Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 02:43 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Why does it seem as tho CJOB has better guys to cover the Jets, Toth and Moore. Those two are better then Ralph and Lawless. I like Hustler tho.
Cause they can afford better talent? CJOB is the most listened to station in Winnipeg. 1290 is 13th.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:44 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Cause they can afford better talent? CJOB is the most listened to station in Winnipeg. 1290 is 13th.
Ya, youre right. Too bad we had to stick with TSN for radio too.

Old
01-16-2014, 03:18 PM
YetAnotherGM

Quote:
No wonder they are 13th. I have tuned into 1290 and I find myself switching over to other channels very frequently.

- Too many ads. For example with H&L I timed it one day, it took 10mins after the show started to actually get to the first topic of the day. Lots of filling time with fluff
- I guess they love their NFL and betting... it gets annoying after a while. But they probably have a fair share of fans that want it.

Not sure for how much longer TSN1290 has rights to the jets games.

Old
01-16-2014, 03:20 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherGM View Post
No wonder they are 13th. I have tuned into 1290 and I find myself switching over to other channels very frequently.

- Too many ads. For example with H&L I timed it one day, it took 10mins after the show started to actually get to the first topic of the day. Lots of filling time with fluff
- I guess they love their NFL and betting... it gets annoying after a while. But they probably have a fair share of fans that want it.

Not sure for how much longer TSN1290 has rights to the jets games.
Wouldnt be surprised if it is as long as the tv deal.
If that is the case then another 7 seasons

Old
01-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Moe Mantha

CJOB isn't much better with ads. Plus, you have to put up with coverage of the 'softwood lumber debate'.

Old
01-16-2014, 03:50 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWoodballs View Post
Wouldnt be surprised if it is as long as the tv deal.
If that is the case then another 7 seasons
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was part and parcel with the TV deal.

Old
01-16-2014, 03:53 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
CJOB isn't much better with ads. Plus, you have to put up with coverage of the 'softwood lumber debate'.
No kidding, a CJOB listener complaining about ads on another radio station, now I've heard everything!

Old
01-16-2014, 04:09 PM
SensibleGuy

Its hard for me to believe CJOB is still #1. Have you listened to that station lately?? OMG. Adler has lost his national show and is back to doing a morning thing. They've got what sounds like a high school girl doing an afternoon show and it is relentlessly boring. Then there's The Nightowl. The weekend is full of paid adverts pretending to be shows as well as gardening and financial advise shows. Its brutal! I don't know if "investigative reporter" Richard Cloutier is still on air at all but even he might be better in the afternoon. I like Toth and Moore ok, but I don't think they are all that much better than H&L and there's NOTHING else on the station I care about when its not Bomber season. I'll gladly take 1290 over CJOB all day long...

Old
01-16-2014, 04:47 PM
SensibleGuy

hah, I didn't realize Jay's twitter run-in was with the "Yooooooouuuuuuu'llll find us" guy. That guy totally seems like the sort of person who would get someone fired over a twitter argument.

Old
01-16-2014, 05:22 PM
troubabooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
Its hard for me to believe CJOB is still #1. Have you listened to that station lately?? OMG. Adler has lost his national show and is back to doing a morning thing. They've got what sounds like a high school girl doing an afternoon show and it is relentlessly boring. Then there's The Nightowl. The weekend is full of paid adverts pretending to be shows as well as gardening and financial advise shows. Its brutal! I don't know if "investigative reporter" Richard Cloutier is still on air at all but even he might be better in the afternoon. I like Toth and Moore ok, but I don't think they are all that much better than H&L and there's NOTHING else on the station I care about when its not Bomber season. I'll gladly take 1290 over CJOB all day long...
Undoubtedly, CJOB has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy way too many ads. I won't listen to them for that reason alone.

I Listen to 1290 every day back & forth from work. Have a few peaves for sure, but the increasing number of ads is concerning. Pet pieve is that they call themselves "all sports all the time" yet they feel a need to do occasional weather, traffic and even a business report! Combine those with accompanying ads and you may as well switch the channel for 5-10 minutes every time they go to ads.

Old
01-16-2014, 05:24 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
Undoubtedly, CJOB has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy way too many ads. I won't listen to them for that reason alone.

I Listen to 1290 every day back & forth from work. Have a few peaves for sure, but the increasing number of ads is concerning. Pet pieve is that they call themselves "all sports all the time" yet they feel a need to do occasional weather, traffic and even a business report! Combine those with accompanying ads and you may as well switch the channel for 5-10 minutes every time they go to ads.
I am not up on my radio regulations by any stretch
But are not mandated to do that stuff?

Old
01-16-2014, 05:26 PM
GrandChelems

Which one has beefs and bouquets?

I'll give my support to that one.

Old
01-16-2014, 05:28 PM
troubabooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWoodballs View Post
I am not up on my radio regulations by any stretch
But are not mandated to do that stuff?
mandated to do a business report!! really don't have issue with the weather and traffic, but what does a business report have to do with sports.

Old
01-16-2014, 05:30 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
mandated to do a business report!! really don't have issue with the weather and traffic, but what does a business report have to do with sports.
I thought had to have certain amount of news content.
Like I said I don't know my radio regulations.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:23 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Yeah, really wish Toth would jump over to 1290. Him, Hustler and (sometimes) Lawless were on the Shaw Sunday NFL ticket Show for a number of years.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:51 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Yeah, really wish Toth would jump over to 1290. Him, Hustler and (sometimes) Lawless were on the Shaw Sunday NFL ticket Show for a number of years.
Toth is good, he won't be in this market for long,

Old
01-16-2014, 10:59 PM
seasontixholder

I've been down south for a month so I haven't listened, but I just opened TSN 1290 radio online and it still says Jay, Troy and Matt. Maybe just suspension?

Old
01-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Jetsfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
I've been down south for a month so I haven't listened, but I just opened TSN 1290 radio online and it still says Jay, Troy and Matt. Maybe just suspension?
Probably haven't gotten around to updating it. Troy Westwood tweeted Jay has indeed parted ways with 1290.

Could be wrong here, but I have noticed some friction between Troy and Jay in the last few months. I also noticed Jay was a little negative/uncommitted somewhat during his last 2 weeks. I remember he would often cut callers short (more that he usually does) and Troy would constantly try to slow him down and made sure the caller had fair amount of feedback. I just had this "lets get this over with" feeling from Jay.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 01-16-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old
01-17-2014, 06:55 AM
SensibleGuy

Well, Jay had lost all patience for Gregory's lunacy I admit that much. But so have I so I loved it...in fact Jay's response to callers usually mimicked my own feelings. He usually shut them down right around the time I thought "this guy is an idiot, cut him off." I agree though that his last week or so he seemed a little off...when did that twitter war occur? Perhaps he was already aware trouble was brewing.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Samcanadian

Yeah, what happened with the Twitter war?

Old
01-17-2014, 12:24 PM
SensibleGuy

Oh Ralphie. Yesterday he started discussing some tweets from an Edmonton contact about a couple breaking up at the next table in a coffee shop. He's still on it today. Apparently theres "lots of interest" in the story so he's going to be talking to Ms Lonelyhearts from the freep soon.

...sheesh.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:36 PM
nintendo nerd

The city is relatively a small pond with only one major sports team, and if there is sports talk all day, it has probably led to oversaturation of some topics. What do you think when radio station leaves before commercial break with a cliffhanger news story? Thanks to Twitter and FoxSports1 the night before, I already know all of the news stories.

But I am quite surprised they are only 13th. TSN has a great track of being successful. I expect them to move up the rankings considerably throughout 2014.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:13 PM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Yeah, what happened with the Twitter war?
Looks to me like Jay got into it with the Best Sleep Center dude and it got him turfed.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:22 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
Looks to me like Jay got into it with the Best Sleep Center dude and it got him turfed.
"You'll find us"? lol What about?

Old
01-17-2014, 02:32 PM
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn

Quote:
"You'll find us"? lol What about?
I remember a tweet from awhile ago where Jay said he sounded like an idiot or something

and I'm pretty sure Sleep Centre guy is huge into local charities and even has a successful one of his own

Closed Thread