HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Twilight - This Edition of the Canucks is Fading

Old
01-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Doobie Dubois

vCash: 500
This lineup could be very strong when everybody is healthy

Sedin Sedin Dalpe
Burrows Kesler Kassian
Higgins Santorelli Hansen
Booth/Sestito Richardson Weise
Schroeder

Hamhuis Tanev
Edler Garrison
Stanton Bieksa

Doobie Dubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:13 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

This team is fading, at this point our core players aren't going to get better, we should still be a playoff team for the next few season but won't go deep unless luck is really on our side, so we better hope Gillis learns how to draft cause he doesn't know how to make trades but that doesn't really matter when everyone on this team has NTC.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:15 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
This team is fading, at this point our core players aren't going to get better, we should still be a playoff team for the next few season but won't go deep unless luck is really on our side, so we better hope Gillis learns how to draft cause he doesn't know how to make trades but that doesn't really matter when everyone on this team has NTC.
Team will have room to make moves next year. Not sure why the 'sky is falling' for our future yet...

Cap space going up +++, and you can expect another young d-man in our top 6, Stanton at a good rate, Corrado... Maybe one of the young forwards (Gaunce, Horvat for 3rd line C). Team has ability to make some moves (i.e., top 6 player).

Wonder what Kassian's next contract will be? $1.5M bridge?

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:18 PM
LiquidSnake

Team is older and has regressed. Other teams have gotten better.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Trelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
I think failing to replace erhoff has been his biggest error.
That mobile attack from the D was one of the big elements of the dynamism of the O ...esp when the core of your O, the Sedins, is otherwise not particularly swift.
Yes, Ehrhoff + Sedins yields more than would be expected from just summing the three. Dude’s talent is wasted in Buffalo. Not a coincidence that Sedins won their hardware when he was in town. But retaining him over Bieksa was only slightly (after all, Bxa and Hammer were money that year) preferable at the time.

However, I can’t call it an MG error since the guy was determined on becoming FA and it took a crazy (mini Lu) contract to get him. “Error” I reserve for other than rational decision made/not made, with the information available at the time.

Trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:23 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
Yes, Ehrhoff + Sedins yields more than would be expected from just summing the three. Dude’s talent is wasted in Buffalo. Not a coincidence that Sedins won their hardware when he was in town. But retaining him over Bieksa was only slightly (after all, Bxa and Hammer were money that year) preferable at the time.

However, I can’t call it an MG error since the guy was determined on becoming FA and it took a crazy (mini Lu) contract to get him. “Error” I reserve for other than rational decision made/not made, with the information available at the time.
Everything is GMMG's fault these day's here though. He's the goat.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:24 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stovepipe Cup View Post
Team will have room to make moves next year. Not sure why the 'sky is falling' for our future yet...

Cap space going up +++, and you can expect another young d-man in our top 6, Stanton at a good rate, Corrado... Maybe one of the young forwards (Gaunce, Horvat for 3rd line C). Team has ability to make some moves (i.e., top 6 player).
What moves will the Canucks make? Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Edler all have NTC so our trade chips are Lack, Tanev, Corrado, Hansen and Kassian and its unlikely we move any of them, so I'm not sure what kinda impactful moves this team can really make. I don't think the sky is falling but we're not contenders, we're not an elite team we're good team that should make playoffs but likely won't go deep, are best hope is that this team learns to draft a lot better.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Win One Before I Die
Cautious Optimism

Who removed the relics from Gallagher's tomb? He has cursed this team since he was awoken. We need Indianapolis Jones to solve the curse so the Canucks can have a championship year.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:27 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Everything is GMMG's fault these day's here though. He's the goat.
He's deserved it, he has really ****ed up these last few season, since the SCF he lost slight of what made this team great, he moved away from that and tried to make this team something it's not.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:27 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
What moves will the Canucks make? Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Edler all have NTC so our trade chips are Lack, Tanev, Corrado, Hansen and Kassian and its unlikely we move any of them, so I'm not sure what kinda impactful moves this team can really make. I don't think the sky is falling but we're not contenders, we're not an elite team we're good team that should make playoffs but likely won't go deep, are best hope is that this team learns to draft a lot better.
Very rarely does a NTC stop a deal from happening... unless the players contract numbers prohibit teams from being interested...*cough,cough*.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
ddawg1950

Nice to see Tony going green...

What with the recycling and all.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:31 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Very rarely does a NTC stop a deal from happening... unless the players contract numbers prohibit teams from being interested...*cough,cough*.
Gillis has said he will not ask a player to waive, he couldn't move Edler when he could've because he was asking the moon for him instead of looking for a deal that helps both teams, I don't see Gillis making moves, I think he rides this core to the ground and hopes he hits gold in the next few drafts.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:34 PM
SnapIt

vCash: 833
There are points to be made for both sides.

I don't buy the argument that our players are getting too old. The Sedins at 33 years old are still playing great hockey. We're also missing key players such as Edler and Burrows.

But, this season I wouldn't expect much in terms of playoff success. Even with injured players returning, there isn't enough scoring depth (1-2 players needed!).

SnapIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

As dominant as that '10-11 team was, they would be sitting 4th in the conference right now. I don't think you can overstate just how strong the West has been this season. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the toughest conference in league history...

The Canucks are a top 5 defensive team in the NHL, have the best PK, are around 10th in even strength goals for but the PP is holding them back. They're really not that far off being a threat in the West - just need to address the PP.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
He is not entirely off base, as others have stated. However, the article reads notably disingenuous when he references things like Higgins as a fourth line acquisition. He was always intended to play on our third line as a depth scorer, and is presently producing at a decent second line pace. Gillis has been notorious for taking chances on castoffs to see what can become from a change of scenery - to his credit, he has actually had a far bit of success.

No, the Canucks are not likely to ever emulate the 2010-11 season, at least not with this core. But to cite the decline of the Sedins, I say look no further than Thornton and Marleau. Both were considered on the downturn of their respective careers and in the past few years mounted an impressive comeback. The Sedins may not be capable of another 100+ point season with or without a solid winger, but I certainly believe they can come bloody close. The fact Henrik has become a more complete player, yet held a PPG status for much of the season supports that theory.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Trelane

Quote:
We will find out this summer since a D man should still go, and I would be disappointed if it were Tanev and it later turned out some other D could have fetched a better return, but the GM nixed it on account of misplaced honor.

I suspect a player signing a NTC contract today is told by his agent to treat it more as a final say on your destination should the team decide to send you away. I mean what good player doesn’t have one nowadays?

Trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
With the degree of parity any team in the West could get hot - just make the play-offs and go from there.

Look at LA when they won the Cup - squeaked into the play-offs with a subpar injury riddled season, got healthy at just the right time, had hot goaltending and went on a roll.
Exactly, that's why I always go back to what MG said about the key being to be a competitive team year-in/year-out. We may not be dominant anymore, but that was a (fun) temporary circumstance. Now we have Luongo and Lack that will keep us competitive in net for the foreseeable future. Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison all locked up, Tanev young and a RFA, Stanton another cheap year with RFA after that and Corrado ready to come up. Not spectacular, but deep and solid throughout the horizon. The question is at forward, the Sedins are on long-term deals and still first-line players league-wide, Burrows is a question but Kesler is solid, that's a workable four top-six players. How Kassian, Santorelli, Horvat and Shinkaruk evolve and what we do with Booth's cap space will be key, but it's some young promise to get excited about. Hansen, Higgins and Richardson with Archibald and Sestito give us something to work with on the bottom six.

This team is built for consistency year to year, not dominance, and I'm personally okay with that. How we do with the cap space next year and how some players like Kassian develop will dictate our future, but we'll know more next year.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

I guess Gallagher's never ending quest to be negative overtook his relationship with Gillis. Guess they're no longer drinking buddies.

But like other's have said, unless you're one of those rah rah fans, this team cannot be seriously considered a cup contender. A playoff team for sure, but definitely not a favourite to win the cup.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
We all know the team's core is declining.

What Gallagher is essentially doing is going up to a 70 old person, telling him he's over the hill and he's old.

Yes, it's true, but it's also annoying to have someone who's even more over the hill and old himself tell you this kind of stuff.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:15 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
We will find out this summer since a D man should still go, and I would be disappointed if it were Tanev and it later turned out some other D could have fetched a better return, but the GM nixed it on account of misplaced honor.

I suspect a player signing a NTC contract today is told by his agent to treat it more as a final say on your destination should the team decide to send you away. I mean what good player doesn’t have one nowadays?
Those are called limited NTC..

Old
01-12-2014, 05:19 PM
ShouldveDraftedFiala

He's right. We wont be able to win for another 4 years. Sad that our GM puts keeping around nice guys ahead of winning.

ShouldveDraftedFiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
We should have a perma sticky thread about "the window". People have been lamenting about the fact that hockey players get older and teams change before our run in 2011 was even over.

Yes, we are not a top 5 team in the NHL, it is obvious. I don't think it is sad or really particularly a big deal. I like where we sit going forward, and I still think that we COULD beat most teams in a 7 game series right now.

Why would people focus on this stuff all the time?
I don't see us winning more than 1 game in a playoff series against LA, San Jose, Anaheim, or Chicago. We might be able to push St. Louis a bit but would still probably lose. We aren't a team that will get out of the first round. Is three straight first round exits good enough for you? It certainly is not for me. But hey, Gillis just doesn't want to address our problems. For years I've been saying we need more scoring for the playoffs, and this has been neglected and we've seen the failures resulting from that. Now it's too late and we have a lot more problems than just scoring.

01-12-2014, 05:30 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Exactly, that's why I always go back to what MG said about the key being to be a competitive team year-in/year-out. We may not be dominant anymore, but that was a (fun) temporary circumstance. Now we have Luongo and Lack that will keep us competitive in net for the foreseeable future. Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison all locked up, Tanev young and a RFA, Stanton another cheap year with RFA after that and Corrado ready to come up. Not spectacular, but deep and solid throughout the horizon. The question is at forward, the Sedins are on long-term deals and still first-line players league-wide, Burrows is a question but Kesler is solid, that's a workable four top-six players. How Kassian, Santorelli, Horvat and Shinkaruk evolve and what we do with Booth's cap space will be key, but it's some young promise to get excited about. Hansen, Higgins and Richardson with Archibald and Sestito give us something to work with on the bottom six.

This team is built for consistency year to year, not dominance, and I'm personally okay with that. How we do with the cap space next year and how some players like Kassian develop will dictate our future, but we'll know more next year.
Well making it to the playoffs year after year but not good enough to win is something we Canucks fans are very used to, this core has made it out of the 2nd round once.

I hope Gillis can do this winning transition and give us a team that can win a cup but I'm not going to hold my breath. I do like Gillis but he's really messed up the last bit, he came in and put on a show about making big bold moves but doesn't do ****, he ripped on DN/Burke core yet kept it the same. I like Gillis to be apart of the Canucks but I'm just not sure about him being a GM.

Old
01-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Now it's too late and we have a lot more problems than just scoring.
Like what? Top 5 defensive team in the NHL, best PK in the league, an excellent backend, above average goaltending...

The PP is the only glaring weakness on this club.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:52 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
INow it's too late and we have a lot more problems than just scoring.
Such as...

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote