HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

01/09/14 - Minnesota Wild @ Phoenix Coyotes - 8pm CST - FS-North, FS-Arizona

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2014, 01:09 PM
  #26
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,762
vCash: 500
This is definitely a very important game to win. Phoenix is going to be one of those teams they fight for a playoff spot for and a 4 game winning streak will most assuredly start righting the ship a little bit. Can't afford this to go to OT though....no points for PHX tonight.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:42 PM
  #27
Avder
Animated to Explode
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: (_o)/
Country: United States
Posts: 38,868
vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
Looks like it might be Backstrom tonight

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 14m
Niklas Backstrom could be getting the nod. Taking shots from D at end of #mnwild's optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopping Pucks View Post
Lets hope Kuemper's performance makes him play better.
Kuemper plays lights out, so for the next game...a crucial 4 point swing against one of the teams you are directly competing against for a playoff spot...you go back to the overworked, beat up, tired out, damaged possibly beyond repair goalie who has for the vast majority of the season been a sieve? Sounds like Yeo logic to me! #YEOLO

Yeah **** this. Makes me want to...


SIGH

Well with Scandella going maybe they'll bench Ballard instead and give Blum a shot?

....yeah we all know that's not going to happen either.

I feel like Kuemper should be given a shot tonight. He earned it with the way he played, god dammit. You play the hot hand, and Kuemper looked like he was ON FIRE.

Instead we get the log that's mostly turned to ash at this point. Thanks, Yeo.

I can feel a rant coming tonight if we get pasted like I suddenly feel like we will.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:47 PM
  #28
HDZx
Registered User
 
HDZx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 50
I honestly don't understand Yeo's logic.

Plays the hot hand in Harding, sits Backstrom and lets him get covered in rust.

Haridng out, plays Backstrom for awhile then gives Kuemper a shot. Kuemper goes full beast mode and collects a lot of confidence. Backstrom said to have an injury, admits he played with an injury last year and feels that same injury returning. So what does he do? He plays the injured goalie that has been garbage this year instead of the hot hand.

Really. It makes no sense.

HDZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:53 PM
  #29
Harvest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Kuemper plays lights out, so for the next game...a crucial 4 point swing against one of the teams you are directly competing against for a playoff spot...you go back to the overworked, beat up, tired out, damaged possibly beyond repair goalie who has for the vast majority of the season been a sieve? Sounds like Yeo logic to me! #YEOLO

Yeah **** this. Makes me want to...


SIGH

Well with Scandella going maybe they'll bench Ballard instead and give Blum a shot?

....yeah we all know that's not going to happen either.

I feel like Kuemper should be given a shot tonight. He earned it with the way he played, god dammit. You play the hot hand, and Kuemper looked like he was ON FIRE.

Instead we get the log that's mostly turned to ash at this point. Thanks, Yeo.

I can feel a rant coming tonight if we get pasted like I suddenly feel like we will.
I thought Russo sayd that Blum is gonna play tonight?

Harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:54 PM
  #30
HDZx
Registered User
 
HDZx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
I thought Russo sayd that Blum is gonna play tonight?
Yes, over Ballard. Scandella was sore yesterday, but will play.

HDZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:56 PM
  #31
Wild Caniac
@WildCaniac
 
Wild Caniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,797
vCash: 500
I'd assume Kuemper plays Saturday then. I'd rather Kuemper play tonight and Backstrom on Saturday, but oh well.

Wild Caniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:57 PM
  #32
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Caniac View Post
I'd assume Kuemper plays Saturday then. I'd rather Kuemper play tonight and Backstrom on Saturday, but oh well.
Logic dictates he wants the divisional points over the anything. IDK .

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
  #33
Avder
Animated to Explode
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: (_o)/
Country: United States
Posts: 38,868
vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopping Pucks View Post
Yes, over Ballard. Scandella was sore yesterday, but will play.
Oh, well thank goodness. At least there is some semblance of sanity to look forward to tonight.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:03 PM
  #34
Wild Caniac
@WildCaniac
 
Wild Caniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Logic dictates he wants the divisional points over the anything. IDK .
Well, I think the saturday game is more important than this game, because it's a divisional game. 4 point games are always huge. Phoenix did destroy Calgary on tuesday, so maybe they take us lightly and we take 2 free points.

Wild Caniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:18 PM
  #35
kfan22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopping Pucks View Post
I honestly don't understand Yeo's logic.

Plays the hot hand in Harding, sits Backstrom and lets him get covered in rust.

Haridng out, plays Backstrom for awhile then gives Kuemper a shot. Kuemper goes full beast mode and collects a lot of confidence. Backstrom said to have an injury, admits he played with an injury last year and feels that same injury returning. So what does he do? He plays the injured goalie that has been garbage this year instead of the hot hand.

Really. It makes no sense.
Kuemper was garbage this year also until Tuesday. Its hilarious the people are having a fit about this. Everyone was upset that he was playing Tuesday and said we would get beat 10-0 with him in net, now after 1 good game they are crying cause hes not starting forgetting that Backstrom has won 2 in row himself. This is a very important game for the Wild I have no issue with him playing tonight over an inexperienced goalie.

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:20 PM
  #36
kfan22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Caniac View Post
Well, I think the saturday game is more important than this game, because it's a divisional game. 4 point games are always huge. Phoenix did destroy Calgary on tuesday, so maybe they take us lightly and we take 2 free points.
How is a game against a team 7 points ahead of us more important than a game against a team you are tied with for the last Playoff spot especially when both of those teams have 3 games in hand on the Wild. this is a 4 point game also not just Saturday

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:25 PM
  #37
HDZx
Registered User
 
HDZx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
Kuemper was garbage this year also until Tuesday. Its hilarious the people are having a fit about this. Everyone was upset that he was playing Tuesday and said we would get beat 10-0 with him in net, now after 1 good game they are crying cause hes not starting forgetting that Backstrom has won 2 in row himself. This is a very important game for the Wild I have no issue with him playing tonight over an inexperienced goalie.
It's not like Backstrom stole those games. The skaters won those 2 games.

Backstrom is not 100%, go read the Wild discussion thread and look at my post there quoting Russo's blog.

HDZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:30 PM
  #38
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Caniac View Post
Well, I think the saturday game is more important than this game, because it's a divisional game. 4 point games are always huge. Phoenix did destroy Calgary on tuesday, so maybe they take us lightly and we take 2 free points.
Well if we win tonight we are back into the 8th spot and we should have the tie breaker over PHX as a result. That could be the key come April if this team cannot find a consistent winning effort. Winning tonight and Saturday puts us tied with Vancouver for 7th. Both PHX and COL have at least 3 games in hand on us as well. So it will still be cosmetic.

Need 2 points and no points for either COL and PHX in the next 2 games. Depending on how 4-7 do, we still have a good shot going into the break with being ahead of where we all thought we could be.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:32 PM
  #39
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopping Pucks View Post
It's not like Backstrom stole those games. The skaters won those 2 games.

Backstrom is not 100%, go read the Wild discussion thread and look at my post there quoting Russo's blog.
Agreed. Without Suter, Backstrom is the lameduck during that game. Mike Green's goal that went in somehow would have been the GWG.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:35 PM
  #40
kfan22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Well if we win tonight we are back into the 8th spot and we should have the tie breaker over PHX as a result. That could be the key come April if this team cannot find a consistent winning effort. Winning tonight and Saturday puts us tied with Vancouver for 7th. Both PHX and COL have at least 3 games in hand on us as well. So it will still be cosmetic.

Need 2 points and no points for either COL and PHX in the next 2 games. Depending on how 4-7 do, we still have a good shot going into the break with being ahead of where we all thought we could be.
There wouldnt be a tiebreaker with PHX after tonight cause they wont be tied anymore. And if the Wild win tonight the season series would be 1-1. But PHX is still in the drivers seat even if they lose tonight cause they still have 3 games in hand.

I dont think the Wild will catch Colorado, the Key is to stay ahead of Dallas and then try to pass either Phoenix or Vancouver. And to be honest I dont really want to pass Colorado because then we would have to play St.Louis in the first round more than likely and that is the worst matchup possible for the Wild. I would much rather be a Wild card at this point and play Chicago or Anaheim over St.Louis

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:38 PM
  #41
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
There wouldnt be a tiebreaker with PHX after tonight cause they wont be tied anymore. And if the Wild win tonight the season series would be 1-1. But PHX is still in the drivers seat even if they lose tonight cause they still have 3 games in hand.
Well I was talking moreso down in April than now. I don't really care what the standings look like now because there are still 30+ games left in the season. But if the series would be tied 1-1, then it could be a must win if based on points since the tie breaker would go to GF IIRC after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
I dont think the Wild will catch Colorado, the Key is to stay ahead of Dallas and then try to pass either Phoenix or Vancouver. And to be honest I dont really want to pass Colorado because then we would have to play St.Louis in the first round more than likely and that is the worst matchup possible for the Wild. I would much rather be a Wild card at this point and play Chicago or Anaheim over St.Louis
Colorado will still come down to reality. And I would want #7 as of right now. We would face Chicago, and we have shown we can at least beat them.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
  #42
kfan22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopping Pucks View Post
It's not like Backstrom stole those games. The skaters won those 2 games.

Backstrom is not 100%, go read the Wild discussion thread and look at my post there quoting Russo's blog.
And go over to the LA board and see how upset they are because that team doesnt score goals. Not taking anything away from Darcy he played great Tuesday.

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:41 PM
  #43
kfan22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Well I was talking moreso down in April than now. I don't really care what the standings look like now because there are still 30+ games left in the season. But if the series would be tied 1-1, then it could be a must win if based on points since the tie breaker would go to GF IIRC after that.



Colorado will still come down to reality. And I would want #7 as of right now. We would face Chicago, and we have shown we can at least beat them.
People have been saying Colorado will come back to the pack all year. 7 points is a lot to make up plus they have 3 games in hand if they went 1-1-1 thats a double digit point lead over the Wild and thats very hard to overcome in less than half a season

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:52 PM
  #44
MNjens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Need to score first tonight if we want to win. Phoenix is one of the best teams in the league protecting a lead especially at home. Would have liked to see Kuemper, and ride the hot hand but that's not happening.

With Backy in net hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

4-1 Phoenix

MNjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 03:06 PM
  #45
habs0429
Registered User
 
habs0429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
It's going to be interesting to see how Backs responds in net tonight. This MAY be his curtain call. With the season going the way it is, if he drops this one in typical fashion, I'd expect to see a heavy dose of Kuemps the rest of the way, spelling Harding when he gets back as the primary back-up.

habs0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 03:10 PM
  #46
kfan22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Caniac View Post
I'd assume Kuemper plays Saturday then. I'd rather Kuemper play tonight and Backstrom on Saturday, but oh well.
I am sure Backstrom will play tonight and Saturday since he does well against Colorado, unless he has a rough outing tonight

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 03:24 PM
  #47
MNNumbers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Well I was talking moreso down in April than now. I don't really care what the standings look like now because there are still 30+ games left in the season. But if the series would be tied 1-1, then it could be a must win if based on points since the tie breaker would go to GF IIRC after that.

Colorado will still come down to reality. And I would want #7 as of right now. We would face Chicago, and we have shown we can at least beat them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
People have been saying Colorado will come back to the pack all year. 7 points is a lot to make up plus they have 3 games in hand if they went 1-1-1 thats a double digit point lead over the Wild and thats very hard to overcome in less than half a season
For both of you, I have a simpler way of looking at the standings. Simply go by the number (Wins - Losses). This takes away all the hand-wringing about "games in hand."

Central Division:
COL +15
MIN +6 (9 is a huge number to make up. It's hard in baseball. Harder in hockey when if you lose in OT/SO it is neutral and counts 0).
So, Minnesota won't catch COLORADO.
DAL +5

Obviously, DAL and MIN are close. Wild games vs Dallas are very important. All other divisional games are no more important than any other game.

Pacific Division:
VAN +10
PHX +9.
These are the teams we are in competition with. Top 3 from each division autoqualify, and then the next 2 teams in the conference are the wild cards.

If we beat PHX tonight, we would go to +7, and they go to +8. That's our best result.

Also, about tie-breakers. First tb is The combined total of regulation and OT wins. After that, it's head-to-head.
Wild in h-t-h play:
Vs PHX: Since the Wild play PHX 3 times, and it's twice in PHX, for purposes of the end of the year tiebreaker, tonight doesn't count. They will only count the game in MINN and the last game in PHX. PHX won the game here, in regulation.

Vs Van: Have only played one game, at home. Since they have one home and one away game left, there have been no tie-breaking games played yet. The first game won't count toward the tie break.

Vs Dal:Have only played one game, and the Wild won. They play each other 4 games, so they all count.

Vs Col if you must know: They play 5 times, so the first game in COLO does not count for the tb. So far in 2 games, the Wild have 2 pts, Colorado has 3. However, because Colorado has played very few OT/SO games, they have 25 ROW, and the Wild have only 17. Therefore, it is very unlikely that head-to-head play with Colorado becomes a factor.

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 03:45 PM
  #48
Dampland
Registered User
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gainfully Employed
Country: United States
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 50
Coyotes win 3-1 (including EN in final minute)

Vrbata with a goal and assist
Doan with a goal


1-0 after first, then Coyotes will score again at the beginning of the 3rd period before netting the EN at the end.

Lots of penalties in this one.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 03:55 PM
  #49
Dampland
Registered User
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gainfully Employed
Country: United States
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Here comes Mike Smith's first shutout.
Coyote fans seem pretty confident on their GDT.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 04:01 PM
  #50
Avder
Animated to Explode
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: (_o)/
Country: United States
Posts: 38,868
vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Coyote fans seem pretty confident on their GDT.
Seems justified to me. Were not gonna score 4 goals on 11 shots that often. Still, we have been scoring at a decent clip overall lately so there's still hope.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.