HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrej Meszároš

Old
01-19-2014, 05:04 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Mez at forward is a pretty intriguing idea.

I wouldn't mind just rolling with 11 forwards and 7 D either. Rosehill sits, Gustafsson in. Everyone's happy.
This idea is intriguing.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 05:42 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Mez at forward is a pretty intriguing idea.

I wouldn't mind just rolling with 11 forwards and 7 D either. Rosehill sits, Gustafsson in. Everyone's happy.
Everyone but flyersfan28

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 06:58 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I wonder if they've actually ever had the discussion of Burnsing him.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:01 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I'm really hoping the Flyers trade him. His stock just keeps going up, and he's not in the long-term plans. If they can get something of value for him, do it.
Exactly...Mez is a free agent this year and trading him now when his value is at highest is always good.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:28 AM
xifentoozlerix

I don't think Meszaros would look good at forward. Jumping up into the rush from the backend or making a hard move to the net from the point seem to be his strengths. I don't think he would do well playing out of the corners or off the half wall on the wing, and I am not sure how he would look receiving the first pass out of the d-zone rather than making the first pass. It just isn't the same sort of offensive skillset in a PMD and a winger IMO.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

He's also been playing against mostly bad defenses and backup goalies lately.

Let's wait and see what happens against good goalies and good teams...probably what was happening before, odd man rushes the other way.

01-20-2014, 01:52 PM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's also been playing against mostly bad defenses and backup goalies lately.

Let's wait and see what happens against good goalies and good teams...probably what was happening before, odd man rushes the other way.
You can't be serious. His stretch of good play has taken us through about 1/3 of the league, does it need to got through the other 2/3s for you to give a lick of credit to him? I understand there's reservations about the guy but he's a big part of our Wins lately right in the midst of when our ES production was falling through the ice. Its a small sample but give the guy some credit because its certainly due. If you want a bigger sample just backlog to before he went through the flurry injuries-- He was always producing for us. Considering how good of an injury comeback story this is for him right now, Im not sure why you choose to look at the few negatives over all the positives he's got going for him and his teammates right now.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
You can't be serious. His stretch of good play has taken us through about 1/3 of the league, does it need to got through the other 2/3s for you to give a lick of credit to him? I understand there's reservations about the guy but he's a big part of our Wins lately right in the midst of when our ES production was falling through the ice. Its a small sample but give the guy some credit because its certainly due. If you want a bigger sample just backlog to before he went through the flurry injuries-- He was always producing for us. Considering how good of an injury comeback story this is for him right now, Im not sure why you choose to look at the few negatives over all the positives he's got going for him and his teammates right now.
Wait, seriously? Look at the teams he's faced and produced against. The majority are weak defensively or weak in net.

For the majority of his playing time he's done a minimal amount offensively while being a detriment defensively.

You're looking at a hot streak and getting excited. I'm looking at the whole picture. Frankly, he does have to do quite a bit more to prove himself.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:14 PM
tymed

Quote:
Wait, seriously? Look at the teams he's faced and produced against. The majority are weak defensively or weak in net.

For the majority of his playing time he's done a minimal amount offensively while being a detriment defensively.

You're looking at a hot streak and getting excited. I'm looking at the whole picture. Frankly, he does have to do quite a bit more to prove himself.
I wasn't entirely disagreeing with the competition but that doesn't mean you don't give the guy credit. Its over 10 games nonetheless and it's been getting us wins.

The whole picture? Actually the whole picture is that other than the 30 games of major injury recovery in which he's proved to struggle in, he's always produced for us. That's a fact.

Old
01-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
I wasn't entirely disagreeing with the competition but that doesn't mean you don't give the guy credit. Its over 10 games nonetheless and it's been getting us wins.

The whole picture? Actually the whole picture is that other than the 30 games of major injury recovery in which he's proved to struggle in, he's always produced for us. That's a fact.
So, in the one year 3 years ago prior to a lot of major injuries?

That's why I doubt this 10 game streak is the norm.

Old
01-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

To me, there are multiple ways to look at Mesz come the Trade Deadline... Being a UFA come 7/1, of course he is completely lost if not signed or dealt... Trading him for assets gains something rather than nothing... But, trading him for assets and then trading assets for a rental still nets zero come 7/1 and only a stretch/PO player... One way to look at it is that Mesz could be the same as a Rental if he is kept and is of value down the stretch. If Homer feels we need other area help, than move Mesz and flip assets and adjusts strengths... However, keeping Mesz and having his strengths to use and then letting him walk 7/1 is not necessarily losing him for nothing. Also, Mesz could be moved for a lower pick before 7/1 to a team that may want a leg up in signing him, if he is in the sights of that team... so he would then be used by the Flyers and then also bring them a minor asset.

All this, as I see it, gives the Flyers options that they would not have if he were not playing well... or if the Flyers were dead set at moving him at the TDL.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 03:24 PM
tymed

Quote:
So, in the one year 3 years ago prior to a lot of major injuries?

That's why I doubt this 10 game streak is the norm.
He won Ashbee in his first year here, ya.

Next season until he needed surgery to remove disk fragments from his back, he was producing at the exact same clip through 60+ games.

After finally recovering from back surgery and not skating, he tears his Achilles in recovery workouts and is again sitting on his ass, for about a year at this point. Somehow makes it back for late last January where he struggled through 4 games to get upto speed, which was to be expected. Goes in for what was it, double shoulder surgeries, or just one? comes back late and struggles again through 7 whole games and then into the off-season.

Struggles no worse than the rest of the team to start this season, but gets whipped on because he was already the whipping boy. Now on a streak of PPG over the last 11 or 12, helping us win games and you can't give him a sliver of credit?

Give me a break, seriously----The guy has been producing at 30+ pace his whole career aside from a cpl season in Tampa which was a defensive graveyard for so many years. And also aside from a whole 11-game season after Back, Achilles, and Shoulder surgeries.

I wasn't even discussing him as a player to begin with--All I was saying to you is that you should give him credit because it's due because it looks stupid coming in here and ******** on the guy while he makes big contributions to your favorite team winning games while you can't get over the fact that a guy has to recover from ****. Get over it.

Old
01-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
I'm not sure what "ya" means, but that selection was laughably terribad. Kimmo did all the heavy lifting that season, which allowed for Mesz to feast on the plugs of the league. When he started getting serious minutes, everybody saw what he is, and what his limitations are. ****ing joke of a slight to one of this team's most consistent leaders, for the better part of a decade.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 03:47 PM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
I'm not sure what "ya" means, but that selection was laughably terribad. Kimmo did all the heavy lifting that season, which allowed for Mesz to feast on the plugs of the league. When he started getting serious minutes, everybody saw what he is, and what his limitations are. ****ing joke of a slight to one of this team's most consistent leaders, for the better part of a decade.
I said "ya" because I was referring back to the only time-frame Beef referred to to begin with. Ya know? My point about that to begin with is that he was obviously seen by the brass and coaching staff as being a valuable asset to the team and not to compare him to someone like Timonen. Sorry that the award threw you off.

Again, I dunno why I have to keep stating this point--- I am not sitting here saying he's a 4-million dollar player or that he's one of our better guys, or so such n' so. Simply that he deserves some credit, and not only for the steady production he's provided us since he got here (outside of a reasonable recovery time) but also because of the perseverance he's shown and the respected teammate that he is.

Certainly doesn't warrant the ******** you guys are spitting out anyways.

Old
01-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

Next season until he needed surgery to remove disk fragments from his back, he was producing at the exact same clip through 60+ games.

After finally recovering from back surgery and not skating, he tears his Achilles in recovery workouts and is again sitting on his ass, for about a year at this point. Somehow makes it back for late last January where he struggled through 4 games to get upto speed, which was to be expected. Goes in for what was it, double shoulder surgeries, or just one? comes back late and struggles again through 7 whole games and then into the off-season.

Struggles no worse than the rest of the team to start this season, but gets whipped on because he was already the whipping boy. Now on a streak of PPG over the last 11 or 12, helping us win games and you can't give him a sliver of credit?

Give me a break, seriously----The guy has been producing at 30+ pace his whole career aside from a cpl season in Tampa which was a defensive graveyard for so many years. And also aside from a whole 11-game season after Back, Achilles, and Shoulder surgeries.

I wasn't even discussing him as a player to begin with--All I was saying to you is that you should give him credit because it's due because it looks stupid coming in here and ******** on the guy while he makes big contributions to your favorite team winning games while you can't get over the fact that a guy has to recover from ****. Get over it.
The Ashbee, as mentioned, was terrible. Kimmo deserved that award, Mez got it because he hit more.

Mez hasn't been a consistent offensive producer since 2007-8.

He flat out isn't a PPG producer. He never has been. He peaks at 36 points, and that was a long time ago. Even in his great year in 2010 with a great offense he didn't break that total. So, maybe it's time for you to "get the **** over it" and instead of throwing an itty bitty temper tantrum because people arent jumping all over his bandwagon, maybe you should be realistic, realize Mez has never been THIS good for an extended period, and when combined with stiffer competition down the road, the wear and tear he's faced with injuries, and his defensive shortcomings, that it's VERY likely he will fall back down to earth.

He's been great in January, but one month doesn't magically change what he is. I apologize for realizing that. Wait, I don't.

Also, he wasn't a whipping boy to start the season. He wasn't some undeserving target. He was truly horrific. He was truly horrific up through December. There's a reason all of Gus' stats were better until this month. There was a reason the team was producing less with Mez on. There was a reason the team was getting scored on at an alarming rate with Mez on, even when he faced weak competition.

You're very clearly overrating a player on a hot streak. It's great and all, but there's zero reason to believe it'll continue. He's a sub .5ppg player throughout his career; this 1ppg thing isn't gonna last, and I don't understand why you get so outrageously indignant because I dared to point out the obvious.

Edit: Hell, even today he had 3-4 really rough defensive plays. Luckily nothing ended up in the back of the net. Eventually, they will. I prefer Dmen who don't make those errors, so you don't have to worry about them needing a hot streak to consistently outscore their mistakes.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-20-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old
01-20-2014, 04:27 PM
tymed

Quote:
The Ashbee, as mentioned, was terrible. Kimmo deserved that award, Mez got it because he hit more.

Mez hasn't been a consistent offensive producer since 2007-8.

He flat out isn't a PPG producer. He never has been. He peaks at 36 points, and that was a long time ago. Even in his great year in 2010 with a great offense he didn't break that total. So, maybe it's time for you to "get the **** over it" and instead of throwing an itty bitty temper tantrum because people arent jumping all over his bandwagon, maybe you should be realistic, realize Mez has never been THIS good for an extended period, and when combined with stiffer competition down the road, the wear and tear he's faced with injuries, and his defensive shortcomings, that it's VERY likely he will fall back down to earth.

He's been great in January, but one month doesn't magically change what he is. I apologize for realizing that. Wait, I don't.

Also, he wasn't a whipping boy to start the season. He wasn't some undeserving target. He was truly horrific. He was truly horrific up through December. There's a reason all of Gus' stats were better until this month. There was a reason the team was producing less with Mez on. There was a reason the team was getting scored on at an alarming rate with Mez on, even when he faced weak competition.

You're very clearly overrating a player on a hot streak. It's great and all, but there's zero reason to believe it'll continue. He's a sub .5ppg player throughout his career; this 1ppg thing isn't gonna last, and I don't understand why you get so outrageously indignant because I dared to point out the obvious.

Edit: Hell, even today he had 3-4 really rough defensive plays. Luckily nothing ended up in the back of the net. Eventually, they will. I prefer Dmen who don't make those errors, so you don't have to worry about them needing a hot streak to consistently outscore their mistakes.

-Already replied to the Ashbee thing.

-Aside from his time in Tampa and 20-30 games here recovering from back, achilles, and shoulder surgeries, yes... actually he has produced consistently.

-Im not reacting to this hot streak, I've been a fan of him his entire career, which is why im giving more details and facts about it-- or maybe you're just not wanting to go there. I don't care who is or isn't on his bandwagon, especially around here. I was only meaning to point out how dumb it looks to come around ******** on a guy while he's carrying a major load of the team atm.

-What the hell is this PPG and even .5PPG talk about? were not talking about a guy who anyone expects to be producing in the top-20 for his positions. The guy steadily produces at a .4PPG pace from defence....and with Zero powerplay time. That is actually VERY productive. But again, who called him a PPG or even .5PPG player?

Last time im saying it, and last time Im replying to you about this because you're quoting me but replying to your own thoughts in the mirror.---I said he deserves some credit for the teams recent success.

Outside of the month or two box your reasoning is stuck in-- his 9-year career is telling a completely different story. Not sorry to say.

Old
01-20-2014, 04:38 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:

-Aside from his time in Tampa and 20-30 games here recovering from back, achilles, and shoulder surgeries, yes... actually he has produced consistently.

-Im not reacting to this hot streak, I've been a fan of him his entire career, which is why im giving more details and facts about it-- or maybe you're just not wanting to go there. I don't care who is or isn't on his bandwagon, especially around here. I was only meaning to point out how dumb it looks to come around ******** on a guy while he's carrying a major load of the team atm.

-What the hell is this PPG and even .5PPG talk about? were not talking about a guy who anyone expects to be producing in the top-20 for his positions. The guy steadily produces at a .4PPG pace from defence....and with Zero powerplay time. That is actually VERY productive. But again, who called him a PPG or even .5PPG player?

Last time im saying it, and last time Im replying to you about this because you're quoting me but replying to your own thoughts in the mirror.---I said he deserves some credit for the teams recent success.

Outside of the month or two box your reasoning is stuck in-- his 9-year career is telling a completely different story. Not sorry to say.
Just going to throw it out there, he hasnt been bad as a #5/6 defender. Anything higher and he has been a disaster. Meszaros, throughout his entire career, has played weak opponents and has done average defensively. That's a fact with 9 years of statistics backing it up.

Scoring goals and setting things up is nice to have a defender...if he could play defense...which he does horrendously. He is an overpaid 3rd pairing defender. This is the truth.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

That's fine. I give him credit. I've given him credit elsewhere.

My entire point here is, "let's not forget who he is." He's a bottom pairing Dman who needs to outscore his defensive mistakes to be worthwhile, and I'm not sure that's entirely worthwhile.

Old
01-20-2014, 04:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

He was bad today. One bad pinch combined with the puck jumping over Luke's stick lead to a 2-0, luckily Emery made the save but Mez should have been back when Luke tries to make that play that's just backing up your d partner. Another sloppy play lead to a 2-1 early in the first with Luke back. And later in the game he had a horrendous turnover in his own zone, he just threw the puck in the slot .

None of his mistakes lead to a goal against but the point stands that he's terrible in his own zone.

Lots of people rag on Luke but he's dealing with garbage like that all the time, he's looked much better with Gus and with Kimmo. What Mez is doing offensively recently has been great but he needs to be in order to balance the scales so to speak.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:14 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
I said "ya" because I was referring back to the only time-frame Beef referred to to begin with. Ya know? My point about that to begin with is that he was obviously seen by the brass and coaching staff as being a valuable asset to the team and not to compare him to someone like Timonen. Sorry that the award threw you off.

Again, I dunno why I have to keep stating this point--- I am not sitting here saying he's a 4-million dollar player or that he's one of our better guys, or so such n' so. Simply that he deserves some credit, and not only for the steady production he's provided us since he got here (outside of a reasonable recovery time) but also because of the perseverance he's shown and the respected teammate that he is.

Certainly doesn't warrant the ******** you guys are spitting out anyways.
****ing AMEN.
Everyone's groupthink on here is: "Mez sucks, he's always sucked and don't let facts get in the way of my narrative. When he was mvp it was weak opposition. Gus has limitless potential bc he's undrafted -- I don't care if Gus is sheltered as much as mez, that guy sucks.

And I agree, he's been a trooper for someone with near career ending adversity. Give him a ****ing break, he clearly cares more than most.

1 year 3.5mil

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:21 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Honestly, I would do 1 year 2million max and I honestly would rather use that money on someone else. He hasn't been healthy since his first season here. And while he does have offensive skills, he is probably our worst defender in our own zone. It is time to move on from him and hope he goes on to have a healthy career and life.

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Garbage Goal

I don't think anybody denies that right now he's our best offensive weapon at D. However, he's also clearly our worst D at...actual D.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
****ing AMEN.
Everyone's groupthink on here is: "Mez sucks, he's always sucked and don't let facts get in the way of my narrative. When he was mvp it was weak opposition. Gus has limitless potential bc he's undrafted -- I don't care if Gus is sheltered as much as mez, that guy sucks.

And I agree, he's been a trooper for someone with near career ending adversity. Give him a ****ing break, he clearly cares more than most.

1 year 3.5mil
Except Gus has been better defensively for a while now and before the last 10 games he was better offensively as well while facing harder comp, with the same d partner. Not to mention he's younger, doesn't have the injury concerns and he's cheaper going forward.

Mez right now is pure offense but he's beyond terrible in his own zone. Also where is this he's got "limitless potential bc he's undrafted" bs coming from. You've said this multiple times but you're the only one I've ever seen say that. It's obvious you just don't like Gus, I mean why else would you start a value of thread for him in the trade board?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Except Gus has been better defensively for a while now and before the last 10 games he was better offensively as well while facing harder comp, with the same d partner. Not to mention he's younger, doesn't have the injury concerns and he's cheaper going forward.

Mez right now is pure offense but he's beyond terrible in his own zone. Also where is this he's got "limitless potential bc he's undrafted" bs coming from. You've said this multiple times but you're the only one I've ever seen say that. It's obvious you just don't like Gus, I mean why else would you start a value of thread for him in the trade board?
It's always funny when people invent ghost quotes to argue against.

Old
01-22-2014, 06:20 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
It's always funny when people invent ghost quotes to argue against.
yeah like all these guys saying mez will sustain a PPG pace

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote