HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs first round pick

Old
01-11-2014, 12:57 PM
21JVR*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
you clearly aren't a leaf fan or haven't been one long enough to understand our frustration.
I just came here to say the same thing.

21JVR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:59 PM
AuraSphere

Leafs 1st round will not be in play, we're def finishing bottom 6 and drafting one of dal colle/nylander

AuraSphere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Stephen

Considering that the Leafs have been bent over the barrel with trading firsts while they have a garbage team on many occasions, I don't think there's anything Vancouver could give us that would make that deal happen.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Considering that the Leafs have been bent over the barrel with trading firsts while they have a garbage team on many occasions, I don't think there's anything Vancouver could give us that would make that deal happen.
Nobody is getting our first round pick.

I also advocate to keeping Carlyle. We don't even have to tank with him as coach, the players have been playing his terrible system for 45 games perfectly.

The way we're headed, only Edmonton, Islanders and the Sabres will be behind us.

Top 4 pick with a chance at the lottery is pretty big.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:19 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
you clearly aren't a leaf fan or haven't been one long enough to understand our frustration.
I've been a Leaf fan all my life...not sure how that's relevant. I want to see this team win, not narrowly miss the playoffs, perpetuate the culture of losing, because we were afraid to improve this team.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Beleafer4

Sure, for Horvat.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:30 PM
21JVR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Sure, for Horvat.
Lol. I know you're kidding.

If not.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21JVR View Post
Lol. I know you're kidding.

If not.
LOL why is a leafs fan angry with that proposal?

Old
01-11-2014, 01:37 PM
21JVR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
LOL why is a leafs fan angry with that proposal?
Do you think Horvat is worth giving up on Draisaitl, Nylander, Bennett? Not even close.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Do you think Horvat is worth giving up on Draisaitl, Nylander, Bennett? Not even close.
Those guys will go top 5. I see us 8-12. Leafs always have a late season push when we are out of the playoff picture.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:39 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know the Leafs are struggling, but with your core of players do you really think you will sink that low?

I doubt it.

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:41 PM
21JVR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Baer View Post
I know the Leafs are struggling, but with your core of players do you really think you will sink that low?

I doubt it.
Me too but hey, we have assets to move up in the draft to take something good even if that pick ended up in 8-12.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
What about...

Franson + 1st for Tanev + 1st?
No, because Franson would be unlikely to make the Canucks defense roster. The Canucks are a defense first team. We are very strong in goal with Luongo and Lack. We do not have a legitimate NHL skill level #1 D, but we have 6 defensemen that are #2 or #3 NHL skill level defensemen (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Tanev, Stanton & Garrison) and 3 more back up defensemen (Corrado, Weber & Alberts) that are at least solid 3rd pairing defensemen who can be called up if needed. Franson would fit in at the tail end of those 3 backups.

Our core of forwards are mainly two way and are expected play defensive roles as much as offensive rolls. The Canucks greatest need is a highly offensive goal scoring forward similar to Kessel on the Leafs (where is Bure when we really need him now?).

The Leafs can't afford to trade Kessel and Kadri or JVR are not players of Kessel's level and not what the Canucks really need. The Canucks already have players similar to what Kadri or JVR would bring and its not enough. Plus the Leafs need to retain JVR and Kadri anyway. Lupul might be enough, but I'm looking for better. Much rather have a player like Kane than Lupul. The Canucks cannot afford to trade the Sedins or Kesler. Horvat may eventually reach that level of play but not for years and maybe never. Still for now the Canucks need to retain Horvat and Shinkaruk.

If the Canucks can get the Leafs first round pick, or any other team's, I can see them immediately packaging that first round pick, together with the Canucks first round pick and a player like Hansen or Jensen and trading for a goal scoring forward at the Kessel/Sedin/Kesler skill level to upgrade the team's first or second line.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:58 PM
21JVR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
No, because Franson would be unlikely to make the Canucks defense roster. The Canucks are a defense first team. We are very strong in goal with Luongo and Lack. We do not have a legitimate NHL skill level #1 D, but we have 6 defensemen that are #2 or #3 NHL skill level defensemen (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Tanev, Stanton & Garrison) and 3 more back up defensemen (Corrado, Weber & Alberts) that are at least solid 3rd pairing defensemen who can be called up if needed. Franson would fit in at the tail end of those 3 backups.

Our core of forwards are mainly two way and are expected play defensive roles as much as offensive rolls. The Canucks greatest need is a highly offensive goal scoring forward similar to Kessel on the Leafs (where is Bure when we really need him now?).

The Leafs can't afford to trade Kessel and Kadri or JVR are not players of Kessel's level and not what the Canucks really need. The Canucks already have players similar to what Kadri or JVR would bring and its not enough. Plus the Leafs need to retain JVR and Kadri anyway. Lupul might be enough, but I'm looking for better. Much rather have a player like Kane than Lupul. The Canucks cannot afford to trade the Sedins or Kesler. Horvat may eventually reach that level of play but not for years and maybe never. Still for now the Canucks need to retain Horvat and Shinkaruk.

If the Canucks can get the Leafs first round pick, or any other team's, I can see them immediately packaging that first round pick, together with the Canucks first round pick and a player like Hansen or Jensen and trading for a goal scoring forward at the Kessel/Sedin/Kesler skill level to upgrade the team's first or second line.
I can't say anything about Kadri yet, but JVR deserves more than what Canucks fans think of his value. Many fans of different teams have acknowledged JVR and he deserves it.

You are absolutely wrong if you think that JVR won't improve your team that much. JVR instantly gives Canucks 1a 1b lines and his presence around the blue paint is exceptional. I don't think there are many others who can put the puck in the net as quickly as he does. He is an exceptional talent and we don't want part with him unless it gives us #1 center.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Meh, Adam Larsson straight up?

EDIt: or, Kadri, 1st, for Larsson, Henrique

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Bluejaysfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Why not?

Leafs sit at 10th overall right now. We're within 2 points of being 16 overall. If Tanev can make the impact on our roster that he should be able to, we could be talking about a negligible difference.
Leafs are also 6 points back of the 6th overall pick. Based on the way they are playing, we should have that pick in no time.

Bluejaysfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:05 PM
TorontoTrades

don't think there is any chance Leafs deal their pick before knowing the position of the pick... unless they are getting a very big asset.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
I can't say anything about Kadri yet, but JVR deserves more than what Canucks fans think of his value. Many fans of different teams have acknowledged JVR and he deserves it.

You are absolutely wrong if you think that JVR won't improve your team that much. JVR instantly gives Canucks 1a 1b lines and his presence around the blue paint is exceptional. I don't think there are many others who can put the puck in the net as quickly as he does. He is an exceptional talent and we don't want part with him unless it gives us #1 center.
I never said JVR isn't a good player and wouldn't be good on the Canucks. What I was indicating is that he wouldn't bring the skills enough to what we are looking for and that his roll on the Leafs is similar to Kassian on the Canucks. Right now I would consider JVR the better of the two, but much of that is due to experience and Kassian is improving very rapidly now that he is being coached by Torts. The Canucks, to make up a complete team, need a player more like Lupul / Lane / Staford / Kessel / Johansen than JVR who's role is that of a power forward rather than that of a sniper.

And as I say, the Leafs need to keep JVR. Trading him for a top 4 D may fill your hole at D, but creates a new hole in your top 6. The team doesn't improve or benefit. If the Canucks traded one of their top 4 D's for a power forward of which they already have two, one of which they would like to trade, they don't benefit either. I wouldn't suggest trading JVR for a #1 C either. You need both.

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 01-11-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote