HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where are the stairs out of the basement? (MacTavish interview) [UPD: OP]

Old
01-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Del Preston

vCash: 50
Where are the stairs out of the basement? (MacTavish interview) [UPD: OP]

Staples did an hour long interview with MacTavish. Good article. (MOD EDIT: More extensive interview at the bottom of this post)

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Oiler...176/story.html

A few gems:

Quote:
With the Oilers losing so much in Lowe’s recent tenure, I suggest it is likely time to change the leadership of the organization, just as almost all NHL teams do when the losses start to mount.

“Well, I would say it would be a big mistake for us,” MacTavish says. “I appreciate Kevin Lowe’s leadership. I think we’re currently right on track to where we want to go. Like, I really feel like we’ve got limitless upside with this group.”
Quote:
“We’ve got more resources invested in development than any other team in the NHL.”
Quote:
The data on scoring chances suggests the two-way play of Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Gagner and Yakupov has gone sideways under Eakins, but MacTavish doesn’t buy this statistical assessment.

“I don’t think it’s accurate in what I’m seeing. When you talk to people that know hockey very well they will tell you that they are seeing structural changes in Taylor Hall.”

---

UPDATE: For some reason theres an abridged version that came out yesterday and a more extensive 3 part interview. Links to follow:

I: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...lose-were-not/
II: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...n-kevin-and-i/
III: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...te-these-guys/

Last edited by Soli: 01-11-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:09 AM
oilers83

vCash: 500
So basically, we know more than you, and everyone else.

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:16 AM
jbean

Yikes don't like the hope for this team moving forward. What exactly does MacT mean when he says we have invested more into player development than any team in the NHL? If that's the case we don't have much to show for it.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:21 AM
thinlizzy

Mac T isn't going to throw 6 rings under the bus. Easier to shovel the garbage and see who swallows it.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:46 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Yikes don't like the hope for this team moving forward. What exactly does MacT mean when he says we have invested more into player development than any team in the NHL? If that's the case we don't have much to show for it.
Maybe it means that in addition to jobs for life that they get paid better than their peers too?

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:56 AM
T-Funk

Lucky for us our management group knows more than anyone else. I love how when anyone brings up their failures, they say "well people who actually know hockey say we're doing awesome"

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:02 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 100
"We've played in this league, we know more than you. Stats don't beat our eyes. We stick together, forever."

That's all I'm getting from this. I seriously think that Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish think their hockey knowledge is more prevalent than statistical basis or rational thought on any subject when it comes to their sweet, sweet Oilers.

We're ****ed.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:11 AM
LTIR

vCash: 300
and what did you expect him to say?
Lowe is a bum and needs to go ?

good luck with that... Hall is a great talent but still requires "structural adjustments".. he is far from a player I can trust on the ice without the puck..

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:18 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
and what did you expect him to say?
Lowe is a bum and needs to go ?

good luck with that... Hall is a great talent but still requires "structural adjustments".. he is far from a player I can trust on the ice without the puck..
It's just a reiteration of information that solidifies our current predicament:

Being stuck in a pile of **** for a long, long time. Well, at least while these morons are at the helm.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Mr Positive

I agree that Lowe should be let go, but I don't think he's a cancer either.

As for the direction of the team, that is hard to gauge. I think our main core of players are progressing just fine, even Yakupov, but I don't have much faith in the rest of the group. That young core can't do it on their own and they need support just like any other player

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:26 AM
Pablo Aimar

“For me, this guy has got the right balance of supporting the players and holding them accountable. There’s an accountability that I like.”

That is some hilarious **** right there. The whole interview is laughable.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:55 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Well MacT does admit that the team is flawed... so there is some hope.

I honestly think MacT isn't as dumb as his "propaganda" statements might lead us to believe.

He obviously has to say certain things because he's below Lowe in the food chain and can't go calling out his boss... especially while he's a rookie still wet behind the ears in his GM job.

He obviously sees the flaws in the overall makeup and defensive assets of this team. He knows they cannot effectively compete with the best teams in the West that are more physical, bigger and generally harder working teams.

He knows changes have to be made to surround that "elite" core with the necessary complementary parts so that they can't be picked apart in their own zone so easily and neutered in the offensive zone by teams with size and physicality.

While I think he knows all that... it of course remains to be seen whether he can actually change the structure of this team to make it truly more competitive and more capable of winning consistently.

What he doesn't know... what he can't know in fact... is if Eakins IS a good coach at the NHL level. He can't know that because so far all Eakins has is a dismal track record.

Is that because of the inferior players Eakins has to work with? Well if you cut Eakins some slack based on that then the blame falls back on MacT's head for procuring and providing those players for Eakins to work with.

Either way... results aren't coming and whatever way you cut it.. it's either Eakins fault or MacT's fault or a combination of the two... we as fans (and management supposedly as well) are left still having to have faith that this rebuild is on course and that the "elite talent" they have accumulated will deliver us all to the promised land.

Problem is we should not be having to deal with almost 100% faith at this stage... we should be seeing some more concrete results in terms of results in the standings and results on the ice.

MacT "gets" the problems this team has but still wants us to believe he can fix those problems AND that they are fixable in the first place.

That of course remains to be seen but when someone constantly has to keep saying and reasserting that there's no problem and that everything is on course and on track as planned when the results on the ice and in the standings say differently... logically you have to think that everything is in fact NOT on course and NOT on track as originally planned and expected.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 07:16 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I've never taken Mac-T for being an idiot, so I think he's lying through his teeth on several points here.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I've never taken Mac-T for being an idiot, so I think he's lying through his teeth on several points here.
i think he is lying about who he deems as untouchable. I don't believe for a second he would never trade Eberle, Yak, J. Schultz or Klefbom. if the deal was right, he'd move any of them.

I also doubt he believes everything is on track. He wouldn't be GM if it was.

As for Eakins... he probably still believes in him.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:26 AM
OiledUp

He'll obviously never say anything bad about the way Lowe runs this team. Him and Lowe even has an old deal to make sure they'll hire each other if given the chance as he's said in interviews before. It's the buddy system gone terrible.

They believe their understanding of hockey is way beyond that of anyone else so who are we to think we can question the abysmal results. The mantra seem to be "We are smarter than you. We are smarter than you. Resistance is futile. We are smarter than you."

I think the team will eventually turn it around. But if and when that happens it will likely be due to the players themselves pulling it together. And Lowe and MacTavish will without a doubt be there to claim credit and say I told you so with massive grins on their faces.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:29 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well MacT does admit that the team is flawed... so there is some hope.

I honestly think MacT isn't as dumb as his "propaganda" statements might lead us to believe.

He obviously has to say certain things because he's below Lowe in the food chain and can't go calling out his boss... especially while he's a rookie still wet behind the ears in his GM job.

He obviously sees the flaws in the overall makeup and defensive assets of this team. He knows they cannot effectively compete with the best teams in the West that are more physical, bigger and generally harder working teams.

He knows changes have to be made to surround that "elite" core with the necessary complementary parts so that they can't be picked apart in their own zone so easily and neutered in the offensive zone by teams with size and physicality.

While I think he knows all that... it of course remains to be seen whether he can actually change the structure of this team to make it truly more competitive and more capable of winning consistently.

What he doesn't know... what he can't know in fact... is if Eakins IS a good coach at the NHL level. He can't know that because so far all Eakins has is a dismal track record.

Is that because of the inferior players Eakins has to work with? Well if you cut Eakins some slack based on that then the blame falls back on MacT's head for procuring and providing those players for Eakins to work with.

Either way... results aren't coming and whatever way you cut it.. it's either Eakins fault or MacT's fault or a combination of the two... we as fans (and management supposedly as well) are left still having to have faith that this rebuild is on course and that the "elite talent" they have accumulated will deliver us all to the promised land.

Problem is we should not be having to deal with almost 100% faith at this stage... we should be seeing some more concrete results in terms of results in the standings and results on the ice.

MacT "gets" the problems this team has but still wants us to believe he can fix those problems AND that they are fixable in the first place.

That of course remains to be seen but when someone constantly has to keep saying and reasserting that there's no problem and that everything is on course and on track as planned when the results on the ice and in the standings say differently... logically you have to think that everything is in fact NOT on course and NOT on track as originally planned and expected.
Exactly... this is a proud guy trying his best to sugar-coat a "mea culpa". He's essentially saying it's not Lowe, it's not Eakins, it's that (despite the good moves he's made) he's not yet done enough to surround our players with the proper support.... doing that was harder than he, a rookie GM, expected.

That's what I get from the interview and to be frank, I don't know I could expect more. He's already shouted at a fan, so we KNOW he is feeling the pressure. And I don't expect or want him to break down crying, saying "it's all my fault". He's a guy with an unfinished job and he knows it.

This is speculation on my part, but I also think that he's probably a little more surprised that Ebs, Hall, Nuge, etc haven't *really* taken the next step forward.... but again, (given he knows their personalities better than we do) there is nothing to gain from admitting that and putting EVEN MORE pressure on the kids... so.... "structural changes", which essentially means "Hall still isn't playing well without the puck, but he's now at least somewhat in the right position... or rather, he's getting there... despite that it's too late to change the fate of that particular play".

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Hammer8

He thinks Gagner is improving positionally? What a joke. Gagner - he of 7 other seasons - plays like he just graduated from Bantam A defensively.

The entire interview is laughable.

We ****ed.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Slicknitty
The Crappening

vCash: 3581
Sounded like your typical "nothing to see here move along" propaganda interview. I fear that even mact is drinking the hope kool-aid since the losing culture is acceptable to him (support of Lowe, Eakins, asst coaches, team "entertainment value" and other statements/excuses). To me it appears Katz is the orchestrator of the whole thing since he tacitly supports this awfulness. These guys are all in it for the long haul and seeing how Tambellini got treated makes me scratch my head.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:53 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
macT must be an unreal poker player, he is lying right through his own teeth he knows exactly whats wrong and he cant say it cause its his boss/bud

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:10 AM
MegaSpiderman66

nucks fan come in peace.

Klowe hired MacT because of situations like this, as MacT will NEVER throw him under the bus or question his place in oilers management. Klowe wants a guy like this as GM. A guy he can trust to never all into question his authority or position as Director of Hockey Operations.

Unfortunately, I think it is pretty clear, that whilst good players 25 years ago, neither of them are very astute or savvy business men, as evidenced by their body of work (especially Klowe).

I just look at other recent hirings around the league, such as Jim Nill in Dallas, and now Tim Murray in Buffalo, and both of these guys appear to be miles ahead of MacT interms of talent assessment, shrewdness, and overall hockey smarts.

Like no offense, but I really do think that MacT and Klowe aren't very smart people and are going to struggle in leadership roles that require them to evaluate their surroundings then make decisions - whether hockey or otherwise.

So I guess my point is that whilst you have dumb and dumber in charge, that yeah, the oilers aren't going to go anywhere.

MegaSpiderman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Up the Irons

Just read it. what a load

he sees improvement? he says this team is entertaining? he says Gagner has improved? They spend the most on development? who cares, you're terrible at it.

He lied his way thru the whole thing.

Old
01-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSpiderman66 View Post
nucks fan come in peace.

Klowe hired MacT because of situations like this, as MacT will NEVER throw him under the bus or question his place in oilers management. Klowe wants a guy like this as GM. A guy he can trust to never all into question his authority or position as Director of Hockey Operations.

Unfortunately, I think it is pretty clear, that whilst good players 25 years ago, neither of them are very astute or savvy business men, as evidenced by their body of work (especially Klowe).

I just look at other recent hirings around the league, such as Jim Nill in Dallas, and now Tim Murray in Buffalo, and both of these guys appear to be miles ahead of MacT interms of talent assessment, shrewdness, and overall hockey smarts.

Like no offense, but I really do think that MacT and Klowe aren't very smart people and are going to struggle in leadership roles that require them to evaluate their surroundings then make decisions - whether hockey or otherwise.

So I guess my point is that whilst you have dumb and dumber in charge, that yeah, the oilers aren't going to go anywhere.
there's is ample proof that they both let emotions get in the way of sound decision making. MacT signed Gagner this summer because he likes the kid.; now he is trying to trade him at a low point. They traded Penner because they didn't like him and now he would be the perfect player to have. Can imagine the points he'd get with RNH and Eberle feeding him?

Old
01-11-2014, 12:01 PM
MegaSpiderman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
there's is ample proof that they both let emotions get in the way of sound decision making. MacT signed Gagner this summer because he likes the kid.; now he is trying to trade him at a low point. They traded Penner because they didn't like him and now he would be the perfect player to have. Can imagine the points he'd get with RNH and Eberle feeding him?
Agreed, RNH and Eberle could really use a guy with size who could create space and has good finish, such as Penner. And as much as Gagner is maligned on these boards (with good reason), trading a player when he is at his lowest point is not going to get you the return you want; on top of that, throw on the fact that he was just signed, yeah, it is not a recipe for success.

MegaSpiderman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

I updated the OP, but for everyone else...

UPDATE: For some reason theres an abridged version that came out yesterday and a more extensive 3 part interview. Links to follow:

I: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...lose-were-not/
II: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...n-kevin-and-i/
III: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...te-these-guys/

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

What a load of crap.

Results matter, and there's one constant through the results of the last decade.

When Klown is FINALLY gone this city will rejoice. I like the idea of "Fire lowe" bumper stickers, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like he's getting fired anytime soon after reading the article. And there is NOTHING that suggests success is right around the corner.

This franchise is screwed.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote