1290 am

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 05:24 PM
DancesWithWookies

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
Jay shut his twitter acct down. I actually noticed that yesterday morning and thats really when I started to think something was up. I was under the impression he was supposed to be back on the show today post vacation but Ralph mentioned yesterday that it would be Matt, Troy and Brandon on the show again this morn. I went to send Jay a "what's up?" msg and found his twitter was gone.
The show is just not the same without him. I listen to it every day. They had good chemistry. I wonder if Jay wanted to leave but I can't imagine why he would its a pretty good job. And if he left why shut down his twitter, he could have just changed the name unless he doesnt want anything to do with the public anymore.

Oh and I'm glad you agree that the illegal curve is awesome. Nothing like Jews talking about hockey on a saturday (And I say that as one of them)

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 01-13-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: QEP
Old
01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
SensibleGuy

vCash: 50
Yeah I'm assuming it's something like that. If it was just a matter of jay deciding to move on I'm sure it would have been talked about on the show and they would have had some sort of send off finale for him. It sucks because it really was the dynamic of the three of them that made the show - they hit upon a really good mix of personalities and it was a lot of fun to listen to. When the noŽl firing was announced yesterday, almost the first thought that came to mind for me was "man I'm glad Jay is back tomorrow. The show is gonna be great!" That was when I started seeing the signs of trouble. Feels sorta like I lost a pal. 😢

Oh well. Life goes on, lol

Old
01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
DancesWithWookies

Quote:
Yeah I'm assuming it's something like that. If it was just a matter of jay deciding to move on I'm sure it would have been talked about on the show and they would have had some sort of send off finale for him. It sucks because it really was the dynamic of the three of them that made the show - they hit upon a really good mix of personalities and it was a lot of fun to listen to. When the noŽl firing was announced yesterday, almost the first thought that came to mind for me was "man I'm glad Jay is back tomorrow. The show is gonna be great!" That was when I started seeing the signs of trouble. Feels sorta like I lost a pal. ��

Same. That sucks I guess you got to be careful on twitter but some people are so sensitive and are just **** disturbers. tsn 1290 going down fast.

Last edited by Doctor No: 01-14-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filters.
Old
01-13-2014, 07:30 PM
EKANE9JETS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Yeah I'm assuming it's something like that. If it was just a matter of jay deciding to move on I'm sure it would have been talked about on the show and they would have had some sort of send off finale for him. It sucks because it really was the dynamic of the three of them that made the show - they hit upon a really good mix of personalities and it was a lot of fun to listen to. When the noŽl firing was announced yesterday, almost the first thought that came to mind for me was "man I'm glad Jay is back tomorrow. The show is gonna be great!" That was when I started seeing the signs of trouble. Feels sorta like I lost a pal. ��

BUT, you cant go around talking to people however you want especially on radio perception is EVERYTHING, because you have no face. Also he probably deleted his twitter to have no affiliation with 1290---classic signs of a termination.

OF COURSE......this is ENTIRELY, speculative...

Last edited by Killion: 01-14-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Qtd delete...
Old
01-13-2014, 08:53 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

I love listening to 1290. Listen to it pretty much all day. Don't have complaints about any of the personalities. I think each person has something different to add.

Just like EKane9Jets, I too thought Jay was on an extended vacation or something...because he did seem to take a lot of vacations. Must be tough to have a morning and night shift like he does. Wonder if the lack of sleep is why he left. And possibly why he was snarky with callers on occasion.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Babooch

Interesting, I might start listening to TBS again, I found Richardson completely annoying, especially the forced laughter at his own words. Liebl is smart and can carry the show. To paraphrase Steve Martin, Westwood 'does not have way' with words, but his passion makes up for it.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:47 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

People actually LIKE 1290 analysts and hosts? It's like listening to meatheads at the local pub.

Game staff excluded.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:50 PM
DancesWithWookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
People actually 1290 analysts and hosts? It's like listening to meatheads at the local pub.

Game staff excluded.
People actually 1290 analysts, your right.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:51 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
People actually 1290 analysts, your right.
dunno what you are talking about my post is fine.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
dunno what you are talking about my post is fine.
lol ok ninja edit

Old
01-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They also have amateur hour aka illegal curve.

Personally gave up on 1290 for the most part and just listen to various hockey podcasts.
I cannot listen to those guys. Can anybody get a show these days? Oh ya thats right, they can.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Tarks
True North

vCash: 60
Still no word on what happened to Jay? I figured someone here would know someone who knows someone who...

Probably safe to assume that he either got fired or quit suddenly. Very strange and it does suck. He made the show IMO.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:52 PM
SensibleGuy

I'm gonna miss his "stoner dude" voice...and his "snooty rich dude" voice...and his "d&d nerd voice"...

Old
01-14-2014, 07:37 PM
kasps

He lost all credibility, when trying to discuss Tim Wakefield's career and said " must have had quite a fastball to have lasted so long in the majors"
Second one, discussing great dynasty's in the NHL , had no clue about the Islanders 4 year run . (I'm not a Islander fan at all ) but if your on Canadian sport's radio , you better not be clued out on a convo discussing Hockey's greatest teams .

Old
01-14-2014, 07:40 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasps View Post
He lost all credibility, when trying to discuss Tim Wakefield's career and said " must have had quite a fastball to have lasted so long in the majors"
Second one, discussing great dynasty's in the NHL , had no clue about the Islanders 4 year run . (I'm not a Islander fan at all ) but if your on Canadian sport's radio , you better not be clued out on a convo discussing Hockey's greatest teams .
Wakefield fastball?
oh my.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:53 PM
seasontixholder

vCash: 576
If he was fired, it must have been pretty bad. Remember Hustler gave the cam at the MTSC the finger, and yet he still has a job. Glad he still has his job though. Hustler is great!

Old
01-14-2014, 08:04 PM
nintendo nerd

Matt Leibl is a great host, given that he is only 28 years old. He can talk a lot about other different sports where others just stay silent.

Troy Westwood also manages to keep the show interesting and brings some good angles. Today he spoke a little about Joe Paopao. As a bonus he is involved on twitter which is great.

The 3rd guy is a Flyers fan.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Bristo

I think they do need to hire someone to round out the Leibl/Westwood trio, and I don't think the current guy with them is the answer.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Way to put words into my mouth. I like some semblance of realism, I don't need the glass half full version from every member of the media covering the Jets.

BTW being realistic and presenting things factually without sugar coating does not make you a hater. The whole notion that if you say anything negative about someone or something you are immediately branded a hater is unbelievably stupid.
It is only as stupid as being g entirely glass full or entirely empty. I dislike want because as others have stated I fins him just as far from "realism" as your aforementioned homers, merely the other direction.

Some people seem easily mislead to believing equally negative from center is somehow more credible then the positive, which doesn't make sense.

Hate wazny. Hate blind honerism too. I like Matt as he clearly does research. Jay just took the opposite angle (definetlt heard him argue both sides of a discussion within two days) but he was definitely the "entertainment" part. I like troy a bit too due to his interest in stats and he at least does research though I have two issues

1,hes not a hockey guy. Now he does some work so that's good but he's no different then A super fan for the most part.

2. He knows locker rooms but he gets really stuck on "character". Like REALLy stuck on it. I get the feeling he'd rather have a team of all bottom Sixer's and real "physical" dmen regardless of how talentless/ineffective they are.

Don't care who they get but I won't miss jay from a sports perspective, humor though, I'll give him that.

Old
01-15-2014, 08:28 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
It is only as stupid as being g entirely glass full or entirely empty. I dislike want because as others have stated I fins him just as far from "realism" as your aforementioned homers, merely the other direction.

Some people seem easily mislead to believing equally negative from center is somehow more credible then the positive, which doesn't make sense.

Hate wazny. Hate blind honerism too. I like Matt as he clearly does research. Jay just took the opposite angle (definetlt heard him argue both sides of a discussion within two days) but he was definitely the "entertainment" part. I like troy a bit too due to his interest in stats and he at least does research though I have two issues

1,hes not a hockey guy. Now he does some work so that's good but he's no different then A super fan for the most part.

2. He knows locker rooms but he gets really stuck on "character". Like REALLy stuck on it. I get the feeling he'd rather have a team of all bottom Sixer's and real "physical" dmen regardless of how talentless/ineffective they are.

Don't care who they get but I won't miss jay from a sports perspective, humor though, I'll give him that.
I said I like realism. I don't need the glass half full version from EVERYBODY doesn't mean I completely reject the glass half full opinion. I do find a good portion of the staff to be awfully homerish but that doesn't mean they are wrong all the time.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
I said I like realism. I don't need the glass half full version from EVERYBODY doesn't mean I completely reject the glass half full opinion. I do find a good portion of the staff to be awfully homerish but that doesn't mean they are wrong all the time.
Fair enough, merely my point was I find wazny so far to the negative that he's incorrect just as often as the extrodinarily homerish folks.

It's the same crap. I also find him terrible in delivery and backing up his points. He'll often say whats bad (and be correct), but rarely does he provide any insight into the matter.

I dislike a lot of winnipegs media. To be fair, i'd probably dislike most sports media in other cities if I listened, I have no benchmark.

I don't think i'm the common denominator and therefor very few discussions, arguments, and formats are targeted to me. I find most of them insulting. I think the sports show I want to hear would be considered terribly boring to most folks.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:54 PM
SensibleGuy

well, I'll tell you one thing - The Big Show ain't what it used to be. I don't have anything at all against the guys doing the show...in fact I'm kind of a Westwood fan too, but they sure miss Jay. There's no spark anymore...

Old
01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
nic16
Rookie User

Move Hustler to the morning show, and steal Toth from CJOB and stick him with Lawless.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Dirty30

As long as they don't add Dave Wheeler or Ace Burpee I'll continue to listen. Add either of them and I will never listen again

Old
01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
puck stoppa

Why does it seem as tho CJOB has better guys to cover the Jets, Toth and Moore. Those two are better then Ralph and Lawless. I like Hustler tho.

Closed Thread