HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
I could see him play the off wing.

Wikipedia and The Hockey Writers have him on the LW. Eliteprospects and HF have him as a RW.

Old
03-11-2014, 04:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Kapanen should be looking to play for another pro team next year. His FEL team is historically bad this year & traded off all it's top players but him because of dad playing there & owning the team as well.

I don't know if his dad will want to move him to another team in the FEL or if he'll come over to the AHL with the team that selects him this year.

However I don't think he'll be there when the Flyers pick nor do I think they'll trade up for him but if he were to fall he could potentially help the Phantoms out next year if the FEL isn't an option.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-11-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old
03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
sharpeye97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Kapanen should be looking to play for another pro team next year. His FEL team is historically bad this year & traded off all it's top players but him because of dad playing there & owning the team as well.

I don't know if his dad will want to move him to another team in the FEL or if he'll come over to the AHL with the team that selects him this year.

However I don't think he'll be there when the Flyers pick nor do I think they'll trade up for him but if he were to fall he could potentially help the Phantoms out next year if the FEL isn't an option.
He can't play in AHL, he's too young. Have to be 20 y/o unfortunately, which is a stupid rule.

Old
03-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeye97 View Post
He can't play in AHL, he's too young. Have to be 20 y/o unfortunately, which is a stupid rule.
I believe that's only an agreement with the CHL. European players are free to come over younger.

Old
03-12-2014, 12:43 PM
sharpeye97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
I believe that's only an agreement with the CHL. European players are free to come over younger.
Then that would be much better. I've never understood the rule and why there isn't a waiver for CHL players.

Old
03-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
With their ridiculous March schedule the Flyers could quite easily miss the playoffs end up with a pick between 6 and 13.

Old
03-12-2014, 12:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Correct, the only leagues that have restrictions are the CHL & the KHL. CHL kids can't play in the AHL unless they are 20 or have played 4 years in juniors. The KHL they can only come over if their contract is up.

The Swedish & Finnish leagues players can come over when ever they sign an NHL contract. Their contracts with their teams aren't binding like the KHL.

Old
03-12-2014, 12:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
With their ridiculous March schedule the Flyers could quite easily miss the playoffs end up with a pick between 6 and 13.
There's a chance but I still don't see it happening.

I like Kapanen but I'm not gung-ho on having to have him in Flyers uni. If the Flyers actually ended up with a high pick I would prefer Nick Ritchie over him.

Old
03-12-2014, 01:16 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
There's a chance but I still don't see it happening.

I like Kapanen but I'm not gung-ho on having to have him in Flyers uni. If the Flyers actually ended up with a high pick I would prefer Nick Ritchie over him.
I really hope they don't draft Kapanen. People are going to think he's like his dad and when they see he plays the game nothing like him, they're going to throw him under a bus.

At this point, if the Flyers are in the 6 to 13 range, I hope they wouldn't reach for McKeown (who I think will be available around the 20 mark). Instead, the guys I hope they target would be Ehlers in Halifax (a Jonathan Drouin clone and would be the high scoring left winger this club needs) or Haydn Fleury (another smooth skating, physical defenseman with excellent offensive upside). Ritchie would only be the alternative if neither of those guys are available (and even then, I'd have a hard time choosing Ritchie over Perlini). I'd love Dal Colle, but there's no way he's available between 6 and 13.

Old
03-12-2014, 01:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
At this point, if the Flyers are in the 6 to 13 range, I hope they wouldn't reach for McKeown (who I think will be available around the 20 mark). Instead, the guys I hope they target would be Ehlers in Halifax (a Jonathan Drouin clone and would be the high scoring left winger this club needs) or Haydn Fleury (another smooth skating, physical defenseman with excellent offensive upside). Ritchie would only be the alternative if neither of those guys are available (and even then, I'd have a hard time choosing Ritchie over Perlini). I'd love Dal Colle, but there's no way he's available between 6 and 13.
I don't even want to take a guess on how this draft unfolds, it's truly all over the place. However I'm starting to think Bennett goes #1 over Reinhart & Ekblad.

Old
03-12-2014, 02:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I don't even want to take a guess on how this draft unfolds, it's truly all over the place. However I'm starting to think Bennett goes #1 over Reinhart & Ekblad.
It's quite possible. I think that's what's great about this draft year - the consensus number one seems to be all over the place. I'm also thinking if Ehlers continues on his tear, his name will be added to the mix as a possible #1 overall player.

Old
03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I don't expect Kapanen to play like his dad. Kasperi has better skating legs, he's bigger and much more offensive driven than two-way. He's the kind of winger that would make a killing on Giroux's line. Plus, from what he said, he'd love to play in Philly, so even better.

Old
03-12-2014, 03:21 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I really hope they don't draft Kapanen. People are going to think he's like his dad and when they see he plays the game nothing like him, they're going to throw him under a bus.

Drouin clone?

Drouin is a rare prospect. Ehlers is really good, but he's not on Drouin's level. Drouins hands and intangibles are about as good as it gets. We are talking about the CHL player of the year as a 17 year old. A guy that has averaged over 2 PPG the last two seasons!!!

Old
03-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Funf

I'd love it if we could sign Christian Folin to add to our defensive prospect pool, and then draft Kapanen. Probably a pipe dream, but it would address two of our needs in one off season.

Old
03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I'd love it if we could sign Christian Folin to add to our defensive prospect pool
I wouldn't hold your breath. The Flyers have struck out on the top undrafted free agents every year. Matt Read, though one of the best, was unheralded his year with Da Costa. Plus the flyers could offer a one way contract since he was older and a lot of teams didn't want too.

Last edited by Psuhockey: 03-12-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old
03-12-2014, 07:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Drouin clone?

Drouin is a rare prospect. Ehlers is really good, but he's not on Drouin's level. Drouins hands and intangibles are about as good as it gets. We are talking about the CHL player of the year as a 17 year old. A guy that has averaged over 2 PPG the last two seasons!!!
Oh, definitely a Drouin clone. I don't think there's much difference between their games at all. Both are fantastic skaters, very creative offensively, and they're competitors willing to do whatever it takes to win. The real difference between the two is that Drouin is more of a playmaker and Ehlers is a better finisher.

I also think one has to take into consideration that Ehlers has come over to North America by himself, so there's a bit of an adjustment period that has to be accounted for.

I like the fact that the kid is a competitor, size be damned. He'll have to put on about 20 pounds before he reaches the NHL (he's about 163 - 165 soaking wet), but whoever drafts him are going to be giddy like a school girl.

Old
03-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
It all depends on who gets the 1st overall. There is no way I can see Edmonton passing on Ekblad. There would be an oiler fan riot.

I think the top 10 picks are starting to take form although the order is shifting: Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Perlini, Ehlers, Draisaitl, Virtanen, and Nylander. Maybe fleury might jump one of those guys. After that, the draft will be all over the place, IMO.

Old
03-12-2014, 08:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
It all depends on who gets the 1st overall. There is no way I can see Edmonton passing on Ekblad. There would be an oiler fan riot.
That would be the only way he goes #1 in my opinion. Edmonton is really the only team sitting in the bottom 5 right now that clearly has a need for defensemen. My guess is he ends up there regardless of where they pick in the top 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think the top 10 picks are starting to take form although the order is shifting: Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Perlini, Ehlers, Draisaitl, Virtanen, and Nylander. Maybe fleury might jump one of those guys. After that, the draft will be all over the place, IMO.
Players go higher or lower than expected every year, in a tight year where really nobody is setting themselves apart from one another anything can happen. I think the bulk of them will go in that range but it wouldn't surprise me if a few didn't.

I'm only confident in Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, & Dal Colle going in the top 5 but not sure the order in which that will shake out.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-12-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old
03-12-2014, 09:27 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Oh, definitely a Drouin clone. I don't think there's much difference between their games at all. Both are fantastic skaters, very creative offensively, and they're competitors willing to do whatever it takes to win. The real difference between the two is that Drouin is more of a playmaker and Ehlers is a better finisher.

I also think one has to take into consideration that Ehlers has come over to North America by himself, so there's a bit of an adjustment period that has to be accounted for.

I like the fact that the kid is a competitor, size be damned. He'll have to put on about 20 pounds before he reaches the NHL (he's about 163 - 165 soaking wet), but whoever drafts him are going to be giddy like a school girl.

If he were a Drouin clone he would pretty much be the unanimous #1 pick then, right?

Even if you say they have a similar playing style, Drouin's IQ is off the charts. Maybe the best since Crosby.

Aside from that, I think Ehlers may actually have higher top end speed. Drouin has better hands and his puck protection skills are elite. Ehlers is more of a goal scorer than playmaker (in comparison to Drouin). Drouin already has a near pro-ready body. I'm not one to get caught up in heights and weights, but there are obviously questions about Ehlers size (or lack their of).

I just think comparing Ehlers to Drouin is lazy and a little disrespectful to Jo.

Old
03-13-2014, 03:20 AM
NikoEhlers
Go Ducks! Go Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

If he were a Drouin clone he would pretty much be the unanimous #1 pick then, right?

Even if you say they have a similar playing style, Drouin's IQ is off the charts. Maybe the best since Crosby.

Aside from that, I think Ehlers may actually have higher top end speed. Drouin has better hands and his puck protection skills are elite. Ehlers is more of a goal scorer than playmaker (in comparison to Drouin). Drouin already has a near pro-ready body. I'm not one to get caught up in heights and weights, but there are obviously questions about Ehlers size (or lack their of).

I just think comparing Ehlers to Drouin is lazy and a little disrespectful to Jo.
Well to be fair, even Jo described Ehlers as a little similar thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1191291-mooseheads-crush-eagles

I understand the concern of his size, he has put on a few more kilos since summer and one thing you cannot say about Nikolaj is that he lacks work ethics, its the same on ice, vollgas every shift and actually plays a bit gritty, relentless competitor, so I wouldnt worry much on how he will progress from here.

His 3 yr older brother bulked up around that age too, his dad isnt small either, so the potential should be there for him

Old
03-13-2014, 09:07 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoEhlers View Post
Well to be fair, even Jo described Ehlers as a little similar thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1191291-mooseheads-crush-eagles

I understand the concern of his size, he has put on a few more kilos since summer and one thing you cannot say about Nikolaj is that he lacks work ethics, its the same on ice, vollgas every shift and actually plays a bit gritty, relentless competitor, so I wouldnt worry much on how he will progress from here.

His 3 yr older brother bulked up around that age too, his dad isnt small either, so the potential should be there for him
Yeah they have similarities in their game, but to say he is a clone is silly. If he's not playing for Halifax, that name never comes up.

Personally, I'm not concerned about his size, but a team picking in the top 10 may be a little hesitant to select a 5'11 165 pound winger.

Old
03-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Prongo
Beer

I think ehlers is pretty close to or even 6'0 according to someone on the prospect boards. Even if he is 5'11 I want this kid. I seen him play a few times and he is one hell of a player. Also he doesn't play all that much with drouin if I saw correctly. He also played big when drouin went down with injury. This is the kid I want the flyers to get. Him or fluery are my two top reasonable choices.

Also flyguy3911 where do you watch the games?

Old
03-13-2014, 10:12 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think ehlers is pretty close to or even 6'0 according to someone on the prospect boards. Even if he is 5'11 I want this kid. I seen him play a few times and he is one hell of a player. Also he doesn't play all that much with drouin if I saw correctly. He also played big when drouin went down with injury. This is the kid I want the flyers to get. Him or fluery are my two top reasonable choices.

Also flyguy3911 where do you watch the games?
I have to count on Sportsnet's re-runs on NHL Network.

Paying for Telus' quality (or lack thereof) in order to watch Q games is not something that interests me. I know there's hockey streams, but I don't don't have time to watch as many games as I used to. The DVR comes in handy.

Old
03-13-2014, 12:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92226

Kapanen updated to 6' 181 lbs. I could see the kid be 6'1" 190 lbs at his peak. With legs like his, that would be awesome to have him on the wing.

Old
03-13-2014, 12:43 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Ehlers is 6'0.

His father was 5'11 and 190lbs.
Ehlers will almost certainly reach that weight aswell.

Lot's of Danes are late bloomers - True story!

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 03-13-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Closed Thread