HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Niedermayer- Who's Left

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2005, 01:50 AM
GnomE

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh never really had a great interest in him:
From the Pittsburghlive.com:

Quote:
His agent, Kevin Epp, said he had spoke to Patrick but wouldn't classify the Penguins as one of the 8-10 teams that have shown real interest in picking up the 2003-04 Norris Trophy winner out of the 15 or 16 he's talked to.

"I think they're just looking around, feeling the waters," Epp said. "And we're still kind of talking and listening and seeing what people are going to do. We're not anywhere close to getting a deal done."

Epp said they're looking for an annual salary of around $6.5-$7 million for Niedermayer.

"I don't think (the Penguins) are prepared to do that at this time," he said. "I think they wanted to see who was out there. They didn't say one way or another. But I think it depends on who they have in goal and what the price tag was there."

Epp does not believe the Penguins are looking for a backup goaltender, either.

"I think they're going after an elite goaltender," he said. "I think they're in the market to win right now."
I think the Penguins will sign Rafalski. no idea where Niedermayer will end up though.

Old
08-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Polska

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangler19
If the Nucks did sign Niedermyer and Buffalo gets left out of the UFA defenceman signings then what about:

To Vancouver:

Biron, Afinogenov

To Buffalo: Jovanoski

That would be an awesome move.

Jovanoski has always been too careless for my liking and even though both Biron and Afinogenov haven't proven their worth they're both amazing talents that IMO are worth the risk. Especially Afinogenov, man would it be sweet to get some of that electricity back that Bure brought. Naslund is a premier player and very reliable, but Bure was ****ing magic.

Old
08-03-2005, 02:28 AM
Randall Graves*

this from 'noodles' from the canucks website..

kevin epp thinks nucks needs to rethink the cap issue in the team if naslund is signed
-epp in discussions with oilers
-had discussions with flames
-does not think canucks are out
-scott's interest level playing for vancouver: alot of interest
-all offers sent to niedermayer camp 'has not disappointed'
-niedermayer is 'definetely a 7 million plus player'
-nidermayer could wait a few more days to sign
-anaheim in talks with niedermayer these last few days
-epp will probably speak with vancouver again in the future
-a chance niedermayer would play with lower salary, that 'is fair'

Old
08-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Agreed, the Canucks can then go shopping on the UFA market to find a winger for the Sedins.

That said, a defense of Jovo, Ohlund, and Niedermayer would be downright scary for the opposition. I like Niedermayer, but I don't like losing Jovo. His grit, heart and physical play would be sorely lacked by the Canucks IMO. I'd have no problems going into next season with the same foward group with this defense:

Niedermayer-Jovanovski
Ohlund-Sopel
Allen-Salo

That's crazy.
how are the canucks going to afford the morrison,sedins,bertuzzi,ohlund,jovo,naslund AND niedermayer?

Old
08-03-2005, 03:22 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
how are the canucks going to afford the morrison,sedins,bertuzzi,ohlund,jovo,naslund AND niedermayer?
Payroll management?

Old
08-03-2005, 03:45 AM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

Quote:
I don't really understand why the Canucks wouldn't be able to add Niedermayer.

Assuming Naslund's new contract clocks in at around 5 million, we'd be back at the 03-04 payroll level, at 32 or so million (after the 24% rollback). Malik is gone (1.7 million), along with a handful of other players (Hedberg, Arvedson, Keane?, etc.), so that money is used to re-sign whoever to new contracts.

After all is said and done, Vancouver should have around 5 million of cap room to add a free agent. Remember, Naslund is merely a player RE-SIGNING with the Canucks, he is not a new addition to the team. If Niedermayer thinks that a 5-5.5 million contract is too low for him, then he's out of his mind.

Old
08-03-2005, 03:48 AM
Colorado Avalanche

how about New jersey?

Old
08-03-2005, 03:48 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Just as a value comparison thing:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Wednesday/2005/08/03/1157619-sun.html

Pronger signs for 6M/year.

Nieds should go for around the same, if not less.

thefourthperiod.com has an interview with Oilers assistant GM Howson which indicates the Oilers were, but are now no longer in talks with Niedermeyer.

Old
08-03-2005, 04:03 AM
Kimi

Quote:
this from 'noodles' from the canucks website..

kevin epp thinks nucks needs to rethink the cap issue in the team if naslund is signed
-epp in discussions with oilers
-had discussions with flames
-does not think canucks are out
-scott's interest level playing for vancouver: alot of interest
-all offers sent to niedermayer camp 'has not disappointed'
-niedermayer is 'definetely a 7 million plus player'
-nidermayer could wait a few more days to sign
-anaheim in talks with niedermayer these last few days
-epp will probably speak with vancouver again in the future
-a chance niedermayer would play with lower salary, that 'is fair'
Is that Rob or Scott; I know we've been in talks with Rob, and on the radio Burke said that he had not talked to the agent about Scott.

Old
08-03-2005, 04:07 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

That would be Scott, and thats what Epp said.

Old
08-03-2005, 04:27 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

I am a devils fan since 1985, and ive followed Scott Niedermayers career from day one. He wont be back in New Jersey. He downright hates Lou Lamoriello after holding out twice before. But Vancouver may not be able to pay him.

My prediction............

He signs with Detroit.

Old
08-03-2005, 05:06 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04

He signs with Detroit.
Where does Detroit get the 7 million in Cap room from?

Old
08-03-2005, 05:17 AM
boredmale

Quote:
they will hire the fans of the leafs as accountants for the team

Old
08-03-2005, 06:19 AM
PEli*

Apparently, the Devils have a news conference scheduled today to announce a big signing. Nieds for 5 years, 32M. Check Devils board for info.

Take it for what it's worth.

Old
08-03-2005, 06:23 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
Apparently, the Devils have a news conference scheduled today to announce a big signing. Nieds for 5 years, 32M. Check Devils board for info.

Take it for what it's worth.
personally i hope he stays, it increases the Islanders chance to sign Rafalski. And if Rafalski doesn't sign with the Islanders he might sign elsewhere leaving another UFA defenseman to come to the island

Old
08-03-2005, 07:30 AM
hank_scorpio

my predicition is this:

Niedermayer signs in Vancouver for 6.5-7M per year

To Pittsburgh: either Ed Jovanovski or Mattias Ohlund
To Vancouver: Aleksey Morozov

Old
08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank_scorpio
my predicition is this:

Niedermayer signs in Vancouver for 6.5-7M per year

To Pittsburgh: either Ed Jovanovski or Mattias Ohlund
To Vancouver: Aleksey Morozov
Nonis has already said that both Jovo and Ohlund will be in the lineup for the canucks next season as neither will be dealt (responding to the many Jovo trade rumours in Vancouver).

Ohlund for sure isn't going anywhere... he's the backbone of the canucks defense and wants to stay in Vancouver long term.

Old
08-03-2005, 07:53 AM
hank_scorpio

if nonis won't part with either of them, then he won't be getting nieds. way too much money committed to defense on that team...and if the rumors that naslund has resigned are true, i'll be the first to say vancouver is officially out of the Niedermayer sweepstakes...

Old
08-03-2005, 07:55 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank_scorpio
if nonis won't part with either of them, then he won't be getting nieds. way too much money committed to defense on that team...and if the rumors that naslund has resigned are true, i'll be the first to say vancouver is officially out of the Niedermayer sweepstakes...
somehow I doubt you're the first to say that... I think most people thought that they'd be out of the Niedermayer sweepstakes once Naslund is signed.

Old
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
hank_scorpio

you're wrong. i'm the first

Old
08-03-2005, 08:57 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
I am a devils fan since 1985, and ive followed Scott Niedermayers career from day one. He wont be back in New Jersey. He downright hates Lou Lamoriello after holding out twice before. But Vancouver may not be able to pay him.

My prediction............

He signs with Detroit.
I think you're absolutely wrong...Most players love playing in NJ because of the way LL runs the team..Yes, negotiating with Lou is difficult..but as Larry Robinson said " the Devils are the most professionally run team in the NHL..very few players ever want to leave NJ after they have played here" I say Nieds stays and you eat your words...

Old
08-03-2005, 09:01 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I think you're absolutely wrong...Most players love playing in NJ because of the way LL runs the team..Yes, negotiating with Lou is difficult..but as Larry Robinson said " the Devils are the most professionally run team in the NHL..very few players ever want to leave NJ after they have played here" I say Nieds stays and you eat your words...
I'm sorry but don't we get statements like that from a lot of different people in different organizations?

if it's true, then you can probably track it in terms of players that have chosen to stay in Jersey when they had the option of leaving via FA. How many such examples are there, and how is this different than other NHL teams.

I know there have been players that have signed for possibly less... but I also remember guys like Holik and Mogilny leaving as FA - and in Holik's case, he was offered pretty much the same as the Rangers offered.

Not saying that Nieds won't return to Jersey (especially now that it seems like his options with all 3 western Canadian teams is not there anymore).... but Niedermayer did make it clear that he was looking at other options first, and did turn down a long term deal with the devils already to look at FA... he's also said many times how he'd like to live in Western Canada, and especially his interest in Vancouver.

Now that other options seem to have gone, it wouldn't surprise me to see Niedermayer back in Jersey... but I think most people will agree that the Devils weren't his first choice when he first hit FA.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Elite09

Calgary is closer to his and his wife's hometown. 4 hour drive compared to 10 from Vancouver.

Calgary is still in the running. They also have a press conference for today. We know they will talk about Amonte and McCarty, but maybe to also say Neidermayer.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:09 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I know there have been players that have signed for possibly less... but I also remember guys like Holik and Mogilny leaving as FA - and in Holik's case, he was offered pretty much the same as the Rangers offered.
Mogilny was willing to take slightly less money or equal pay......Lou told his agent "You should see what else is out there"

Many people believe Lou let him walk (told him to walk) because of his lackluster playoff performances.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:12 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chistov23
I think it would be Salei and his 1.82 qualifier. We have about 5-5.5 we could offer, trading salei would allow us to offer at or slightly above 6 along with 800,000-1m to sign a 5/6 d-man to play with Popovic. Also I don't think Burke likes having Carney, Vish and Salei in our top 4 as he wants the D to be activated, something these guys are not to great at.
Buffalo will gladly take Salei and his contract... what do you want in return?

Ta,

Closed Thread