HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Aittokallio

Old
01-13-2014, 03:01 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

vCash: 500
Finnish goalies are always good, therefore Sami will be good. I want to see him start a game or two.

The Pwnerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

I would love to see Sami get a game or two since he didn't get to finish against LA last season. Interesting to see him called up over Pickard. Could mean Aittokallio is higher on the depth chart then Pickard, could mean they figure Pickard has higher potential so they want him to get more games with Lake Erie while Aittokallio rides the pine. At any rate I hope Sami takes full advantage of this experience.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:25 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I'm pretty sure that Aitto is #3 on the depth chart right now and passed Pickard in camp. Roy raved about him and he was the last goalie sent down. Aitto has played as good in Lake Erie as Pickard this year. Pickard was the #3 last year shown by the number of times he was called up to back up last year. I would say the situation is fluid, but Aitto is the #3 right now.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
Finnish goalies are always good, therefore Sami will be good. I want to see him start a game or two.
Unless their name is Vesa Toskala. Good for Sami, they should start him against the Devils.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:59 PM
chet1926

I think they went with Sami as he has a similar playing style to Varly which should make it easier on everyone if he were to play a game. This is why I think he will be the backup here next season as well.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Sami at the current time is the "starter" in Lake Erie. It's a fluid situation until one has a bad game and then the other one becomes the "starter". I always thought Roy would call up Sami, being the last one sent down indicated that. Sami has some focus issues sometime. Let's in very early or late period goals but he's also stood on his head quite a few times lately.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Foppa2118

If Sami has a decent game, I expect him to be dealt at the deadline in a package deal for a defenseman. Or possibly an NHL forward if they make a separate D trade.

There's a few teams like Buffalo and Winnipeg that could be looking to make moves, and are looking for young goaltending help. The Avs seem pretty happy with Varly, and have some decent prospects who might be close in Aitto and Pickard, along with Martin for potential down the road. They can easily give up one of them, and Aitto probably has the most value.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
Toskala says hi.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
Toskala says hi.
Even he was good for a little while.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
Toskala says hi.
All the cool kids say Toskala, Vesa.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Even he was good for a little while.
Fine, Ari Ahonen,Noronen,Toivonen and the great Nittymaki.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

It's time to start looking at nursing home for JSG.

Jeff_Dyck_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:07 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post
It's time to start looking at nursing home for JSG.
Hopefully the nursing home accepts 18 year old residents too

Old
01-13-2014, 06:09 PM
TheStranger

This won't go over well, but I'm hoping this is the beginning of the end for Giguere. I know he's great for Varly or whatever, but he's done.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:13 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

Aitto literally has infinite more NHL experience than Pickard

Hope he starts against the Devs, he was solid in his one game up here, until he got injured which must have sucked for the kid.

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
AvsfanJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
If Sami has a decent game, I expect him to be dealt at the deadline in a package deal for a defenseman. Or possibly an NHL forward if they make a separate D trade.

There's a few teams like Buffalo and Winnipeg that could be looking to make moves, and are looking for young goaltending help. The Avs seem pretty happy with Varly, and have some decent prospects who might be close in Aitto and Pickard, along with Martin for potential down the road. They can easily give up one of them, and Aitto probably has the most value.
This would really upset me. I would much rather ship out Pickard or Milan. Aitto has been my favorite goalie prospect for us since they all came into the system.

AvsfanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Trade Aittokallio? Rather not. Buffalo doesn't need him as they have Enroth and Hackett plus Makarov. Winnipeg maybe but would rather not give them a goalie I believe can become a legitimate starting goalie in a few years.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Drury_Sakic

I would be SHOCKED if the Avs do not trade 2 of the 4 goalies in the system at the deadline. It is bad asset management to hold onto all four guys with Varly and Giggy already locked into the roster. If Giggy can regain some form in the 2nd half, I think odds are decent that both he and Varly return next season as well.

I just do not see the Avs putting a young guy behind Varly on the bench next year. Maybe in another season or so once Varly really locks into the starter role, a younger guy can be the backup...but for this year and next year a vet behind Varly is the right call.

That said, I wonder what the interest would be from a true contender about getting Giggy at the deadline, or the flipside a team rebuilding with the hope of an untested guy getting his first go next year or at the end of this year.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:29 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Jiggy has a no trade clause and MacKinnon lives with him, he's not going anywhere. He's a leader on the team. He's staying until he retires. I doubt any goalie prospects get moved either. The Monsters and Cutthroats need goalies plus there needs to be goalies in the system for injury. They are all developing just fine. It's not impossible one gets moved but two, no way.

Been thinking about Sami getting called up. Wonder if it's more giving Jiggy a rest than anything. He didn't play the back to back to begin with. If Roy wasn't going to use him any time soon then why not give Sami a look?

Old
01-13-2014, 09:37 PM
AvsfanJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Jiggy has a no trade clause and MacKinnon lives with him, he's not going anywhere. He's a leader on the team. He's staying until he retires. I doubt any goalie prospects get moved either. The Monsters and Cutthroats need goalies plus there needs to be goalies in the system for injury. They are all developing just fine. It's not impossible one gets moved but two, no way.

Been thinking about Sami getting called up. Wonder if it's more giving Jiggy a rest than anything. He didn't play the back to back to begin with. If Roy wasn't going to use him any time soon then why not give Sami a look?
I don't think its to give Jiggy rest, he hasnt played in quite a whille. But I do hope Sami gets to play. Varly against Chicago and then Sami against Jersey would be ideal. Since Roy likes to make sure players are 100% before coming back, I can see him making Jiggy stay out for a bit. Which opens the door for Sami. Even if Sami plays Nashville I'm alright with that. One of two teams with little firepower would be great for his first start.

AvsfanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
I would be SHOCKED if the Avs do not trade 2 of the 4 goalies in the system at the deadline. It is bad asset management to hold onto all four guys with Varly and Giggy already locked into the roster. If Giggy can regain some form in the 2nd half, I think odds are decent that both he and Varly return next season as well.

I just do not see the Avs putting a young guy behind Varly on the bench next year. Maybe in another season or so once Varly really locks into the starter role, a younger guy can be the backup...but for this year and next year a vet behind Varly is the right call.

That said, I wonder what the interest would be from a true contender about getting Giggy at the deadline, or the flipside a team rebuilding with the hope of an untested guy getting his first go next year or at the end of this year.
No it wouldn't be. The avs have no idea what they have in Pickard/Aitto, let alone other NHL teams. They hold little value and won't get much for them. If you package them with another (better) piece the avs are better off getting rid of 3rd/4th rounders than prospect goalies. The avs have one move in terms of their goalers, keep them until A) they play great and teams start calling about them, B) they they suck and stay until they over stay their welcome in the AHL. Either way the time isn't right to move any of them much less both.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Avs aren't going to get anything for them in a trade at this point.

They have three years of waiver exemption still. I would be flabbergasted if either of them is traded this year. It would be a bizarre move by Avs.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Avs aren't going to get anything for them in a trade at this point.

They have three years of waiver exemption still. I would be flabbergasted if either of them is traded this year. It would be a bizarre move by Avs.
I don't think it'd be bizarre at all. Varly has really started to prove his worth as a #1, he's 25 years old, and very well could be about to earn a long term contract from the Avs.

Aitto is a guy that a team might ask for to stockpile their goaltending depth. Not by himself becasue he'd surely return very little value, but if they're looking to move a player for the standard package of an NHLer (McGinn) a prospect (Aitto) and a 1st, or even just as a sweetner to a deal, he very well could be moved out.

They'd still have a 25 year old Varly under contract, and Pickard and Martin in the prospect pool. Plus anyone else Allaire talks them into drafting in the coming years.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Every B or lower prospect or pick can of course be included in a deal. But why exactly would we suspect that a goalie is moved this year, when Avs can let both of them compete in the AHL for the next two and a half years and then keep the better of them?

Trading one of them for peanuts and discovering that he was the guy is the kind of move idiot organizations make.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:57 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Never trade a finish goalie prospect

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote