HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Tallon given green light to spend to ceiling cap

Old
01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Android 16

vCash: 500
My initial reaction after withstanding those Panther games since last Thursday..

Sign Vanek, Sign Thornton, Sign Marleau, Sign Moulson, Sign proven offensive producers, Sign all of them!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

Android 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:51 PM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonx11 View Post
Wanted Raymond really bad before this season started.
I did too. I wanted him and Morrow. We'd be in a better position with someone like him on the 2nd or 3rd lines this year.

cats31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:56 PM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tibbles View Post
My initial reaction after withstanding those Panther games since last Thursday..

Sign Vanek, Sign Thornton, Sign Marleau, Sign Moulson, Sign proven offensive producers, Sign all of them!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!
In theory that sounds great but it likely wouldn't be done under the cap and even if we could it leave holes still on D and in net.

Wouldn't Jokinen, Setuguchi and Raymond be huge improvements over guys like Kopecky, Boyes, Upshall and even Flash and Bergy?

Old
01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats31 View Post
In theory that sounds great but it likely wouldn't be done under the cap and even if we could it leave holes still on D and in net.

Wouldn't Jokinen, Setuguchi and Raymond be huge improvements over guys like Kopecky, Boyes, Upshall and even Flash and Bergy?
Slight, but not enough to make a big push in the standings IMO. If Tallon were to add one or two of those names, along with a Moulson or Vanek, then Id be happy, but if it were just those three players, Id be disappointed. Anything less than Vanek or Moulson signing here, unless Tallon makes a big trade, would be a failure IMO. I understand those players just might not want to sign here, but I need to at least see a serious effort into signing top tier UFAs.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Aksu
all hail Barky

vCash: 904
Quote:

How about we get Jussi Jokinen, Bergy, and mighty Sasha in the same line for a finnish trio?!

Aksu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:14 PM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksu View Post
How about we get Jussi Jokinen, Bergy, and mighty Sasha in the same line for a finnish trio?!
That's what I'm talking about. Actually would be a pretty solid line especially with Barkov another year improved.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:41 PM
ShootIt
M F P G A

I rather have Moulson or Vrbata

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I rather have Moulson or Vrbata
I definitely want to sign Moulson not so much Vrbata but getting Jokinen or Raymond at say $2.5 mill for 4 years isn't such a bad consolation prize compared to paying Moulson $6 mill for 6 years. In all likelihood we need multiple wingers anyway so why not pick up a 1st line forward like Vanek or Moulson and then add 1 or 2 of Jokinen, Setoguchi, or Raymond.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Catsfan7

Am I the only one who thinks Vinnie might (just might) tell Dale to go after an RFA? It'd be pretty interesting tbh. I know that we wouldn't want to do something stupid with our top prospects hitting RFA status over the next couple of years, but one can dream, right?

RFA's I'd be interested in:
Roussel, Antoine
Eakin, Cody
And the obvious ones...
Schenn, Brayden
Subban, P.K.
Varlamov, Semyon

UFA's I'm personally interested in:
Konopka, Zenon
Girardi, Dan (Don't think we'd get him)
Callahan, Ryan (Instantly captain if he comes)
Michalek, Milan (I expect him to be resigned by OTT)
Miller, Ryan
Stastny, Paul (We don't really need him as much as we did a couple months ago, and he'll come overpriced as the best center if Thornton doesn't hit July 1)
Boyle, Dan (for one year, why not?)
Marleau, Patrick (If he hits UFA, this is the guy I want most, I'd hope at 2-3 years, but he's gonna want a retirement contract)
Thornton, Joe (This goes without saying, but I think he'll resign in SJ)
Moulson, Matt

I have no interest in Heatly Vanek and Cammalleri, I don't care for Gaborik, but if we didn't give him something ridiculous I wouldn't mind him at all.

Our guys that I'd like to resign (or at the very least, wouldn't mind (excludes our RFA's))
Timmy (Would prefer Miller though)
Boyes (I think he's a good fit, plus the shootouts)
Goc (Resign or trade)
Bergy

I want to trade
Flash
Kuli
Kopy

Maybe (like others have mentioned) have a package with our 1st to get someone GOOD!

Just my opinion, but we all can agree that we'll believe Vinnie's promises when we see it. I personally don't mind staying relatively low in terms of salary for one more year, I just want to be competitive, then really hit it in 2015.

Catsfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:37 PM
RainingRats

I think we need to move our first round pick and + like New Jersey did with Schnieder but get a top line player. We don't need more draft picks. We need established talent.

Good to hear that they'll spend to the cap but let's be real. There are plenty of teams with money to spend that all want the same guys. We'll be lucky to get one quality top 6 forward and one top 4 dman.

I think we should be able to get a good goalie.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:14 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think we need to move our first round pick and + like New Jersey did with Schnieder but get a top line player. We don't need more draft picks. We need established talent.

Good to hear that they'll spend to the cap but let's be real. There are plenty of teams with money to spend that all want the same guys. We'll be lucky to get one quality top 6 forward and one top 4 dman.

I think we should be able to get a good goalie.
I've been saying this since November. 1st + could net us something real nice.

Either that or trade this year's first for a team's first next year and pray that they come in last!

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Ekblast
Playoffs! Playoffs??

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Just because Tallon can, doesn't mean he should. I don't want bad contracts taking up the money.

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Effe

vCash: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyWeissIsGone View Post
Just because Tallon can, doesn't mean he should. I don't want bad contracts taking up the money.
Yeah I agree. I would prefer that we placed us somewhere around 63 millions in cap this season, that would give us around 35 million to resign players and sign UFA (based on we can trade Flash and one of Kopecky/Upshall). Then in 2015 will we finally get rid of Jovo's contract, we will also get rid of the buyout of Kuba and if we have anyone left in the gang of flash/Upshall/Kopecky we would get rid of them, that should give is 20 million or so (based on a 74 mil cap) and should give us enough money to spend. Better to take it in steps and build it in 2-3 years then rush it and stand there with a 6 million contract on McDonalds (I would love to sign him but then for like 3,5 millions) that we canít get rid of.

Effe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Effe

vCash: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I've been saying this since November. 1st + could net us something real nice.

Either that or trade this year's first for a team's first next year and pray that they come in last!
The Kane rumours has started again (that they want to trade him) and last time the rumour said 1st + top prospect + 2 top six, I would love to try to make a package of 1st (possible top 5 pick) + Kulikov + Flash (for 2,5 millions) + Kopecky (for 2 millions) for Kane + 3 millions retained salary.

Effe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Rather keep the high picks, several think it was a mistake to have traded for Vokoun like we did. We'd need to be getting back a really solid player, IMO.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effe View Post
The Kane rumours has started again (that they want to trade him) and last time the rumour said 1st + top prospect + 2 top six, I would love to try to make a package of 1st (possible top 5 pick) + Kulikov + Flash (for 2,5 millions) + Kopecky (for 2 millions) for Kane + 3 millions retained salary.
There is a huge difference though if the first is a top 5 pick or, let's say 25th overall.

I think something like Kulikov+1st should be enough if it looks like a top five.

Kellyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:11 PM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Rather keep the high picks, several think it was a mistake to have traded for Vokoun like we did. We'd need to be getting back a really solid player, IMO.
Exactly much more times than not a top 5 pick turns into a star/superstar in the league. Keep the high pick then our core group (Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Barkov, Trocheck, Gudbranson, and 2014 draft pick) going forward will always be a 3-4 years apart going forward.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:00 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Exactly much more times than not a top 5 pick turns into a star/superstar in the league. Keep the high pick then our core group (Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Barkov, Trocheck, Gudbranson, and 2014 draft pick) going forward will always be a 3-4 years apart going forward.
Kane is 22 years old, and would be exactly what this team needs as a top line winger. If you can get him, for our 1st, Markstrom+, you make that deal. Trade for Kane, sign Moulson, Girardi, and Miller, and you have yourself a playoff team all of a sudden.

Huberdeau - Bjugstad - Kane
Bergenhein - Barkov - Moulson
Kopecky - Shore - Trocheck
or
Flash - Shore - Boyes
Hayes - Matthias - Winchester

Soupy - Girardi
Gudbranson - Kulikov
Petrovic - Olsen

Miller

Old
01-14-2014, 02:52 AM
gudzilla

i'd rather let moulson play on bjugstad line and kane with barkov for some protection + he's a sniper

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 04:12 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
i'd rather let moulson play on bjugstad line and kane with barkov for some protection + he's a sniper
I had Kane with Huby and Jugs because he brings a bit more grit to that line, moreso than Moulson. And since you have that grit in Bergy already, you have Barky setting up Moulson ala JT in NY. It's a long shot, but having these type of conversations, like where to play Kane and Moulson, would be good ones to have.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:46 AM
RogerBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Except that Jagr can still play hockey. Good comparison, though.
We dont need an old player to play as a star. We need the olders to give the guys some bench and locker room exemples, leadership. Kovalev could do that, but Panthers just tossed him in the trash.

RogerBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 06:52 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBR View Post
We dont need an old player to play as a star. We need the olders to give the guys some bench and locker room exemples, leadership. Kovalev could do that, but Panthers just tossed him in the trash.
When was Kovalev ever an example of leadership? He was useless for us.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:36 AM
FrolikFan67

can moulson and kane play rw? I'm pretty sure they're both lw. id love to put moulson on barkov's lw and reunite bergenheim with goc (i assume we'll extend him for 2yrs or so) back on the 3rd line. a lw depth chart of moulson, huberdeau, bergenheim would be amazing.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBR View Post
We need good hockey players. Jagr is still that. Kovalev was useless here and had been useless for awhile before he was signed to play here.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:57 AM
SeasonTicket

One thing that most on here fail to realize is that most of the players being mentioned have not played on a winner. What do you think would be the main motivator for a player coming into FA that has had little to no taste of winning. Going to a proven winner or money. I think most would want a chance at a cup. Just like most of our players chose to leave for that same reason when they get to FA.

I think it is more realistic that any FA signing that the Panthers can attract unfortunately will be of the been there done that before sort of player. One that is more motivated with the big pay day at the closing end of their careers.

This is the reason DT is so eager to improve our position in the standings. He needs to show players that we are on the right track. What looks better, 30th to 27th or 30th to 18th overall or even stealing that last wildcard spot. Need to show vast improvement to attract the players we want.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote