HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wed., Jan. 8, 2014| Canadiens 1 at Flyers 3

Old
01-09-2014, 10:17 AM
onlylordsvsmorebp
#gudassnipe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The one criticism I have from last night was that they continue to turn the puck over in their own zone with regularity, even when not pressured. Those stretches where the Canadiens played keep-away in the Flyers zone were extended on several nonchalant attempts to clear the zone or when Flyers (in the plural) were spinning around with the puck in their skates. Against stronger opposition, those pucks tend to get fished out of the net shortly thereafter.
i agree.for a few games they were really dealing w/pressure in their own end well,moving the puck up the boards or at least making a concentrated effort to work it out of our end under control.you could tell it was a priority.now half the time when the pucks inside our blueline it instantly looks like opposing team has A power play.we look desperate and disjointed.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Hexastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayonnaiseOreo View Post
Dammit, you beat me to this post. I really love that album. Come On! Feel the Illinoise! is an incredible song.
In my opinion that's one of the best albums of all time.

Hexastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp View Post
i agree.for a few games they were really dealing w/pressure in their own end well,moving the puck up the boards or at least making a concentrated effort to work it out of our end under control.you could tell it was a priority.now half the time when the pucks inside our blueline it instantly looks like opposing team has A power play.we look desperate and disjointed.
It's an improvement from the Laviolette system, where the 2 defensemen played Pong behind the net while the forwards all raced to the opposition's blue line. They have taken great strides in short passes to moving teammates for effective breakouts. However, the fumbling of pucks and shooting them right to opposing point men is going to bite them hard in games.

As well, their positioning creates difficult puck tracking and seems to leave forwards way too open. Crisp-passing teams frequently make the Flyers look foolish in their own end.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Hiesenberg

The Flyers still need a more offensive blue line. Somebody like Gus or Schenn may take the hit for it, but lets face it, the 3 locks on this D are Gross/Coburn/Streit (after this year).

Schenn/Gus are toss ups.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
The Flyers still need a more offensive blue line. Somebody like Gus or Schenn may take the hit for it, but lets face it, the 3 locks on this D are Gross/Coburn/Streit (after this year).

Schenn/Gus are toss ups.
I disagree. Schenn is a lock. He is right-handed. We could really use another one. No way we subtract one.

Grossmann however, I could see moving. Other teams would be interested in him. He is a perfectly good 'defensive dman' on an ok contract.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

Schenn/Gus are toss ups.
Lets really face facts now. Who really is a lock on the backend if the right deal comes along? For me I hope that Schenn, Grossmann and Streit are back and the Flyers build off of that. Coburn has a lot of value around the league. I would like him to stay also. But who knows? Is Gus really a player who has the talent to be an impact player one day? I like him but for me he is not a lock. There are young players now in the system who are going to start moving up the chain as early as next year so the Flyers have their work cut out for them which is a good thing.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:36 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

Schenn/Gus are toss ups.
I would like to pick up Goligoski at some point. I think he could fill a hole here nicely and would basically just replace Mez next year in terms of cap and maybe fill some of the void left my Kimmo if he in fact does retire. But he wouldn't come cheap and most definitely wouldn't be worth it.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:40 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Lets really face facts now. Who really is a lock on the backend if the right deal comes along? For me I hope that Schenn, Grossmann and Streit are back and the Flyers build off of that. Coburn has a lot of value around the league. I would like him to stay also. But who knows? Is Gus really a player who has the talent to be an impact player one day? I like him but for me he is not a lock. There are young players now in the system who are going to start moving up the chain as early as next year so the Flyers have their work cut out for them which is a good thing.
He's extremely cheap and is doing a good job filling the role asked of him (solid in his own zone and to help move the puck). IMO hes a very good #6. I see no reason to move him.

You can't have a team full of 4+ mil defenders and no one outside of Alt should be considered next season. Let them play and develop.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I disagree. Schenn is a lock. He is right-handed. We could really use another one. No way we subtract one.

Grossmann however, I could see moving. Other teams would be interested in him. He is a perfectly good 'defensive dman' on an ok contract.
Being right handed shouldn't make him a lock. He needs to be good. Coburn is really the only one out of that 4 that can skate and he's getting older. They need skaters on the D.

Gus can skate, but can he be consistent

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Danny Briere 5 on 5 tonight...

... Yup, sounds about standard. Boy, do I not miss that guy.
he played ? i didnt notice him. nice guy. should be a healthy scratch , tho.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 04:24 PM
GapToothedWonder

Quote:
Being right handed shouldn't make him a lock. He needs to be good. Coburn is really the only one out of that 4 that can skate and he's getting older. They need skaters on the D.

Gus can skate, but can he be consistent
He's 28. How young would you like our defence to be?

GapToothedWonder is online now   Reply With Quote