HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards

Old
05-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I hope he's bought out. His turnovers, lack of speed, and shooting directly into the defender in front of him, have me pulling my damn hair out of my head.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Flavius
Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
I hope he's bought out. His turnovers, lack of speed, and shooting directly into the defender in front of him, have me pulling my damn hair out of my head.
Up and down with this guy. Just can't afford to hang on to him for the next 6 years for cap purposes.

Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Honestly, if there was any way to keep Richards one more year, I wouldn't scream about it--he looks slower this round, but his wingers are playing well and I suspect he's part of the reason why. He's had a very good season.

However, given the cap recapture aspect of his contract, I can't see any justification for keeping him beyond this season--even with the run the team has had in the playoffs.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Oak
#1 Hockey Dad

vCash: 50
Beaver is getting ready for another breakout game. Im guessing tomorrow.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:34 AM
TheDave1022

Say what you want about Richards, but he has been a great leader for the team. He is playing well enough and probably has a few more years left in him. Problem is after that and I doubt they will be able to move him. Hopefully they win it all and he can at least go out as a Ranger winning the cup

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Honestly, if there was any way to keep Richards one more year, I wouldn't scream about it--he looks slower this round, but his wingers are playing well and I suspect he's part of the reason why. He's had a very good season.

However, given the cap recapture aspect of his contract, I can't see any justification for keeping him beyond this season--even with the run the team has had in the playoffs.
Yeah pretty much this. He's got 1 maybe 2 years at respectable hockey left. But, he's got to go in order to keep other players. Make room for Miller, etc.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 01:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

It is really sad that given the cap he won't be a Ranger after being a big part of such a fun (well, from January on at least) run. Hope there's no hard feelings and he goes somewhere with a young nucleus, preferably out West, and helps those dudes.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 857
Richards is a good player, and if there wasnt a cap recapture there could be an argument made to keep him.

but here's a few cold hard facts.

He is NOT a driving force on his line, his wingers are.

The brassard, pouliot, mza line are all ufa/rfas and are all WAAAYYY more important to this team than he is.

He's getting older, he's past his prime.

we've got plenty of leadership. losing Cally didnt make us worse, it made us better. theres more than enough C's to go around on this team.

Buy him out, sign Grabovski to take his place imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Yeah pretty much this. He's got 1 maybe 2 years at respectable hockey left. But, he's got to go in order to keep other players. Make room for Miller, etc.
Sorry, you misunderstood perhaps. Richards has played well enough to deserve another year--especially since next season the team will be trying to build on the run they've had to the Stanley Cup finala (and perhaps--dare I dream--be the defending champions). He's been a big part of of this. If that means JT Miller (who's not ready to step in for Richards yet) waits a little longer, so be it.

The reason why Richards has to go is because of the cap recapture implications. His contract runs through 2019. If he retires before the end of the contract (and he will--he's not going to be playing the last THREE years for a million bucks a year) the penalty would hamstring the organization.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 11:31 PM
poeman
To Win The One Ring

Damn, Richards really need to step it up...His shot looks so flat out there and his passes always hit the defense's sticks

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 11:44 PM
tjs252

I doubt Richards is amnestied. I think, in all likelihood the team tries to make it work during the window we have and revisit him as a pure buyout if/when the time comes.

Nash, on the other hand, seriously, why isn't he at least in the discussion for amnesty?

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
I doubt Richards is amnestied. I think, in all likelihood the team tries to make it work during the window we have and revisit him as a pure buyout if/when the time comes.

Nash, on the other hand, seriously, why isn't he at least in the discussion for amnesty?
id be BEYOND shocked if he isnt amnestied. Say whatever you want to about him. The cap recapture + the amount of key guys we need to bring back who are WAY more important than he is + the fact that he's inarguably the slowest guy on our top 9 (even slower than stepan) for a team that wants to play a speed game, and you have the perfect storm for a buyout.

If Richards was a 90 point guy, that would be one thing.

hes not.

hes a 50-60 point guy. Thats not even close to be worth it when weighed against all the other negatives that come with keeping him.

Old
06-05-2014, 12:15 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

He's done.

And yes, he's likely gone.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 12:19 AM
Broadway Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post

Because that would be stupid.

Nash is a better, younger player that has less years left on his deal. It's pretty obvious.

Broadway Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 12:24 AM
bl02

Guy needs to be bought out. I guess maybe he doesn't get credit for his locker room leadership but he is the slowest player on the team. Can't forecheck. Just not even worth half of what he makes.

bl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Kahuna Nanu
Old & Slow NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Richards is a good player, and if there wasnt a cap recapture there could be an argument made to keep him.

but here's a few cold hard facts.

He is NOT a driving force on his line, his wingers are.

The brassard, pouliot, mza line are all ufa/rfas and are all WAAAYYY more important to this team than he is.

He's getting older, he's past his prime.

we've got plenty of leadership. losing Cally didnt make us worse, it made us better. theres more than enough C's to go around on this team.

Buy him out, sign Grabovski to take his place imho.
Agreed, I've been contemplating Grabovski for a few weeks now. Could be a solid, low key pickup.

06-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Agreed, I've been contemplating Grabovski for a few weeks now. Could be a solid, low key pickup.
hes kinda built to play the kinda hockey we want to play...really like him.

Old
06-05-2014, 05:39 AM
17futurecap

Had the GWG vs Pitt in game 7, and did a nice job on the MSL gwg in game 4 vs Montreal, but his play has really faded as the games have gone on. I cringe when he winds up his point shots on power plays.

I get he is the defacto captain, but too much cap space for a slow 50-60 point center who is up there in age. MSL can take over the leadership roll, and mentor the younger guys for at least one more season.

Richards will still get a nice contract when/if he gets amnestied, but I would not be surprised if next year he has a year like Lecavalier had in Philly.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

I used to really dislike Richards but he's grown on me a lot this year. I feel bad for him but he absolutely has to be bought out this summer.

I wonder how St. Louis would feel about Richards being amnestied.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote