HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The truth behind why the Oilers Suck

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2014, 04:05 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

vCash: 500
Deciding to build purely through the draft as if 1-3 overalls were just going to step in and make a difference without have the rest of the team in place.

Second mistake is thinking that they wont trade any of their precious assets.

Should be flipping one or two for a big payoff.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:10 AM
capebretoncanadien

Everyone knows why they suck...

1. D Not just D but team D.Their D is shaky and their big minute forwards are still learning the D-side of things.

2. Goaltending......after Roloson left has been mostly horrendous. Good at times but so inconsistent. Dubnyk will play awesome make 35-40 saves to keep the Oill in a game and then let in a weak wrister from a mile awya at the worst time.Funny to see them bringing in players like LOLbarbera and Bryz and expecting any better.

3. The old boys club.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:16 AM
jgoud*

If you simply look at our roster you'll see why we're sucking. And that goes back to management sitting on their ass and watching us **** the bed for the 5th year in a row.

Looking beyond our top 6, we have the absolute worst 3rd and 4th line depth, no grit, energy or even scoring potential. No leadership whatsoever. Smyth should be fulfilling that role, but when he's the worst player on your team (and close to the worst in the league), it's hard to lead by example. And then you look up the middle and we have no size at all. If RNH is going to be our number 1 C, we need a big #2 C who won't get tossed around, and Gagner is the complete opposite of that.

And then you look at our blueline and it's a ****ing train wreck. Schultz hasn't been sheltered at all and he is terrible in his own end, doesn't even need to take responsibilities for when he ****s up because he'll be out there next shift. Petry is the closest D we have to a top 4, and that's the main problem. There simply isn't enough skill or experience on the backend. We have some good young guys coming up, but we need at least a #2 D to show these younger guys the ropes, as well as hold the D together. N. Schultz, Belov, Petry, J.Shultz, Ference and Larsen doesn't cut it. All except for Petry and Ference (Maybe J. Schultz if he was sheltered) would struggle to compete as the 7th D on any other team. So essentially half our D are #7 D and the other half are #4/#5s, which won't get you far in the NHL.

Then in net we have the worst tandem in the NHL. Bryz is playing alright, but you need someone who has potential for growing and someone you can rely on for in the future. I remember only 15 games into the season, when you simulated all the games we played with a goaltending SV% of only .900, we would have won over half the games we lost. Goaltending isn't the only issue as the D in front of it is awful, but it would be a huge help.

So beyond our top 6, the rest of our team is **** and management isn't doing anything about it, which is extremely annoying as a fan. I understand it's hard finding a #2 D and a goalie for a good price, but the problem of depth in our bottom 6 can easily be solved with minute trades and assets going the other way. Looking at the big picture, MacT has been just useless.

Last edited by jgoud*: 01-14-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old
01-14-2014, 04:16 AM
giddy up*

No. That's not logical.

You can say they're unlucky not to have landed more of a franchise changer.

But that not WHY they suck. They've had top picks 4 YEARS IN A ROW and haven't improved at all.

They suck because of their GM.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:22 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Well due to this thread I can tell that most don't watch the Oilers. We have MAYBE 1 top 4 dman in Petry. We have no goaltending. We have bad depth. We have skilled forwards who can mostly get shut down vs the bigger teams in the pacific. We have an organization who throws players into the fire right away instead of developing them, watches them struggle, then eventually ruins them (Yakupov and J Schultz most recently.)

We have bad scouting who really haven't done anything noteworthy past those 1st overalls (and even in hindsight, taking Yak when we had horrible D looks to be a mistake)- The Oilers only have 2 players on the roster that drafted by them in rounds 2-7: Petry and rookie Dman Martin Marincin.

We have a rookie coach who is in over his head. I know blaming the coach is easy but literally every single player on the Oilers has gotten worse under Eakins, including Hall.

And the reason for all the failures mentioned above: We have a horrible managing group, starting with rich billionare Katz who never makes an appearance or even cares, other than when he threatens to move the team if he doesn't get what he wants. We have Lowe, who has engineered a dynasty of suck so bad that it's almost impressive. Then he hires his buddies from the Old Boys club- MacT, Messier, Howson, Smith, Buchberger, etc. All of those guys except Howson played for the Oilers a couple of decades ago.

If our first overall picks were as good as they are now, and we had actual management and a TEAM of NHLers surrounding them, we'd be in a much better spot. So no, its definitely not because the first overalls aren't good enough.

They could be better, Hall and RNH are tracking really well, and Yak isn't doing too well, but that is the least of the problems and not why we are bad.

It's 50 games into the season and the Oilers team GAA is 3.5
Saying you guys have 1 top 4 d-man is being overly generous as hell.

There are so many problems with the team, picking the wrong people to lead them is one of many as well.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:13 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous028 View Post
The draft ALWAYS looks better next year..
I'm not saying that Hanifin>Ekblad, but he could be. I was skeptical of the hype until I saw him play for US at the U17 Gold medal game. He was very impressive and it's easy to see he has huge potential.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:18 AM
canuckthug16
that's curtains!

I skimmed thru page 1, skipped page 2...
but
Landeskog is > than the Nuge.
Seguin vs HaLL Still debatable.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:19 AM
jgoud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I'm not saying that Hanifin>Ekblad, but he could be. I was skeptical of the hype until I saw him play for US at the U17 Gold medal game. He was very impressive and it's easy to see he has huge potential.
And I'd say Sean Day looks to have the most potential out of all.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:20 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13elieve View Post
What I imagine the yearly management meeting for the Oilers is..

Craig MacTavish: "suck again"
eaking: LOL k
Eakins: I was gonna do that anyway! Great minds.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:57 AM
bacon25

Start with Lowe and work from there, but if the team really was serious about competing than they should have traded the Yapukov pick for a goalie that is more consistent.

Old
01-14-2014, 06:52 AM
SufferingCatFan

The Oilers suffer from piss-poor management. This is a team that supposedly had completed its rebuild and was ready to win this season.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Contrary to rumours it takes every type of players to make a team. I would say the opposite, they've drafted Top players but you can't win with an all-star team with one dimensional young forwards.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Jtown

I disagree OP. There was a great center in 2010 they could have drafted. If they had drafted RNH they would be loaded up the middle. 2012 was an odd draft. The clear cut best player was yakupov but he was not a need. Murray may not even wind up being among the top 3 dmen drafted in that class.

However here are some other areas where the oilers have failed. Every pick outside the first round ( except this year) they have failed. So many high 2nd picks they have not hit on. Anyone can hit on the number 1 pick in the draft but it takes a great organization to hit outside of the first.

Another reason why they dissappoint is because the team has a real lack of talent throughout the organization. Combine that with the division they are in and it is highly unlikely they see the playoffs in the next 2 years unless they make some trades.

Edmonton is also a highly undesirable place for free agents. First off not many great players get to ufa but when they do they will only be able to compete by overpaying (i.e. Clarkson) and even then it won't mean success.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:28 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
They should have traded down for Murray.

If they get the chance, they better draft Ekblad.
No way possible. Murray was CBJ's #1, if they wanted Murray they had to take him 1 and they knew it. They chose Yak

Old
01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Murray may not even wind up being among the top 3 dmen drafted in that class.
Have you seen him this season? The only two that can even sniff his level are Lindholm and Trouba. Rielly will be superior offensively but Murray will be the better player.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:36 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 1562
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
50% of the organisations in the league would pick the Oilers management!!!!

Old
01-14-2014, 08:37 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I love how within one and a half years Nick Schultz goes from being one of the best shot-blocking stay at home defensemen in the league on one team to someone who would "likely not be a 7th defenseman on another team".

Team defense is everything. If you don't have it, I don't care who you have on the blueline, you are going to struggle. The Oilers do not have it.

I watched the goals from the other night against Chicago because Nick was a -3 and I wanted to break down what happened. On one in particular, Eberle waves a stick at a guy, does not backcheck at all, and it ends up basically a 4 on 2 and a Chicago goal.

No commitment to defending at all. The defense gets blamed, when that goal is pretty much 100% on Eberle. No one talks about that because "the kids" are the saviors or supposed to be the saviors of this team.

What the Oil should do is trade one of those one-dimensional players and get in some older forwards who can actually play a 200 foot game.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:40 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's actually a lack of veteran leadership. But yours is a nice theory too.
Also their management seems a little inept.

Frankly with some good decisions they coud be pretty goo in a few years. The #1's aren't dominating the league like some others...yet.

How old are these guys? 20-24? Thornton struggled his first season, so did Stamkos. Sometimes a young player just needs another year or so.Give it time.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

The reason they suck is because they don't have an identity.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Aren't Oilers fans saying Hall is on Tavares's level?

But not up to par with previous #1s?

Old
01-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Have you seen him this season? The only two that can even sniff his level are Lindholm and Trouba. Rielly will be superior offensively but Murray will be the better player.
As a cbj fan i know you are obligated to defend any blue jacket but this is not a blue jacket thread and it is not a murray thread.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

I pretty much agree with the premise of the first post. It's not just talent that they're lacking on D and down the middle though it's also size, toughness and two-way reliability.

How can a top 6 of Hall, Hemsky/Yakupov, Gagner, RNH, Eberle and Perron reliably cycle the puck or prevent another team from cycling the puck? They're too easily pushed around and they don't have the defencemen to cover up for their mistakes.

It's not like their drafting before 2010 was stellar either (outside of Eberle, great pick). I think in 2011 and 2012 they could have looked at moving their pick down for guys like Couturier, Hamilton or Landeskog and Murray or Galchenyuk, and then in 2013 they could have probably gone with Horvat, Wennberg or Lazar who they were supposedly very high on.

A combination of Landeskog/Couturier/Hamilton + Galchenyuk/Murray + Horvat/Wennberg/Lazar would be big in turning their current team identity and play into that of a team that can win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
There are a lot of very good defencemen playing big minutes on their teams from that draft already. Not to mention the ones that haven't even played in the NHL yet with a ton of potential. For example since Ceci has been recalled and calmed down the Ottawa blue-line (as a 19/20 year old) they are 8 - 4 - 3 and he's been arguably their best, most consistent d-man since his call-up. Right now it's very up in the air as to who will be the top 3 D from that draft.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:25 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
Aren't Oilers fans saying Hall is on Tavares's level?

But not up to par with previous #1s?
They are both fantastic players, Tavares is currently a better possession player. I take him for keeping the puck in the O-zone and doing something useful with it. But there are few players in the NHL better than Hall at driving O-zone penetration from the neutral zone.

Last year both played the full (shortened) year. Hall outscored Tavares by 5 points in 2 fewer games. Hall was well over a ppg, Tavares was not (quite). This year Tavares is up on Hall by 13 points in 5 more games played. Both are scoring over a ppg.

Both are considered to have great "intangibles" and are leaders on their teams.

Tavares is a year older.

Totals the last two years:
Tavares: 103pts in 94 games = 1.096
Hall: 93pts in 86 games = 1.081

Both are *predominantly* offensive guys. Tavares is currently better than Hall in his own zone... he's also had another year of having bad habits beat out of him. Both are excellent at driving possession, and making their teammates better and the advanced stats show it.

So I've heard plenty of subjective arguments as to why Hall is "miles behind" Tavares. Some of them might even have some merit, but it's debatable at best because they aren't supported by the stats.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:31 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helton4Hall View Post
The reason they suck is because they don't have an identity.
This is probably the biggest thing, there is seemingly no real grand master plan. They have accumulated talent yet where do they fit in the team concept/style/identity? It's tough to put together a puzzle when you don't know what it's supposed to be when it's finished. They were fortunate to have 3 #1 overall picks and picked the BPA so they seem to be trying to retrofit them all into some sort of cohesive unit rather than build a team according to a blueprint. The sword cuts both ways as #1 overall picks are supposed to be franchise changers so who do you build the team around? There's just so much indecision and instability all over the place. The merry go round of coaches has the players tied in knots. It's just one big nebulous situation in Edmonton. Ownership and management aren't going anywhere, that's the harsh reality.

The Oilers have the assets to reconfigure the team very quickly, another #1 overall could be on the way after this season too. It's great to add that talent, but it also muddies the waters even more. Someone needs to step up and be the alpha dog in the organization, hopefully MacT does. Decide what type of team you want, trade whoever you have to and change the makeup of that team. If it means trading Hall/RNH then you do it. If Hall is the player you want to build around, then do it. If it means trading RNH to get a different type of center to match with Hall, then so be it. Trade Eberle, trade Yakupov, trade whoever. Commit to a cause and get all hands on board because it's your way or the highway.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Drij

Maybe they just suck at player development

Closed Thread