HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

George St. Pierre explains retirement - UFC ignores doping of its athletes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
  #1
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
George St. Pierre explains retirement - UFC ignores doping of its athletes

Just heard over the radio; apparently GSP just revealed to certain reporters that the reason he decided to retire (or "take a pause") is because of the whole anti-doping thing that occured before his fight with Hendricks.

Both him and H. had agreed on taking antidoping tests before the fight, but only GSP actually submitted to the tests, and the UFC apparently supported Hendrick in his refusal of taking the tests, which disgusted GSP.

I will try to find an online news report as soon as possible.

edit: Here is the 98,5 article


Last edited by PricePkPatch: 01-14-2014 at 12:51 PM.
PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:02 PM
  #2
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
All the UFC fighters take stuff.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
  #3
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
All the UFC fighters take stuff.
All the UFC fighters... ex-GSP, who actually submitted himself to the tests.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:13 PM
  #4
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
All the UFC fighters... ex-GSP, who actually submitted himself to the tests.
Like the baseball players, I'm sure they know how to beat the tests...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:15 PM
  #5
whitespy
Allllriiight
 
whitespy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Like the baseball players, I'm sure they know how to beat the tests...
Then why would it mean so much to him? Pretty sure it's not the case here.

whitespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:15 PM
  #6
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Like the baseball players, I'm sure they know how to beat the tests...
Then why wouldn't hendricks take it?

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
  #7
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Just heard over the radio; apparently GSP just revealed to certain reporters that the reason he decided to retire (or "take a pause") is because of the whole anti-doping thing that occured before his fight with Hendricks.

Both him and H. had agreed on taking antidoping tests before the fight, but only GSP actually submitted to the tests, and the UFC apparently supported Hendrick in his refusal of taking the tests, which disgusted GSP.

I will try to find an online news report as soon as possible.
I love GSP, but he should just walk away without any 'ammo' that Dana may use against him. That ******* would sell the paint off of his mother's house if he could make a buck.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:30 PM
  #8
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Then why would it mean so much to him? Pretty sure it's not the case here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Then why wouldn't hendricks take it?
Pretty much this. While there is always some doubt remaining, I am not going to consider two guys, one who has taken the tests and the other who refused to do so, to be of equal moral value when it comes to doping.

GSP actually went through all procedures; therefore he deserves much more respect and credentials than the guy who refused to submit himself. And I agree with GSP to think that the UFC is dirty for supporting the guy who REFUSED to submit himself to a test that he had previously agreed to take.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
  #9
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I love GSP, but he should just walk away without any 'ammo' that Dana may use against him. That ******* would sell the paint off of his mother's house if he could make a buck.
AFAIK, GSP has been beyond any repproach in his behaviour and work ethics, while Dana has behaved like a dirty *******.

I don't see how calling out the UFC can come back against GSP. He was their star, and decide to retire because they are not even doing a token effort against doping.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
  #10
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,794
vCash: 200
Are the commissions not in charge of testing prior to fight or has it been legislated into the UFC CBA? You'd think if it were up to the specific commissions responsibility why would Dana White and UFC give a **** if Hendricks submitted it or not?

I understand why GSP would care if he's clean, but I don't get the hate for UFC if it's not their responsibility to perform drug tests. (I'm not sure about this, just speculating)

BTW, I really dislike Dana White for a lot of reasons but this wouldn't be one of them, unless of course it is up to the UFC and their skirting responsibility for profit.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
  #11
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 13,606
vCash: 500
Not to mention GSP had to fight some dude running on Super Soldier Serum

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
  #12
dreamingofdrouin*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Not to mention GSP had to fight some dude running on Super Soldier Serum

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
  #13
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Then why wouldn't hendricks take it?
In the same sense, why would he take drugs if he's fully aware he'd get tested and get DQ??

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
  #14
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,030
vCash: 500
Claiming that athletes have used roids or whatever can get you sued IRL, people. Not smart.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:02 PM
  #15
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Oh, off course. You know a GUY. Now, that's a solid source of information.
Well, I'm not going to throw his name out like this. Hence me saying ''take it for what it's worth''. Now you can chose to believe I'm a 12yo poster that will invent crap on a hockey board about fighting just for the sake of an argument, or you can chose to view me as a poster that never spits out make up crap and has zero to gain from this so why would I invent this..

But even if you want to swipe this away. Then why would some fighters be using?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
  #16
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well, I'm not going to throw his name out like this. Hence me saying ''take it for what it's worth''. Now you can chose to believe I'm a 12yo poster that will invent crap on a hockey board about fighting just for the sake of an argument, or you can chose to view me as a poster that never spits out make up crap and has zero to gain from this so why would I invent this..

But even if you want to swipe this away. Then why would some fighters be using?
Why some fighters be using [drugs]?

To have better performance, obviously. I mean, isn't that why any athlete use drugs?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:13 PM
  #17
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Why some fighters be using [drugs]?

To have better performance, obviously. I mean, isn't that why any athlete use drugs?
Well yes, but why would they do it despite knowing they're going to be tested for it?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:13 PM
  #18
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,256
vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Claiming that athletes have used roids or whatever can get you sued IRL, people. Not smart.
Are you referring to GSP or other people? Because GSP is just saying that he did the tests and Hendricks didn't. That's a fact, and however people choose to speculate what that means is up to them.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
  #19
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Are you referring to GSP or other people? Because GSP is just saying that he did the tests and Hendricks didn't. That's a fact, and however people choose to speculate what that means is up to them.
Well not entirely, as the site rules does have something to say about it.

Quote:
13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.
(obviously this extends beyond "hockey personnel" for the sake of the discussion)

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:17 PM
  #20
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well yes, but why would they do it despite knowing they're going to be tested for it?
They know they can evade the tests?

Or they know they can just pull a Hendrick and say "I'm not gonna take the test"?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:18 PM
  #21
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Are you referring to GSP or other people? Because GSP is just saying that he did the tests and Hendricks didn't. That's a fact, and however people choose to speculate what that means is up to them.
Kriss E actually posted something that could have been considered libel against GSP, which got deleted.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:43 PM
  #22
smcgreg
Registered User
 
smcgreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hockeytown??
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well yes, but why would they do it despite knowing they're going to be tested for it?
I know this is a hockey board, but there was this guy a while ago,... Lance Armstrong. Have you heard of him?

And even if you have, you may not have heard of the other dozen cyclists who have been forced into retirement because of his specific scandal.

Or there was this other guy, Ben Johnson. Have you heard of him?

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:49 PM
  #23
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcgreg View Post
I know this is a hockey board, but there was this guy a while ago,... Lance Armstrong. Have you heard of him?

And even if you have, you may not have heard of the other dozen cyclists who have been forced into retirement because of his specific scandal.

Or there was this other guy, Ben Johnson. Have you heard of him?
Aren't you proving my point??...

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
  #24
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
They know they can evade the tests?

Or they know they can just pull a Hendrick and say "I'm not gonna take the test"?
Pulling a Hendricks? Well, doesn't that make him look just as guilty??? Why would he say no if he has nothing to hide?? He's scared of peeing in a cup or something??

I work in the fitness industry. I know plenty of people that have taken roids, I know some that know how to mask them too. In some cases, athletes are even made aware of which substances they will be tested for.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
  #25
smcgreg
Registered User
 
smcgreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hockeytown??
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Aren't you proving my point??...
Well, you asked this

"Well yes, but why would they do it despite knowing they're going to be tested for it?"

My point was that athletes dope knowing they would be tested all the time. Your follow up argument might be something to the effect, "It would be a Pyrrhic victory, because they would be caught." The counter-counter argument would be that, as Lance himself stated on multiple occasions, he never actually failed a drug test, despite being tested hundreds of times. So, he doped for approximately 20 yr knowing he would likely be tested on many occasions and KNOWING he would be tested on several occassions (e.g. wearing the yellow at the Tour de France).

(caveat: Some would argue he actually did fail tests, but according to the rules on the books and the evidence that is publicly available, he never failed a test.)

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.