HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Peca traded for Mike York/Conditional Pick..

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Do you guys think Peca will be able to revert back to the player he was in 2001-02? He's had a lot of time off of the ice to recuperate and I'm hoping he can be a 20-40-60 centreman for the Oilers. What do you guys think?

Old
08-04-2005, 01:58 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
i agree with DisplacedIslander ...this move gets us a pretty good return for a player who in all honesty has become a 3rd Center.

Peca after his injuries hasnt been the same and at his high salary ...we honestly couldnt afford to have a center who cant score being paid that much.

This move was made to free up cap space ...and hopefully Satan proves to be a great investment

But the PK will suffer mightly with this move...

Lets see who MM gets to fill in those last D slots ...looking at the new "lines" a need for a stay at home D is screaming out at me.

regarding leadership....other players [Blake,Janne,Yashin?] will need to step up

too bad KJ bailed on us....he would be nice to have right about now

Old
08-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
I'm a bit mixed on the deal, maybe because of everything Peca brought to this team, the leadership & what not. Its hard to say with alll the time off if he was going to be the player he was again before the injury or if he was going to be th3 3rd line type center he has been the last couple years. With York though we do get somoene who is younger quicker, most likley going to be a better point producer. I would say both are solid 2 way players, Peca better on the efensive side of the puck & at this stage in their career's especially after the injury to Peca, York does have more of an offensive upside.. I have always liked Peca (going back to his Buffalo days) & wish him all the best iN Edmonton & hope this trade works out well for both teams. Going to miss the leadership & heart Peca gave us, but we did land a quality player for him & cleared up $2mil of cap room in the process

Old
08-04-2005, 02:34 AM
nyr5186

As a Ranger fan, I just want to say that those Isle fans who are killing this trade right now will grow to love it very quickly. Trust me. Mike York will become a fan favorite on the island, somebody who, even if his name doesnt show up on the scoreboard, will make a positive impact on the ice every night. He will more than make up for the loss of Peca's heart and leadership. And yes, he can play both wing and center, so he's versatile. It really kills me to see this happen, and makes me hate Sather even more for trading him away for Poti.

Old
08-04-2005, 05:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I'm ecstatic about this move! I felt Peca has been deteriorating on the ice and the team hadn't gotten past the first round with him. In addition, I haven't been very fond of him and his comments off the ice.

York is younger, faster, and possibly even BETTER than Peca at this stage. In addition, Peca took the whole season off while York carried a German team with 16-46-62 (2nd leading scorer) and did so just to play with his best buddy from MSU days.

I'm excited! Very excited. Now, do the Isles want him to be a center or better yet LW next to Yashin and Satan.

Old
08-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Moosie

Time for a Change

I guess this was about dumping salary, but it's time Peca moves on. He lost his enthusiasm for the Islanders two seasons ago.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Shadowtron

You guys will definitely enjoy what York brings. I don't think he'll replace the PRESENCE of a Peca, but he comes to work every night and will pot you a couple dozen goals a year. His biggest knock is the vanishing act he pulls every mid-season. Because he plays hard every game, it tends to wear him down by Jan/Feb. However, while he may not be putting up the numbers during this period, he still plays an excellent defense game so he's never a liability on the ice. He'll be a fan favorite. Enjoy him!

Old
08-04-2005, 09:12 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
You guys will definitely enjoy what York brings. I don't think he'll replace the PRESENCE of a Peca, but he comes to work every night and will pot you a couple dozen goals a year. His biggest knock is the vanishing act he pulls every mid-season. Because he plays hard every game, it tends to wear him down by Jan/Feb. However, while he may not be putting up the numbers during this period, he still plays an excellent defense game so he's never a liability on the ice. He'll be a fan favorite. Enjoy him!
I like Peca an awful lot but presence was not getting it done anymore.

I remember York with the Rangers and have followed him with Edmonton, aside from some injuries and wearing down Isles absolutely have themsevles a player who will help in a lot of ways and will become a fan favorite. I only hope he plays left wing with Yashin and Satan because all three will create open ice that Yashin and Satan have not had for years. This will be a fun line to watch.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:15 AM
boredmale

York-Yashin-Satan

we can call that "the 1/3 of our cap" line

Old
08-04-2005, 09:32 AM
JR#9*

This is a GREAT move for the Isles and it breaks my heart in that my favorite NHL player is now an Islander!

You guys will quickly come to love this trade even if you were a Peca fan and here's why...

The biggest compliment I can give to York is that was the one guy that I felt in bringing my sons to the game that I could point out and say"you see that guy boys, that is how you play this great game" because Mike York brings it not only every night but every shift.

I've never seen a guy who's feet never stop moving like York's and with the new rules this will be huge because he will be tremendous on the forecheck and his speed to burn will be huge in this new NHL.

He may be undersized but his heart is oversized and he will dig in the corners.He has grit and will go into the traffic areas and drive to the net.He also always finds a way to get his shot on net and he often leaves juicy rebounds as a result.

He has a very high skill level and is a tremendous passer as well as being able to bury the puck.His offensive game leaves Peca's in the dust.

He is awesome on the PK and he will serve you well on the PP as well.

I'm telling you I can't say enough about this guy because his game goes well beyond the stat sheet and while some feel he get's overhyped I can't see anybody not acknowledging what this guy brings every night to an NHL team.

Having him as your 2nd line center with say Parrish and Wienhandl will be great IMO as Parrish will crash the net and benefit from York's playmaking.

Obviously Peca had some lockeroom issues and had it splintered b/w him and Yashin so when you figure that in as well as the money saved in York vs Peca this is a nobrainer and I'd even go as far to say that I'd rather have York centering my 2nd line in this new NHL as York's game will even be better and Peca's will take a step back IMO.

Isles have done well for themselves but still need to have an adequate replacement for the big hole Scatchard leaves on the 3rd line(Gratton on the cheap maybe) and also need another offensive minded to 4 d-man IMO to take the next step forward.

Very good moves by MM....did I just say that????

Last edited by JR#9*: 08-04-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old
08-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Can't agree with you more JR. LIke Leetch and Richter, York was impossible to hate. I always liked him and respected him as a player. Thrilled to have him here. Happy to be rid of Peca. No one else might be, but i think this team will be much more cohesive.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:49 AM
jmg27

Basically we got rid of Peca and received York and Satan in return. In the big picture it looks pretty good to me considering we were basically paying Peca 4 mill putting up numbers of a 3rd line checking center.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:52 AM
JR#9*

It kills me Kvashinator that there is an Islander that I actually have to root for but I just could never root against this guy and because he's an Isle I'll be watching alot more Isle games as a result, of curse I'll still be only pulling for one guy to do well!!!

Good luck with him, he'll be an instant fan favorite as he was in NY as well as Edmonton.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Kvashinator12

thats why it killed me to see Richter get hurt, and why it was hard to watch leetch as a ranger. There ar guys you just respect.

Tell me is Sather serious with Malik?

Old
08-04-2005, 10:06 AM
greatwhite101*

Getting rid of Peca was a hell of a move. York and Satan will bring scoring and speed. Personally I was never too high on Peca. Rare good move for NYI GM.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Diamond Dan 5150

Send a message via AIM to Diamond Dan 5150
This is a mess, where is the leadership now??? Yashin???

Milbury, going back to the Kaparaitas trade has never understood intangibles or toughness.

What are we getting in York, a guy who has played half a season more over the three year strecth the Isles had Peca and only has 15 more goals in that time?

Would you trade Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt for Mike York, b/c essentially that is what has happened now. All of the potential tied up in those two guys was traded for the intangibles that Peca brings. Now Milbury trades him for Mike York?

Say, who's gonna be on the blue line this year? Janne Niinnimaa, Zhitnik and Radek Martinek........ooooooooooo......Try addressing the disaster the defense is gonna be and not trade away the best leader this team had in awhile.

Last edited by Diamond Dan 5150: 08-04-2005 at 10:22 AM. Reason: slip up
Old
08-04-2005, 10:27 AM
JR#9*

Kvasinator---He gave Malik too much money but other than that I'm OK with it because all the NYR's move signify that he is going to stick with the rebuild and set the foundation for at least 1 more yr before trying to get up there with the big boys in the conference and then next summer watch them make a run at a Joe Thronton or Lecavliear to be the stud upfront.

Signing guys like Straka and Ruchinsky is great as they are one yr deals that will allow us to dump them at the dealine for prospects/picks as we did last go round with very good results IMO which added to the rebuild significantly.

The NYR's are stacked in goal and on the blueline with very solid prospects and upfront they have alot of good depth for the future but they need Jessiman to become a 1st liner to really be in good shape for the future.

All in all I'm very excited about the future of the NYR's but that future will require patience and I'm fine with that even though I just reupped my 4 season tix today and will be enduring some more rough at MSG but I'm actually excited that the Atlantic has just added Forsberg, Crosby and brought back my boy York even though it it made our division that much tougher.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Isles have done well for themselves but still need to have an adequate replacement for the big hole Scatchard leaves on the 3rd line(Gratton on the cheap maybe) and also need another offensive minded to 4 d-man IMO to take the next step forward.
i don't think we need another offensive defenseman, Sopal, Niinimaa and Zhitnik are all offensive, i fear that islanders will be on the bad side of alot of 5-4 games this year. Personally i would like McGill but i think he is out of our price range.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Isles_Goal

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Goal
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
The more i look at the trade it looks like it might work out for both teams. The year off definantly works in Peca's favor. If he returns to the form he was in 2001-02, edmonton definantly gets the better of this trade. If not Islanders do. The fact that he is a UFA next season makes this trade less hard to take if he does have a good season.
IMO even if Peca, all of a sudden, gets back to his former self, we still win.

I know that the injury he suffered was devestating, however, I think the issues with Peca are much deeper than that. Can't say what...but IMO something changed mentally...and his heart was not with the Islanders anymore.

So even if he's the old Peca again...he will be the old Peca for the Oilers...and he would never have been the old Peca again with the Islanders.

Regardless of what he does from now on...this was the right move at the right time for the Islanders.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:46 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9

All in all I'm very excited about the future of the NYR's but that future will require patience and I'm fine with that even though I just reupped my 4 season tix today and will be enduring some more rough at MSG but I'm actually excited that the Atlantic has just added Forsberg, Crosby and brought back my boy York even though it it made our division that much tougher.
That's funnny. Renewing tickets to watch OTHER teams play. Growing pains stink for your team (we know), but this is probably the best time EVER to do it. So many players have reshuffled that it's gonna be a great season to watch.

NYR did make smart one-year deals with Straka and Ruchinsky. Also, great point about deadline trading because most of the contract will be consumed and no hook for additional years. If this does happen, then very strategic moves.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Kvashinator12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Kvasinator---He gave Malik too much money but other than that I'm OK with it because all the NYR's move signify that he is going to stick with the rebuild and set the foundation for at least 1 more yr before trying to get up there with the big boys in the conference and then next summer watch them make a run at a Joe Thronton or Lecavliear to be the stud upfront.

Signing guys like Straka and Ruchinsky is great as they are one yr deals that will allow us to dump them at the dealine for prospects/picks as we did last go round with very good results IMO which added to the rebuild significantly.

The NYR's are stacked in goal and on the blueline with very solid prospects and upfront they have alot of good depth for the future but they need Jessiman to become a 1st liner to really be in good shape for the future.

Although we almost always agree to disagree, i respect what you said. You actually want to see the rebuild which is refreshing. As most fans were craving for Forsberg and Naslund. Forsberg i could see anyone wanting, but I feel Naslund is a complimentary player and fed a lot off Morrison and Bertuzzi. I think the Rags future is bright, but a lot of it like ours depends on iffy 2003 picks. Nilsson and Jessiman. Both have a lot to prove to show why they were drafted where they were. Staal was an excellent pick. I just want to see this rivalry where it was late 1980's early 90;s once again.

Old
08-04-2005, 02:24 PM
sticker

I really like the moves Mad Mike has made so far. Yes we have lost quite a bit leadership that really can't be replaced with the players we currently have. However I think in the "new" NHL the players we have acquired are better than the ones we gave up and will give us more goals. We are still lacking that one D to help with clearing the crease/playing tough or just being responsible D. I liked McGillis for that role but he's been signed by the Devils. Not sure who else is out there that we could get. I've heard talk of McCabe but he would make too much for this team and not sure if I like McCabe back on the Island. Jiri Slegr may be a good pickup or putting an offer to a guy like Jay McKee or Lyle Odelein (though quite old)

Could probably use a checking C too. Someone relatively cheap but comes with some experience. Gratton was mentioned and think he woudl be a nice fit, maybe Van Allen even.

Old
08-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker
I really like the moves Mad Mike has made so far. Yes we have lost quite a bit leadership that really can't be replaced with the players we currently have. However I think in the "new" NHL the players we have acquired are better than the ones we gave up and will give us more goals. We are still lacking that one D to help with clearing the crease/playing tough or just being responsible D. I liked McGillis for that role but he's been signed by the Devils. Not sure who else is out there that we could get. I've heard talk of McCabe but he would make too much for this team and not sure if I like McCabe back on the Island. Jiri Slegr may be a good pickup or putting an offer to a guy like Jay McKee or Lyle Odelein (though quite old)

Could probably use a checking C too. Someone relatively cheap but comes with some experience. Gratton was mentioned and think he woudl be a nice fit, maybe Van Allen even.

I would love to see Ville Niemenen signed (I believe he's a UFA) to be our third/fourth line checking center. Gritty guy who gives it all and cut his teeth in Colorado and Calgary.

Old
08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Goal
IMO even if Peca, all of a sudden, gets back to his former self, we still win.

I know that the injury he suffered was devestating, however, I think the issues with Peca are much deeper than that. Can't say what...but IMO something changed mentally...and his heart was not with the Islanders anymore.

So even if he's the old Peca again...he will be the old Peca for the Oilers...and he would never have been the old Peca again with the Islanders.

Regardless of what he does from now on...this was the right move at the right time for the Islanders.

i completely agree with that. Astute observation.

Old
08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
looba22

Coditional Pick?

Does anyone know what the conditional pick is in the Peca trade? Thanks.

Closed Thread