HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you keep? Bailey/Grabner

View Poll Results: If there trade value was equal, who would you prefer to trade?
Bailey 65 65.66%
Grabner 34 34.34%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Jester9881

vCash: 500
Who do you keep? Bailey/Grabner

It seems that if the Islanders hold onto Vanek, and they intend on promoting another rookie forward and/or upgrading secondary scoring, moving one of Grabner/Bailey seems like the most logical approach.

Which one do you keep going forward?

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:00 AM
wingnutks

Grabner

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Grabner & its not even close. While Grabner is not a huge offensive threat, he has become a damn fine PKer/defensive forward. His speed is elite & Bailey desperately needs a change of scenery. Ticks me off how we ruined him, but hopefully another organization can get something out of him.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:08 AM
crashthenet

Grabner stays, Bailey can't be moved.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
bigd

Bailey will be tough to move with the contract and the horrible season he's having. I just don't think we can give up on him and give him away. But I would hate to lose Grabner.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Strummergas

Grabner. Easily.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Grabner. Easily.
Of the Two i would rather keep Granber.
Baily might be hard to move. He is Yung enough were a team might take a risk.
Why not move both lol

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:59 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Why not move both lol
I would move both too

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 09:04 AM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

neither. bailey just turned 24 folks. You don't just get rid of top 10 picks b/c of a garbage season. If he can find consistency in his game he will be a legit top 6 forward. grabner has elite speed and is a very effective on pk. Knows his role

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 09:18 AM
crasherino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
neither. bailey just turned 24 folks. You don't just get rid of top 10 picks b/c of a garbage season. If he can find consistency in his game he will be a legit top 6 forward. grabner has elite speed and is a very effective on pk. Knows his role
I wish that to be true, but I've learned (the hard way) that just because you hope something happens, doesn't mean it will.

I'm not writing off Bailey's career, but hoping he will become the player we thought he'd be is not a good strategy. He still has time to turn it around this year, but if he continues to float invisibly around the ice for the bulk of the rest of the season and we can find some team to take his contract off our hands, you have to consider it.

There aren't that many roster spots available at forward on this team - I don't think we can have him clogging up a spot that could go to Anders Lee if/when he shows that he belongs here.

Grabner IMO, is a perfect 3rd line player. He has outstanding speed to make his own opportunities but has also been playing very well defensively and using his body a lot more.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 09:31 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Seriously? You always pick Grabner to keep. There's no reason to keep Bailey.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 09:32 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
A garbage season? He's had five garbage seasons and is working on the sixth.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Why not move both lol
If the deal is right, why not indeed. But as the question was either/or...

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Macch

Just like many people were saying there is no reason to keep KO.

Bailey has the talent, he just needs it to click. Plus he's only 24 years old. Besides who are we replacing Bailey with? Anders Lee? Give me a break.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 10:06 AM
BTrotts19

For a needed piece of the puzzle, whomever our trade partner wants of the two.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 10:15 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post

Bailey has the talent, he just needs it to click. Plus he's only 24 years old. Besides who are we replacing Bailey with? Anders Lee? Give me a break.
Anders Lee is 8 months younger than Bailey. Are we so sure he'd be an upgrade?

Quote:
Why not move both lol
What do you think the return would be for either Grabner or Bailey? They are playing extremely poorly. Both have increasing salaries over the next 3-4 years and high cap hits.

We dumped Comeau for nothing, not long after a 24 goal season.
We kept Okposo after some terrible seasons.

Let's not pretend there's a market for underachieving, high-priced (and term) players.

They have to play better. It's on them. And it's in the coaches to get more from them, because they have talent.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 10:31 AM
kpap57

I would keep grabner, hands down. He is what he is. A 3rd line winger, who's responsible in his own zone and a good penalty killer, with rediculous speed.
Problem is almost no one is in the right role for this team. We have no secondary scoring, because we are relying on third liners for it.
Hoping we hold onto vanek my ideal lines are:
Vanek-Taveras-KO
Xxx-xxx-xxx
Grabner-Nielson-clutterbuck
Martin-CC-macdonld/boulton
Would be one of the best bottom 6 in the league, and that 3rd line would be a legit shut down line, when not being relayed upon for so much scoring.
Bailey, while he is still young is wildly inconsistent, and this team really needs to get away from that.
Hopefully strome and Nelson can become that second line we need, and maybe wake up bailey. I don't know how I feel about having 3 natural centers on the 2nd line though.
Anyways that's what I think we are missing on the offense side atleast, to be a very good team.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 10:48 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Bailey vs grabs is not even close....the real question is bailey vs any of the other forwards like bailey vs regin at this point....i think bailey is more of a buyout candidate every time i watch him play. I wish it were different but its not, he hasnt had more then a few flashes of being a contributor but had been fairly consistent at being invisible...contract is pretty much untradable for what he brings to the table. Of course some still think he has something and im sure garf will give him every opportunity but for me, i dont see it...i rather buy him out and fill that roster spot with someone that can help this team

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Degeneration Rex

Maybe the expectations were always too high for Bailey, at least I never thought he had high end skill, and his hockey sense is not off the charts like some said when drafted. Expected Bailey to be more of a steady two way player who was going to be very reliable game in, game out, do a lot of things good but not great.Never though he would have such highs and lows. Would prefer to keep Grabner, we expected more goals but his penalty killing and threat with his speed is always a constant.

To trade Bailey guess the Islanders would have to take back a similar contract with a player who may need a change of scene. There are teams that need centers and possibly another team has some interest to move him back in his more natural position it's tough to say. I don't believe Bailey will ever be a high end player, might just be a third line player.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-09-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 10:58 AM
crasherino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post

I don't disagree, but how long do you wait for it though? If, come the off season he hasn't "clicked", do you just slot him into a top-6 role for next October?

I was a proponent of giving him a long deal and just poo-pooh'd his past struggles as growing pains, mismanagement and basically a thing of the past. I solely focused on his mini resurgence last year and just assumed/hoped that that's the Bailey we would be getting - a 20-25 goal scorer and a dynamic playmaker.

Through this point though, he's been invisible for the most part. I'm willing to give him more time as this season is probably not going to end well, but at some point, you've got to make tough decisions. We're not at that point yet, but its gonna happen in the future if he doesn't step it up.

Next time Cappy needs a healthy scratch to dress Boulton, I hope he considers Bailey. Maybe he needs a kick in the ass.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Jester9881

This thread isn't meant as a slight on either player, believe me. I think both are very useful players at the NHL level. If the Islanders are going to take the next step, offensively, they are going to have to somehow put together a legitimate second line. Currently, we have one scoring line, two 3rd lines and a 4th.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Strome18

Keep both

a. because we do not have a better player in BPort
b. because if we trade one, we will not get better value back.

Grabner has something you cannot find on other teams (speed that teams must game plan for)
Bailey is responsible on the defensive end with some good passing ability.

Just have to hope they keep working hahd to improve in the other areas and in turn create our 2nd line.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:06 PM
seafoam
Do The Panic

vCash: 50
If I had to choose between the two, it would be Grabner.

With that said, no one is going to take Bailey's contract unless we are getting an equally bad one back.

Also, I'm just as frustrated as the next guy with Bails, but didn't Kyle Okposo just go through the same struggles the past two seasons that Bailey is currently experiencing?

I can definitely see Bailey thriving on the second line with Strome in the future.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
fnfelon

Interesting question, but doesn't it also matter who can you get the most for? Right now I assume that Bailey's value is probably next to zero. So if the premise of the question is, we have to move one so therefore who should we move, then, again who is more valuable to the other side. At this point I don't want to move Grabner and nobody wants Bailey in his present form so this for me would be moot. Now Grabner's name was bandied about with Neilson's to the Habs for Pacioretty then I would have to seriously think about it. I may be wrong but when we played the California teams earlier this year it was, for me, an epiphany; all those teams have big bruising forwards and big fast defenders. So IMHO I keep JT, Okposo, Vanek, Strome, Nelson, Martin, CC, and clutterbuck. although clutterbuck is smaller I still would keep him. Also Lee, Ullstrome, Sunstrome, and Peerson are all over 6'2" and have nasty in their game. That's where we should go IMHO. Most of the kids on D are big and nasty also except Pokka, and Pullock.

fnfelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:40 PM
TommytheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
Interesting question, but doesn't it also matter who can you get the most for? Right now I assume that Bailey's value is probably next to zero. So if the premise of the question is, we have to move one so therefore who should we move, then, again who is more valuable to the other side. At this point I don't want to move Grabner and nobody wants Bailey in his present form so this for me would be moot. Now Grabner's name was bandied about with Neilson's to the Habs for Pacioretty then I would have to seriously think about it. I may be wrong but when we played the California teams earlier this year it was, for me, an epiphany; all those teams have big bruising forwards and big fast defenders. So IMHO I keep JT, Okposo, Vanek, Strome, Nelson, Martin, CC, and clutterbuck. although clutterbuck is smaller I still would keep him. Also Lee, Ullstrome, Sunstrome, and Peerson are all over 6'2" and have nasty in their game. That's where we should go IMHO. Most of the kids on D are big and nasty also except Pokka, and Pullock.
Man I wish we could kept Ullstrom, I liked his game and I think he could develop into a solid player...is he still islander property?it also seems like every other team has big chip on their shoulder dmen and we don't ...wth....I say we keep grabs, hopefully he regains his scoring touch and be a consistent 20 goal a year guy....sucks that bails has fallen like this

TommytheCat is offline   Reply With Quote