HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice, tips required: Right hand playing left D

Old
01-03-2014, 03:14 PM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Advice, tips required: Right hand playing left D

For my game on Monday night I will be on the first line but I'll be playing left D and I'm a righty.

1. Please hit me with all the tips and advice you've got. Youtube links are great but I couldn't find too much.

2. I've looked quite a bit, but maybe one of you guys has a video on how to keep puck in the offensive zone using your shin pads and skates?

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Watch for the Yeti

I had to play right D, and I am a lefty for a couple of shifts my last game, because my defensive partner had no clue what he was doing. I didn't have too much of a problem playing on the right side. It is awkward at first because everything is on your backhand side, but it's not as hard as you might think. The most important part of playing defense, in my opinion, is keeping the opposition from getting quality scoring oppurtunities, and playing on your offhand doesn't really have an impact on that side of the game.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:34 PM
19Backstrom
Cup or bust

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
For my game on Monday night I will be on the first line but I'll be playing left D and I'm a righty.

1. Please hit me with all the tips and advice you've got. Youtube links are great but I couldn't find too much.

2. I've looked quite a bit, but maybe one of you guys has a video on how to keep puck in the offensive zone using your shin pads and skates?
I don't have a video on that, but usually, the opposing team will try to get the puck out off the boards/glass. My best tip is to hold your stick with your left hand only, put your body against the boards with your legs closed. This way, you will intercept every puck sent against the boards. Stick your right hand out to bring the pucks flying over your head down, and be prepared to play it immediately.

Also, get used to catching and giving passes on your backhand.
Other than that, it's the same as playing the right point.

19Backstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Watch for the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
I don't have a video on that, but usually, the opposing team will try to get the puck out off the boards/glass. My best tip is to hold your stick with your left hand only, put your body against the boards with your legs closed. This way, you will intercept every puck sent against the boards. Stick your right hand out to bring the pucks flying over your head down, and be prepared to play it immediately.

Also, get used to catching and giving passes on your backhand.
Other than that, it's the same as playing the right point.
Ya, it's not really a huge adjustment.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:34 AM
rokkinman139

It's not that much different, really. I'm a lefty and I've had to play right D these past two years because I've been paired with lefties who didn't want to switch. When the puck comes up the boards and you know that you'll have time to make a play, just press your whole body on the boards. If you do it right, the puck should just kick right off of your skates and to a place where you can play it. It's got a couple of advantages as well. If you start leading the rush, your stick will be towards the middle meaning that you have a better angle for making passes or shooting. When you're defending, you'll naturally have your stick in the middle lane, making it harder for the other team to make cross-ice passes. Just hope that you're playing with someone who can make the right passes for you on the backend and you should be fine

rokkinman139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 02:31 AM
American in Paris

I'm a righty and actually prefer playing D on the left side. You can seal the boards with your body and skate while keeping your stick on the ice in the forehand position. You can call for passes from the corner and shoot with your forehand centered on the goalie. In the defensive zone your forehand naturally covers the slot even as you position yourself on the goalie's backdoor. There are a lot of advantages to playing on the off-side.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 04:14 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Better angle for offense. Obviously presents some challenges keeping the puck in along the boards and also getting in deep along the boards.

On D the hardest thing I have found is the blocking passing lanes deep side especially if the puck carrier is in the corner and want to stop cross crease passes.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:50 PM
ciscomorales

Ok I have a feeling I am going to end up on D, right or left should not really matter should it? I am rh but my skating is much stronger on the left side. This is my first novice season and I have always played rw or lw in pickups. I know the basic zone set up and positioning, is that something I should just stick with? Basicly is zone the way to go for general D?

ciscomorales is offline   Reply With Quote