HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks shutout against the Kings: We need a third line centre

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 500
Wrong thread.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Lady Scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
Was a great game to watch, too bad it was refpuck instead of hockey.

I love that the Canucks stood up and actually played physical, including the Sedins. The people I watch hockey with regularly always complain that we have no 'physical presence' like a "McSorley" to protect the team. We have nobody to clear the crease. I try to explain that we have players that can play tough, but don't expect them to put up minutes because the will be in the box the whole night. Kassian with two 10 minute misconducts? I'm not even sure what the second one was for.

This is what happens when referees don't do their jobs in the first place. They let the Kings play when they were running our goalie, taking cheap shots at the Sedins. This game we try to come back and now the referees want to step in. It's interesting that when the Canucks had a good powerplay running at 30%, we would take the powerplays (that eventually stopped coming because game management and league parity) and made them pay. Because of that we were a soft team. Now whenever we try to answer, we get penalized more than the other team and we're dirty. The Canucks can't win in any situation. Just like when Daniel was soft for letting Marchand hit him repeatedly, yet the year prior Daniel tried to fight Bolland and then everyone said that Bolland was in the Sedins' heads and they need to stick to their game.

I just wish for once both teams had the same rulebook to follow. Whether both teams are allowed to play skill games and get powerplays when they get hooked, held, crosschecked and punched (like the Sedins whenever they have the puck below the goal line), or both teams want to goon it up and fight. When we're shorthanded at the beginning of the game, Kings have too many men and then hook Santorelli to the ice. Kings bring the puck back into our end and Henrik gets a hooking penalty. What the hell is that? Very rarely do the Canucks get awarded a 2 man advantage even for a blatant penalty when they are already on the PP. Kings take 2 penalties that should put us at 4 on 4, but instead they call one on Hank to put us 2 men short. Devorski shouldn't be allowed to call Canucks games if hes biased. If he isn't, he should be fired because he's incompetent.

I'm still very glad that we dominated the Kings, but it's also very disappointing we didn't win the game.
Bravo and well said!

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. Reading posts from Kings' fans suggesting that next game, a Duck put a Sedin through the boards at the earliest opportunity and that Perry 'accidentally' keep falling all over the goalie makes my blood boil and I wish I knew how to slough that off....but when you have media and fans going on about how soft and whiny this team is and then in the next breath crowing about what a dirty, cheap shot team this is...... and officials on the ice refusing to deal with crap being dealt to our team and then punishing them with ridiculous calls if they do stand up for themselves and non-calls that could have brought the game back under control...... what exactly is a fan to do?

I was yelling 'Hit him again' during the fights and yes, I laughed when Weisse took out Poughty Doughty's feet..... I cheered on the punches being thrown by our guy pinned on his back to the ice and yeah, I may even have been heard suggesting a goalie bump or two on Quick. Am I proud of that? Not especially but as a fan of many years, I am sick of seeing how my team has been tagged with labels that are so far from the truth it would be funny if it weren't so damned sad.

I, as a fan, am fed up with waiting for officials to call the game with fairness and some sort of competence. There seems to be a very clear double standard in NHL refereeing and I'm tired of it. It's killing the love of the game for me.... and it's not just the Canucks that are getting hosed.

I'm not upset about this loss, not in the least. I think we won........in the area of the game that counts when it comes to team cohesiveness and in the sending of a strong and vociferous message. It may be a different reaction if it comes down to those two points and standings at the end of the season, but for now, KUDOS and THANK YOU to my team for showing themselves and their fans that we are NOT to be trifled with.

Last edited by Lady Scarlet: 01-14-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old
01-14-2014, 01:38 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Honestly I hope the style of play we saw last night is what this team will be going forward. Add some goal scorers to the lineup and we'll be just peachy. I love tough hockey!

Old
01-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Da slew-foot incident that left Drew Pouty upset:

No supplemental discipline for Weise per former Kurtenblogger:
No disciplinary hearing has been scheduled for Vancouver forward Dale Weise following his slew-foot from Monday night on Kings defenseman Drew Doughty, an NHL spokesman confirmed.
Doughty, who went uninjured on the play and didn’t miss a shift, took issue with the play.

“I thought he slew-footed me,” Doughty said, per LA Kings Insider. “It was pretty unnecessary at that point.”
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...hty-slew-foot/

So is it a necessary slew-foot when done by a Kings player?

Old
01-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Proto

It's also not even a slew foot. A slew foot is when you trip a player over your foot and use the momentum to push the player backwards. It's dangerous because you're applying additional downwards force and driving the player into the ice, which increases the risk of injury.

The play by Weise was just a cheap trip. It was cheap -- no disputing that -- but it wasn't a slew foot. If it was an actual slew foot I would have supported Weise getting a suspension.

Old
01-14-2014, 02:39 PM
BassMason

vCash: 833
When you have the best PP in the league you turn the other cheek. When you have the best PK in the league you rip their cheeks off.

Old
01-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Doughty is the biggest hypocrite in hockey, didn't he call the Canucks whiners? The lack of self awareness......

Old
01-14-2014, 02:48 PM
MrShift4
GRRRR.......Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Da slew-foot incident that left Drew Pouty upset:
Slew foot my ass. It was incidental contact as Dale W tried to swim past the INTERFERENCE.

Old
01-14-2014, 03:23 PM
canuckfan75

Sure the canucks stood up for themselves and it was a fun intense game. But the goal of the team is to make the playoffs and try to win 1 round. ( it would be a succesful season as we try and rebuild on the fly) but at the end of the day. The Kings walked out with 2pts and Dustin Brown scored the winner and the mastery of Jonathon Quick continues 4 goals in 4 games vs the Kings is not going to get it done.

Old
01-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
It's also not even a slew foot. A slew foot is when you trip a player over your foot and use the momentum to push the player backwards. It's dangerous because you're applying additional downwards force and driving the player into the ice, which increases the risk of injury.

The play by Weise was just a cheap trip. It was cheap -- no disputing that -- but it wasn't a slew foot. If it was an actual slew foot I would have supported Weise getting a suspension.
Most definitely a slew-foot. Not even debatable.

Rule 52 - Slew-footing
52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.
Here is former referee Paul Stewart analyzing the play and also explaining the Sestito penalties for the Nolan fight.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-...sors/196/57183

Old
01-14-2014, 03:28 PM
LeftCoast

It was definitely a slew foot.

It was also definitely interference - which also went uncalled.

Old
GPNuck

It was definitely a Slew Foot and Doughty was definitely running interference on the play.. I thought it was

pretty funny to watch Doughty cry whine like a baby and the fact that he is still whining about it makes it even

better. Of course he ignores the fact that he instigated it by playing a pick.. Typical

Old
canuckfan75

If quick is on his game Canada will have a very tough time next month

Old
01-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Wetcoaster

For those who missed it the Kings in the purple blue Dodger sweater pre-game:

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 01-14-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old
01-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
For those who missed it the Kings in the purple Dodger sweater pre-game:

Looks blue to me..........

Old
01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil edler View Post
looks blue to me..........
edit.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Looks blue to me as well.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:08 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
edit.
Dodger purple? Oh for shame!

Old
01-14-2014, 04:10 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

The ref either had to call both the trip and interference on Doughty, or let them both go...he let them go.

I agree though, definitely not a slew-foot, and definitely no worse than Nolan making sure he caught henrik with his legs as well.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Looks like a couple of dicks to me.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckfan75 View Post
If quick is on his game Canada will have a very tough time next month
I have faith that one of Stamkos, Tavares or Sid is actually able to raise the puck, unlike our guys

Old
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Taunted
Saved by Draft '13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
Looks like a couple of dicks to me.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Grumbler

I hope we play the kings in the first round.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Wetcoaster

Mark Spector on the message delivered by the Canucks last night - Will Canucks keep playing tough? Should they?
The goal was to compete physically with the Los Angeles Kings. To punch first, not just punch back, and Vancouver accomplished that. The fact they did not come away with a point from the game? Well, that didn’t seem to matter much.

“One of the most positive losses you can have,” defenceman Kevin Bieksa told traveling Vancouver reporters from the Vancouver Sun and Province after the game. “We were going to make a statement whether they liked it or not. After the first period, they were skating around and saying: ‘What’s up with you guys tonight?’ We obviously got their attention and we’d like to play like this every night.”

Said Tortorella: “I thought we did a real good job as far as deciding that’s our ice also. It’s been a minus in our game. We got squat for points but we crossed a couple of bridges in what needs to be done.”

The Canucks pushed back hard, a fleeting trait that has long marked a criticism of this team. It’s good to see any team go all-in. To collectively say, “We’ve had enough,” then go out there and fight for each other.

That kind of game bonds a team. Whatever your stance on fighting in hockey, that is simply a fact.

Here’s the problem though: In order to play with the Big 3 in California, the Canucks obviously feel they have to play a heavier game. Play the game more like the Los Angles Kings, San Jose Sharks and Anaheim Ducks do.

The question is, can this lineup play that kind of hockey?

Old
01-14-2014, 04:14 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The ref either had to call both the trip and interference on Doughty, or let them both go...he let them go.

I agree though, definitely not a slew-foot, and definitely no worse than Nolan making sure he caught henrik with his legs as well.
The important thing is, they've let another team know that our scrubs are willing to take liberties with their stars. Finally.

Closed Thread