HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2014, 12:45 PM
ctwin22
Go Desert Dogs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
IIRC ownership stated the budget would increase by either 5 or 10 percent each season. I think it was 10.

Also, wouldn't be shocked if Lessio or Szwarz/Brown was your Moss replacement. Plus, most of us probably expect Domi to be a top six player.

Doan-Ribeiro-Boedker
Domi-Hanzal-Vrbata
Lessio-Vermette-Korpi
Klinkhammer-?-Szwarz
I know that Samuelsson isn't fast, but I'd like to have a big heavy line on the 4th that has potential to put pucks in the net. We know Klink has some goal scoring ability and plays good defense, Samuelsson has shown in juniors he can score goals and he's mean, we just need another goal scoring heavy to round that out.

I'd prefer Klink/Samuelsson/? to Klink/Halpern/Swarz

Old
01-23-2014, 12:47 PM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Szwarz doesn't count? He was the only Coyote last night other than the hobbled Doan at least trying to play with energy and throw some weight around. He's also a decent fighter for his size. Already team captain in Portland despite his young age and relative inexperience. He's my ideal 4RW right now.

01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Sinurgy
Rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I love Doan. In a vacuum, I'd pay him $ 6.5M/yr for past services and leadership. The problem is it set a bad precedent. His salary and production became a measuring stick for signing other key players.
I don't think that's the case, everyone knows why Doan got paid the way he did. If a player attempts to use that as leverage I'm sure DM quickly reminds them of that fact. How many players start and finish their career with the same team these days much less do it under the circumstances in which Doan was under. I don't think it'd be hard for DM to not only demonstrate that but any player who wanted to challenge it further would and should be told to kick rocks.

Old
01-23-2014, 01:12 PM
hbk

Doan's contract is fine. It was front end loaded with the largest hit coming during a holdout year. It was a sweetheart deal for the franchise. Salary drops to $5 mill next year and $4.5 the year after. I don't have a problem with those numbers.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Vancouver signs Vinny Prospal to an AHL tryout. I remember a few of us were hoping he'd be a bargain signing by GMDM this past summer.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:48 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Vancouver signs Vinny Prospal to an AHL tryout. I remember a few of us were hoping he'd be a bargain signing by GMDM this past summer.
Yeah, we'll see if his conditioning is up to par.

But if he is ready to contribute, then that's another boat that was missed. There aren't that many such bargains available at this point, with the same potential contribution.

Old
01-24-2014, 08:51 AM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

So Bob Mckenzie, who is actually connected and actually matters, says that Edmonton hopes to move Sam Gagner before the trade deadline. He makes sense to me as a LW on the Czech line. He's a RHS, cerebral playmaker like Whitney was. Might fit. He's also young enough but also proven enough to justify spending assets and money on. If Edmonton is willing to eat some cash, I'd be very interested.

Mckenzie also said they want to move Smyth and Hemsky. I'm less interested in them (well maybe a little in Hemsky) but it signifies they're looking to move vets. I wonder what that means for the availability of Boyd Gordon. Our PK is killing us. Gordon could be a big help.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
ctwin22
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
So Bob Mckenzie, who is actually connected and actually matters, says that Edmonton hopes to move Sam Gagner before the trade deadline. He makes sense to me as a LW on the Czech line. He's a RHS, cerebral playmaker like Whitney was. Might fit. He's also young enough but also proven enough to justify spending assets and money on. If Edmonton is willing to eat some cash, I'd be very interested.

Mckenzie also said they want to move Smyth and Hemsky. I'm less interested in them (well maybe a little in Hemsky) but it signifies they're looking to move vets. I wonder what that means for the availability of Boyd Gordon. Our PK is killing us. Gordon could be a big help.
They like Gordon, no way they give him up, that is why they're moving Gagner, even though Gordon is paid $1m more than he should.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:42 AM
cobra427

Quote:

I agree with this, Gagne and Gordon would help us a lot.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Foggy1097

Quote:

Yeah I wouldn't mind Gagner either...the only problems are that he is a center not a wing, and I'm not sure if he's ever played LW consistently, and it would be a trade within our division which is unlikely to happen. I think trades within the division will be few and far between, especially when big name guys are involved.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:57 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
If Edmonton is willing to eat some a lot of cash, I'd be very interested.
I wouldn't want to pay a guy almost 5 million a year and hope he figures out how to play in his own zone (especially with this coach). Add to that he's been pretty lackluster at offense as well this season. Korpi has 7g-10a in 34 games while playing defensively sound hockey. Gagner has 6g-15a in 39 while playing with a mix of Hall, Eberle, Perron, Hemsky, and Yakupov on a team where the forwards barely know what their goalie looks like...
I like the kid, but you're going to have to build the fundamentals in him from the ground up and hope the offense comes back around. Not sure it's worth the risk. People around here bag on Korpikoski for his contract and production. Even at max retention he'd be making 100k less than Korpikoski, and we'd have to hope Tipp plays him or we're back to square one. It's a gamble. Do we pay him $2.4-4.8M for the next two years and hope he comes back to form? I guess it depends on what the asking price would be at max or near-max retention.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:58 AM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
They like Gordon, no way they give him up, that is why they're moving Gagner, even though Gordon is paid $1m more than he should.
We shall see. They expected to compete this year. They didn't. More young pieces might tempt them. Mike Stone, for example, ought to be rather enticing for them.

That said, they've already retained salary on Dubnyk. Teams can only retain salary on a maximum of two contracts at a time, if I recall correctly. It'd be tough for us to fit in both Gagner and Gordon with salary retention on just one. Even if it were max retention on Gagner, that'd be 2.5m each of the next two years and 3.0m on Gordon. 5.5m per is a lot for the pair. And that's if we can convince them to retain that much, which seems unlikely. That'd be a lot of cash between Gagner and Dubnyk. Two players who six months ago they considered part of the young core.

Maybe Gordon with 33% retained (1m/yr, 2m total) and Hemsky? We can audition Hemsky at LW on the Czech line. If he works, re-sign. If not, explore other options (like Domi).

Of course that puts us way over budget THIS season. Perhaps send both Moss and Klesla their way, as well? That should get it close enough, anyway.

Hemsky and Gordon(33% off) for Stone, Moss, Klesla, and pick?

Old
01-24-2014, 10:24 AM
_Del_

They need to add players like Gordon not give them up. And like you said, they've got plenty of cap room (and expiring contracts like Hemsky, Smyth). Why would they ship out Gordon? Retaining salary for the pleasure of shipping him out seems even more unlikely. Beyond that, I'm not sure I'd be willing to ship out Stone just to get Gordon back. From their side, I'm sure the only reason they'd be interested in Moss would be to play Gordon.

Gagner or Hemsky, maybe they admit they made a mistake and eat some salary, but I don't see that from EDM's management group. I think they've convinced themselves that they're only a few easy steps from the promised land. That's why they haven't moved Hemsky despite the rumours that he's been available the last four years. It's why they didn't move Gagner, even though it's obvious to everyone that they need a responsible two-way center for their top-6. They think they're close, and they value their own players too highly. I'd take a swing on Hemsky, but I think someone will outbid us.

Old
01-24-2014, 10:56 AM
lanky

I like the idea of Gagner in Whitney's spot. But I also think Domi is perfect for that starting next season. Can we fit two small, defensively ineffective forwards into the lineup? I'd guess that bringing in Gagner would force Domi back to juniors next year.

Old
01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Mosby
Howl On

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442069

Quote:
Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic reports that the Phoinex Coyotes are on the lookout for help. The return of Zbynek Michalek has pretty much crossed a defenceman off general manager Don Maloney's wish list and directed all of his attention to finding offense.

"I don't want to trade a forward for another forward," he said. "You're always looking to upgrade, but we're looking to add instead of give a forward to get a forward."

Old
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Foggy1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
I wouldn't want to pay a guy almost 5 million a year and hope he figures out how to play in his own zone (especially with this coach). Add to that he's been pretty lackluster at offense as well this season. Korpi has 7g-10a in 34 games while playing defensively sound hockey. Gagner has 6g-15a in 39 while playing with a mix of Hall, Eberle, Perron, Hemsky, and Yakupov on a team where the forwards barely know what their goalie looks like...
I like the kid, but you're going to have to build the fundamentals in him from the ground up and hope the offense comes back around. Not sure it's worth the risk. People around here bag on Korpikoski for his contract and production. Even at max retention he'd be making 100k less than Korpikoski, and we'd have to hope Tipp plays him or we're back to square one. It's a gamble. Do we pay him $2.4-4.8M for the next two years and hope he comes back to form? I guess it depends on what the asking price would be at max or near-max retention.
Hahahaha well put man, well put...Korpi is money and his contract is totally fine as far as I'm concerned. If he wouldn't have missed all that time earlier in the season I think he would be on pace for career offensive numbers this season.

Old
01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Foggy1097

Since we're on the topic of trading for a C and having him play LW....the guy we would want in that case a HELL of a lot more than Gagner is O'Reilly in COL. We could put him on the wing like he's been doing in COL lately or we could put him in the middle which I would prefer to see, and move Ribeiro to LW to play on the Czech line. Hanzal, O'Reilly, Vermette down the middle is very strong and that's what you have to have to win in this league now...if we could add a little bit more meanness to our back end on top of that then we're starting to become a serious threat. I would be interested to see what COL thought of a Rundblad + Moss + 1st rounder offer for him. With Gormley coming up and O'Reilly only being 22 years old I think it would even be worth it to move Yandle for him if that's who they had to have to get a deal done. Going back to last season, on the day that JVR got traded to TOR for Schenn, Maloney offered to trade Yandle for JVR...basically the exact same deal that TOR got. If Maloney was willing to make that offer then he should be more than willing to make the same offer for O'Reilly. He is arguably even more valuable than JVR, especially being younger.

Old
01-24-2014, 11:28 AM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

You'd have to give up a hell of a lot more than that.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:07 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

If you guys are interested in getting Gordon back, I doubt EDM is willing trade him. Not to mention there's almost no chance they're going to retain any salary on him, especially since they're probably going to end up retaining salary if they trade Gagner.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy1097 View Post
Since we're on the topic of trading for a C and having him play LW....the guy we would want in that case a HELL of a lot more than Gagner is O'Reilly in COL. We could put him on the wing like he's been doing in COL lately or we could put him in the middle which I would prefer to see, and move Ribeiro to LW to play on the Czech line. Hanzal, O'Reilly, Vermette down the middle is very strong and that's what you have to have to win in this league now...if we could add a little bit more meanness to our back end on top of that then we're starting to become a serious threat. I would be interested to see what COL thought of a Rundblad + Moss + 1st rounder offer for him. With Gormley coming up and O'Reilly only being 22 years old I think it would even be worth it to move Yandle for him if that's who they had to have to get a deal done. Going back to last season, on the day that JVR got traded to TOR for Schenn, Maloney offered to trade Yandle for JVR...basically the exact same deal that TOR got. If Maloney was willing to make that offer then he should be more than willing to make the same offer for O'Reilly. He is arguably even more valuable than JVR, especially being younger.
I don't think that's going to interest Col a bit. They are playing the best hockey that they have in a number of years, and RoR has been a critical part of that, I don't think Rundblad + Moss + futures is even going to make them pause, as Moss won't even be a top-9 forward on that team, and Rundblad at best this season would be a third pairing complementary PMD. They are also loaded on the right side of D, with Johnson, Barrie, Elliot, etc; and are primarily looking for LHD.

This is also the worst possible time to move Rundblad. Right now he is at best a sweetener in a large deal for a genuine top-6 forward. His value is low because he is getting up there to the age where most prospects should start making an impact in the league, but he hasn't so far. That's largely due to the depth of our D, and the coaching philosophy on our team this year, along with the surprise play of Murphy, mostly not his own doing. To move him now would be selling as low as you could conceivably sell him. Give him a good full season of opportunity to play at least on 3rd pairing. At worst his value would be not much worse than right now (still an add-in piece in a large deal), and at best he could be a genuine top-4 D and a primary piece to get that elusive forward (someone like Ladd/Perron).

In terms of Col and RoR, they would obviously be asking for Yandle at least, that's someone they have wanted for some time, which probably would not make our team significantly better even if we don't add to KY. The only other player that they could possibly be interested in is Gormley, but he is also not ready for top-pairing duty yet (which is what they are targeting); and losing RoR would far outweigh gaining Gormley this season; although Gormley may have the impact of an RoR in the long run.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Kaibur

We're 3-7-0 in our last 10 and 4-8-3 in our last 15, and we've fallen out of the last spot, which would mean likely facing Anaheim or Chicago.

There's 8 games until the Olympic break and 3 games after the break before the trade deadline. Starting today, we play 5 games in 9 days, including games against very beatable opponents in Buffalo and Edmonton, and teams slightly ahead of us in Vancouver and L.A.

This team needs to decide which way they're going and this week will probably tell the tale. They need to collect points to keep pace, but it should be kept in mind that sneaking into 7th or 8th place in the West is still going to put them against a very tough first round opponent.

Any deals that are made at this deadline need to bolster the staff for a playoff run with the understanding that there's a good chance we'll just miss or get bounced in the first round.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:53 PM
DesertDawg

Ryan O'Reilly? Would the Coyotes give up an asset and still qualify him $6.5 mil for next season? I think they'll move Stastny before RO'R and he should be cheaper in acquiring. Don't see why the Avs would help the Coyotes to catch themselves in the standings.

Old
01-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Fallenone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Doan's contract is fine. It was front end loaded with the largest hit coming during a holdout year. It was a sweetheart deal for the franchise. Salary drops to $5 mill next year and $4.5 the year after. I don't have a problem with those numbers.
A Sweetheart Deal? He's the Fourth Highest paid Right Winger in the NHL. (Look It Up) Yea Let Me Call You Sweetheart.

Old
01-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Scratch that. Prospal has decided he'd rather retire.

Old
01-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Gordon isn't available. One might argue Gordon is more untouchable than Eberle or Yakupov. Not saying he has more value, it's just the way he plays and his faceoff success is highly valued here.

Closed Thread