HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Canucks are the most likely destination for Steve Ott

Old
01-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Habsterix*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Classless One View Post
On Sportsnets trade tracker, they said that Vancouver is the most likely option for Steve Ott. Baseless rumor? or is there some substance behind it, discuss away!
I watched the segment last night and your thread title is totally misleading and untrue. It was one person's opinion (I don't even know his name) that he would be a great fit in Vancouver, while they were also showing 5 other teams where he might be a good fit, including Washington and Colorado amongst others.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Kings' captain is Dustin Brown. He may be the dumbest individual in the NHL... Although he's better at drawing penalties than commiting them admitedly.
What does Dustin Brown have to do with Steve Ott being traded from Buffalo to Vancouver?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:35 AM
odishabs

I compare Ott to Cal Clutterbuck. Think that value, Nino was a struggling prospect. I could see Schroeder, Jensen or Gaunce straight up.

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos

Is Ott really the "put us over the top" player that Vancouver needs? Honest question. I see them needing another top 6 forward to make their offense as potent as their defense.

I proposed Spezza for Edler in the past, don't think it would work now per say, but that's the kind of deal they need to make.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:44 AM
sabrescupbound

I think Ott is more suited to a team that has plenty of offense and wants to get tougher for the playoffs.

sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:46 AM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

As a Sharks fan...****

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I live in Vancouver. I saw the games.

He was given a ton of top six opportunities. He started out great but fizzled out. .

The fact of the matter is that he was not good enough. He might get better, but he is currently a long way from proving himself to be a full time NHLer.

Like I said before, Vancouver has been desperate for offence for a while. If Schroeder was so solid, he'd have been given far more opportunities.
Did I ever say he was "so solid"? I said he had a good rookie campaign, I never said he was the next coming of Crosby. And I highly question whether you watched the games, or just had them on in the background, because what you're saying is incredibly inaccurate.

Schroeder was not given "a ton of top six opportunities." He was 9th in TOI/G and his usual line mates were Raymond and Hansen. He was given 3rd line minutes and some PP time essentially. In a system coached by AV where rookies have to earn every second they get, I'll take that as a massive compliment to Schroeder. He only had 5 games where he was given top 6 minutes, and by that I mean 16+ minutes. In those 5 games he scored 2 goals and 2 assists. If you expand a bit, he had 9 games where he played 15+ minutes, in those 9 games he scored 3 goals and 3 assists. And for the record he had 4 points and was +4 in his last 8 games so I have no idea how you could say he started hot but fizzled.

He was given as much of an opportunity as AV has ever given a rookie, and as much as a rookie should get on a veteran team. When given the opportunity, he seems to have done fairly well with it.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescupbound View Post
I think Ott is more suited to a team that has plenty of offense and wants to get tougher for the playoffs.
Yeah, that's definitely not Vancouver.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Kirk Mclean
The best there is...

Trading assets for Ott would be a really dumb move unless the Canucks also plan on aquiring a 60pt winger and an offensive dman to QB the powerplay, and possibly other pieces as well. This team is not just a deadline deal away from being able to compete in the west.

Kirk Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Did I ever say he was "so solid"? I said he had a good rookie campaign, I never said he was the next coming of Crosby. And I highly question whether you watched the games, or just had them on in the background, because what you're saying is incredibly inaccurate.

Schroeder was not given "a ton of top six opportunities." He was 9th in TOI/G and his usual line mates were Raymond and Hansen. He was given 3rd line minutes and some PP time essentially. In a system coached by AV where rookies have to earn every second they get, I'll take that as a massive compliment to Schroeder. He only had 5 games where he was given top 6 minutes, and by that I mean 16+ minutes. In those 5 games he scored 2 goals and 2 assists. If you expand a bit, he had 9 games where he played 15+ minutes, in those 9 games he scored 3 goals and 3 assists. And for the record he had 4 points and was +4 in his last 8 games so I have no idea how you could say he started hot but fizzled.

He was given as much of an opportunity as AV has ever given a rookie, and as much as a rookie should get on a veteran team. When given the opportunity, he seems to have done fairly well with it.
He wasn't top six every night, but he had lots of chances.

I was replying to the statement that Schroeder had proven himself as an NHL calibre player. He hasn't, yet.

Edit:

You're also manipulating stats. Schroeder was seventh in time on ice. He didn't play at the same time as Kessler and Roy. He was a substitute for them. Schroeder also did not play on the PK and got over two minutes of PP time per night. So he most certainly did get top six offensive opportunities.

Last edited by blankall: 01-14-2014 at 12:01 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
No interest in Schroeder from this Sabres fan. He's young and has talent but is small and hasn't proven anything at the NHL level. We have enough young, unproven talent in our organization already and we've had size problems for years.

Not to mention, he cleared waivers at least once during the offseason/this season anyway. He's quickly losing value in Vancouver's prospect pool.
Schroeder has not been placed on waivers once

Hansen 36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
No thanks. Gaunce for Ott seems like decent value for both clubs
I'd hate to give up Gaunce although he's not a favorite of many Canuck fans. I suspect he's going to end up being the best of our recent first round picks and I'd like to see him become a big part the Canucks and not the Sabres. He's a very very smart hockey player.

Anyhow, this is what I'd want from the Canucks from the Sabre's point of view.

Would like to add that the Canucks would be stupid to be targeting Steve Ott to improve their team. They need more skill in the lineup not more penalties.

Last edited by quat: 01-14-2014 at 01:23 PM.
quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
neutral*

I think he'd be a great fit in Vancouver. Anyone saying he wouldn't doesn't know what they're talking about. Perfect player for them.

neutral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:08 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
I think he'd be a great fit in Vancouver. Anyone saying he wouldn't doesn't know what they're talking about. Perfect player for them.
OK?

Old
01-14-2014, 02:19 PM
fancouver

Schroeder + 2nd in 2014 should get it done for Ott

Would love to have him in Vancouver as he can suit up anywhere on the roster. Flexbility as center and wing make him a good asset.

Burrows - Ott - Kesler?
Ott - Kesler - Kassian?
Sedin - Sedin - Ott?
Sestito - Ott - Kassian?

He's a crease-crasher, hitter, and shift disturber. Canucks are trying to form a tough, gritty identity under Torts and Ott would be a good match.

fancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Desai87

vCash: 250
LoL at all these Buffalo fans asking for a 1st round pick for Ott. He is a UFA after this season and probably has no interest in resigning with Sabres so they will look to get something in return at the trade deadline.

Pierre Lebron reported today that the Canucks are looking for a 3rd line C and i think Ott would be perfect for that 3C role.

Derek Roy who we got from Dallas last year for a 2nd pick and Kevin Connauton was also going to be a UFA.

No way in hell you get a 1st round pick for Ott.

Desai87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
JohnHodgson

I'd be extremely disappointed if we wasted assets on Ott. We need top six forwards to score, as if the shutout last night wasn't evident enough.

JohnHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B3ast View Post
LoL at all these Buffalo fans asking for a 1st round pick for Ott. He is a UFA after this season and probably has no interest in resigning with Sabres so they will look to get something in return at the trade deadline.

Pierre Lebron reported today that the Canucks are looking for a 3rd line C and i think Ott would be perfect for that 3C role.

Derek Roy who we got from Dallas last year for a 2nd pick and Kevin Connauton was also going to be a UFA.

No way in hell you get a 1st round pick for Ott.
LOL for thinking Ott can't get a first round pick. There will be more than one team interested in him. And a lot of playoff bound teams would want Ott a lot more then a Derek Roy.

Old
01-14-2014, 02:48 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
I'd hate to give up Gaunce although he's not a favorite of many Canuck fans. I suspect he's going to end up being the best of our recent first round picks and I'd like to see him become a big part the Canucks and not the Sabres. He's a very very smart hockey player.

Anyhow, this is what I'd want from the Canucks from the Sabre's point of view.

Would like to add that the Canucks would be stupid to be targeting Steve Ott to improve their team. They need more skill in the lineup not more penalties.
Gaunce is a guy I've followed a lot since his draft year. He's another high effort guy who oozes leadership (much like Girgensons). People will point to his lack of footspeed and that is certainly a concern, but he's 19 years old and it can be worked on. Worst case, I think he becomes a good 3rd line center.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescupbound View Post
LOL for thinking Ott can't get a first round pick. There will be more than one team interested in him. And a lot of playoff bound teams would want Ott a lot more then a Derek Roy.
Vancouver had a greater need for Roy then than they do for Ott right now.

Roy with one year left garnered Ott for 2 years + Adam Pardy. What makes you think Ott as a rental is suddenly worth more than Roy?

Anyways, personally I hope Vancouver doesn't go after Ott. He's not what we need right now.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Bure 10

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mclean View Post
Trading assets for Ott would be a really dumb move unless the Canucks also plan on aquiring a 60pt winger and an offensive dman to QB the powerplay, and possibly other pieces as well. This team is not just a deadline deal away from being able to compete in the west.
so Ott, Moulson(sp) and Ehrhoff?

Matt only cracked 60 once though....

Bure 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:02 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Vancouver had a greater need for Roy then than they do for Ott right now.

Roy with one year left garnered Ott for 2 years + Adam Pardy. What makes you think Ott as a rental is suddenly worth more than Roy?

Anyways, personally I hope Vancouver doesn't go after Ott. He's not what we need right now.
I agree, you guys could use Roy probably more than Ott. And if you were talking a full season of Roy vs a full season of Ott, then yeah, Roy's probably worth a little more. But for a playoff rental, Ott would be almost invaluable to some teams.

Old
01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Sheppy

vCash: 584
He'd fit right in there, that's for sure...

Sheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Bankerguy

I think Ott is an elite 3rd liner.

He's up there with Bolland, Stoll, Nielsen (before nielsen started producing big time #'s), etc.

I'd give up a 1st for him if he can be resigned. The fact Ott can play all three forward positions is nice.

Kassian Ott Hansen - would be hell to play against.
All 3 of them hit hard, hit often and they all have some offensive ability.

Bankerguy is offline   Reply With Quote