Old
01-27-2014, 01:48 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/gamelog/?id=6070

He's making it up. The above link has Hiller's cumulative stats over the season.

The highest Hiller's GAA was at any point this season was 2.79 in mid November and he was only sitting below 0.900 for two games this season.
I assumed so. Hiller is what he is, a goalie who is going to put up a GAA in the mid 2's with a save percentage between .910-.920. No one has been arguing otherwise; They, or I guess I should say we, have only argued that the hate on him is ridiculous and that he's a proven commodity at the NHL level.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:

He's making it up. The above link has Hiller's cumulative stats over the season.

The highest Hiller's GAA was at any point this season was 2.79 in mid November and he was only sitting below 0.900 for two games this season.
DAMNIT I didn't know tsn tracked goalie stats over time. Just spent 10 minutes calculating Hiller's numbers through November 6th. Least I know my math was right.

Hiller's not setting the world on fire but he is very Grant Fuhr this year, giving us what we need when we need it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't upgrade him if the deal was there, but 1) I don't see a deal anywhere and 2) he might be just fine. He played a hell of a game on the big stage coming back from that crap game against the Jets. Good statement.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:

Thanks for that. When I read that statement, I was pretty sure that couldn't be correct, but didn't want to stick my neck out for my memory on that.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Theridion

Hiller just isnt an elite goalie. His stickhandling is scary bad this year, he is giving up rebounds, and glove side is just sad. Down low, scrambling, 5 hole type situations, he has been fine. Positioning has been fine.

This defense does not get enough credit for the way they play the puck around hiller. They have been fanrasric at puck retrieval and tying up opponents sticks.

What would concern me the most, is a fast paced game where the Ducks have to gamble a bit to tie it up. Hiller will get picked apart in odd man rushes or guys shooting at full speed.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:00 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:

Wow I didn't realize that this kind of tracking existed somewhere. I've always had to do it manually. Are you a wizard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2ducks View Post
are you seriously comparing a bmw with a Ferrari? bwahahahahahahaahahaha
BMW vs Ferrari. Sort of like comparing the Ducks with the Blues.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 04:29 PM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Do you guys have a goalie thread on here talking about all 4-5 of them??
Where do you the Ducks go with Hiller in the off season? What is the breaking point in terms of years/term to re-sign him?

There are about 5-8 teams max looking for a goalie of his stature this off-season (Edmonton, Florida, Islanders, Buffalo and maybe a couple other teams looking for 1A starter with that much cap space/spot available).

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 04:48 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Do you guys have a goalie thread on here talking about all 4-5 of them??
Where do you the Ducks go with Hiller in the off season? What is the breaking point in terms of years/term to re-sign him?

There are about 5-8 teams max looking for a goalie of his stature this off-season (Edmonton, Florida, Islanders, Buffalo and maybe a couple other teams looking for 1A starter with that much cap space/spot available).
In my opinion the Ducks are set on letting him walk. They signed Fasth to a two-year extension last season and Andersen to a similar deal (both one-way) which suggests they plan to go with those two next season. With Fasth's health and Andersen's relative inexperience, this game plan is viewed as a risk. Personally I think Andersen is the real deal and have no problem with him going forward despite Fasth's continued injury problem. But I also think Fasth is a better goalie than Hiller when he's healthy.

I'm excited to see Hiller go because I'm tired of worrying that any shot might go in. He'll be great for long stretches but he'll also be very beatable in between them.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 05:07 PM
8inblack

Send a message via AIM to 8inblack Send a message via Yahoo to 8inblack
Quote:

Well I said that on complete memory and I was a little off on my numbers. I say 3.0 you say 2.79 potato, potato. 2.79 is still completely horrid and unacceptable for a starting NHL goaltender which is mainly what I wanted to say with that.

8inblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inblack View Post
Well I said that on complete memory and I was a little off on my numbers. I say 3.0 you say 2.79 potato, potato. 2.79 is still completely horrid and unacceptable for a starting NHL goaltender which is mainly what I wanted to say with that.
Lundquist was at 2.73 as recently as January 10th. He's down to 2.54 now. They should trade him.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/gamelog/?id=2585

Ryan Miller (who everyone wants to upgrade Hiller to) has a high of 3.40, and is now down to 2.62.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/gamelog/?id=2045

GAA is a team stat.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 07:09 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inblack View Post
difference between 3 and 2.79 is a lot lol. just like 2.00 and 2.21 is also a lot, imo.
but alas, GAA is a team stat as is stated above. not just on a single player

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:01 PM
8inblack

Send a message via AIM to 8inblack Send a message via Yahoo to 8inblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Lundquist was at 2.73 as recently as January 10th. He's down to 2.54 now. They should trade him.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/gamelog/?id=2585

Ryan Miller (who everyone wants to upgrade Hiller to) has a high of 3.40, and is now down to 2.62.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/gamelog/?id=2045

GAA is a team stat.
Every stat is a team stat if you really want to widdle it down. Yes, GAA is team relative and you have to use those numbers in context. I don't see how you can use this number in any way to favor Hiller. I don't think you'll see anyone claiming that Miller or Lundy are having extraordinary years. I know that my GAA announcement was 0.21 off, but 2.79 is extremely bad and nobody can use the ducks are a bad team argument to sugar coat it.

I'm not really interested in trying to argue what he is now as it truly doesn't matter since the ducks are committing a possible Stanley Cup year to Hiller. I'm just saying for people that are saying the streak means he's back there was also a time where it looked like he was the titanic about to sink into the ocean this same season.

8inblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Paul4587

Miller might be the favorite for the Vezina right now. Lundqvist I agree is having a bad year by his standards.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote