HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NFL concussion lawsuit(s)

Old
01-14-2014, 12:12 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
OT: NFL concussion lawsuit(s)

CNBCSportsBiz 10:08am via HootSuite Judge halts $765M NFL concussion deal as too small: cnb.cx/1hTZrm7

My, my, my. That could really gum up the works.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:27 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Oooh... well that's going to cause a colossal mess....

Not to mention that this could have a huge impact on the NHL when their concussion lawsuit picks up steam. NFL considered $765 million a win.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 01-14-2014 at 12:33 PM.
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:35 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Probably a good call by the judge. There's no telling the future extent of the coverage that will be required. Some justification for the current number should be required.

Also, on a moral level he NFL is getting away with (literal?) murder in this deal, so the settlement should be large enough to really hurt them. I realize that's not what she's doing here, but it bothered me to see them squirming out of the limelight for under $1B.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:51 PM
cutchemist42

I'm still shocked the NFL got away so easily publicly with this settlement months ago.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

Not to mention that this could have a huge impact on the NHL when their concussion lawsuit picks up steam. NFL considered $765 million a win.
I imagine there's at least one NHL exec who wishes they had paid more attention to Lindros a few years ago.

01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I'm still shocked the NFL got away so easily publicly with this settlement months ago.
People side with the NFL because they want their football. They know it's wrong, but they are afraid that these concussion issues will ruins their sport.

01-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

So I'm guessing we start calculating how much of the NFL's annual revenue the amount is going to come out to. 765 wasn't quite 1/9th if we're talking 9 billion.

I'm speculating here: 20,000 players=2 Billion? 3? That would put a dent of 1/5th to 1/3 last years revenues. Would those be numbers that courts would be looking at?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:23 PM
hisgirlfriday

Wonder if the additional lawsuits launched post-settlement announcement had any effect on this? I believe Gale Sayers just was reported as a plaintiff in one a couple of days ago (after previously saying he wasn't going forward with a lawsuit last fall).

But from the CBS article the $765 million was supposed to cover 65 years... yeah that really is too little.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Wonder if the additional lawsuits launched post-settlement announcement had any effect on this? I believe Gale Sayers just was reported as a plaintiff in one a couple of days ago (after previously saying he wasn't going forward with a lawsuit last fall).

But from the CBS article the $765 million was supposed to cover 65 years... yeah that really is too little.
good point, hadn't thought about that 650 million for example would work out to 10 million a year for 20,000 people. Doing quick math:

1 Million (throwing a number out) per person times 20 thousand people? 20 Billion, or just over 2 years worth of revenue for the NFL.

Is my math right? If it is, that's serious dollars.

Last edited by Tinalera: 01-14-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old
01-14-2014, 11:11 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

JeffSchultzAJC 7:54pm via Tweet Button Lawyer rips NFL deal, eyes further litagtion espn.go.com/espn/otl/story…

I can just imagine the lawyers licking their chops at more billable hours.

Old
01-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
JeffSchultzAJC 7:54pm via Tweet Button Lawyer rips NFL deal, eyes further litagtion espn.go.com/espn/otl/story…

Let me guess who's representing both sides

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:55 AM
HogtownBlues

That was the NFL starting with a low ball figure, just to see if the players lawyers (or the judge) would accept the amount. It will be interesting to see who gets what.

HogtownBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownBlues View Post
That was the NFL starting with a low ball figure, just to see if the players lawyers (or the judge) would accept the amount. It will be interesting to see who gets what.

I'm sure their lawyers are the best in the land, plus the longer the battle goes, the more it costs the players in terms of how much of the award goes to pay their lawyer bills. Both sides have plenty of incentive to settle, but yes, I think the judge made the right call that if we're considering future injuries for several decades, this sum is a pittance and won't nearly cover everyone that the class action suit would affect.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 12:41 PM
viper0220

U.S. judge rejects $760 million NFL concussion settlement

The NFL might have to pay out here and pay out big.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-judge-rej...6235--nfl.html

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 12:47 PM
viper0220

Are leagues doing anything right now to stop these lawsuits in the future? I mean it is not hard put in their contract that they cannot sue after they retire(how hard is that, do they do that now?).

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 12:54 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

I'm fairly sure that that'd be legally unenforceable, especially as the lion's share of these lawsuits stem from past injuries, accused league negligence and tolerance of rules/culture that have potentially lead to increased concussion rates, supposedly slow implementation of proper concussion screening standards, and, in the case of the NFL, failing to disclose applicable knowledge about the long term deleterious effects of concussions.

Plus, good luck getting any player's union going forward with a blanket no sue part of any contract.

But that is, by and large, why the NFL and NHL are making so many rule changes, and why MLB is considering banning home plate collisions, to reduce concussion/injury risks and to be able to say that they have been proactive trying to promote safety. To reduce the grounds for future lawsuits from current/future players.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 01:06 PM
cutchemist42

On the baseball front, homeplate collisions and the pitchers wearing helmets though is something I think MLB can easily handle. Is the protection for pitchers coming into effect?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Burke the Legend

Really? MLB going to force pitchers to wear plastic caps? That sounds like it's going to be awfully hot if you're on the mound 3 hours in Atlanta, month of July. Plus doesn't that cap just help with skull fractures? Not even doing as much as a NHL/NFL helmet for concussions.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:05 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

bruce_arthur 9:15pm via Echofon This @patrick_hruby piece about the delay in the NFL concussion settlement is excellent: sportsonearth.com/article/668581…

Old
01-21-2014, 03:45 PM
smithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

It's not for billable hours, it's for a percentage cut of the settlement. Way more lucrative.

smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 11:37 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=446915

Financial expert should be providing judge with "better" figures soon. Lead players lawyer expects most players to accept judgement, rather than fight the league in court.

Old
03-21-2014, 07:49 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

The "other" NFL concussion lawsuit -- being paused to consider joining other suit

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/21/625...#mi_rss=Sports

Quote:
The estate of NFL Hall of Famer Mike Webster and dozens of former players suing the league over concussion injuries agreed Friday to pause their lawsuit to see if it will join other similar cases being reviewed by a federal judge for settlement.

Webster's estate and 65 former players and their families sued the NFL in February, claiming the league hid information about the seriousness of concussions and head injuries sustained during their playing careers.

Old
05-05-2014, 08:25 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=451346

Quote:
Seven former players filed a motion to intervene in the court case pending in Philadelphia, which aims to settle thousands of claims through a grid-like formula that reaches $5 million for younger retirees with Alzheimer's disease.

The latest objections come from men who can perhaps still work, but say they still suffer from headaches, personality changes, trouble multi-tasking and other side effects they link to concussions suffered while playing in the league.

"The settlement provided no monetary recovery — nothing at all — for class members suffering from many of the residual effects most commonly linked to recurrent and repetitive mild traumatic brain injury, while releasing every claim these class members may have against the NFL," lawyer Steven Molo wrote in the court filing.
Yeah, that definitely seems to be a group not well covered (financially) by the proposed settlement.

Old
05-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Tinalera

I'm going to be interested to see the revised numbers, they could end up being just this side of eye popping....

Old
05-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Really? MLB going to force pitchers to wear plastic caps? That sounds like it's going to be awfully hot if you're on the mound 3 hours in Atlanta, month of July. Plus doesn't that cap just help with skull fractures? Not even doing as much as a NHL/NFL helmet for concussions.
Im just happy that fighting in hockey will finally come to an end

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote