HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2014, 01:04 PM
FlyingSlovak

vCash: 500
I saw Ehlers in the 5-27 range in mock drafts. Pretty wide if you ask me. Why is that so? The kid impressed me in one game I saw him.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:17 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSlovak View Post
I saw Ehlers in the 5-27 range in mock drafts. Pretty wide if you ask me. Why is that so? The kid impressed me in one game I saw him.
Mostly because of size concerns.

And because many thought Drouin was why he was having such a good year.

In most recent lists though, he is top 13 concencus, as more have seen him now and because he has been on an absolute tear.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd trade up for Ehlers (depending on where he falls to) or Kapanen.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd trade up for Ehlers (depending on where he falls to) or Kapanen.
I think in a draft like this that is a bad move. I know that most here won't cop to it, but a big reason for the interest on these boards in Kapenen is because of his father (I know it is for me and I'm sure that's part of it for most of you whether you want to admit it or not). I think the talent outside of the top two or three isn't worth moving up unless someone you love drops to a spot where you can make a move.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Both would fit a need for us. A top 6 LW. We have Morin, Hagg and Ghost in the system with some others as well, so I think we need a winger. We have too many RW as is, but yeah, LW would be good.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

I would make a move few a few players in this draft. Everyone talks about how it isn't great but there are some really nice quality players here. Not world breakers but kids that have high potential. Ehlers, Dal Colle, The German, McCann, Fluery, Bennett(who I actually think could go #1) will all probably be pretty darn good NHLers.

The thing I like about Ehlers, Kaps, FLuery is their skating abilites, especially Ehlers. That kids can flat our fly. Explosive speed, great puck handling and has a pretty good shot. I have actually started to trend more to wanting him than Fluery.

If the right move comes along, and hypothetically if we miss the playoffs, I wouldn't mind moving a couple spots up. Nothing crazy, I am talking about draft picks, not actual roster players here.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Both would fit a need for us. A top 6 LW. We have Morin, Hagg and Ghost in the system with some others as well, so I think we need a winger. We have too many RW as is, but yeah, LW would be good.
For sure. I'd be glad if they drafted either of them, but I wouldn't go trading away anything to move up (unless it was something inconsequential). There are LW in this draft that should be available where the Flyers pick that from everything I have read isn't that far of a drop off from the top of the draft. If the Flyers are picking in the 20s, it is likely going to be expensive to move up to get Ehlers or Kapanen in all likelihood. To be sure that you are getting him, it would likely be a top ten pick. Either may fall out of the top ten, but if both are there at 9 and you really want to get them, you're probably looking at making that deal. Now, if they miss the playoffs that is a different story because the jump wouldn't be as far form say 15-9 than it is 20-9 or something like that.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

McKeen's March update have him as top 5 now.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If Kapanen can float around 15, I think we could easily move up to grab him. Our 1st, Grossmann and someone else, maybe Cousins or rights to Downie, for that 1st.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
If Kapanen can float around 15, I think we could easily move up to grab him. Our 1st, Grossmann and someone else, maybe Cousins or rights to Downie, for that 1st.
The cost of moving up, say 3 spots from 18 to 15 would most likely be a 2nd rounder. Maybe a 4th rounder on top of that if their is competition. It rarely happens when a team uses a roster player to move up in the draft. It's usually draft picks.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
The cost of moving up, say 3 spots from 18 to 15 would most likely be a 2nd rounder. Maybe a 4th rounder on top of that if their is competition. It rarely happens when a team uses a roster player to move up in the draft. It's usually draft picks.
I could see using the rights of a player though to help push it up. If we aren't going to re-sign Downie, I'm sure a team can use him.

1st, rights to Downie and a 4th/5th for that 1st.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I could see using the rights of a player though to help push it up. If we aren't going to re-sign Downie, I'm sure a team can use him.

I don't think that does much to help us move up. Downie isn't a player teams are busting down the doors to get. It's going to require a 2nd rounder to move up in the 1st rounder almost all the time. It's just are you comfortable giving up another asset(future pick) for a player you value more than everyone else at that spot in the draft? I wouldn't hesitate is making these moves if the player you want at that spot is a top level talent like Ehlers.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ft-trade-value

Good article on some trades to move up.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

The rights of UFA are worth barely anything. High end free agents barely bring anything of value back let alone a middling one like Downie.

Old
03-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Pelle31

Quote:
It' a pipe dream and I have said that many times, but you can't conclusively say they wouldn't entertain the idea of moving him. Nashville is in shambles as well, even when Rinne comes back, they can't win games where they score 0 goals. They need legit top line players or potential to become a true contending team. They have none of that right now. It's not about the contract and how much they already paid, it's about where they see the franchise going. It's a sunk cost, you have to ask yourself now, do we continue to be mediocre and make the trade? Maybe they feel they can bring in talent another way with trades and not include Weber, but he will garner the biggest return. I don't think Nashville will be a contending team until they get some top line material, they seem to miss it every draft as well(because they stock up on all the great defenders). Always keep an open mind, you can't say no to anything.
Another thought to this scenario is Nashville drafted a future Shea Weber in Seth Jones so there is a possibility that Nashville will entertain trading Weber this summer or next to get forward help. And if that happens you know the Flyers will be in the mix.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:02 PM
FlyingSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post

McKeen's March update have him as top 5 now.
Well, I had some hope when I saw him at 27th place somewhere that he could slip to us, but now it's gone
But since the draft is in Philly, I could imagine Holmgren at least wanting to move up to say top10. Not sure what the price would be though. Our 1st+?

Old
03-13-2014, 02:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The rights of UFA are worth barely anything. High end free agents barely bring anything of value back let alone a middling one like Downie.
Oh ****, I thought he was an RFA. Nevermind.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
Another thought to this scenario is Nashville drafted a future Shea Weber in Seth Jones so there is a possibility that Nashville will entertain trading Weber this summer or next to get forward help. And if that happens you know the Flyers will be in the mix.
Lol my post from January. I was confused. All I was really trying to say there is Nashville(if they were a smart group) would look at every single option at improving their forward group. Do I expect Weber to ever play here? No. Do I think it's a foregone conclusion that Weber would never be on the market? No. 99% sure he will never wear another jersey, all I always say is it never hurts to ask about him.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:05 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
Hey, there's an idea! Why not trade for Shea Weber?

Old
03-13-2014, 02:06 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Either way, I don't think it would be too hard to trade up to the mids to get Kapanen.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:06 PM
FLYguy3911

The rights to Downie

Old
03-13-2014, 02:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
The rights to Downie
Like I said, I thought he was an RFA. I was wrong.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
The March schedule is going to see the Flyers move up quite a few spots from their current position of 15th. I wouldn't worry now about what it will cost to trade up.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Like I said, I thought he was an RFA. I was wrong.
The rights to Downie could just be a way to sweeten the deal if there is a team that wants him that badly holding the pick we want. I don't know what pick we will have or what pick we'd be trading to in this hypothetical, but I wonder if a team would be willing to gamble and deal their first for a first in 2016 plus whatever else the going rate usually is.

I'd rather get two players in this draft. That way we can have a more concentrated youth core like Buffalo is going to have in a couple years.

Morin and Hagg coming in around the same age. Schenns and Couturier all around the same age. Laughton still young. Then the two we would get this year. All good age ranges for when Giroux is still in his peak years. IDK, just spit-balling here.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:28 PM
FlyingSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The March schedule is going to see the Flyers move up quite a few spots from their current position of 15th. I wouldn't worry now about what it will cost to trade up.
I presonally love the upcoming schedule. If they are worth a d... and win some games showing they belong in the play offs, good. If not, we will be approaching top 10 in the draft very fast. Win-win

I'll just enjoy getting up in the middle of the night and watch them play

Old
03-13-2014, 02:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I would honestly be disappointed if the Flyers missed out of the playoffs again for the second year in a row. I understand it's a possibility & the fact the team wouldn't go too far in them but watching the playoffs without the Flyers again would be disappointing to me. The top 10 this year does really nothing for me opposed to last year when getting a high pick made me excited.

Closed Thread