HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Presser (Tim Murray announced as GM, Craig Patrick as Special Assistant to HD)

Old
01-10-2014, 09:15 PM
26CornerBlitz

vCash: 500
@BuffaloSabres
NEW ERA IN BUFFALO: These digital billboards are now up around the city.

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 11:30 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

I'm sure it's been mentioned by my Sens breheren here before (I'm on vacation and don't care to read 40+ back-pages), but you guys had better get used to never drafting Russians ever again, ever. Tim loathes the "Russian Factor", and hates negotiating with agents who use the KHL as leverage.

CHL, NCAA, and Sweden. Tim might take a Czech or Finn if they slide in the draft, but for the most part, you drafts are going to be Major Junior, College, and Swede-only.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:08 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned by my Sens breheren here before (I'm on vacation and don't care to read 40+ back-pages), but you guys had better get used to never drafting Russians ever again, ever. Tim loathes the "Russian Factor", and hates negotiating with agents who use the KHL as leverage.

CHL, NCAA, and Sweden. Tim might take a Czech or Finn if they slide in the draft, but for the most part, you drafts are going to be Major Junior, College, and Swede-only.
I guess my main question would be how much of that was Murray and how much was Melnyk? With Buffalo under Regier, for example, there was an aversion to taking Russians (or really any Europeans) that seemed to emerge under Golisano. Many around here attributed that to the team being more risk averse in the draft due to not necessarily having the financial resources to make up for mistakes. So I suppose I'd wonder if there was a similar motivation under Melnyk, considering his reputation. This might be one of those things where we have to just wait and see, though, I suppose

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:13 AM
sjci

vCash: 172
Quote:

Looks like he stayed away from Russians with Anaheim, but took 2 with the Rangers, Anisimov (2nd in 2006) and Cherepanov (1st in 2007).

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:09 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
With Buffalo under Regier, for example, there was an aversion to taking Russians (or really any Europeans) that seemed to emerge under Golisano. Many around here attributed that to the team being more risk averse in the draft due to not necessarily having the financial resources to make up for mistakes. So I suppose I'd wonder if there was a similar motivation under Melnyk, considering his reputation. This might be one of those things where we have to just wait and see, though, I suppose
Yeah, I think we need to wait and see. Maybe the Sabres have an excellent Finnish scout, for example, that Murray will come to trust.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Question for you.

Doug MacLean mentioned on radio that Tim loves to stick his nose into coaching. Did you see this as disruptive or negative in any way with the Senators?

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 07:50 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
I could have sworn this was the Tim Murray & Craig Patrick thread....

Oh, there we go. Stay on topic please.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Doug Prishpreed

Not only are these great hires, but it really reinforces my faith in Patty. Especially the way Murray's gushing about how first class the organization is. Everyone is saying all the right things.

I found it funny that the media and bloggers were all hoping for Benning, and most of us on the board were hoping is wasn't him. Is it wrong that I love when things don't go their way?

Doug Prishpreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:28 AM
aceface33

Just curious, what are the arguments against Benning other than the thinking that he was hired mainly for his Buffalo ties?

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Just curious, what are the arguments against Benning other than the thinking that he was hired mainly for his Buffalo ties?
ugh worthy drafting.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Caje

You guys are so ****ing lucky. God damnit.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:57 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

Hmmmmm.....

The Grigs situation probably really ensures this mindset if accurate.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:11 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Hmmmmm.....

The Grigs situation probably really ensures this mindset if accurate.
Looking through his drafting history in Ottawa,

It looks like he selects only North Americans, and Sweds. He selected 1 Czech although they were playing in the Q.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote