HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

David Rundblad

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
  #51
Guest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Rundblad has played 11 games this year, and has not seized the opportunity. Murphy came in and played great for about 15 games, stumbled and was sent back down. When the opportunity presents itself Rundblad has to do what Murphy did, he has to show the coaches he belongs.
I'm not saying that Rundblad has shown that he belongs, but comparing his game to Murphy not exactly comparing apples to apples. Rundblad is a guy that comes in if Yandle or Schlmeko go down in my opinion because he's all out offense. Murphy has been a good guy to fill in for Z and DeMo when they were injured.

In either case, it's poor asset management by the team. How do you let a developing player like that, that you received for a key player (Turris), in this situation? I'm telling you, in the end this is not going to work out well and that is my point.

Guest is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 03:29 PM
  #52
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I'm not saying that Rundblad has shown that he belongs, but comparing his game to Murphy not exactly comparing apples to apples. Rundblad is a guy that comes in if Yandle or Schlmeko go down in my opinion because he's all out offense. Murphy has been a good guy to fill in for Z and DeMo when they were injured.
Eh I don't know about that, Schlemko is closer to Z in style of play than he is Yandle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
In either case, it's poor asset management by the team. How do you let a developing player like that, that you received for a key player (Turris), in this situation? I'm telling you, in the end this is not going to work out well and that is my point.
What would you do though, just play Rundblad and let the chips fall where they may? I do think Tippet should give the kid a little more rope but it's not a cut and dry situation. Ideally when he does get chances Rundblad would make more of an impression but thus far he just hasn't done that.

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
  #53
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
What would you do though, just play Rundblad and let the chips fall where they may? I do think Tippet should give the kid a little more rope but it's not a cut and dry situation. Ideally when he does get chances Rundblad would make more of an impression but thus far he just hasn't done that.
Look at the chance Murphy got. He got 20+ games, most of which he was playing key minutes. He did great for the most part. But Rundblad has never had a string of 10 games where he has been given consistent minutes. It doesn't matter who the player is. If you aren't going to put them in a situation where they can be evaluated, you'll never quite measure their worth.

It's disappointing to see this 'sink or swim' evaluation not take place due to two expendable guys that are marginally better on paper. Even Doan hinted that this maybe wasn't a fair situation for a player that has ability and a good attitude.

XX is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 04:21 PM
  #54
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
I don't see why Rundblad hasn't been given more chances. It's not like our other D have been playing good. See Yandle cough it up all the time but nothing comes of it.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 04:40 PM
  #55
zerekstar
Registered User
 
zerekstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thunderbay, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I don't see why Rundblad hasn't been given more chances. It's not like our other D have been playing good. See Yandle cough it up all the time but nothing comes of it.
Even Murphy coughed it up right in the slot at point blank range for two games in a row in the last minute of the game each time and yet he was allowed to go on. One was saved by Smith and the other by Greiss and it's almost like no one noticed but if Runblad makes the slightest mistake, it seems to be magnified. I don't really get that.

zerekstar is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
  #56
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
Even Murphy coughed it up right in the slot at point blank range for two games in a row in the last minute of the game each time and yet he was allowed to go on. One was saved by Smith and the other by Greiss and it's almost like no one noticed but if Runblad makes the slightest mistake, it seems to be magnified. I don't really get that.
Then again, Murphy was the one standing right behind Greiss, nearly inside the goal line, on Anaheims third or fourth goal the other night. Now he's in the minors. Haha.

rt is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 05:35 PM
  #57
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Look at the chance Murphy got. He got 20+ games, most of which he was playing key minutes. He did great for the most part. But Rundblad has never had a string of 10 games where he has been given consistent minutes. It doesn't matter who the player is. If you aren't going to put them in a situation where they can be evaluated, you'll never quite measure their worth.

It's disappointing to see this 'sink or swim' evaluation not take place due to two expendable guys that are marginally better on paper. Even Doan hinted that this maybe wasn't a fair situation for a player that has ability and a good attitude.
Murphy played 21 games because he proved to the coaching staff he can play at this level. Rundblad has to show the coaching staff that he can play at this level, and that means the first game. He has to seize the opportunity and he hasn't.

Jakey53 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 05:36 PM
  #58
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
Even Murphy coughed it up right in the slot at point blank range for two games in a row in the last minute of the game each time and yet he was allowed to go on. One was saved by Smith and the other by Greiss and it's almost like no one noticed but if Runblad makes the slightest mistake, it seems to be magnified. I don't really get that.
It was noticed. Where is Murphy now?

Jakey53 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
  #59
Longwayfromhome
Sweden/London, UK.
 
Longwayfromhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: England
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
It was noticed. Where is Murphy now?
But then again, Muprhy was awful for the last three games he played. Not only his last game. Mistakes are being judged differently. When was Runblad bad for 3 straight games? Never, he only gets one chance and no chance to redeem himself. And the fact is that Rundblad has played good on his last occasions. Give Runblad the minutes Murphy and he will perform, that I believe.


Last edited by Longwayfromhome: 01-13-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Longwayfromhome is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 05:56 PM
  #60
Kaibur
Registered User
 
Kaibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Just over 2 years after the trade, Rundblad has played 25 games for the Yotes and 24 games for the Sens.

I just don't think there's anything he can do on the ice that's going to change Tippett's mind about trusting him over Z, Morris, Stone, or Murphy this season. Unless there's a trade, he'll pick up a few spot games and a regular paycheck and hope for an opportunity next season.

Kaibur is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 05:59 PM
  #61
yotesreign
Registered User
 
yotesreign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Goldwater Blvd
Country: United States
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
Even Murphy coughed it up right in the slot at point blank range for two games in a row in the last minute of the game each time and yet he was allowed to go on. One was saved by Smith and the other by Greiss and it's almost like no one noticed but if Runblad makes the slightest mistake, it seems to be magnified. I don't really get that.
I wasn't surprised he got shipped down after his last game, but I'd be surprised if he's not back up this year. Team certainly needs some adjustments soon as we're running out of time whether we know it or not to secure a playoff spot. I'd like to see us put the puck on net a bit more often instead of just dumping it in but heck that's only more noticeable when we get 0-3 goals and give up 4 or more...

Heck, I'd like to see Rundblad on ice a bit more often just to get a better idea of what he's capable of right now.

yotesreign is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 06:01 PM
  #62
cobra427
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwayfromhome View Post
But then again, Muprhy was awful for the last three games he played. Not only his last game. Mistakes are being judged differently. When was Runblad bad for 3 straight games? Never, he only gets one chance and no chance to redeem himself. And the fact is that Rundblad has played good on his last occasions. Give Runblad the minutes Murphy and he will perform, that I believe.
Oel was up for a while and back down his first year, that is normal. Tip does not base playing time on contracts. If you play well, you are in, if you don't it's AHL or healthy scrtch(runblad), merit system, it works...

cobra427 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
  #63
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Oel was up for a while and back down his first year, that is normal. Tip does not base playing time on contracts. If you play well, you are in, if you don't it's AHL or healthy scrtch(runblad), merit system, it works...
That's certainly subjective. Some play with a longer leash than others.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 03:52 AM
  #64
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,410
vCash: 500
I'm all for giving Rundblad a solid 10 game look but I have a feeling those of you who seem to think he's ready to break out are going to be severely disappointed. I really really want the kid to succeed but he just does not look ready at all to me. I still wish Tip would give him a chance but if he does I don't expect much to come of it.

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
  #65
zz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
^ Yeah, that's kinda where I am. I haven't seen anything interesting from Rundblad in his sheltered minutes. Not he's awful or anything, just your typical tentative prospect, not ready for the show. If at least he showed a bit of creativity in the offensive zone it might be worth the risk of playing him more, but honestly, I haven't seen it.

zz is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:37 AM
  #66
cobra427
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
Doesn't seem to jive with reality. There would have to be at least a half dozen of players that should be sitting right now, given the their performance in the last 5-10 games.

Honestly, this "merit system" often bantered about here, is more of a cover for coach having certain type of favored playing styles. It's fine that coaches have certain types of players that are favored in the system; most coaches do. But there is no need to use some other clearly factually untrue rationale to justify that.
Hear is some true rationale: 1 assist in 11 games. If he had more points, you might have a better argument. His D is not there yet and if Tip let him play through it, our GAA goes up...

cobra427 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
  #67
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I'm all for giving Rundblad a solid 10 game look but I have a feeling those of you who seem to think he's ready to break out are going to be severely disappointed. I really really want the kid to succeed but he just does not look ready at all to me. I still wish Tip would give him a chance but if he does I don't expect much to come of it.
I agree with you on Rundblad, but he may get his chance now with the way the team is playing.

Jakey53 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:53 AM
  #68
cobra427
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
I agree with you on Rundblad, but he may get his chance now with the way the team is playing.
I think he has less of a chance now. if we were loosing 1-0 or 2-1 and needed a spark, i could see him playing. we need better D and Runblad is not the answer for that. I like Runblad as a player, just not the right time/place yet but I hope I am wrong. I hope he gets a chance and plays well like Murphy did...

cobra427 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 03:03 PM
  #69
letowskie
Registered User
 
letowskie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In your worst nighmare
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Hear is some true rationale: 1 assist in 11 games. If he had more points, you might have a better argument. His D is not there yet and if Tip let him play through it, our GAA goes up...
There are plenty of players on this team that don't produce offensively; pretty much the biggest single issue on the team (too high of a ratio of non-productive players that prevent sustained puck possession and consistent offence). I'm not sure what your point is; that you expect Rundblad to become Yandle-lite within the first 8th of the season with limited ES time and a few scattered PPs? I don't think that's realistic even given the ideal circumstances.

Your original argument doesn't seem to have any evidence that pass the muster in of it self. So what is the evidence of this actual "merit". How would you explain that Moss is playing major minutes, and is the #1 winger in terms of ice time alongside of Rib? Or how could it be explained that guys like Schlemko that show little results year after year still get major playing time. Like I said, Tip likes and appreciate their style, it has nothing to do with merit. And he sure doesn't need fans on this board making up excuses for him.

letowskie is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 04:07 PM
  #70
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,481
vCash: 500
For the forward development stuff:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1582171


Last edited by SniperHF: 01-14-2014 at 04:15 PM.
SniperHF is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 06:43 PM
  #71
JetsFan815
Registered User
 
JetsFan815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
I'd offer Devin Setogucci for Rundblad at this point.

JetsFan815 is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 06:44 PM
  #72
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
I'd offer Devin Setogucci for Rundblad at this point.
I'd happily decline at this point.

rt is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 10:31 AM
  #73
azcanuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: chandler az
Country: Canada
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
.

Your original argument doesn't seem to have any evidence that pass the muster in of it self. So what is the evidence of this actual "merit". How would you explain that Moss is playing major minutes, and is the #1 winger in terms of ice time alongside of Rib? Or how could it be explained that guys like Schlemko that show little results year after year still get major playing time. Like I said, Tip likes and appreciate their style, it has nothing to do with merit. And he sure doesn't need fans on this board making up excuses for him.
You talk about "evidence" and "metrics" like hockey is engineering.

My OPINION is that Rundblad is largely an offensive defenseman. We have that in spades on the team. You cant compare him to guys like Moss. Moss offers some grinding on the forward lines and chips in a few goals.

azcanuck is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
  #74
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcanuck View Post
You talk about "evidence" and "metrics" like hockey is engineering.

My OPINION is that Rundblad is largely an offensive defenseman. We have that in spades on the team. You cant compare him to guys like Moss. Moss offers some grinding on the forward lines and chips in a few goals.
I'll trust metrics and evidence and actual analysis over an unsubstantiated opinion from a pseudonymous stranger every day of the week.

That said, Tippett uses a lot of advanced metrics in his analysis of players. It's all proprietary stuff, but according to those data, Schlemko is probably doing just fine.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 11:51 AM
  #75
azcanuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: chandler az
Country: Canada
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'll trust metrics and evidence and actual analysis over an unsubstantiated opinion from a pseudonymous stranger every day of the week.

That said, Tippett uses a lot of advanced metrics in his analysis of players. It's all proprietary stuff, but according to those data, Schlemko is probably doing just fine.
So if he does indeed rely on it that much it's pretty well an non arguement. Rundsblad doesnt meet the eye test (opinion) and the engineering done by coach's.

It's just funny on an opinion board such as this that fans look purely at "evidence" (stats) as a barometer of the player. A lot more goes into an evaluation of a hockey player.

azcanuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.