who, I basically see as having no value right now), I also don't think you would find a lot of Islander fans who hope for a trade involving Buff.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I feel like the Islanders would have to be willing to give up one of their defensemen and their 1st (which might require a post-season trade as to see which position they are drafting at). So like Hamonic + 1st. Without knowing the draft position, Islanders will either have to just accept it or wait and then you can figure out exactly how much who should add. For example, if they draft at 10, it's probably fair. If they draft 3rd, then Hamonic maybe the Jets have to add a 3rd, etc. It's pretty impossible to tell but the Islanders will definitely be getting the best player in the deal and yeah, I know Hamonic is your first pairing D but you are getting an upgrade that I think you'll be able to deal with.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:12 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
If they draft 3rd, then Hamonic maybe the Jets have to add a 3rd, etc.
If the Islanders draft 3rd I wouldn't give up Hamonic or the 3rd pick overall for Buff, let alone both. With the 3rd pick on the table I would set my sites a bit higher then Byfuglien

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I feel like the Islanders would have to be willing to give up one of their defensemen and their 1st (which might require a post-season trade as to see which position they are drafting at). So like Hamonic + 1st. .
I wouldn't give up Hamonic straight up for Buff. Hamonic is already far better than Buff in his own end, and is only going to get better.

Quote:
Without knowing the draft position, Islanders will either have to just accept it or wait and then you can figure out exactly how much who should add. For example, if they draft at 10, it's probably fair. If they draft 3rd, then Hamonic maybe the Jets have to add a 3rd, etc. It's pretty impossible to tell but the Islanders will definitely be getting the best player in the deal and yeah, I know Hamonic is your first pairing D but you are getting an upgrade that I think you'll be able to deal with.
The Isles can't trade their first. It belongs to Buffalo. They have the right to defer the pick after the season ends if they are top 10. Right now though they cannot move it.

And, I do not see how Buff is an upgrade over Hamonic. He is older, makes more money, and far less consistent in his own zone. He is obviously more skilled offensively but at some point you need dmen who actually are steady in their own end.

Buff on the Island would have an absolutely humiliating plus/minus.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:19 PM
monochrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
While there are many things I love about the Islanders, I am still not on the same page color wise :p

don't forget home and away, and rumor has it we'll be retiring that third anyway

Quote:
Buff on the Island would have an absolutely humiliating plus/minus.
Another reason why I can't see giving up much for him. Its not that he isn't a great player, I just don't see where he would fit with the Islanders and do well for himself and our team.

monochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Seanahue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Got a funny feeling he'd be joining the dark side (Rangers) before the Isles after that post.
Eeeeeeeesh. No way in hell!