HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1290 am

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2014, 02:43 PM
  #76
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Why does it seem as tho CJOB has better guys to cover the Jets, Toth and Moore. Those two are better then Ralph and Lawless. I like Hustler tho.
Cause they can afford better talent? CJOB is the most listened to station in Winnipeg. 1290 is 13th.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 02:44 PM
  #77
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Cause they can afford better talent? CJOB is the most listened to station in Winnipeg. 1290 is 13th.
Ya, youre right. Too bad we had to stick with TSN for radio too.

puck stoppa is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 03:18 PM
  #78
YetAnotherGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Cause they can afford better talent? CJOB is the most listened to station in Winnipeg. 1290 is 13th.
No wonder they are 13th. I have tuned into 1290 and I find myself switching over to other channels very frequently.

- Too many ads. For example with H&L I timed it one day, it took 10mins after the show started to actually get to the first topic of the day. Lots of filling time with fluff
- I guess they love their NFL and betting... it gets annoying after a while. But they probably have a fair share of fans that want it.

Not sure for how much longer TSN1290 has rights to the jets games.

YetAnotherGM is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 03:20 PM
  #79
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherGM View Post
No wonder they are 13th. I have tuned into 1290 and I find myself switching over to other channels very frequently.

- Too many ads. For example with H&L I timed it one day, it took 10mins after the show started to actually get to the first topic of the day. Lots of filling time with fluff
- I guess they love their NFL and betting... it gets annoying after a while. But they probably have a fair share of fans that want it.

Not sure for how much longer TSN1290 has rights to the jets games.
Wouldnt be surprised if it is as long as the tv deal.
If that is the case then another 7 seasons

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 03:27 PM
  #80
Moe Mantha
Registered User
 
Moe Mantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
CJOB isn't much better with ads. Plus, you have to put up with coverage of the 'softwood lumber debate'.

Moe Mantha is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 03:50 PM
  #81
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWoodballs View Post
Wouldnt be surprised if it is as long as the tv deal.
If that is the case then another 7 seasons
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was part and parcel with the TV deal.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 03:53 PM
  #82
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
CJOB isn't much better with ads. Plus, you have to put up with coverage of the 'softwood lumber debate'.
No kidding, a CJOB listener complaining about ads on another radio station, now I've heard everything!

sipowicz is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 04:09 PM
  #83
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,936
vCash: 500
Its hard for me to believe CJOB is still #1. Have you listened to that station lately?? OMG. Adler has lost his national show and is back to doing a morning thing. They've got what sounds like a high school girl doing an afternoon show and it is relentlessly boring. Then there's The Nightowl. The weekend is full of paid adverts pretending to be shows as well as gardening and financial advise shows. Its brutal! I don't know if "investigative reporter" Richard Cloutier is still on air at all but even he might be better in the afternoon. I like Toth and Moore ok, but I don't think they are all that much better than H&L and there's NOTHING else on the station I care about when its not Bomber season. I'll gladly take 1290 over CJOB all day long...

SensibleGuy is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 04:47 PM
  #84
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,936
vCash: 500
hah, I didn't realize Jay's twitter run-in was with the "Yooooooouuuuuuu'llll find us" guy. That guy totally seems like the sort of person who would get someone fired over a twitter argument.

SensibleGuy is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 05:22 PM
  #85
troubabooster
Registered User
 
troubabooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stonewall
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
Its hard for me to believe CJOB is still #1. Have you listened to that station lately?? OMG. Adler has lost his national show and is back to doing a morning thing. They've got what sounds like a high school girl doing an afternoon show and it is relentlessly boring. Then there's The Nightowl. The weekend is full of paid adverts pretending to be shows as well as gardening and financial advise shows. Its brutal! I don't know if "investigative reporter" Richard Cloutier is still on air at all but even he might be better in the afternoon. I like Toth and Moore ok, but I don't think they are all that much better than H&L and there's NOTHING else on the station I care about when its not Bomber season. I'll gladly take 1290 over CJOB all day long...
Undoubtedly, CJOB has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy way too many ads. I won't listen to them for that reason alone.

I Listen to 1290 every day back & forth from work. Have a few peaves for sure, but the increasing number of ads is concerning. Pet pieve is that they call themselves "all sports all the time" yet they feel a need to do occasional weather, traffic and even a business report! Combine those with accompanying ads and you may as well switch the channel for 5-10 minutes every time they go to ads.

troubabooster is online now  
Old
01-16-2014, 05:24 PM
  #86
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
Undoubtedly, CJOB has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy way too many ads. I won't listen to them for that reason alone.

I Listen to 1290 every day back & forth from work. Have a few peaves for sure, but the increasing number of ads is concerning. Pet pieve is that they call themselves "all sports all the time" yet they feel a need to do occasional weather, traffic and even a business report! Combine those with accompanying ads and you may as well switch the channel for 5-10 minutes every time they go to ads.
I am not up on my radio regulations by any stretch
But are not mandated to do that stuff?

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 05:26 PM
  #87
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 500
Which one has beefs and bouquets?

I'll give my support to that one.

GrandChelems is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 05:28 PM
  #88
troubabooster
Registered User
 
troubabooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stonewall
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWoodballs View Post
I am not up on my radio regulations by any stretch
But are not mandated to do that stuff?
mandated to do a business report!! really don't have issue with the weather and traffic, but what does a business report have to do with sports.

troubabooster is online now  
Old
01-16-2014, 05:30 PM
  #89
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
mandated to do a business report!! really don't have issue with the weather and traffic, but what does a business report have to do with sports.
I thought had to have certain amount of news content.
Like I said I don't know my radio regulations.

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 09:23 PM
  #90
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Yeah, really wish Toth would jump over to 1290. Him, Hustler and (sometimes) Lawless were on the Shaw Sunday NFL ticket Show for a number of years.

drumzan is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 09:51 PM
  #91
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Yeah, really wish Toth would jump over to 1290. Him, Hustler and (sometimes) Lawless were on the Shaw Sunday NFL ticket Show for a number of years.
Toth is good, he won't be in this market for long,

sipowicz is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 10:59 PM
  #92
seasontixholder
Registered User
 
seasontixholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
I've been down south for a month so I haven't listened, but I just opened TSN 1290 radio online and it still says Jay, Troy and Matt. Maybe just suspension?

seasontixholder is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 11:35 PM
  #93
Jetsfan79
Registered User
 
Jetsfan79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
I've been down south for a month so I haven't listened, but I just opened TSN 1290 radio online and it still says Jay, Troy and Matt. Maybe just suspension?
Probably haven't gotten around to updating it. Troy Westwood tweeted Jay has indeed parted ways with 1290.

Could be wrong here, but I have noticed some friction between Troy and Jay in the last few months. I also noticed Jay was a little negative/uncommitted somewhat during his last 2 weeks. I remember he would often cut callers short (more that he usually does) and Troy would constantly try to slow him down and made sure the caller had fair amount of feedback. I just had this "lets get this over with" feeling from Jay.


Last edited by Jetsfan79: 01-16-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Jetsfan79 is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 06:55 AM
  #94
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,936
vCash: 500
Well, Jay had lost all patience for Gregory's lunacy I admit that much. But so have I so I loved it...in fact Jay's response to callers usually mimicked my own feelings. He usually shut them down right around the time I thought "this guy is an idiot, cut him off." I agree though that his last week or so he seemed a little off...when did that twitter war occur? Perhaps he was already aware trouble was brewing.

SensibleGuy is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
  #95
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,573
vCash: 500
Yeah, what happened with the Twitter war?

Samcanadian is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 12:24 PM
  #96
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,936
vCash: 500
Oh Ralphie. Yesterday he started discussing some tweets from an Edmonton contact about a couple breaking up at the next table in a coffee shop. He's still on it today. Apparently theres "lots of interest" in the story so he's going to be talking to Ms Lonelyhearts from the freep soon.

...sheesh.

SensibleGuy is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 12:36 PM
  #97
nintendo nerd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
The city is relatively a small pond with only one major sports team, and if there is sports talk all day, it has probably led to oversaturation of some topics. What do you think when radio station leaves before commercial break with a cliffhanger news story? Thanks to Twitter and FoxSports1 the night before, I already know all of the news stories.

But I am quite surprised they are only 13th. TSN has a great track of being successful. I expect them to move up the rankings considerably throughout 2014.

nintendo nerd is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 02:13 PM
  #98
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Yeah, what happened with the Twitter war?
Looks to me like Jay got into it with the Best Sleep Center dude and it got him turfed.

SensibleGuy is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 02:22 PM
  #99
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
Looks to me like Jay got into it with the Best Sleep Center dude and it got him turfed.
"You'll find us"? lol What about?

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-17-2014, 02:32 PM
  #100
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn
 
maximus tacitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Clutchinsonville
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
"You'll find us"? lol What about?
I remember a tweet from awhile ago where Jay said he sounded like an idiot or something

and I'm pretty sure Sleep Centre guy is huge into local charities and even has a successful one of his own

maximus tacitus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.