HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1936 Japanese Olympic Goalie with Mask!!

Old
01-17-2014, 10:38 AM
SealsFan

vCash: 500
1936 Japanese Olympic Goalie with Mask!!

http://nitzyshockeyden.blogspot.ca/2...iji-honma.html

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 10:43 AM
gudzilla

awesome find, but i think that people tried using capture masks earlier? seems pretrty similiar

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 11:56 AM
McGuillicuddy

I believe I've seen that guy in 'Saving Face'

McGuillicuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Killion

.... nice find SF. Great pictures that Id not seen before so thanks. And ya, he was one of the first along with Clint Benedict, though the accreditation for being the very first goes to a female Goalie (McGill University I believe) who used a Fencing Mask several years earlier. Whats also really interesting about that photo is obviously his stance & equipment (note how the pads seem form fitting over the toes of his skated, and from the 3 panel knee up covering his thighs; seriously custom jobbies & the Belly Pad that goes down to cover his crotch) along with the rather interesting jersey.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

I imagine it's chiefly to protect those glasses.

01-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I imagine it's chiefly to protect those glasses.
Quite likely Beefster but still, the guys wrapped up tighter than a California Roll no? Extremely well protected.

Old
01-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Franck
En enda känsla...

vCash: 50
I don't have any photographic proof, but I remember watching some kind of documentary short about the first Swedish national team where it was mentioned that the goalkeeper wore a fencing mask.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Sanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I don't have any photographic proof, but I remember watching some kind of documentary short about the first Swedish national team where it was mentioned that the goalkeeper wore a fencing mask.
That would have been Albin Jansson. I remember reading that he used fencing mask in practices, but don´t know if he used one in game. Also if I remember correct Swedish team in those 1920 Olympics was mostly composed from Bandy players who had never played real hockey game before Olympics. Nils Molander was a "star" in Central Europe rinks though.
------------------------------------------

I have seen that first picture before, but not that second one which is much better. Thanks

Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:37 AM
NorthStar

That 2nd pic of the Japanese goalie.. very interesting... the pads certainly are something to see even today.. I wonder how far back for Japan to have been playing hockey? As long as Canada? or shortly afterways?? Just curious as to the history of Japanese hockey...

NorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Killion

Quote:
Well thats interesting as it pre-dates speculation here in Canada that a lady by the name of Elizabeth Graham playing for Queens University in Kingston Ontario might have been the first in 1927. She too donned a Fencers Mask in a game having recently undergone dental work & wanted to protect herself. But sure, I could see European's adopting the same earlier as Fencing was still relatively popular in the late 18th & early 19th Century over there, and most of the equipment being utilized was from various sports including Cricket & Bandy.

Old
01-18-2014, 01:30 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

That's Kurt Suzuki who catches for the Oakland Athletics with a little photo magic.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Franck
En enda känsla...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanf View Post
That would have been Albin Jansson. I remember reading that he used fencing mask in practices, but don´t know if he used one in game. Also if I remember correct Swedish team in those 1920 Olympics was mostly composed from Bandy players who had never played real hockey game before Olympics. Nils Molander was a "star" in Central Europe rinks though.
The 1920 team did indeed consist entirely of bandy players as hockey did not exist in Sweden at the time.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Killion

Quote:
The 1920 team did indeed consist entirely of bandy players as hockey did not exist in Sweden at the time.
Bandy is still very popular in many parts of Sweden & Northern Europe, including pro-leagues. Ive never seen a game live much less played it but tell ya what? Sure looks like an awful lot of fun. Ice surface the size of a soccer pitch, 10 players aside plus the goalies.... I think I read somewhere that Sweden was or is building an indoor facility for the game, but that outdoor it can draw crowds of 20,000+ and is quite the cultural & social event in many smaller towns & cities, more popular than hockey.