HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

1290 am

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2014, 10:22 AM
  #1
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
1290 am

Since this discussion was starting to take over the Pre Game thread, I figured it deserved it's own.

First off, we all obviously now of Jay Richardson's departure from the Big Show on 1290...and by all accounts so far it was amicable and a mutual decision. I'm not sure if we'll ever know exactly why, but as it stands the remaining two main guys are Troy Westwood and Matt Leiblelbleblblebl.

I'm curious to see if they make changes to the Post Game show crew, i.e. Rick Ralph and Adam Wazny. I think Rick Ralph, while a bit of a negative nancy, does a decent job being the straight man for all of the crazy callers after a game. Adam Wazny doesn't bring much to the table at all and seems to relish being the "realist" i.e. Ultra Debbie Downer all the time. They've already got one guy like that on the program...they could find someone with a little more energy. Heck, all things considered I'd rather see Jay on the Post Game show than Wazny.

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
  #2
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,295
vCash: 50
Whatever you dont bring back ray neufeld.

allan5oh is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:25 AM
  #3
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 204
Willing to bet 90% of the "crazy callers" are members of this board since after a loss most are crying end of the world and for so-and-so's head.

I agree, while his opinions differ sometimes, Rick Ralph does a fine job of dealing with the fools.

ajmidd12 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:31 AM
  #4
Moe Mantha
Registered User
 
Moe Mantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 785
vCash: 501
Bummer that Jay is gone. I really liked that morning show.

More Matt Liebl is a good thing - that guy is incredibly knowledgeable about nearly every sport.

As for the post game, Rick Ralph does do a fantastic job handling oddball callers. Love listening to him. Wazny, on the other hand, offers absolutely nothing but negativity. Wazny could win the dream home in a hospital lottery, and would complain about the property taxes he would have to pay.

Moe Mantha is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:35 AM
  #5
Prot
Registered User
 
Prot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 744
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Willing to bet 90% of the "crazy callers" are members of this board since after a loss most are crying end of the world and for so-and-so's head.

I agree, while his opinions differ sometimes, Rick Ralph does a fine job of dealing with the fools.

You do realize you just inadvertently called members of this board 'fools' right?

Seriously though I personally don't think most of the callers are from this board. There's 2-3 real loons that seem to call every show and say the most ridiculous stuff. I think those guys give the majority a bad name.

I never found Jay and myself in agreement on a lot of things but he was definitely great at moderation in a radio setting. He kept it rolling, light hearted and had a good sense of humour.

They will have to replace him because they really don't have something like that in the studio right now.

Good luck to Jay.

Prot is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:35 AM
  #6
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Willing to bet 90% of the "crazy callers" are members of this board since after a loss most are crying end of the world and for so-and-so's head.

I agree, while his opinions differ sometimes, Rick Ralph does a fine job of dealing with the fools.
I used to get bugged at how he always sounded condescending and demeaning...but I realize that's how he sounds with everyone regardless of their input.

Also, the callers are always on either extreme end of the spectrum and you almost need a somewhat boring guy to be the one answering the calls.

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:40 AM
  #7
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,262
vCash: 1250
Here is something I don't understand; how can any of you listen to the Big Show - given that Troy Westwood is on there? I'm quite sure that his football commentary might indeed be great, but having a punter pontificate all winter about a sport he clearly knows little about is frankly embarrassing. Westwood is the reason I don't even bother to tune into 1290 during the early hours. Half the time he can barely finish a sentence, his diction is so stilted much of the time.

I understand he is popular with many here and he might be a great guy in person; can't for the life of me understand his popularity on that program though. Perhaps 1290 would be best served to have someone with an actual hockey background in that position during the winter and move Westwood instead into football-based programming?

Also, those callers... yikes.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:44 AM
  #8
SCP Guy
Registered User
 
SCP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Peg
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 50
The news about Jay sucks (He was really good)......wonder what went down?????

SCP Guy is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:47 AM
  #9
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Here is something I don't understand; how can any of you listen to the Big Show - given that Troy Westwood is on there? I'm quite sure that his football commentary might indeed be great, but having a punter pontificate all winter about a sport he clearly knows little about is frankly embarrassing. Westwood is the reason I don't even bother to tune into 1290 during the early hours. Half the time he can barely finish a sentence, his diction is so stilted much of the time.

I understand he is popular with many here and he might be a great guy in person; can't for the life of me understand his popularity on that program though. Perhaps 1290 would be best served to have someone with an actual hockey background in that position during the winter and move Westwood instead into football-based programming?

Also, those callers, yikes.
We've all heard former hockey players talk about hockey. They're boring and spew the same boring hockey lingo we've heard a million times before. If they aren't a member of the Jets or doing analysis during a live sports broadcast...I don't want my talk show guys to be hockey players.

That being said, I do agree that it is a bit hard to listen to Westwood when he starts to speak about hockey as if he's coming from a place of superior knowledge, never mind Baseball. As long as he qualifies his outrageous statements I don't mind it, but once in a while he needs to check himself and realize that he's only an ex punter/placekicker.

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:49 AM
  #10
Moe Mantha
Registered User
 
Moe Mantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 785
vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
The news about Jay sucks (He was really good)......wonder what went down?????
I have no idea, but for a while now I've wondered how he's managed early mornings on 1290 with late nights announcing at Jets games. I would be exhausted!

Moe Mantha is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:52 AM
  #11
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
We've all heard former hockey players talk about hockey. They're boring and spew the same boring hockey lingo we've heard a million times before. If they aren't a member of the Jets or doing analysis during a live sports broadcast...I don't want my talk show guys to be hockey players.

That being said, I do agree that it is a bit hard to listen to Westwood when he starts to speak about hockey as if he's coming from a place of superior knowledge, never mind Baseball. As long as he qualifies his outrageous statements I don't mind it, but once in a while he needs to check himself and realize that he's only an ex punter/placekicker.
I'm pretty sure he played for the Fury too.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:53 AM
  #12
Jetty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
No more Jay? Sorry to hear this! He made the big show somewhat legitimate. (outside of their guests)

I can tolerate Westwood when he has good Bomber insight but otherwise it is like listening to my Mom talk about the Jets. I really wish TSN 1290 would up their game in the mornings and deliver a more professional panel. I don't care much for tomfoolery, would rather see them focus on other Canadian NHL stories if it is a slow Jets or Bombers day. At least that is what I would expect from the TSN brand...

Jetty is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:03 AM
  #13
Darth Handsome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
I didn't like Jay at first but he grew on me over time. Westwood's inability to express himself....and such....is pretty funny. Leibl is a cheese-ball who I have no interest in listening to, and his voice is perfectly suited for a mime artist.

Darth Handsome is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:06 AM
  #14
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!
 
veganhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Westwood - for all his flaws at least has a knowledge of how pro sports works

Richardson - absolute bonehead offers nothing other than taking the opposite opinion of the other two guys at every opportunity

Wazny - I hope he stays for a long time he offers a realist opinion the last thing we need is another talking head pumping the Jets tires at every turn and further deluding the fans to believe the team and every player on it is better than they really are


Last edited by veganhunter: 01-13-2014 at 02:28 PM.
veganhunter is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:10 AM
  #15
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'm pretty sure he played for the Fury too.
I had completely forgotten about the Winnipeg Fury until you mentioned that

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:11 AM
  #16
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post

Wazny - I hope he stay for a long time he offers a realist opinion the last thing we need is another talking head pumping the Jets tires at every turn and further deluding the fans to believe the team and every player on it is better than they really are
...Name all the talking heads that pump the Jets tires unnecessarily?

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:11 AM
  #17
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Not a fan of Westwood and I used to like Libel before he started to talk all the time. Jay was the one with a decent knowledge of the game and was a funny guy so created a good dynamic.

Now its hard to listen to the only show I really like anymore is H&L I wish they still had Jim Rome on it was nice to get some different sports talk for a few hours so you didnt hear the same stories all day

Tdoe42 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:17 AM
  #18
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
Not a fan of Westwood and I used to like Libel before he started to talk all the time. Jay was the one with a decent knowledge of the game and was a funny guy so created a good dynamic.

Now its hard to listen to the only show I really like anymore is H&L I wish they still had Jim Rome on it was nice to get some different sports talk for a few hours so you didnt hear the same stories all day
Jim Rome's fine as long as you like hearing about the NBA and LeBron James during the winter.

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:21 AM
  #19
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Jim Rome's fine as long as you like hearing about the NBA and LeBron James during the winter.
You know what man.... I do.

I get Non Stop hockey talk and its nice to break it up for a bit but they mostly talk about NFL and im a big fan so its nice

In fact I listen to Vancouver's secondary sports station Team 1410 its like the old Sports Radio 1290 Mike n Mike in the morning and Rome in the afternoon

Tdoe42 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:22 AM
  #20
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!
 
veganhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
...Name all the talking heads that pump the Jets tires unnecessarily?
Pretty much all of them, not lately of course but that would be hard to justify. Go back and listen to some of the archived podcasts and some of the ridiculous proclamations about this team.

The constant pumping of Noel's tires I find sickening as well, he was an ok coach at best, he had some funny soundbites, but these guys act like we fired Scotty Bowman after a 15 year coaching tenure with Jets.


Last edited by veganhunter: 01-13-2014 at 02:28 PM.
veganhunter is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
  #21
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
You know what man.... I do.

I get Non Stop hockey talk and its nice to break it up for a bit but they mostly talk about NFL and im a big fan so its nice

In fact I listen to Vancouver's secondary sports station Team 1410 its like the old Sports Radio 1290 Mike n Mike in the morning and Rome in the afternoon
I love NFL talk and I don't mind college sports talk...

but brother, as soon as they start talking about the NBA I tune out so hard it's not even funny.

In three more weeks it'll be all NBA, all the time.

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
  #22
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Pretty much all of them, not lately of course but that would be hard to justify. Go back and listen to some of the archived podcasts and some of the ridiculous proclamations about this team.

The constant pumping of Noel's tires I find sickening as well, he was an ok coach at best, he had some funny soundbites, but these guys act like we fired Scotty Bowman after a 15 coaching tenure with Jets.
Well...it's not Rick Ralph or Adam Wazny. It's DEFINITELY not Hustler and Lawless. It's maybe the guys on the morning show once in a while, based on a winning streak...but they don't take long to flip the switch and be debbie downers either, so I hardly count them as tire pumpers.

So who is it? The illegal curve guys? Not really. They're pretty fair and balanced, imo.

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:30 AM
  #23
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
I love NFL talk and I don't mind college sports talk...

but brother, as soon as they start talking about the NBA I tune out so hard it's not even funny.

In three more weeks it'll be all NBA, all the time.
It an easier way of following the story lines without having to watch the games

Tdoe42 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:36 AM
  #24
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
It an easier way of following the story lines without having to watch the games
lol good call. Wake me up when the Raptors have made it to the post-season.

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 11:37 AM
  #25
Jetty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Rick Ralph does a great job. He has years of experience in the TO sports radio market and it shows.

H&L is hands down the best sports radio show in this market. Hustler makes the show and Gary has grown leaps and bounds VS the CJOB days.

For some reason I find it tough to listen to Matt Liebel. He tries hard, I just find it tough to take him serious.

Jetty is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.