HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI/Nash Trade Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
So did you live in Nashville when the Predators were there?

Does "most of the people you talk to" encompass Nashville's hockey base? No. You've just talked to the people you know.

Given the amount of time I currently spend in Nashville, that is a moot point. I'm there five to six times a year, and I'm in touch with people there almost every day. The interest among everybody I talk to is low.

Yeah, fan interest will increase if Nashville develops into a contender. But, that may be sometime in coming. Anyway, teams don't tend to have staying power when their fan base is composed of fans who are primarily interested when the situation is good.

10-01-2003, 10:13 AM
NYIsles1*

Interesting, but I would not do that deal if I were Milbury.

As for the rest from what I have seen over three years there are about a dozen or more Islander fan sites, boards, mailing lists....ect and that is the case with every team.

What I do know from my time here (writing three years/moderating almost one) is we have good Isles fans and just as important good hockey fans here on our board. Worth my time and I'm a better hockey fan for the experience.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:03 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I can't even begin to understand your reasoning here. There is more activity on Nashville's board here, and so that suggest that the Isles are in need of help? Explain.....

Isles fans have a different site that we all frequent. The fact that there is more "activity" on the Nashville board means absolutely nothing.
It was stated that since there were more many more Isle's fans on this board, OfficeGlen would help defend the Predators. Take that PHD, cash it in at your local Office Depot and buy a mouse with a scroll wheel in the middle. Then use that to scroll up and read the post I was responding to

Old
10-01-2003, 11:04 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Given the amount of time I currently spend in Nashville, that is a moot point. I'm there five to six times a year, and I'm in touch with people there almost every day. The interest among everybody I talk to is low.

Yeah, fan interest will increase if Nashville develops into a contender. But, that may be sometime in coming. Anyway, teams don't tend to have staying power when their fan base is composed of fans who are primarily interested when the situation is good.
See, in a non-hockey market, you have to have a winner to build a fan-base. Then, you can withstand the hard times. But you can't build a fanbase in a non-hockey market without winning.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
It was stated that since there were more many more Isle's fans on this board, OfficeGlen would help defend the Predators. Take that PHD, cash it in at your local Office Depot and buy a mouse with a scroll wheel in the middle. Then use that to scroll up and read the post I was responding to
Yikes! My apologies dude. I GROSSLY misunderstood you.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
See, in a non-hockey market, you have to have a winner to build a fan-base. Then, you can withstand the hard times. But you can't build a fanbase in a non-hockey market without winning.

I disagree. In my experience, fans come to watch a winner than leave when things get bad. Out here in Los Angeles, that has clearly happened (and LA is, like Nashville, a non-hockey town). Kings were the hottest ticket in town when Gretzky was here. Now, the Kings are not even on the radar for many sports fans. They have a large enough following to sustain themselves only because of the huge population base out here.

I think the Preds will continue to draw OK. But, they'll never be a hot ticket in Nashville, unless the team turns into contenders (which could happen given some of Poile's shrewd moves).

Old
10-01-2003, 12:29 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I disagree. In my experience, fans come to watch a winner than leave when things get bad. Out here in Los Angeles, that has clearly happened (and LA is, like Nashville, a non-hockey town). Kings were the hottest ticket in town when Gretzky was here. Now, the Kings are not even on the radar for many sports fans. They have a large enough following to sustain themselves only because of the huge population base out here.

I think the Preds will continue to draw OK. But, they'll never be a hot ticket in Nashville, unless the team turns into contenders (which could happen given some of Poile's shrewd moves).

I'll say this, can you recall a non-hockey market that has built itself a considerable fanbase without winning? Not that it can't be done, rather, it won't be done. Let the Preds win, then 40 years later, Nashville is no longer a non-hockey market. It takes lots and lots of time though.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'll say this, can you recall a non-hockey market that has built itself a considerable fanbase without winning? Not that it can't be done, rather, it won't be done. Let the Preds win, then 40 years later, Nashville is no longer a non-hockey market. It takes lots and lots of time though.
One good sign: Poile has made all the right moves. He has patiently built through the draft, turned his veteran assets (like Ronning and Dunham) into young prospects, and built the team from the goal out. I've been extremely impressed with the team he has put together, and think Nashville has the chance to be very, very good.

OT: I've lived all over the country, and all over the world. Nashville is still one of my very favorite cities.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
OT: I've lived all over the country, and all over the world. Nashville is still one of my very favorite cities.

Shhhh. We're America's best kept secret.

You know, your not too bad for and Islanders and SC fan.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The problem is that in TN hockey was only televised when espn televised it. No one in TN had really heard of hockey until the Predators moved here. It takes time to build a fanbase especially when the team is an expansion team that starts completely from scratch. Popularity is growing each year. Where I used to have no friends that liked hockey, I now have several due to me being a fan, and due to there going to games. Everyone I have talked to has LOVED attending the game. In fact, they prefered it to the NFL games. However, most do not understand what is going on , lately though, it is beginning to change. For example, last year quite a few games torwards the end of the season were sold out, whereas before there was always plenty of available tickets. I guess my point is, that hockey is growing on Tennesseans. This isn't canada where kids are born with a helmet on and a hockeystick in hand, its tennessee where kids are given a bible and a football. I think our management has done an excellent job of adapting to this environment and are increasing the fanbase year-by-year.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, when I lived in TN, the local papers didn't even print box scores. I had to buy USAtoday if I wanted to know who scored.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

yeah ;(. The Tennessean is doing a great job covering the Preds so far this year.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
yeah ;(. The Tennessean is doing a great job covering the Preds so far this year.
i have to give it to them, they really are. john glennon has improved greatly, since he first started as the preds writer. the city paper\mark mcgee were always the only source for impartial, reliable information about the preds.

Closed Thread