HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Props to Kyle Clifford for going at it with McQuaid last night

Old
01-11-2014, 12:15 AM
hangons

vCash: 500
Props to Kyle Clifford for going at it with McQuaid last night

McQuaid was throwing cheap shots all night long. Clifford wasn't going to take it anymore even though McQuaid is a heavy weight and much bigger. I have no clue why the dopes on HockeyFights.com voted McQuaid the winner as he didn't appear to land a single punch against someone who is usually a punching bag. Clifford has b@lls the size of church bells.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/121351

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
As I said in the GDT, Clifford is a horrific fighter, but I respect his gall and his energy. He won't hesitate to put his neck on the line for the team.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Reclamation Project
#BeatLA

vCash: 592
Love his heart and energy.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Winger23

To be honest Clifford didn't initiate the fight. He was asked to dropped the gloves after he nailed a Boston player into the boards along the bench. While it was good to see, he wasn't standing up for any of the cheap shots...

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:04 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
As I said in the GDT, Clifford is a horrific fighter, but I respect his gall and his energy. He won't hesitate to put his neck on the line for the team.
Not sure about a horrific fighter. He handled many legit enforcers his rookie season. That is until he got his bell rung. Since then, he hasnt fought nearly as much. Concussion issues?

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:53 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
I think this goes a little to the extreme. Yes his fighting skills are not what they once was but imo he did win that fight last night and people with "horrific" fighting skill don't win fights. As for Clifford i think he had a good night against boston again under 10 mins played but the Clifford haters will not think so. #underrated

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It's not his fighting that's horrific, it's his defense, or lack thereof, when he's fighting. He leaves himself open and I worry he's a punch away from ending up like Deadmarsh. Kids already taken too many blows to the head. But give him his due, he's fearless and I like that he laid a big hit on Krejci which led to this fight. He's a gamer. Maybe a future Kelly Buchberger in the making?

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:51 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's not his fighting that's horrific, it's his defense, or lack thereof, when he's fighting. He leaves himself open and I worry he's a punch away from ending up like Deadmarsh. Kids already taken too many blows to the head. But give him his due, he's fearless and I like that he laid a big hit on Krejci which led to this fight. He's a gamer. Maybe a future Kelly Buchberger in the making?
Are you implying hes going to be a human punching bag?

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Haha, not at all, though that is the first thought that pops up when thinking of Buchy. I was making the comparison to imply that he'll be a hard checking heart and soul player who sticks up for teammates and will drop the gloves to change momentum.

He can make some plays too which is valuable to have on your bottom lines. He just has to be more consistent and stop taking stupid penalties.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Whiskeypete

Clifford he hit Krecji in front of the LA bench with a good check. McQuaid came over to him and a few seconds later they tangled. most of it was a wrestling match. Kyle got one good shot in, but neither guy dominated it. Cliffy's after he popped him, wrapped him up and took him down to the ice. he answered to his hit, got in a good punch and ended the fight promptly.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:21 PM
apadilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
Clifford he hit Krecji in front of the LA bench with a good check. McQuaid came over to him and a few seconds later they tangled. most of it was a wrestling match. Kyle got one good shot in, but neither guy dominated it. Cliffy's after he popped him, wrapped him up and took him down to the ice. he answered to his hit, got in a good punch and ended the fight promptly.
good breakdown, and maybe Cliffy's best outing since Reeves,

and did you guys read Reeves signed for 5 M over 4 years, good deal for St. Louis,

apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:36 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Haha, not at all, though that is the first thought that pops up when thinking of Buchy. I was making the comparison to imply that he'll be a hard checking heart and soul player who sticks up for teammates and will drop the gloves to change momentum.

He can make some plays too which is valuable to have on your bottom lines. He just has to be more consistent and stop taking stupid penalties.
Ziggy I first would like to say thank you for the fair excessment of Clifford. It was a nice surprize to read someone who is seeing the good in him. This board tends to use clifford as a whipping boy and im happy to read someone that see the good in him. I think with more then 10 mins he would grow out of the stupid penalties. I think hes trying to hard to make a good impression in limited mins. I think he would become a smarter player with more mins. He does however look good to me playing the pk something he didnt earlier in his carrer.

Old
01-11-2014, 04:32 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Its funny, a lot of people here want to trade clifford for a bag of pucks. Guys like him are few and far between.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 04:38 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShot View Post
Its funny, a lot of people here want to trade clifford for a bag of pucks. Guys like him are few and far between.
Only reason i want him to get traded is so he will get the min he needs to take that next step everyone says he should have by now. I will stand by my opinion that he needs more mins to develope into that player we all want him to be. *cue the haters to come and knock him

Old
01-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Not sure about a horrific fighter. He handled many legit enforcers his rookie season. That is until he got his bell rung. Since then, he hasnt fought nearly as much. Concussion issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I think this goes a little to the extreme. Yes his fighting skills are not what they once was but imo he did win that fight last night and people with "horrific" fighting skill don't win fights. As for Clifford i think he had a good night against boston again under 10 mins played but the Clifford haters will not think so. #underrated
His fighting skills were never good. He said when he first joined the Kings that he doesn't worry about protecting himself and just goes all out with throwing punches, and naturally he has collected a couple of concussions and many unneeded injuries from it. He's never been a good fighter, he has a lot of heart and will go up against anyone and throw them, but those that know how to fight will always clean his clock.

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm implying.

Quote:
Pretty much my exact thoughts. He doesn't know how to fight, only to throw and a willingness to throw with anyone. Because of this, he is a fool and this horrific combination will result in many injuries and a degraded career. I admire the hell out of his courage, but he just isn't smart and I've winced every single time he's gotten into a fight since his rookie season when he got his face punched in and told the world that he doesn't bother to protect himself in fights.

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:24 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
I admire the hell out of his courage, but he just isn't smart and I've winced every single time he's gotten into a fight since his rookie season when he got his face punched in and told the world that he doesn't bother to protect himself in fights.
I think that comment was more a young mans bravado than anything. In the last fight against McQuaid (who would be a good addition to this team) he avoided the worst of Mcquaids blows while throwing his own, then wrestled him down when it looked like the fight could turn. He's a decent fighter his defence is average but he has dropped some pretty decent fighters. If he could focus on driving the net and heavy hits he would be worth more to the team.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:46 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Only reason i want him to get traded is so he will get the min he needs to take that next step everyone says he should have by now. I will stand by my opinion that he needs more mins to develope into that player we all want him to be. *cue the haters to come and knock him
Altruist!

Old
01-11-2014, 06:19 PM
KingCanadain1976

Not sure what your talking about shot to be honest

Old
01-11-2014, 06:42 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Not sure what your talking about shot to be honest
Altruism: 1 : unselfish for or devotion to the welfare of others.

Your desire to see clifford prosper above all else is a great form of altruism.

Old
01-11-2014, 07:19 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShot View Post
Altruism: 1 : unselfish for or devotion to the welfare of others.

Your desire to see clifford prosper above all else is a great form of altruism.
Thank you very much for the compliment. I really want all the players in our system who don't fit into the kings long term plan traded for the opportunity they derserve ( see kozan campbell boderchuk etc)

Old
01-11-2014, 11:22 PM
KingsHockey24

I always get worried when Cliffy drops the gloves now. .

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:19 PM
KopitarstheKing
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadilla View Post
good breakdown, and maybe Cliffy's best outing since Reeves,

and did you guys read Reeves signed for 5 M over 4 years, good deal for St. Louis,
http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Gam...82#Fight388782

KopitarstheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 01:05 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOPITARSTHEKING View Post
I remember that very short fight, Clifford just skated away to the penalty box after he KO'd Polak lol.

01-13-2014, 02:09 PM
sinister6000

With his concussion issues i think Clifford doesn't want to be the next Brett Lindros. So its smart that he won't fight as much as he did as a rookie. He needs to stay away from fighting heavyweights, and work on goal scoring. He has a good fore checking game, and can play a grinding role on the third line. I wouldn't trade him yet, they should wait until Andreoff plays a full season with the kings first.

sinister6000 is offline   Reply With Quote