HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blues Sign Ryan Reaves to 4-Year Extension (1.125M AAV)

Old
01-11-2014, 02:59 PM
huntison

vCash: 500
This is worse than phaneufs contract!

huntison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:10 PM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

How is he supposed to fight if he breaks his hand fighting?

Any concerns there?

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:16 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Going up against other 4th lines, even.
Yes. He's a 4th liner. 4th liners often play against weaker opposition than the top three lines. For example, sometimes they play against the other team's fourth line.

Relative to his own teammates, Reaves has a negative rating, but look who his teammates are. Reaves has a positive CorsiOn. He succeeds in his role relative to his opposition when he's on the ice, even if it is often against other 4th lines. You're saying it like he should be ashamed of his performance. He succeeds in the role he's assigned. If he's blue in CorsiOn, it means he's outplaying the opponent players against whom he's matched, the play is being driven forward. I'm trying to figure out why you're ripping him for succeeding.

I think you should take it as a hint when the die-hard Blues fans who watch every game are telling you universally that you're wrong in apprehending Reaves' value to this team. Every single year he has improved. This is a guy who scratched his way up from the ECHL. He's a solid fighter but you're talking to someone who doesn't get into the staged bouts. I value him for his motor, his spark on that 4th line, his heavy forecheck and his small but underrated offensive touch (gets a surprising amount of quality chances for the minutes he plays), which we fans see constantly improving. Often an energetic shift from Reaves' line cascades over into our other lines, another thing the Corsi charts don't show. That is certainly what happened in the playoffs, so it's bizarre to me you found it funny our 4th line kept sparking us.

Think about it. If this guy were purely an enforcer, do you honestly think an entire fanbase would be this enthused about the signing? Maybe ask yourself if there's something else going on with this player that the people who watch him constantly keep telling you. This is an every-night player whose contribution we value regardless of whether he fights. So either our entire fan base is crazy or you may be missing something. I know which one I think is more likely.

Quote:
I often laughed when that line hit the ice. Free time off the clock!
Well, ok, to each his own. I laughed when that line hit the ice in the playoffs, but for different reasons than you.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:17 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Great job by Ryan Reaves convincing the Blues that they need to sign him to a contract longer than that of Alexander Steen. All the while doing so with Ken Hitchcock deathly afraid to use him (despite his belief of the contrary)

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usage...Update+Results
Steen is going to be 33 when his extension expires.

Reaves will be 29 when his extension expires.

Steven's contract is roughly 8% of the team budget, with Reaves' counting roughly 1.5%.

That's why Reaves got the extra year.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:35 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

And most people are wrong. At 4 years and over $1M AAV, he's not a 4th line puncher anymore. Time to kill penalties and be a shutdown forward. Otherwise, it's an egregious waste of time and money, especially since 4th line punchers are going the way of dinosaurs. If he is unable to contribute further, he'll be finishing the contract in the AHL while another 4th line puncher who makes less money sits on the end of the bench. If being a Blue was truly a thing for Reaves, the team should have been confident that they could keep singing him to 1-2 year deals for along the lines of what he's making now.[/QUOTE]

And this is where you are wrong.

Reaves is more than a puncher, he also grinds and is good on the forecheck.

At ~1% of the cap, he doesn't need to kill penalties and shutdown opposing top six players. He simply needs to have a positive impact on the ice.

As mentioned, he already does more than punch.

Also, why would the Blues bury him in the minors and replace him with someone cheaper on the NHL roster? They will still have to pay him. As a non -cap team, it makes no sense for the Blues to do such a thing. Especially when they could easily trade him for a fifth round pick at that point.

Old
01-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

An absolute wrecking ball, good job Blues

01-11-2014, 03:42 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
How is he supposed to fight if he breaks his hand fighting?

Any concerns there?
Considering it happened once and is already healed and he brings more to the team than simply punching other people, nope, no concerns there.

This is how.

Old
01-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

4 years is a long time for a facepuncher, but whatever, 1mill cap hit hardly hurts if they need to dump him or something in the future

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
I often laughed when that line hit the ice. Free time off the clock!
So you laughed when our fourth line pinned your top two lines in their own zone? Or did you not bother to watch that series? Because the fourth line actually played very well. But sure let's just forget that little tidbit.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
The link to the signing on espn.com said 4 years, 4.5 million...and for some reason, my first thought was "Jesus ****ing Christ....who the **** gave this dude four and a half million dollars a year????" lol

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Wait Reaves faces low QoC? Whodathunkit

The Note in Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:54 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Again, are you disputing those who record the data, are not watching the games? Simple answer there.

In all 10 shifts!

No, if you're a 4th liner who can't kill penalties and/or otherwise be relied on for defensive situations, you're useless. Even the Flyers were trying to desperately find something else for Zac Rinaldo to do.
Even the Flyers? More like the Flyers terrible coaching couldn't accomplish anything on the checking game and has to rely on the 1st line and PP to carry them.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:59 PM
evolutionbaby

Nice to see, I work with a lot of athletes at the place he trains at in Winnipeg, very good guy. A long with this, I played high school hockey against him, the league that year had him, McLaren and Garbutt. Weird to see that coming from high school hockey opposed to AAA

evolutionbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:05 PM
BlueDream

It's amazing for that for how much Ryan Reaves apparently sucks, Ken Hitchcock continues to insert him into the lineup every single game that he's healthy - even over a guy like Magnus Paajarvi not to mention the other 4th-liners we have (Porter, Cracknell, etc) that constantly get benched in favor of Reaves. But only HF posters shed such true insight on these things and they know more than Hitchcock (who raves about Reaves). He's an energy guy - the fact that someone brought up a player usage chart to show the quality of competition a 4th-liner proves is laughable and shows that poster is trying to overcompensate for something.

That guy is also probably the only Kings fan that wasn't impressed by our 4th-line in the playoffs.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:06 PM
tinkezione
Butcher's Dog

We pay Tanner Glass more. Absolutely fantastic signing by the Blues, love Reaves' energy and wrecking power he brings. He can actually also play a bit.

tinkezione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:07 PM
ottawa

vCash: 69
Brutal contract, that length is just awful.

01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Brutal contract, that length is just awful.
Almost as brutal as listening to a song by Taylor Swift.

The Note in Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Boombox Generation
Vlad the Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note in Ky View Post
Almost as brutal as listening to a song by Taylor Swift.
Almost, but not quite.

Boombox Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Ched Brosky

Damn have been wanting reaves on the Canucks for 2 years now. Loved what I saw from him when he got his first cup of coffee in the NHL.

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

if my "Unpleasant!" from the first page was misunderstood, what I meant is that I don't like having this guy on the Blues for 4 years, on a good deal, against Ducks. One of the best 4th liners in the league, easily.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Captain Saku

Wanted the habs to trade for him instead of Parros. I like his game very much.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
He can hit, skate, energy and fight. You just described a terrible hockey player, which is why you ignore the usage chart as further shows that his coach doesn't trust him to do anything besides take up space. $4M well worth it apparently. I'll give you one thing, he's a better at trying to play hockey than many other punchers. Just because other idiot GMs paid those guys more, doesn't mean you do.

And most people are wrong. At 4 years and over $1M AAV, he's not a 4th line puncher anymore. Time to kill penalties and be a shutdown forward. Otherwise, it's an egregious waste of time and money, especially since 4th line punchers are going the way of dinosaurs. If he is unable to contribute further, he'll be finishing the contract in the AHL while another 4th line puncher who makes less money sits on the end of the bench. If being a Blue was truly a thing for Reaves, the team should have been confident that they could keep singing him to 1-2 year deals for along the lines of what he's making now.
Do I dare asked if you have watched and followed the development of Ryan Reeves? Everything you have said up till this point indicates you have not.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:20 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
And my point is that his role was irrelevant.
Are all 4th liners irrelevant then? Sorry, but your point is completely off base, he played well, he plays well every night, this is a good signing.

ManofSteel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Overkamp

Ryan Reaves is very undervalued but he brings a lot to the table.

He can skate well, hits well, fights well, brings tons of energy among many other things.

He was part of that line (Cracknell/Porter/Reaves--I think?) that was just crazy hard on the LA Kings in the playoffs. Probably the best line the Blues had in that series.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 50
I do find it funny that a Global Mod is trolling the entire Blues fan base over a 4th liner.

Well done!?!

Anyways great signing, happy to have Reaves for 4 more years and pretty cheap too!

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote