HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2014, 09:44 AM
sa cyred
No Tanking for #2

vCash: 500
I like Tuch so I'd be happy with him but my feeling he goes around 9-12.

Other guys I like are Kapanen, Milano, and Fiala

Old
05-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I wonder if Nashville would consider Vinny + 17 for 11? Vinny played well for Lavy and, by all accounts, is a much better fit for his system. Vinny signed here to play for Laviolette, so he certainly could be interested in being a 1/2C for the Preds.

I know most fans think Vinny is worth a bag of pucks, but this is only moving down 6 slots to add a 20-goal scorer with leadership to a team in need of forwards that provide both. Gives Nashville some solid scoring without giving up any of their prime assets.
vinny is not an asset. so it would be ditching vinnys contract at the expense of moving up 6 spots? No way nashville does that.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:01 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Nashville needs a top 6 player and they wouldn't give up a prospect or young player to do so. Plus, a pick is a pick when no name is attached to it yet. I think they would do that.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:04 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
vinny is not an asset. so it would be ditching vinnys contract at the expense of moving up 6 spots? No way nashville does that.
We hear this all the time, yet every year some player that supposedly has negative value is traded for something decent. If Vinny is moved, it's not going to be at a detriment to the Flyers.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:05 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Vinny will get getting top 6 minutes at the center position for a coach he wants to play for. I don't know how Nashville wouldn't want that.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:09 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Cant wait to see what Hextall does this off season i think he will surpise us.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Curufinwe

Hopefully in a good way.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
We hear this all the time, yet every year some player that supposedly has negative value is traded for something decent. If Vinny is moved, it's not going to be at a detriment to the Flyers.
can you give me some recent examples . Im blanking right now.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:26 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
can you give me some recent examples . Im blanking right now.
Gomez
Luongo
Horcoff
Wideman
Pominville
Bouwmeester

I'm sure there are a bunch that I'm forgetting, but those are some high profile players that were thought to have negative or no value that were moved quite easily by their teams.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Curufinwe

Only idiots thought Bouwmeester had no value.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:40 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I wonder if Nashville would consider Vinny + 17 for 11? Vinny played well for Lavy and, by all accounts, is a much better fit for his system. Vinny signed here to play for Laviolette, so he certainly could be interested in being a 1/2C for the Preds.

I know most fans think Vinny is worth a bag of pucks, but this is only moving down 6 slots to add a 20-goal scorer with leadership to a team in need of forwards that provide both. Gives Nashville some solid scoring without giving up any of their prime assets.
Could happen if vinny is told see ya waves his NTC i could see nashville taking it.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Gomez
Luongo
Horcoff
Wideman
Pominville
Bouwmeester

I'm sure there are a bunch that I'm forgetting, but those are some high profile players that were thought to have negative or no value that were moved quite easily by their teams.
whoa , i disagree with bouwmeester and pominville big time. Horcoff is a good one however he was traded with 2 years left on his deal totaling less than 8 million and he was traded for larsen and a 7th not exactly assets.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:11 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Only idiots thought Bouwmeester had no value.
I don't think anyone thought Bouwmeester had value. I think the problem was that the value of Bouwmeester was incredibly inflated and that when all was said and done, Bouwmeester went for significantly less than what others thought he would go for......

Old
05-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

Quote:
How do you know that? What if Nashville's draft board has little separating 11 from 17 this year? I mean, does Jared McCann for Vinny Lecavalier+Ivan Barbashev sound like a terrible deal for Nashville?

It just comes down to how Nashville perceives the difference between 11 and 17 this year which is highly, highly subjective.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Is Nashville in a pretty tight spot financially? Regardless of what they think of Vinny, can they afford to pay him for the next four seasons? He would immediately become their second highest paid skater, and aside from Weber, Rinne, and Josi, would be on the longest contract. I just don't see it happening unless the Flyers eat salary, or throw in some youth and take someone else back.

I'm not necessarily saying we should or the Flyers would do this, but perhaps something like this:

TO NASH:
VL
Laughton
Some mid-level prospect (Akeson, Cousins, etc)
First

TO PHL:
Josi
1st

No idea if either team does that. I probably would do that, might have to add a little from the Flyers POV (defensive prospect...rights to Gus or something?).

Old
05-14-2014, 11:56 AM
SolidSnakeUS

No way in hell do they give up Josi.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
How do you know that? What if Nashville's draft board has little separating 11 from 17 this year? I mean, does Jared McCann for Vinny Lecavalier+Ivan Barbashev sound like a terrible deal for Nashville?

It just comes down to how Nashville perceives the difference between 11 and 17 this year which is highly, highly subjective.

common sense and popular opinion are how i know.

Vinny is a win now player right? Nashville is not a win now team. No team is going to want to go near that contract unless we take back 50 percent. Also vinny has a nmc and is not gonig to waive it to go to nashville .

Also teams can offer better assets than vinny such as a 3rd round pick or a 2nd round pick.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think anyone thought Bouwmeester had value. I think the problem was that the value of Bouwmeester was incredibly inflated and that when all was said and done, Bouwmeester went for significantly less than what others thought he would go for......
Have you talked to your scouting friends lately? I remember you wrote a few months ago that they said to you that the Flyers really liked Fleury and McKeown, and maybe there was some other guys too.. I was just wondering if you have some new information?

Old
05-14-2014, 12:09 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
whoa , i disagree with bouwmeester and pominville big time. Horcoff is a good one however he was traded with 2 years left on his deal totaling less than 8 million and he was traded for larsen and a 7th not exactly assets.
Bouwmeester's value has changed significantly in the last year and a half. He was an overpaid, underperforming defenseman in Calgary. A lot of people thought Calgary would have to trade a pick or two just to give him away. He didn't return much, but he returned more than HF thought he would get. Once again, I didn't think that, but a lot of HF did, similar to Vinny.

Quote:
common sense and popular opinion are how i know.

Vinny is a win now player right? Nashville is not a win now team. No team is going to want to go near that contract unless we take back 50 percent. Also vinny has a nmc and is not gonig to waive it to go to nashville .

Also teams can offer better assets than vinny such as a 3rd round pick or a 2nd round pick.
Nashville could be a couple of top six forwards away from being a cup contender. They have a top three defense with an elite level goaltender. With Lavy now in town, and if they can make some moves to bring in a couple of legitimate top six forwards, I wouldn't be shocked to see them at the top of their division next year battling Chicago, St. Louis, and Colorado.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Vinny is a win now player right? Nashville is not a win now team.
They're not a "win the Stanley Cup now" team but they certainly are a "we need to be competitive next year" team. They desperately want to get better. They desperately need some offensive ability to meet that end.

Quote:
A third round pick is better than a twenty goal scorer? Most teams are pleased to turn a third round pick into a 10 goal scorer.

Look, I don't want Lecavalier because he doesn't fit on the Flyers, but he's only getting 4.5m. For a twenty goal scorer, that is fair value. You can't say his contract is bringing his value down.

Quote:
Also vinny has a nmc and is not gonig to waive it to go to nashville .
And this is all that matters. You're probably right.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
They're not a "win the Stanley Cup now" team but they certainly are a "we need to be competitive next year" team. They desperately want to get better. They desperately need some offensive ability to meet that end.
Poile's on the hot seat & a good argument could have been made that he should have been handed his walking papers already. He doesn't have time to sit around & let something hit him in the face his team has to show some signs of life next year otherwise he's out.

I'm not sure if they would do the deal above but I could see them possibly being interested with Lavi there now.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
No way in hell do they give up Josi.
Fair enough. I'm just spitballing. I don't think Vinny goes to Nashville unless we retain salary or some salary comes back. I'd like Josi but you're probably right that they don't deal him. Although packaging Laughton and an Akeson and Gus might be tempting. VL, Laughton, Akeson, Gus (or his rights if he is unsigned) for Josi would essentially be the deal. Yeah we are swapping picks, but that ain't too much. They get VL who could rebound. They get Laughton, young, controllable, former first rounder who seemingly plays a Nashville style of hockey (though that may change now that Lavi is coach). They get Akeson, who people around here love, same with Gus. Not a bad deal for either side if you ask me. But I don't see it happening. I think Vinny is here to stay.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Fair enough. I'm just spitballing. I don't think Vinny goes to Nashville unless we retain salary or some salary comes back. I'd like Josi but you're probably right that they don't deal him. Although packaging Laughton and an Akeson and Gus might be tempting. VL, Laughton, Akeson, Gus (or his rights if he is unsigned) for Josi would essentially be the deal. Yeah we are swapping picks, but that ain't too much. They get VL who could rebound. They get Laughton, young, controllable, former first rounder who seemingly plays a Nashville style of hockey (though that may change now that Lavi is coach). They get Akeson, who people around here love, same with Gus. Not a bad deal for either side if you ask me. But I don't see it happening. I think Vinny is here to stay.
Why would we need to retain salary? They have a **** ton of cap room for next season (without anyone else signed) at almost 23M and I don't they've used any of the amnesty buyouts yet either. They could just can Stalberg and then pick up Vinny for only a bit more and being a better player. Without any new signings, they are at 48M next season and the floor will be about 52M, so they would need to add cap regardless.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:39 PM
GoneFullHextall
NOT MY PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Vinny will get getting top 6 minutes at the center position for a coach he wants to play for. I don't know how Nashville wouldn't want that.
I don't think he would be a good fit in Lavys system. Everyone saw how much he struggled with his skating this past season and last I checked his system puts a lot of pressure on the other team with skating. Not seeing the fit.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:40 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I don't think he would be a good fit in Lavys system. Everyone saw how much he struggled with his skating this past season and last I checked his system puts a lot of pressure on the other team with skating. Not seeing the fit.
Considering how much more consistent and better Nashville's defense is and how Vinny will have better wingers when he plays center, it should work out much better for him. He will have better minutes, playing his best position with better wingers and have better defensemen to help make up for some mistakes.

Closed Thread