HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Blues Sign Ryan Reaves to 4-Year Extension (1.125M AAV)

Old
01-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

vCash: 500
GKJ obviously doesn't watch Reaves and apparently has never watched Reaves.

But hey, charts tell all the stories.

Terror91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
GKJ obviously doesn't watch Reaves and apparently has never watched Reaves.

But hey, charts tell all the stories.
The charts are a collection of data taken from watching the games. Are you disputing people who collect the data are not watching the games?

Old
01-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The charts are a collection of data taken from watching the games. Are you disputing people who collect the data are not watching the games?
Numbers and stats don't tell the story. The games do. If you looked at the stat chart from last nights Blues game you'd think Tarasenko had nothing to do with the goal scored last night. The stats or charts wouldn't show it, but he was.

Ryan Reaves is critical to the Blues forechecking. He keeps teams on their heals. He can control the puck well, he can actually carry it into the zone and control the puck in the offensive and defensive zone. He isn't used on the PK because we have players just as good defensively with better offensive instincts.

By your count, if you're a fourth liner who can't score, your useless.

Old
01-11-2014, 09:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Numbers and stats don't tell the story. The games do. If you looked at the stat chart from last nights Blues game you'd think Tarasenko had nothing to do with the goal scored last night. The stats or charts wouldn't show it, but he was.
Again, are you disputing those who record the data, are not watching the games? Simple answer there.

Quote:
Ryan Reaves is critical to the Blues forechecking. He keeps teams on their heals. He can control the puck well, he can actually carry it into the zone and control the puck in the offensive and defensive zone. He isn't used on the PK because we have players just as good defensively with better offensive instincts.
In all 10 shifts!

Quote:
By your count, if you're a fourth liner who can't score, your useless.
No, if you're a 4th liner who can't kill penalties and/or otherwise be relied on for defensive situations, you're useless. Even the Flyers were trying to desperately find something else for Zac Rinaldo to do.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:11 AM
fcpremix88

Quote:
No, if you're a 4th liner who can't kill penalties and/or otherwise be relied on for defensive situations, you're useless. Even the Flyers were trying to desperately find something else for Zac Rinaldo to do.
Who's he going to replace on the PK? Backes? Oshie? Steen? Sobotka? Berglund? Schwartz? Lapierre? Tarasenko? Roy?

The Blues are blessed with defensively responsible forwards. Reaves fits the team philosophy of a North-south game, heavy forechecking, and winning puck battles along the boards. Reaves' work in the first round against LA was impressive when looking at how little ice-time he had.

It's a good contract.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:32 AM
His Beardliness*

Wow, not many 4th liners get 4 year deals.

His Beardliness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:33 AM
BigBrown
Fly at eleven.

vCash: 1250
Kings were limping away from the first round last year and Reaves had the biggest individual contribution in that regard. Good signing, he's a beast.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:47 AM
ZeroPT*

vCash: 50
I love Reaves! was hoping he'd make it to FA and buffalo could swoop in and pick him up... good contract, great guy!

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
Who's he going to replace on the PK? Backes? Oshie? Steen? Sobotka? Berglund? Schwartz? Lapierre? Tarasenko? Roy?

The Blues are blessed with defensively responsible forwards. Reaves fits the team philosophy of a North-south game, heavy forechecking, and winning puck battles along the boards. Reaves' work in the first round against LA was impressive when looking at how little ice-time he had.

It's a good contract.
He doesn't replace any of them, since he isn't a very good player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Kings were limping away from the first round last year and Reaves had the biggest individual contribution in that regard. Good signing, he's a beast.
They weren't limping bad enough that they couldn't dispatch a team that swept their 1st round opponent, so maybe it wasn't really relevant.

If they had guys better than Reaves that could score, the Blues may have even won that series.

Old
01-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Diatomic
Mitch Matthewlander

So many Blues players are taking pay cuts to play for the Blues, lucky them.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
Reaves is the perfect 4th liner, he can skate, he hits, fights, strong on the cycle and has decent puck skills. Absolutely love this deal.
Sounds like a young Shawn Thornton. Great signing. I was hoping the Bruins could acquire to takeover Thorntons spot on 4th line RW

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

GKJ, can you hate on the Blues anymore? You're view that stats tell the entire story is completely flawed and your "knowledge" of Ryan Reaves is laughable.

Old
01-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Hooliganx3

Quote:
You're pretty clueless when it comes to Reaves charts stats etc doesn't replace watching a player play.

Just ask Kings fans if he has an impact on the game.

Maybe you should actually watch the guy before you make ill informed opinions on a player by reading a chart.

Hooliganx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
GKJ, can you hate on the Blues anymore? You're view that stats tell the entire story is completely flawed and your "knowledge" of Ryan Reaves is laughable.
Yeah, I'm a Blues hater. That's been my MO forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
You're pretty clueless when it comes to Reaves charts stats etc doesn't replace watching a player play.

Just ask Kings fans if he has an impact on the game.

Maybe you should actually watch the guy before you make ill informed opinions on a player by reading a chart.
I don't need to ask Kings fans, I am one (aside from the Flyers of course). It was just mentioned how much he beat the Kings up in the playoff series. The Kings won the series, and then won the next series against a division rival who was well-rested having swept their prior opponent. The team they lost to takes their 7-minute punchers off the ice in the playoffs. So, what did he do? Nothing.

Old
01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
ManofSteel55

Great deal, I really like Reaves, great energy player.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
I don't need to ask Kings fans, I am one (aside from the Flyers of course). It was just mentioned how much he beat the Kings up in the playoff series. The Kings won the series, and then won the next series against a division rival who was well-rested having swept their prior opponent. The team they lost to takes their 7-minute punchers off the ice in the playoffs. So, what did he do? Nothing.
The Kings beating the Blues certainly does not mean that an energy player who had a great series did not fill his role.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:08 PM
BlueDream

Ken Hitchcock has said publicly before that he thinks Reaves can eventually turn into a penalty killer as well.

I'm not sure if that will ever happen - maybe not due to all the two-way forwards we have that already do a fine job - but the guy is a fixture on our 4th line and is an everyday player now.

People can talk about fighting leaving the game all they want but I don't think it will just go away within the next 4 years - that's a pretty quick turnaround. Therefore, having Reaves locked up to hit and provide energy for us is a good deal so we won't have to worry about signing other enforcers. So yeah, it's funny that someone using a player usage chart is bashing the signing.

I think BigBrown's post about sums it up. Reaves bruised up some Kings players pretty good in that playoff series, and we need guys like him to hang in there with LA. He's a valuable player for his role. We like him here and he likes being here, so a 4-year deal is absolutely logical.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Novacain

Reaves, whose main job is to play 4th line minutes and not allow goals, has only been on the ice for 9 goals in his last 70 games. in that stretch, which covers all the games he's played in the last 2 seasons, he has been on the ice for 18 goals for. 2 to 1 ratio is pretty damn good for a 4th line "enforcer"

He is damn good at what he does, and he could probably do more on a lot of teams that aren't as deep as St. Louis. His game is constantly improving, and I'd be comfortable putting him out on the PK if over half of our team were not among the better PK forwards in the league.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 01-11-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: .
Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
The Kings beating the Blues certainly does not mean that an energy player who had a great series did not fill his role.
And my point is that his role was irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post

Reaves, whose main job is to play 4th line minutes and not allow goals, has only been on the ice for 9 goals in his last 70 games. in that stretch, which covers all the games he's played in the last 2 seasons, he has been on the ice for 18 goals for. 2 to 1 ratio is pretty damn good for a 4th line "enforcer"

He is damn good at what he does, and he could probably do more on a lot of teams that aren't as deep as St. Louis. His game is constantly improving, and I'd be comfortable putting him out on the PK if over half of our team were not among the better PK forwards in the league.
That's a pretty broad basis using full games, when he's had a number of games under 7 minutes. Only Adam Cracknell has faced weaker competition this season among your forwards.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 01-11-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

That's a pretty broad basis using full games, when he's had a number of games under 7 minutes. Only Adam Cracknell has faced weaker competition this season among your forwards.
Wait, you're saying the Blues' 4th line forwards face lower quality competition than the forwards on the top 3 lines?

As for Reaves playing an irrelevant role on the 4th line in last year's playoffs, sorry that is laughable.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 01-11-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: quote[
PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Boombox Generation
#LGB

Quote:
How is his role on a team set up such as the Blues irrelevant?

I find it astonishing that you're arguing with people who see him play night in and night out.

You're extremely misinformed as to how his play aids this team.

Boombox Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Wait, you're saying the Blues' 4th line forwards face lower quality competition than the forwards on the top 3 lines?
Going up against other 4th lines, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
As for Reaves playing an irrelevant role on the 4th line in last year's playoffs, sorry that is laughable.
I often laughed when that line hit the ice. Free time off the clock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisenBackes View Post
How is his role on a team set up such as the Blues irrelevant?

I find it astonishing that you're arguing with people who see him play night in and night out.

You're extremely misinformed as to how his play aids this team.

Not relevant. I've seen almost every one of Zac Rinaldo's games and often contend with people who have likewise yet claim he can play hockey.

Old
01-11-2014, 02:36 PM
McDNicks17
Leon!

vCash: 50
NHL general managers value 4th liners while some posters on HF(who just happen to be citing advanced stats) don't.

Shocking.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Boombox Generation
#LGB

Quote:
Not relevant. I've seen almost every one of Zac Rinaldo's games and often contend with people who have likewise yet claim he can play hockey.
So because you've seen a different player on a team you do watch you think you know and understand how much Reaves means to the Blues.

That's incredible, man. I rarely get to see such a misinformed viewpoint, even on HF.

Boombox Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Novacain

You are the only person in this entire thread save like one dude who has questioned Reaves play. You can base that of advanced stats all you want, which under most circumstances I support, but if you can't comprehend that a 4th line player on a team who might be the best team in the NHL in terms of depth in there top 9 forwards being able to play against anyone in any role.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 01-11-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: more
Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote