HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pronger in talks w/Edmonton - Long term deal

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2005, 11:48 AM
dionne16

vCash: 500
Pronger in talks w/Edmonton - Long term deal

Sportsnet Link

Something you probably would not have heard before the new CBA - i like it!!

Naslund, Iginla and Pronger staying with their current Canadian teams...

Old
08-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Phil333

The Edmonton Sun reported that the deal is done. 5 years, $6 million per. http://edmsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Wednes...57619-sun.html

Old
08-03-2005, 11:52 AM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionne16
Sportsnet Link

Something you probably would not have heard before the new CBA - i like it!!

Naslund, Iginla and Pronger staying with their current Canadian teams...

Tsn.ca has Pronger already signed ... 5 years/31.25 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132273

Old
08-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Peter Griffin

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132273

He's already signed with Edmonton, 5 years @ $6.25 mil per.

Old
08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Realm

I thought he already signed a 5 year deal worth 6.25 million a year. tsn.ca had it, so did sportsnet earlier. nice of the Oilers website to have nothing on the Pronger trade, I guess they cant usurp the big trade of Isbister!

Old
08-03-2005, 11:56 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Done deal, supposedly.

5 years at $31.25 million.

That puts Pronger at just over 6 per season. Hopefully this set's the bar for Niedermayer and squashes any chance of him signing for $7million or more.

Will be announced at a press conference later today.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:00 PM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
Star defenceman Chris Pronger has signed a five-year deal worth
over 31 (m) million dollars U-S with Edmonton.

Off CP wire

Old
08-03-2005, 12:04 PM
jihad

Send a message via MSN to jihad
Well done Kevin Lowe. The Oilers really needed this,alot. Hopefully, the addition of Chris Pronger will be followed be a signing of a #1 Center or a top forward of some sort.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:21 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihad
Well done Kevin Lowe. The Oilers really needed this,alot. Hopefully, the addition of Chris Pronger will be followed be a signing of a #1 Center or a top forward of some sort.
Lowe got ripped to shreds in his deal for Pronger. If he wanted to spend so much on an elite dman why didnt he just sign Niedermayer to the max and keep one of the best cheap young dmen in the league as well? He sold out the future blueline for a guy who wont make much of a difference. I feel bad for Edmonton in this deal.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
Lowe got ripped to shreds in his deal for Pronger. If he wanted to spend so much on an elite dman why didnt he just sign Niedermayer to the max and keep one of the best cheap young dmen in the league as well? He sold out the future blueline for a guy who wont make much of a difference. I feel bad for Edmonton in this deal.
Lowe is still trying to sign a centre, so signing Niedermayer to the max would be less money with him to work with. Also, they did not sell the future. Woywitka and Lynch didn't have breakout seasons in the AHL this year; some say their careers didn't take the next step. Greene is closer to the NHL than both of them, and the Oilers just added Syvret and Chorney to the organization on Saturday... not to mention that Semenov and Bergeron are current Oilers, Smith is signed for three more years, and Staios for two. And Brewer was going to be a UFA next year... I don't think he really wanted to be here and imo he would have left town next summer. You're kidding yourself if you think Brewer right now is on the same level as Pronger.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:33 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's comments like these that crack me up.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
He sold out the future blueline for a guy who wont make much of a difference.
The have Pronger for 5 years, how much more future do you want?

Old
08-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Motel

And how would Pronger not make a difference? His defensive play aside, if he were on the Oilers last season he would've been second on the team in scoring.

Old
jihad

Send a message via MSN to jihad
Quote:
Okay well, Pronger is one of the top defencemen in the league right now, 7.8-6.25 = 1.55 milion dollars... thus, offering the max for niedermayer would have costed us an extra 1.55 million dollars of which we can pick up another second or third line player. The oilers were trying to lock down Brewer to a long term deal and Brewer didnt want a long term deal as he would be an UFA next year. I think this is one of the best moves lowe could have made...hes looking at this upcoming season as well as the future. Now that we got Pronger, it'll be easier for Lowe to sign other players cause now weve got a big name as part of the oilers. Who wouldnt want to play with chris pronger?

Old
Slats432

Quote:
Funny that everyone in Edmonton feels the exact opposite. You don't attain top echelon players without paying for them.

No shreds...Brewer poised to be a UFA in one to two years...both prospects had off years with Greene, Tesliuk, Gilbert, and now Syrvet in the fold.

No one sad in Oil Town....nice to see a superstar back in Copper and Blue.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Oilerfan120582

Exactly, Brewer wasn't exactly cheap and was set to be an UFA. Do you want Brewer for one year, or Pronger for five???!!

I've heard people ripping Lowe for signing a player for $6M/year, yet Calgary signs Iggy for $7M and nobody complains, Naslund for $6M and nobody complains. Sure Pronger is a bit of a risk given past injuries, but anybody can get injured, and I bet a year off did wonders for his health. Having one franchise player at that price isn't going to prevent teams from staying under the cap. The Oilers had a pretty good team before...now we have an elite d-man and another $3-5M to spend on a top line forward.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:44 PM
coppernblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582
Exactly, Brewer wasn't exactly cheap and was set to be an UFA. Do you want Brewer for one year, or Pronger for five???!!

I've heard people ripping Lowe for signing a player for $6M/year, yet Calgary signs Iggy for $7M and nobody complains, Naslund for $6M and nobody complains. Sure Pronger is a bit of a risk given past injuries, but anybody can get injured, and I bet a year off did wonders for his health. Having one franchise player at that price isn't going to prevent teams from staying under the cap. The Oilers had a pretty good team before...now we have an elite d-man and another $3-5M to spend on a top line forward.
Yea i was gonna ask how much do we have left for a top line centre.
Factor in brewers salary+isbisters salary thats prolly in the neighbourhood of 4 million and pronger at 6.25 million, there should be 5-6 million left for a top line centre as well.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Pilot

Five-year, $31.25 million deal

Pronger is inked to a Five-year, $31.25 million deal.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html

Closed Thread