HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
brendan lemieux. He has flyer written all over him. He is a Reach, 2 way player, tough, likes to mix it up. I mean really the scouting report should just say flyer

Old
04-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Calude Lemieux's son, huh. I guess I can't hold that against him.

Old
04-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Prongo, looks like there are three centers in a dance for two chairs. If another team wanted Couturier, they would have to give up a Karlsson, OEL or equally talented defenseman to get him. That leaves Schenn and Laughton scrambling for the last center position. (Vinny isn't going anywhere; check the terms of his contract.) Because he is a proven quality NHL he has more trade value than Laughton. I don't think that anyone merely wants to trade him to get him off of the roster. It's just that he is a valuable player at a position where there is a surplus of talent and this team has other needs.
I'm not saying he is a lock for the Flyers roster next year but I am not moving him to move up in the draft. It's a backwards move. Schenn might be a part of a package for a stud defenseman but he also might not be. Laughton will probably be on the NHL team next year but he may be comfortable with a switch to 4th line winger. Flyers usually don't just throw prospects out into big ice time. I could see him centering the 4th line or winger on it while getting PK time as well.

I just find it pointless to move B. Schenn during the draft to move up. For an established defender as part of a package I see no problem with.

04-17-2014, 10:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Both Schenns and our 1st... what do you think that would net us in the draft?

Old
04-17-2014, 10:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Hopefully an NHL defensemen.

Old
04-17-2014, 10:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hopefully an NHL defensemen.
There's a big gap between Eklbad and someone like Fleury. I'd say a high end winger. I say that because it's easier to replace Luke than it is Brayden.

Old
04-17-2014, 10:39 PM
daynus

shea weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
either weber or something prettty darn close. i do not see the logic in trading the schenns for a high draft pick.brayden schenn hit the 20 goal mark this year, and many more to come, and the mike richards grit he brings, makes him a flyer. listen we are gonna sitting in a strong position to grab a very good skilled winger.

Old
04-17-2014, 11:01 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn and our 1st to Florida for 1st overall. Take Ekblad.

Old
04-17-2014, 11:06 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn and our 1st to Florida for 1st overall. Take Ekblad.
Florida doesn't do that trade. Not worth it anyway. We have enough prospects. We need an NHL defenseman.

It's pointless to give up NHL assets for draft picks in this draft. Wait it out and trust your scouting.

Old
04-19-2014, 11:27 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Jack Dougherty is off to a good start at the U18's with the US team.

He's looking like a late first/early second round guy but with a good showing he could raise his stock here.

He's a right handed shot, has good size (6'2" 185lbs.), good skater, & is good at both ends of the ice.

He's headed off to Wisconisn next year which is probably one of the best programs when it comes to developing defensemen which is also a plus.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-19-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old
04-19-2014, 12:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

We have a lot to pick from in the first two rounds. It's crazy.

Old
04-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Number 17

vCash: 946
Kevin Fiala would be intresting pick. He's flying under the radar. He has maybe the best hands in the draft IMO.

Old
04-19-2014, 02:18 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 17 View Post
Kevin Fiala would be intresting pick. He's flying under the radar. He has maybe the best hands in the draft IMO.
I would really like him. If we are bumped in the first round, I think we can probably get him. He probably my favorite player in the draft outside of Kapanen. In the second round I would like Jack Doughtery but I don't think he will be available at that pick.

Old
04-19-2014, 02:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I would really like him. If we are bumped in the first round, I think we can probably get him. He probably my favorite player in the draft outside of Kapanen. In the second round I would like Jack Doughtery but I don't think he will be available at that pick.
I don't think he goes in the second round, a good showing at the U18's could really go along way for a lot of these players in a draft like this where it's really wide open. He's already off to a good start through two games so far.

Plus the Flyers always go off the board with their picks so it's hard to get too hung up on the public scouting lists when thinking of possible picks.

Old
04-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Coffe

If we can find a way to get Ville Husso in a later round that'd be great. Kid is a beast.

Old
04-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
If we can find a way to get Ville Husso in a later round that'd be great. Kid is a beast.
I would definitely pick him in the second round, especially if we get another from Boston or via trade.

Old
04-19-2014, 03:05 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
I would definitely pick him in the second round, especially if we get another from Boston or via trade.
I agree. If that Boston pick does turn into another 2nd, I would defintiely consider it if we was still on the board.

Old
04-19-2014, 03:15 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
Should have gotten drafted last year.

Old
04-19-2014, 08:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Buffalo's GM Tim Murray doesn't see Ekblad as a franchise defensemen, not dynamic enough in his opinion.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...nchise-player/

Old
04-19-2014, 08:56 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Buffalo's GM Tim Murray doesn't see Ekblad as a franchise defensemen, not dynamic enough in his opinion.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...nchise-player/
Nothing new. Why people think he's the next big thing I don't know. Must be because he was granted exceptional status. He's still a good prospect, but he just matured faster than most(all) kids his age.

Old
04-19-2014, 09:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Nothing new. Why people think he's the next big thing I don't know. Must be because he was granted exceptional status. He's still a good prospect, but he just matured faster than most(all) kids his age.
Oh I know & agree. I felt like posting this article to give different perspective from a person who's scouted these players heavily over these last few months & holds a top job in the NHL.

I still see him maxing out as a Seabrook type, good #2-3 two-way defender which isn't bad at all & a good pick but it's not worth overpaying for that.

Old
04-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Oh I know & agree. I felt like posting this article to give different perspective from a person who's scouted these players heavily over these last few months & holds a top job in the NHL.

I still see him maxing out as a Seabrook type, good #2-3 two-way defender which isn't bad at all & a good pick but it's not worth overpaying for that.
Agreed. It will be 3-5 years before he is better than Coburn yet some want to throw a ton for the pick.

Old
04-19-2014, 09:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Agreed. It will be 3-5 years before he is better than Coburn yet some want to throw a ton for the pick.
He'll be in the NHL next year just because of his size but it's going to take him a few years to adjust in my opinion.

Seth Jones struggled at times this year at 18/19 but unlike Ekblad he's a dynamic skater which helped him cover up for some rookie mistakes.

I don't think it's going to be pretty for Ekblad next year, he's going to have a tough time transitioning to the pro game & there's no benefit of sending him back to juniors so whatever team drafts him is going to have to be patient with him.

If he goes to Florida he should be good on that front since they have some good defensive pieces there to where they can ease him in but if he goes to Edmonton get your popcorn ready.

Old
04-19-2014, 09:42 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:

I am surprised you see a prospect almost as good as Seth Jones maxing out as a #2 defenseman.

I liked him a lot earlier this year, but now I am a bit more skeptical and nor would I want to overpay for him however, he certainly has #1 defensive cornerstone potential. If he did not I don't know many prospects that do. I could see him become a decent #1, not Norris caliber but not too far off.

Old
04-19-2014, 10:03 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I am surprised you see a prospect almost as good as Seth Jones maxing out as a #2 defenseman.

I liked him a lot earlier this year, but now I am a bit more skeptical and nor would I want to overpay for him however, he certainly has #1 defensive cornerstone potential. If he did not I don't know many prospects that do. I could see him become a decent #1, not Norris caliber but not too far off.
Jones' upside is so much higher. Much much better skater, more athletic, better on his edges and pivoting. Can rush the puck, better hands, better passer. Ekblad has a harder shot, but he's a lot stronger too. Ekblad's frame is maxed out. Jones still has room to grow.

If Jones is in this draft, I don't think there's much doubt he goes number 1.

Closed Thread