HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blues Sign Ryan Reaves to 4-Year Extension (1.125M AAV)

Old
01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
dmj616

vCash: 500
Great signing. Would have been difficult imagining him playing on another team. Seems to be passionate about being a Blue.

dmj616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 09:24 PM
ps241
atta boy JMo

I am from Winnipeg and have met Ryan on more than one occasion when he is back in town. Ryan loves everything about St Louis....the fans, the people, the team, and the city. He and his fiancé will be really happy today.

character 4th line player that I would love to have on the Jets. Good signing.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Jzk

vCash: 750
Great extension. One of the best 4th liners in the league. He brings so much to the team.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Ronaldo
★★★

vCash: 55
One of the best 4th liners in the league (along with Lappy) nice signing.

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 09:53 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Apparently GMs wanted contract length limits so they could sign 4th liners for too long.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Stopsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Apparently GMs wanted contract length limits so they could sign 4th liners for too long.
That's what you took out of this? Well...ok i guess...

Reaves is great happy to have him around

Stopsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
I don't get this. 26 years old, one of the better 4th liners. What's wrong with 4 years?

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:42 AM
Gustav Nyquist
Failure by design

This makes Tootoo's contract look even worse.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:01 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Great job by Ryan Reaves convincing the Blues that they need to sign him to a contract longer than that of Alexander Steen. All the while doing so with Ken Hitchcock deathly afraid to use him (despite his belief of the contrary)

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usage...Update+Results
Pulling out a player usage chart for an enforcer? Okay, this shows us nothing.

Reaves is a great 4th-liner and every Blues fan is really happy to have him locked up. He's one of the hardest hitters in the league, can fight, can skate well for his size, and like another poster said knows his limitations. He is good along the boards and in front of the net and has a decent shot. He is an effective player for us and creates a ton of energy. In the games he's played this season he gets an 'A' letter grade.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:04 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I don't get this. 26 years old, one of the better 4th liners. What's wrong with 4 years?
The only argument I can think of is enforcers come and go and are prone to injuries.

IMO, Reaves is a beast and it's a great signing.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:34 AM
detredWINgs

Not to rain on the parade, but here's a legit question: How many enforcer/4th line types are effective for 4 years? Or even consistently beyond a season or two? Can't think of many off the top of my head. Maybe Reaves can develop a bit more offensively, however.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:37 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Whitaker View Post
This makes Tootoo's contract look even worse.
Tootoo was coming off a 30 point season when he signed that deal and has wheels that can keep up with Darren Helm. His problem in Detroit is he isn't a PKer and Detroit doesn't use anyone on the 4th line that can't kill penalties and do it well. Babs can't stand him.

Reaves wouldn't even sniff the ice in Detroit, which isn't to say his skillset wouldn't be more valuable than others currently on their team. Its just not how Detroit runs their team.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:43 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but here's a legit question: How many enforcer/4th line types are effective for 4 years? Or even consistently beyond a season or two? Can't think of many off the top of my head. Maybe Reaves can develop a bit more offensively, however.
Reaves isn't just an enforcer, he's become an every day player. Unlike most fighters he actually knows how to play hockey. Prust and Thornton are two fourth liners that I can think of off the top of my head.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:44 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
Tootoo was coming off a 30 point season when he signed that deal and has wheels that can keep up with Darren Helm. His problem in Detroit is he isn't a PKer and Detroit doesn't use anyone on the 4th line that can't kill penalties and do it well. Babs can't stand him.

Reaves wouldn't even sniff the ice in Detroit, which isn't to say his skillset wouldn't be more valuable than others currently on their team. Its just not how Detroit runs their team.
And the majority of Red Wings wouldn't sniff the ice on the Blues.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:50 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
And the majority of Red Wings wouldn't sniff the ice on the Blues.
Jeez. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? I posted an informative comment. Should I instead have opted for immediate spite towards the Blues making a decent move with a tirade against the Blues and their decades of early ousting from the playoffs while the Wings went on to win 4 Stanley Cups?

Oh, HF....

Edit: I actually think you misread my post. When I said Reaves wouldn't sniff the ice in Detroit regardless of his skillset being more valuable than many on their team, I meant on the Wings. As in the Wings could use Reaves more than several players on the roster, but he still wouldn't see the ice because of the way Babcock likes to roll.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:58 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
Jeez. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? I posted an informative comment. Should I instead have opted for immediate spite towards the Blues making a decent move with a tirade against the Blues and their decades of early ousting from the playoffs while the Wings went on to win 4 Stanley Cups?

Oh, HF....

Edit: I actually think you misread my post. When I said Reaves wouldn't sniff the ice in Detroit regardless of his skillset being more valuable than many on their team, I meant on the Wings. As in the Wings could use Reaves more than several players on the roster, but he still wouldn't see the ice because of the way Babcock likes to roll.
Blues lost to the Canucks and I can't stand that team. My apologies.

Old
01-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Oscar Acosta

Ryan Reaves is ****ing awesome. I'd have paid him more as a GM of any other team, but congrats to the guy. One of my favorite players in the league, he's earned it and more.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:36 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Awesome getting Reeves to sign a 4 year extension to one of the better 4th liners in the NHL.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 04:17 AM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Great job by Ryan Reaves convincing the Blues that they need to sign him to a contract longer than that of Alexander Steen. All the while doing so with Ken Hitchcock deathly afraid to use him (despite his belief of the contrary)

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usage...Update+Results
In what way is the Reaves extension even comparable to the Steen extension? Reaves is well worth it as most people are saying.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Orca Smash

I would have went 1.25 for him and thats simply because he is my favorite 4th liner in the league.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 04:58 AM
SteenMachine

We're using approximately 1.5% of cap space on the guy over the next 4 seasons and you still have the nerve to ***** about the term. Wow. Literally the worst case scenario is a buyout where we barely pay him.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

That's a beauty of a deal.

01-11-2014, 06:46 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Hoped against hope that Reaves could be gotten in the offseason.
Anyway, solid deal St.Louis.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Brilliant deal.

Rob Nieds work ethic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:25 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Pulling out a player usage chart for an enforcer? Okay, this shows us nothing.
Reaves is a great 4th-liner and every Blues fan is really happy to have him locked up. He's one of the hardest hitters in the league, can fight, can skate well for his size, and like another poster said knows his limitations. He is good along the boards and in front of the net and has a decent shot. He is an effective player for us and creates a ton of energy. In the games he's played this season he gets an 'A' letter grade.[/QUOTE]

He can hit, skate, energy and fight. You just described a terrible hockey player, which is why you ignore the usage chart as further shows that his coach doesn't trust him to do anything besides take up space. $4M well worth it apparently. I'll give you one thing, he's a better at trying to play hockey than many other punchers. Just because other idiot GMs paid those guys more, doesn't mean you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
In what way is the Reaves extension even comparable to the Steen extension? Reaves is well worth it as most people are saying.
And most people are wrong. At 4 years and over $1M AAV, he's not a 4th line puncher anymore. Time to kill penalties and be a shutdown forward. Otherwise, it's an egregious waste of time and money, especially since 4th line punchers are going the way of dinosaurs. If he is unable to contribute further, he'll be finishing the contract in the AHL while another 4th line puncher who makes less money sits on the end of the bench. If being a Blue was truly a thing for Reaves, the team should have been confident that they could keep singing him to 1-2 year deals for along the lines of what he's making now.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote