HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Super Bowl TV Ratings in Canada/US

Old
02-05-2014, 10:36 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 500
OT: Super Bowl TV Ratings in Canada/US

These ratings that the Super Bowl got in Canada were huge.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/...er-super-bowl/

The Ratings in the US.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ratings...4567--nfl.html

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer

I believe both Denver (in the plains provinces and Alberta) and Seattle (in BC) have large Canadian fanbases so I'm not at all shocked

MOD: Thread title changed to better reflect the scope of the topic

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:58 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
I find it funny that the peak viewership was during the half time show. But I guess a lot of people watch it for the spectacle. Have to admit I'm not an NFL fan, neever watch a game all season and watch the superbowl.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:14 AM
cutchemist42

I personally thought the numbers were going to be worse. I was surprised to hear it was still top 5 in the USA, and that this was the 2nd best ever in Canada. The game was unwatchable to me personally, and I stopped watching after the kickoff return to start the 2nd half.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I personally thought the numbers were going to be worse. I was surprised to hear it was still top 5 in the USA, and that this was the 2nd best ever in Canada. The game was unwatchable to me personally, and I stopped watching after the kickoff return to start the 2nd half.
It was not only top 5 in the USA, but No. 1 of all-time, as per the yahoo link in the OP:

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- For the fourth time in five years, the Super Bowl has set a record for the most-watched television event in U.S. history, drawing 111.5 million viewers even though the Seattle Seahawks' 43-8 victory over the Denver Broncos wasn't really competitive.
The follow up paragraph in that article sums up why sports programming is such a valuable commodity to broadcasters:

[/QUOTE]The ratings record is further evidence of how live events are becoming dependable and valuable properties for broadcast television at a time the audience is fragmenting and ratings for regular entertainment shows continue to fall.[/QUOTE]

Betamax* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Most people I know don't even watch the game, they watch the commercials.

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Frankenrogers

Superbowl has always been an "event" but I have found that in the past 5-6 years Superbowl parties/get-togethers have become a more commonplace practice with casual fans watching. While I don't speak for all of Canada, I'm sure that my experience isn't unique.

I'm a casual fan that rarely watches the regular season (yet will play in a suicide pool every year) but when Superbowl comes its an excuse for my wife and I to get our friends together. While there are a few NFL fans in the group, most are like us in that we recognize that it is a fun event, and are really just looking forward to hanging out with the whole experience where we eat chili and drink beer and ooh and ahh in unison when plays are made. The fact that it is a scheduled one-off event makes it easy to plan. I would even say that because we are in Canada, nobody has a strong rooting interest in any particular team, just NFL football in general.

Anyway, I think that it is now a make-a-plan-for-it event accounts for the increased interest in the game Canada.

Frankenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 08:54 PM
berklon

So an average of 8 million Canadian viewers. What are the Grey Cup numbers like in comparison?

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Brooklanders*

The Superbowl will always do better in ratings as compared to Stanley Cup playoffs, Greg Cup, and World Series. The NFL just appeals to a much wider audience. These ratings are no surprise. It shows the NBA is really in trouble.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
So an average of 8 million Canadian viewers. What are the Grey Cup numbers like in comparison?
4.5 million average for 2013's game. Peaked at 5.5 million, and they figured as many as 15 million watched at some point or another throughout the game.

Last edited by Rocko604: 02-05-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
Superbowl has always been an "event" but I have found that in the past 5-6 years Superbowl parties/get-togethers have become a more commonplace practice with casual fans watching. While I don't speak for all of Canada, I'm sure that my experience isn't unique.

I'm a casual fan that rarely watches the regular season (yet will play in a suicide pool every year) but when Superbowl comes its an excuse for my wife and I to get our friends together. While there are a few NFL fans in the group, most are like us in that we recognize that it is a fun event, and are really just looking forward to hanging out with the whole experience where we eat chili and drink beer and ooh and ahh in unison when plays are made. The fact that it is a scheduled one-off event makes it easy to plan. I would even say that because we are in Canada, nobody has a strong rooting interest in any particular team, just NFL football in general.

Anyway, I think that it is now a make-a-plan-for-it event accounts for the increased interest in the game Canada.
Pretty much this. My mother in law and sister in law won't watch a single game all season, but they'll watch the Super Bowl, especially this one since the Seahawks were playing. It's always been an event. If I ask them what the Rose Bowl is, they have no clue.

Last edited by Rocko604: 02-05-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old
02-05-2014, 10:57 PM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

It's probably the biggest sporting event of the year. Even the most anti-football people out there still watch the game.

02-05-2014, 11:42 PM
KevFu

I find it amazing that TV ratings are still done how they're done. It's archaic. (Like the next generation of smart TVs couldn't just have an app that logs EVERYTHING?)

How do you say 111 million Americans watched the Super Bowl by using the same household formula you use for any TV show? The Super Bowl is the only TV event that's treated like New Year's Eve or Thanksgiving -- aka "What are you doing for the Super Bowl?"

TV ratings are dumb. And TV ratings for SPORTS are ridiculously dumb.

My two buddies and I did the math one day at a bar -- and again the next day, because we wanted to double-check our math sober.

There was a soccer match that had 302,000 viewers in the United States according to the Nielsen ratings.

If you divide the number of viewers by the entire population, you get the percentage of Nielsen raters who watched that soccer match, because that's what the Nielsen ratings represent.

19 of the 20,000 Nielsen households watched the match that day.

Now, because the Nielsen's are nationwide, the raters are distributed around the country to get an "accurate cross section." A market the size of Buffalo has 27 Nielsen homes. This is why very few people in the US have ever known someone who was a Nielsen rater.

I know one. He was with me, at that bar, watching THAT SOCCER MATCH, and taking 15,895 nationwide viewers away by not watching it home!

Last edited by KevFu: 02-06-2014 at 12:40 AM.
KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 11:25 AM
MrSZ56

In Canada the ratings are calculated differently. Here the ratings are calculated on a per viewer basis instead of a per household basis. Also, BBM Canada has introduced PPMs (Portable People Meters) that track television viewing of participants everywhere they go including sports bars. So while the U.S. TV rating system may still be archaic, Canada's has evolved.

MrSZ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 01:04 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
4.5 million average for 2013's game. Peaked at 5.5 million, and they figured as many as 15 million watched at some point or another throughout the game.
That Grey Cup was unwatchable too. Its funny because most years, the BCSCG is the letdown football game compared to Grey Cup and Super Bowl.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:06 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSZ56 View Post
In Canada the ratings are calculated differently. Here the ratings are calculated on a per viewer basis instead of a per household basis. Also, BBM Canada has introduced PPMs (Portable People Meters) that track television viewing of participants everywhere they go including sports bars. So while the U.S. TV rating system may still be archaic, Canada's has evolved.

Had no clue about this actually.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
peck420

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
It was not only top 5 in the USA, but No. 1 of all-time, as per the yahoo link in the OP:
Just because Yahoo says it, doesn't make it true.

Even after this years record break, the SB is still at #4 for sporting events...granted, I do believe that all 3 positions ahead of it should not really count as they all exceed 1 day in broadcasting. (#1-24 Hrs Le Mans, #2-Summer Olympics, #3-World Cup)

Ironically...there are some epically boring TV broadcasts in China that dwarf all of those sports broadcasts...

peck420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I find it funny that the peak viewership was during the half time show. But I guess a lot of people watch it for the spectacle. Have to admit I'm not an NFL fan, neever watch a game all season and watch the superbowl.
A female friend at the bar on Sunday: "Do they have this super bowl every week?"

Superbowl numbers are not indicative of football fandom at all, but its own separate gravitational strength as a major spectacle.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
That Grey Cup was unwatchable too. Its funny because most years, the BCSCG is the letdown football game compared to Grey Cup and Super Bowl.
Agreed. The Grey Cup was over in the first quarter. We started flipping back and forth from the Denver/New England Sunday Nighter.

The BCS NCG was looking like a dud as well. Glad I stuck with it. Amazing second half. Really wish they would move the game to a Saturday. Monday night makes zero sense.

Old
02-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Tinalera

Be interesting to see how the numbers compare in 2014 with Stanley Cup and Grey Cup.

2013 Superbowl had 6.6 mil Canadian, Grey Cup 4.5, and Stanley Cup 3.4 for final game of final.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/whatson...tched-in-2013/

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 03:27 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
anyone else find it odd that the Superbowl is on CTV while the Grey Cup is on TSN?

seems backwards

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
anyone else find it odd that the Superbowl is on CTV while the Grey Cup is on TSN?

seems backwards
It's been discussed in some of the CFL threads. Because TSN has done such a great job broadcasting the league, the league keeps the Grey Cup on TSN. Obviously there's no concerns in terms of ratings or revenue.

It's similar to ESPN broadcasting college, but not putting the BCS games on ABC.

Old
02-06-2014, 04:02 PM
ScottyBowman

So the Super Bowl has better ratings than the Stanley cup Finals in Canada

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 04:30 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
I'd imagine if the Stanley Cup Final was 1 game on a Sunday, we'd flip that. Might help to not be up against anything else, and not in the summer when people go outside either.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Oh you bet. Just as Canada lives in the shadow of the giant Unites States, so too do the other 3 major sports leagues throughout North America in comparison to the NFL & the SuperBowl. Its as much an "event" as it is a game drawing a huge cross-section of viewers. Transcendent.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote