HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: The Long and Boring Wait

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
That and he played for tsun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
He was like at tsun as well.
what is 'tsun' - Michigan?

that would be what connects Brady to Jim 'the whirling dervish' Harbaugh. well that and the Bay Area connection. Brady played at Serra (a rival of my alma mater) and Harbough played for Paly.

edit: the school up north. ok. sure. i've never seen it abbreviated.

edit II: apparently people from Mississippi State also employ the 'tsun' acronym to refer to Ole Miss.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.co...chool-up-north

anytime you're doing something they do in Mississippi, i guess you're on the right track...

Last edited by Crafton: 01-13-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 05:46 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I've been rooting for the Seahawks since the Steelers were eliminated.

Also, Toronto FC might actually be worth watching this season.
As a Montreal Impact season-ticket holder, I am pissed off right now. TFC just got better and our stupid management didn't do squat. We are the ONLY TEAM in MLS not to have added a player so far.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:49 PM
djt153

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
As a Montreal Impact season-ticket holder, I am pissed off right now. TFC just got better and our stupid management didn't do squat. We are the ONLY TEAM in MLS not to have added a player so far.
tell your club's management to quit ruining andrew wenger's development!

Old
01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Winger for Hire
Cleared Waviers

Quote:
I wish I had a local MLS team to root for

It's been hard to get into the Riverhounds. Maybe the new development deal with Houston will help some.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:59 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt153 View Post
tell your club's management to quit ruining andrew wenger's development!
I really like Wenger, but he isn't a pure striker and we should stop using him as such, that's for sure. He is a perfect second striker though. He can win long balls, he is great one on one, he is a good passer and he is pretty tough. He can do everything but finish. Since we play a one striker formation, he hasn't much use in Montreal, unfortunately. 4-4-2 is a ****** formation and even if we have a lot of Italians I don't think they'll try a 3-men defense (even if it could be the best thing we could do, IMO).

Old
01-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
I'm still deciding on a team to follow in the MLS. Toronto is on my list. This is of cours sans: MLS Pittsburgh. Which wouldn't happen for a while.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:06 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
I'm still deciding on a team to follow in the MLS. Toronto is on my list. This is of cours sans: MLS Pittsburgh. Which wouldn't happen for a while.
Toronto has been terrible forever, don't get fooled by their big signings. Leweike seems to be a great executive though and he might turn their ship around. I hate them, but it will be good for Canadian soccer if they can be a top club. So, hopefully they can be good... not better than the IMpact, but, meh, all three Canadian clubs have to be good and to produce good player via their academies if we want to qualify for the WC before I'm 80 haha.

What other teams are on your list? (Don't root for us unless you love nepotism and incompetence at the top )

Old
01-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that everybody loves Peyton Manning? I can't imagine disliking Peyton Manning. He's such a goober, I love it.
I'm indifferent to the guy, but it's rare that a guy with that kind of career can still be listed as indifferent. The goober aspect plays in his favor, helping to sway things in his favor. Honestly a large part of my negative feelings towards him come from video games...I hate playing Madden games against Manning teams, they always take twice as long to play because of all of the audibles

One thing is for sure - he's a hell of a lot more likeable than his little brother. I'm indifferent to the Giants (thanks in general to being the lesser of all evils on the NFC East), but Eli is really hard to root for.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Toronto has been terrible forever, don't get fooled by their big signings. Leweike seems to be a great executive though and he might turn their ship around. I hate them, but it will be good for Canadian soccer if they can be a top club. So, hopefully they can be good... not better than the IMpact, but, meh, all three Canadian clubs have to be good and to produce good player via their academies if we want to qualify for the WC before I'm 80 haha.

What other teams are on your list? (Don't root for us unless you love nepotism and incompetence at the top )
Well, at the moment I've ruled it down to the Eastern Conference as I would like to watch games and this would be a lot harder with a Western Conference team. It'd be less likely to clash with Pittsburgh in the East as well for the few months they interchange.

At the moment on my list at the moment is Toronto and Orlando for when they come in next year. At the moment I'm likely to choose Toronto but there is still time to challenge that. I've ruled out supporting Philadelphia Union, Sporting Kansas, Houston Dynamo and the New England Revolution though.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

LA Galaxy, *****es.

Portland & Seattle have the best fan bases in the MLS, so they're easy to root for as well. As is standard with all sports, I basically hate the entire country east of the Rockies aside from Pittsburgh, so a league without a Pittsburgh team makes picking an eastern team rough for me. Kansas City is basically the lesser of all evils and I was actually pulling for them to win the MLS Cup this year. I really can't ****ing stand Real Salt Lake. I'm indifferent to Toronto and Montreal...I'd like Toronto more if they weren't owned by MLSE, but at the same time I love Tim Leiweke...

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-13-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

If the time difference was better I probably would pick a Western Conference team. Likely Vancouver as I've been there and I followed them for a while after doing well with them on Football Manager 2013 (I brought over Yaya Sanogo on a free in the second season and then sold him for a bomb - after he scored something like 30 goals in 20 games). I am aware that Toronto have sucked for a while but that is the kind of fan I am. I often seem to choose the teams that aren't as good and have problems that need fixing than the good ones.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

I love playing as MLS teams in those games, just because it's so easy to dominate the league with one great player. In my FM 2014 franchise I swapped Philadelphia out for the Riverhounds and gave them a wonderkid on a long contract...top 3 finishes for 4 years before they sold him to PSG.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I wish the Riverhounds would get into the MLS but I think it is fair to say they're a fair way off. FM14 hasn't quite got the MLS just right but it is fun to play.

Old
01-13-2014, 07:06 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
what is 'tsun' - Michigan?

that would be what connects Brady to Jim 'the whirling dervish' Harbaugh. well that and the Bay Area connection. Brady played at Serra (a rival of my alma mater) and Harbough played for Paly.

edit: the school up north. ok. sure. i've never seen it abbreviated.

edit II: apparently people from Mississippi State also employ the 'tsun' acronym to refer to Ole Miss.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.co...chool-up-north

anytime you're doing something they do in Mississippi, i guess you're on the right track...
I'm sure Woody Hayes starting say "That school up North" before Mississippi since the word North doesn't sit with them very well in the South. . They've only been saying it for a couple years (Miss) anyways. lol.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Winger for Hire
Cleared Waviers

Quote:
I wish the Riverhounds would get into the MLS but I think it is fair to say they're a fair way off. FM14 hasn't quite got the MLS just right but it is fun to play.
I've heard rumors that Highmark Stadium has plans to expand out to around 18,000 seats if they ever get approved for the MLS, but I don't see how that's really possible with the geography of the surrounding area. I've also heard that the plan for the team is to join the MLS within 10 years (from 2013).

I believe Don Garber said that he sees the league larger than 20 teams, but 30 is too many. NYCFC and Orlando come in at 20 and 21. I'd would imagine 26 would be MLS' magic number, which leaves 5 teams. I really believe they're gonna try Miami again. I would think St Louis and somewhere in NC like Raleigh, to me seem to be other really good bets (somewhere in NC more than St Louis). That would leave 2 spots to fight over between Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Rochester, NY Cosmos, Ottawa, Atlanta, Edmonton, Richmond, etc.

I think the best bet for Pittsburgh to gain an MLS team would be for American Soccer to adopt a promotion/relegation system, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I can keep hoping though.

Old
01-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

The MLS will be at 24 by the end of the decade, and Pittsburgh has no hope of being in that group. Pittsburgh's best bet is if they decide to expand to 26 in the mid-20s and then we'd be on a laundry list of cities likely highlighted by St. Louis, which is such an obvious place for a team that hasn't happened because of incompetence at the organizational level...similar to why Seattle didn't get a NHL team in the early 90s.

NYFC (20) & Orlando (21) are confirmed and Atlanta (22) & Miami (23) are assumed, that puts the 24th as a dogfight between Minnesota, San Antonio, and Austin.

Honestly I think Pittsburgh has a chance to get a 26th team, but not before then. Cleveland won't happen, ballot measures have already failed there. Detroit is possible, but isn't in the best condition and MLS has already said it would need to be a downtown stadium and they won't listen to plans centered in Pontiac (rightfully so). Vegas won't happen unless someone builds a stadium themselves, which isn't likely...heat concerns are also an issue for a summer-based league. The Cosmos are finished, NYFC took that 2nd New York spot, there's no way in hell New York gets a 3rd team when other cities are still vying for teams. MLS has already stated that they're not looking at North Carolina as an option.

That potentially leaves Minnesota, Austin/San Antonio, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and Sacramento as options for 25 & 26...I don't think both Austin & San Antonio get teams as the MLS is interested in expanding their footprint, St. Louis gets a team if they ever get a competent man in charge, leaving Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and Sacramento fighting for #26. Rochester, Edmonton, Richmond, and that ilk only ever happen if a relegation system is installed. Ottawa requires Toronto and Montreal having success. I don't think the MLS is really that interested in a 4th Canadian team, nor do I think they're as interested in a 3rd Texas team as they probably should be. I think a team in Austin would be absurdly successful.

As it stands the MLS is more interested in expanding their footprint than anything. Orlando/Miami/Atlanta is to essentially 'fix' the fact that the league has no presence in the southeast right now...frankly I think Orlando is the only decent option amongst them, but Atlanta should be able to carve a similar niche as the other eastern teams have. Miami will be an abject failure...again. They'll supplant Chivas USA as the biggest joke in the league. What the MLS will be looking for when they expand past 24 is anyone's guess...and where the Riverhounds will be sitting financially when that happens is anyone's guess. The team finally has a real home, now it's up to Pittsburghers to see if they'll accept the team or it'll remain nothing more than a curiosity followed by a handful of die-hards. Getting away from dancing from high school to high school is an obvious huge step that was necessary for the team's continued existence, even at the low level they play at as it is. The Riverhounds had some great support early on in their existence, I think it is possible that they push their hand...but in the politics of expansion who knows, it's a moving target. Miami isn't a thing without Beckham.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-13-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Winger for Hire
Cleared Waviers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The MLS will be at 24 by the end of the decade, and Pittsburgh has no hope of being in that group. Pittsburgh's best bet is if they decide to expand to 26 in the mid-20s and then we'd be on a laundry list of cities likely highlighted by St. Louis, which is such an obvious place for a team that hasn't happened because of incompetence at the organizational level...similar to why Seattle didn't get a NHL team in the early 90s.

NYFC (20) & Orlando (21) are confirmed and Atlanta (22) & Miami (23) are assumed, that puts the 24th as a dogfight between Minnesota, San Antonio, and Austin.

Honestly I think Pittsburgh has a chance to get a 26th team, but not before then. Cleveland won't happen, ballot measures have already failed there. Detroit is possible, but isn't in the best condition and MLS has already said it would need to be a downtown stadium and they won't listen to plans centered in Pontiac (rightfully so). Vegas won't happen unless someone builds a stadium themselves, which isn't likely...heat concerns are also an issue for a summer-based league. The Cosmos are finished, NYFC took that 2nd New York spot, there's no way in hell New York gets a 3rd team when other cities are still vying for teams. MLS has already stated that they're not looking at North Carolina as an option.

That potentially leaves Minnesota, Austin/San Antonio, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and Sacramento as options for 25 & 26...I don't think both Austin & San Antonio get teams as the MLS is interested in expanding their footprint, St. Louis gets a team if they ever get a competent man in charge, leaving Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and Sacramento fighting for #26. Rochester, Edmonton, Richmond, and that ilk only ever happen if a relegation system is installed. Ottawa requires Toronto and Montreal having success. I don't think the MLS is really that interested in a 4th Canadian team, nor do I think they're as interested in a 3rd Texas team as they probably should be. I think a team in Austin would be absurdly successful.

As it stands the MLS is more interested in expanding their footprint than anything. Orlando/Miami/Atlanta is to essentially 'fix' the fact that the league has no presence in the southeast right now...frankly I think Orlando is the only decent option amongst them, but Atlanta should be able to carve a similar niche as the other eastern teams have. Miami will be an abject failure...again. They'll supplant Chivas USA as the biggest joke in the league. What the MLS will be looking for when they expand past 24 is anyone's guess...and where the Riverhounds will be sitting financially when that happens is anyone's guess. The team finally has a real home, now it's up to Pittsburghers to see if they'll accept the team or it'll remain nothing more than a curiosity followed by a handful of die-hards. Getting away from dancing from high school to high school is an obvious huge step that was necessary for the team's continued existence, even at the low level they play at as it is. The Riverhounds had some great support early on in their existence, I think it is possible that they push their hand...but in the politics of expansion who knows, it's a moving target. Miami isn't a thing without Beckham.
Obviously someone has done a decent amount of thinking about this.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Ultimately I think the MLS caps at 28, but when they do that is unknown. Relegation is something that really has to be in there from the start to be viable...I'd be in favor of it for the MLS, but I don't think they'll ever be able to sell it to owners that built and own their stadiums specifically for the MLS. The extreme majority of these soccer-specific stadiums were paid for and owned by the team's owners...the MLS isn't terribly profitable as it is, dropping down a level would kill any income possibility and would inevitably face severe opposition by teams owning their stadiums...but the even bigger opposition will come from those SSPs that aren't completely owned by their teams. San Jose isn't building this stadium of theirs just to be plopped into USL Pro because of one bad season. It's not as easy to sell paying for that stadium when you're not guaranteed to be playing in the MLS. This may be an even bigger issue for teams that share their stadiums, due to contractual reasons and the financial ramifications involved.

In general it's just hard to impose at this stage...once Columbus Crew Stadium was built MLS's window to install relegation officially closed...and installing relegation at that stage of this league's existence would have killed it...they were just recently removed from contracting two teams and were sitting at 10 teams.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-13-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Winger for Hire
Cleared Waviers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Ultimately I think the MLS caps at 28, but when they do that is unknown. Relegation is something that really has to be in there from the start to be viable...I'd be in favor of it for the MLS, but I don't think they'll ever be able to sell it to owners that built and own their stadiums specifically for the MLS. The extreme majority of these soccer-specific stadiums were paid for and owned by the team's owners...the MLS isn't terribly profitable as it is, dropping down a level would kill any income possibility and would inevitably face severe opposition by teams owning their stadiums...but the even bigger opposition will come from those SSPs that aren't completely owned by their teams. San Jose isn't building this stadium of theirs just to be plopped into USL Pro because of one bad season. It's not as easy to sell paying for that stadium when you're not guaranteed to be playing in the MLS. This may be an even bigger issue for teams that share their stadiums, due to contractual reasons and the financial ramifications involved.

In general it's just hard to impose at this stage...once Columbus Crew Stadium was built MLS's window to install relegation officially closed...and installing relegation at that stage of this league's existence would have killed it...they were just recently removed from contracting two teams and were sitting at 10 teams.
Agreed. I do believe I read somewhere that the single entity structure of the league is also a giant hurdle when it comes to relegation.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

The whole single-entity thing is so weird as it is, and I don't think it'll be around for much longer as the individual owners begin to become higher and higher profile...this no longer is just Philip Anschutz's project of passion.

That said, it was surreal seeing that 2012 MLS Cup where the AEG-owned LA Galaxy beat the AEG-owned Houston Dynamos for the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Winger for Hire
Cleared Waviers

I'm tempted buy some Riverhounds season tickets now. I wonder if the wife will go with me.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

If I still lived there I definitely would, at least for partial season.

I got partial season tickets for the Galaxy this upcoming season...only reason I didn't go full is because that stadium is a complete and utter ***** to get to...then again in this city the grocery store half a mile down the street from me is a ***** to get to.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Seem to recall that Riverhounds games are often streamed on USLPro.com so if you can't go you can watch on there. I've been to the stadium to look whilst waiting for a river cruise and there is very little probability of getting 18,000 in there what with the infrastructure around it.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Winger for Hire
Cleared Waviers

Quote:
Seem to recall that Riverhounds games are often streamed on USLPro.com so if you can't go you can watch on there. I've been to the stadium to look whilst waiting for a river cruise and there is very little probability of getting 18,000 in there what with the infrastructure around it.
I agree that at first glance 18,000 in the location they built the stadium at seems outlandish. When I heard that they wanted to be able to expand to that number I laughed and thought it was a pipe dream. But if you take a creative approach to it, I can see some ways to get there.

The main bleachers are up against West Carson St and Mt Washington and can easily extend the grandstand there over W Carson and built into the slope of Mt Washington. The corners aren't utilized at all, so there's some more seats. The supporter's section on the east side of the stadium has a lot of room to expand upwards. The west side with the luxury boxes (which are quite nice, was able to watch the Riverhounds play Wigan in one of them last year) can add seats from the field sloping up to the boxes and then add a grandstand on top of the boxes.

Granted, I'm not an engineer (though I work with enough that I think I learned some of their trade) so I have no idea how feasible these options are. It would also think that the stadium would look awesome, expanded out in those ways, from the river but might feel cramped from the land. Parking could also be a small issue, but a 4-5 level parking garage near the Duquesne Incline could solve a good bit of that without taking all of Station Square's parking. And maybe I'm thinking crazy now, but maybe some kind of floating parking lot on the river (I have no idea if that's possible, just thinking outside the box). Traffic getting in and out would not be smooth, but not terrible.

I'm sure in a couple year we'll see what they're going to do. They are pouring good money into making the team pretty good and seem serious about making a legit MLS bid in the future. I just hope the fan support is there and the MLS sees potential, as I think they have the management team and capital to make it happen.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Please don't cheer for TFC

Closed Thread