HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Moulson on LA's Radar

Old
01-15-2014, 04:50 PM
sabrescupbound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Something tells me its not so much about not playing with Tavares as it is playing on Buffalo. No offense, Sabres fans.
None taken. Heck, Bobby Ryan's numbers would look bad playing with this bunch of misfits.

sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Osprey

Buffalo will want to get the most value out of Moulson to make the Vanek trade look as good as possible (and help the rebuild), whereas LA will not want to give up too much, since they have a decent chance of signing Matt in the Summer. I just don't see the two sides agreeing on a deal and think that they're both better off making different deals.

It'd be especially stupid of LA to trade Toffoli for 4-5 months of him. You don't make up for the mistake of letting Moulson walk for nothing by re-acquiring him at age 30 for a very promising 21-year-old. That's more like not learning your lesson.

Pearson and Vey are much more the type of prospect or young player that Lombardi will be willing to part with in a package for such a rental. They've also both been recalled in the past few days. Is it simply because the Kings could use the energy and a shake-up of the lines (or another reason like injury or the Olympic restriction), or could it also partly be to showcase them for potential suitors? Who knows, but they're the type that could be moved by the deadline for help. Naturally, more would be needed for Moulson, but one of them is likely what Lombardi would offer (whether Buffalo is the least bit interested is another matter, though).

Last edited by Osprey: 01-15-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Something tells me its not so much about not playing with Tavares as it is playing on Buffalo. No offense, Sabres fans.
None taken brother.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Buffalo will probably ask a reasonable amount for the rental of Moulson and then ask for a conditional good pick if the Kings or whomever re-sign him. I think that would be fair.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Buffalo will probably ask a reasonable amount for the rental of Moulson and then ask for a conditional good pick if the Kings or whomever re-sign him. I think that would be fair.
what do you define as "reasonable" ????

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:12 PM
sabrescupbound

I really think a 2nd and Toffoli with the 2nd turning to a first if re-signed is a fair deal if LA wants Moulson right now. Buffalo will get just as good or better offers at the dead line with so many teams interested. His cap hit is small so almost any team could take him to.

Old
01-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Raccoon Jesus
Offense Like Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Nah, it'd be way smarter for the Kings to panic at the idea of a bidding war and just give up Toffoli in a trade for Moulson.

Lombardi breaks glass, pushes red button.

"What the ****, guys, it was a metaphor." --Dean Lombardi, 2015.
Raccoon Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Knight of the Realm
Kempe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescupbound View Post
I really think a 2nd and Toffoli with the 2nd turning to a first if re-signed is a fair deal if LA wants Moulson right now. Buffalo will get just as good or better offers at the dead line with so many teams interested. His cap hit is small so almost any team could take him to.
Just not gonna happen. Not from LA. Too much upside to gamble on a free agent.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Not happening. No reason for the Kings to give up their best offensive prospect for a few months of Moulson. Pearson is a much more reasonable return.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:35 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Just not gonna happen. Not from LA. Too much upside to gamble on a free agent.
If La was planning on using him for the year and letting him walk, then yes. But if LA's plans are keeping him, then it makes sense to me.

Old
01-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Deen

vCash: 12660
How about Muzzin for Moulson?

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
If La was planning on using him for the year and letting him walk, then yes. But if LA's plans are keeping him, then it makes sense to me.
The point of acquiring Moulson is to add offensive talent. How does trading Toffoli accomplish that?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
I'd be all over this. Muzzin is inconsistent. Some nights he's Sami Salo 2.0. Other nights he's Joe Corvo 2.0.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Sparky93

Quote:
Drinking early? No way Toffoli is traded for Moulson. In fact I'm gonna say, 1st's are going to be a lot harder to come by this year, for the simple fact that a lot of contenders have tested the rental waters in the last couple years. Giving up 1st's every other year is bad business. GM's have to keep an eye on the future, while chasing the cup, at least if they want to keep their job very long.

Sparky93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:40 PM
MagnumForce

As much as I would like for Moulson to net us Toffoli in a trade....I just don't see it happening. From a Buffalo standpoint...who do you think of our prospects (forward or defense) is equivalent to Toffoli in value?

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:47 PM
nwofoxhound

You gotta take into consideration the cap space. Kings are at the ceiling, sitting with about $1.7MM in cap space. We would at least have to dump a little, no? BTW Dont want Moulson. He will go from a 30 goal scorer to a 10 goal scorer on a team like the Kings.

How will Moulson help our PP exactly when all we do is run an umbrella and shoot point shots into the opposing defender's feet? Pass

nwofoxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:48 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vinegar View Post
The point of acquiring Moulson is to add offensive talent. How does trading Toffoli accomplish that?
Because it could take Toffoli a three or four years to get you what Moulson could bring you now. If I'm a GM, and I have a team set up to win championships now, I make that trade if I think Mouslon will resign. You have to strike while the iron's hot. Who know what position LA will be in three or four years from now? I take the chance to get the cups while I can. Maybe being from Buffalo with zero cups makes me think this way

Old
01-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Because it could take Toffoli a three or four years to get you what Moulson could bring you now. If I'm a GM, and I have a team set up to win championships now, I make that trade if I think Mouslon will resign. You have to strike while the iron's hot. Who know what position LA will be in three or four years from now? I take the chance to get the cups while I can. Maybe being from Buffalo with zero cups makes me think this way
You're not getting Toffoli, final answer!

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Let me give a little more to this. You see, Buffalo over the last 20 yrs had that same philosophy. No matter how good the team was, never trade good prospects for any talent. So when Buffalo had a great team and the deadline came. Buffalo would get some third liner for the playoff's. So where did that leave us? No championships, and all those great prospects are gone because they weren't so great after all. That's why if I'm in a position like LA or ST Louis I say, get what you can when you can because anything could happen down the road and it might be 20 yrs before you get that chance again.

Old
01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
DEAL!!!!!!

Now to drive Muzzin to the airport...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 06:02 PM
backofthenet

Quote:
Let me give a little more to this. You see, Buffalo over the last 20 yrs had that same philosophy. No matter how good the team was, never trade good prospects for any talent. So when Buffalo had a great team and the deadline came. Buffalo would get some third liner for the playoff's. So where did that leave us? No championships, and all those great prospects are gone because they weren't so great after all. That's why if I'm in a position like LA or ST Louis I say, get what you can when you can because anything could happen down the road and it might be 20 yrs before you get that chance again.
Kings management may know a little more about building a championship team.....just saying.

backofthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 06:05 PM
SettlementRichie10

I just don't think this works out. Again, sorry Buffalo fans, but Moulson isn't an individually game breaking forward. He's reliant on good teammates and there's too much of a chance he would turn invisible in the system we play. The reason a guy like Carter was able to step in and produce at a high level is because of the caliber of player he is in a vacuum. Moulson's not on that level and therefore not worth a Toffoli or similar caliber prospect.

I'm all for adding Moulson. I just think Buffalo is asking too much for what the Kings are willing to part with.

SettlementRichie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 06:07 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthenet View Post
Kings management may know a little more about building a championship team.....just saying.
LMAO.. ok

Old
01-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Amused To Death

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
I just don't think this works out. Again, sorry Buffalo fans, but Moulson isn't an individually game breaking forward. He's reliant on good teammates and there's too much of a chance he would turn invisible in the system we play. The reason a guy like Carter was able to step in and produce at a high level is because of the caliber of player he is in a vacuum. Moulson's not on that level and therefore not worth a Toffoli or similar caliber prospect.

I'm all for adding Moulson. I just think Buffalo is asking too much for what the Kings are willing to part with.
He'd help your powerplay, nothing but zonetime on the PP.

5 on 5 you may be right.

Amused To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
SpaceCowboy

I'd be surprised if LA pulled this off. They'd have to shift some cap space around though would they not? Aren't they pretty well at the ceiling? Even if they did give up a 1st to acquire wouldn't they need to unload or have Buffalo retain cap space?

SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote