HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tallon given green light to spend to ceiling cap

Old
01-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Effe

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
expect either Frederik Andersen or Viktor Fasth to be dealt by Ducks.
My guess is that they will keep andersen and resign him and try to trade Fasth for a trade pick like Cannucks did with Schneider.

Andersen I would love to see Andersen here but they would be stupid if they didnt resigned him, he is way better then Fasth. Watched Andersen some when he played in Frölunda here in sweden and he was just insane, I would say the best season by a goalie in frölunda, even better then Hanks best season here. He singel handed got a awful Frölunda into the playoff, Hank got a really good Frölunda infront of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats31 View Post
I wouldn't mind Anderson, Bishop or Schneider.
I'm pretty sure all three of them will resign.
Bishop and Schneider will for sure, and cant see why Sens wouldnt try to resign Anderson.

Effe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 05:54 PM
radkison

vCash: 500
re

I'd go streaking if Tallon signed Callahan

radkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effe View Post
My guess is that they will keep andersen and resign him and try to trade Fasth for a trade pick like Cannucks did with Schneider.

Andersen I would love to see Andersen here but they would be stupid if they didnt resigned him, he is way better then Fasth. Watched Andersen some when he played in Frölunda here in sweden and he was just insane, I would say the best season by a goalie in frölunda, even better then Hanks best season here. He singel handed got a awful Frölunda into the playoff, Hank got a really good Frölunda infront of him.

I'm pretty sure all three of them will resign.
Bishop and Schneider will for sure, and cant see why Sens wouldnt try to resign Anderson.
I dunno, didn't he win the Honken in 2003 and in 2004 as well as 2005?

Hank = Best goalie I've ever seen, and I've seen em all!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Effe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
I dunno, didn't he win the Honken in 2003 and in 2004 as well as 2005?

Hank = Best goalie I've ever seen, and I've seen em all!
I dont think Andersen ever will be as good as Hank, but that season he had here in Frölunda was just insane, it was an awful Frölunda team that couldnt score but still made it to the playoff, but then Hank had 3 seasons like that here and is by all rights a legend here. but Hank also got the best Frölunda team ever in front of him. They even dumped Alexander Steen (played on 4th line) or more he left since he couldnt get enought ice time.
But Andersen is a goalie i would love to have here, he got the talent to be a elite goalie, but i think Ducks wants to keep him, but if he hits the market i would love to sign him. Or if we could get him with a trade.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Effe

Looks like Marleau and Thornton (to no suprise) is of the market

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 4 min
Marleau's 3-year deal is worth $6.66 M a year AAV; Thornton's deal is $6.75 M a year AAV.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 5 min
Breaking news: San Jose Sharks have signed Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton to 3-year extensions.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:48 PM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effe View Post
Looks like Marleau and Thornton (to no suprise) is of the market

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 4 min
Marleau's 3-year deal is worth $6.66 M a year AAV; Thornton's deal is $6.75 M a year AAV.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 5 min
Breaking news: San Jose Sharks have signed Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton to 3-year extensions.
Wow pretty big hometown discount. They left well over a mill a year each on the table.

cats31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 03:25 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats31 View Post
Wow pretty big hometown discount. They left well over a mill a year each on the table.
Not huge discount, still bank and some long term security to stay put.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 11:05 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

Not a surprise for San Jose. Those guys will rest easy now going into the playoffs. They now know they have a permanent home still. But that could be huge for them.

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 01:10 AM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Not huge discount, still bank and some long term security to stay put.
They both could have gotten $8 mill+ on the FA market. If Vanek is going to get in the $7-8mill range Marleau and Thornton are worth more. But like you said they can stay put, finish their careers in a city they seemingly like and play for a winner. Good deal for everyone involved.

Old
01-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

While listening to the game on the radio last night, Randy interviewed one of our owners(Doug S) and the question that was asked was about the on ice product and Doug said "yeah, we told Dale to open up the purses and spend to the cap". Not news since its the title of the thread but it felt good to actually hear with my own ears. Felt somewhat comforting that finally Dale can move ahead with his plan and really make us contenders next season if the right deals are there!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Eggblag
#1 Fanthers Pan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
While listening to the game on the radio last night, Randy interviewed one of our owners(Doug S) and the question that was asked was about the on ice product and Doug said "yeah, we told Dale to open up the purses and spend to the cap". Not news since its the title of the thread but it felt good to actually hear with my own ears. Felt somewhat comforting that finally Dale can move ahead with his plan and really make us contenders next season if the right deals are there!
I'm sure deals can be made. The Panthers can offer a team another shot at McDavid with their pick next season. That has to carry some weight.

Eggblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 05:39 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
We keep hearing this over and over now, so it has to be true, no? There should be serious backlash if they go back on their word this offseason.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
We keep hearing this over and over now, so it has to be true, no? There should be serious backlash if they go back on their word this offseason.
In the same sense I don't want to see them make average deals to get to the cap just because they told us they were going to spend to the cap.

I hope Dale keeps making good to great deals, even if it just means spending $5million this offseason. We have a great young core, I would hate to see that disrupted in the future by making lousy deals this offseason.

Old
01-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I'm gonna bet you money that they still wont go up to the cap though. Because there really isnt a lot of guys this summer that would be worth signing and/or the ones that could be worth it, probably wont want to sign here no matter the money. And I'm sure Tallon will come out afterwards saying something to the effect of, "well even though we were given plenty of money to spend, I didnt see the need to spend that much money right now but expect our team to be improved from last season"

For instance, sure we could want to sign a guy like Ryan Callahan and have plenty of money to spend but he's probably gonna get re-signed by the Rangers so he wont be available anyway. Same thing happened with 2 of the bigger potential free agents with Marleau & Thornton getting re-signed last week. Vanek seems only interested in re-signing with the Isles or signing with Minnesota. So the top free agent that we could probably sign is Gaborik and he's been injury-prone throughout his career that you'll always need to have a guy who can step into his spot when he's injured. Thus, he really probably wont be worth the money we could give him.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 02:48 PM
ShootIt

Gaborik would look good wearing #10.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Gaborik would look good wearing #10.
Even he may not be available because of his injury situation based on this recent article & info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik update
Right wing Marian Gaborik has begun skating and doing light stickhandling in his return from a broken collarbone. He wants to play in the Olympics, but it’s unclear if he will be cleared by the Blue Jackets’ medical staff to play for Slovakia.

It is not the only thing unclear about Gaborik, 31, who can become an unrestricted free agent after the season. The Blue Jackets have not had contract talks with him, and he could be traded by the deadline on March 5. But here’s a possibility if he stays: Should Gaborik remain on injured reserve through the Olympic break, he will exceed 100 days. NHL veterans who have played 400 or more games (Gaborik is at 787) and spend 100 days or more on injured reserve are eligible to sign contracts with bonus structures.

Gaborik, who has a $7.5 million salary-cap hit, could sign for a base value of far less than that — perhaps $2 million or $3 million — and load up his contract with incentives (goals, points, games played, etc.). He might prefer guaranteed money, but after an injury-riddled season in which he has missed 33 of 51 games, a bonus-laden contract would give him a chance to match his current contract.
Source: http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ilitation.html

So if he isnt traded at the deadline, or if he's traded to a team that wants to re-sign him, they may be able to keep him due to that contract situation outlined above.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 04:42 PM
CanadianPantherFan

I'm starting to really believe to go ALL IN on UFA top end goalie or Luongo-buyout/retained salary this summer.

TT has been great, but he's old. Lets get something for him in form of a draft pick. Then this summer go hard after Miller/Hiller/Luongo etc. There are 5-6 teams MAX looking for starting 1A goalie with Panthers having most CAP SPACE out of all teams. I want top line wingers AS MUCH AS ANYONE, but the choices could be slim to none if they keep re-signing with their teams/choose winning-traditional markets over us.

This could be the summer to pair someone up with Markstrom IF he's not being given another season to run with the ball. IF TT is re-signed for another season or two that also shows me they do not believe in Marky that much also....so why not sign a goalie closer to the core's overall age average to win with now plus into the future.

Food for thought...

Old
01-27-2014, 04:57 PM
panthersfan94

Quote:

This could be the summer to pair someone up with Markstrom IF he's not being given another season to run with the ball. IF TT is re-signed for another season or two that also shows me they do not believe in Marky that much also....so why not sign a goalie closer to the core's overall age average to win with now plus into the future.

Food for thought...
How does resigning Thomas for a year or two demonstrate a lack of faith in Marky? It would show much more faith than signing say Ryan Miller to a 5/6 year deal. Signing Thomas for let's say two more years allows Marky to be a backup the first year and split time the second year if he shows improvement.

panthersfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan94 View Post
How does resigning Thomas for a year or two demonstrate a lack of faith in Marky? It would show much more faith than signing say Ryan Miller to a 5/6 year deal. Signing Thomas for let's say two more years allows Marky to be a backup the first year and split time the second year if he shows improvement.
He'd be backup in either case, and glossed over. If he sits in strictly backup role/AHL starter for two more years behind Thomas, or four more years behind Miller-Hiller-Luongo it's the same result for Markstrom. Markie is not going to "feel any better" about the situation if it's TT or someone else in other words.

Go for a splash this summer with money to spend in deep UFA goalie market, save some for following summer when good forwards go to free agency.

Old
01-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Effe

Quote:
He'd be backup in either case, and glossed over. If he sits in strictly backup role/AHL starter for two more years behind Thomas, or four more years behind Miller-Hiller-Luongo it's the same result for Markstrom. Markie is not going to "feel any better" about the situation if it's TT or someone else in other words.

Go for a splash this summer with money to spend in deep UFA goalie market, save some for following summer when good forwards go to free agency.
Next years UFA market is looking way worse then this season, Spezza/Toews/Kane/Green/Krejci/Ryan will all resign, I dont see any elite forwards that will hit the market that season, so we should go all in for Vanek this season.

Old
01-27-2014, 05:35 PM
panthersfan94

Quote:

I think even Marky would understand that going from AHL starter to full time NHL starter is unrealistic. If Thomas were to be resigned, he would be considered a backup for one or two years at most, but if it were Miller/Hiller/Luongo, he would be a backup for 4 or 5 years. If he were to perform well as Thomas's backup then he would be a starter, having earned the job. By signing one of the other three, we will be giving up on him ever being a starter here and will need to look elsewhere for our long term goalie.

Also as stated above this year's forward market is about as good as it is going to get for the near future for UFAs. Our best bet for a top forward if we don't sign Vanek or Moulson this year would be to look at trades imo.

panthersfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Erick

If our biggest free agent splash is Ryan Miller, did we really improve the team that much (or at all)?

I'd much rather sign Thomas (or someone in his price range) and hope that Markstrom figures it out long-term.

When was the last time a team spent so much on a goalie long-term and built a consistent winner?

This franchise has built around goalies before and it hasn't worked. Why would it be any different with Ryan Miller? We have other needs.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 03:29 AM
CanadianPantherFan

I don't get some of you though (hating on Markstrom ALL SEASON, but still<<< wanting an older TT-Markstrom combo next season). I'm the biggest Markstrom fan, but realize for this team to go 2-3 rounds in the playoffs in the next year or two Markstrom might not be the answer. I believe this team is close to serious contention with a top 6 winger and top 4Dman signing this off-season. But, with how shallow the UFA forward crop is this season PLUS next season the only viable move to be made might be a UFA. goalie signing followed by mid tier signings at best elsewhere. Just because Moulson, Vanek and Gaborik are free agents does not mean they will sign with the Panthers. I like Moulson, but those three names are far from world beaters/sure bets like Miller, Luongo or possibly Hiller are. I get spending money up front, but it might not be wise to do so this offseason until a Kulikov + 1st round pick is on the table for the likes of Eberle or better.

Old
01-28-2014, 08:37 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

No more mediocrity. Overpay as necessary. Moulson and Vanek and Callahan. Get them all.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 01:15 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
No more mediocrity. Overpay as necessary. Moulson and Vanek and Callahan. Get them all.
moulson is pretty mediocre if you talk about top6 wingers

im still not sold on him, especially not as the price tag some suggests here lol

rather explore trading

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote