HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread LXXV - All News & Talk from Around the League

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 08:50 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
People are really complaining about pk's celebration? Wtf is wrong with it

Old
01-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Impossible Glory

vCash: 500
The hottest team in the league is getting dominated badly by the Hawks. I honestly expected a better game.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:49 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

****ing love Hossa.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:00 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
There was nothing wrong with it.. Just because it was PK Subban it makes it a big deal for some stupid reason.. It's sad to see the guy get criticized for every single little thing he does.. The same type of stuff no one would even notice if someone else did it.

I know Subban can speak for himself and he's quite good at doing so but it would be nice to hear someone from Habs management or his teammates stick up for the guy for once.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:29 PM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
The hottest team in the league is getting dominated badly by the Hawks. I honestly expected a better game.
Ducks back in it with 2 quick goals, second one was awful on Crawford. 3-2 Hawks

Old
01-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Ducks back in it with 2 quick goals, second one was awful on Crawford. 3-2 Hawks
Yep, the end is exciting. Hopefully there will be overtime.

Edit: Damn you and your awesome defensive instinct, Hossa.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:36 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

As I said... Hossa. Love.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:41 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Wait till you hear what cherry has to say tomorrow.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

When is Ottawa going to get rid of Anderson ?

He's not a good as people think. Lehner is much better.

Old
01-18-2014, 12:51 AM
habitue*

Ducks and Hawks had two big defensive d-men not dressed for tonight games, two guys signed as UFA and that coukd had been better than Murray and Bouillon:. Fistric and Brookbank. A leftie and a rightie..

Old
01-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I was talking about before...

The guy got the Blue Jackets to the playoffs man. And probably would've done it again had Steve Mason not been a complete idiot.
But it's the same Steve Mason that put him in the playoffs. And when he was unable to repeat, Jackets obviously crumbled.

Quote:
Bad with kids? Don't know about that man. A lot of those kids were probably called up too early to begin with. Is that Hitch's fault? Don't forget they had idiot Doug Maclean as their GM. Pieterangelo certainly seems to be doing fine under him.
Sorry, but you can't put everything bad on being called up too early. EVERY 1st rounder but Nash weren't a success. Even Mason who was able to give Hitchcock those playoffs, wasn't able to continue on his journey. Was everything Hitchcock's fault? Of course not...but at one point, he needs to take responsabilities. Come on, I mean, we keep blaming Therrien for how he treats some of our youth....not sure why Hitchcock should be exempt from blame. Hitchcock is clearly not a a bad coach.....but you don't have to try to make him look perfect...every coach has its flaws....if not, they'd have more success or be coaching the same team for tons of years.

Quote:
Had to reinvent himself? Well, he was known as a trapping coach. Maybe with the new game people thought that he might not be able to adapt. But he certainly did didn't he?
Yes he did. My point was never about his time in St.-Louis. Not juding the present Hitchcock, just saying that as great as he looks now, nobody would have thought of him for our position even without a language factor.

Quote:
Great run in Dallas as his first gig. Good in Philly without any goaltending. Got the freaking Jackets to the postseason and the Blues are now doing very well. I'd say the guy knows what he's doing.
Yes. But he was still fired 4 times. Says a lot. A great coach who will go in history as one of the best coach the league has seen, was still fired 4 times. Something proves 2 of my points....you are often just as good as your team is. And sometimes, whether it's the GM or the coach, you are not even fired for the job you did or didn't do. You are fired, 'cause it's easier to fire one guy than 20. Which again, just reduces the importance of a coach in a team. Not saying it has no importance.....it has. But not as much as people like to think. There's too many examples of coaches that brought their teams to the 3rd round of the Finals, tons of examples of coaches in nomination for a Adams, who ended up fired 1 or 2 years after.

Quote:
I would. In a heartbeat I'd take this guy. He clearly knows what he's doing. Like any coach he needs a team to win (just like a goalie does) but he has a track record of making teams better than they are (or at the very least, not hurting them the way a certain Montreal coach does.) Great track record... of course I'd take him.
No. You would NOW, 'cause you see the job he's doing NOW. Question is.....when it was time to hire a coach for US before Hitchcock time in St.Louis, have you ever thought of hiring him, language factor aside?

Mike Keenan....would you have hired him? 1 Cup, 3 Finals, 2 3rd round. But then that was more in the past...but if you compare the teams he had in the past, compared to the ones he had in recent years....pretty easy to think that it's not even comparable...Paul Maurice? Would have thought of him? He was just hired for the 4th time.....He was the best candidate for them. Yeah, I know, tougher to find a candidate mid-season than in the summer. Yet, it's also tough in the summer, as most coaches hired in the summer are fired 3 years after.....Just saying, that in the end, finding the BEST coach possible isn't easy and you can't determine through a fitness testing, or any kind of tests, who are the best man. 'Cause in the end, you are just as good as the guy who selects you thinks you are good. And if the problem relies on the GM's way of choosing his coach....well chances are the coach won't be appropriate for your team......See Bergevin and Therrien....

Old
01-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

They won't. Not yet, as they need to think he could become the Anderson he was before, as this is the reason why they got rid of Bishop in the first place....

Old
01-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
There was nothing wrong with it.. Just because it was PK Subban it makes it a big deal for some stupid reason.. It's sad to see the guy get criticized for every single little thing he does.. The same type of stuff no one would even notice if someone else did it.

I know Subban can speak for himself and he's quite good at doing so but it would be nice to hear someone from Habs management or his teammates stick up for the guy for once.
Totally agree with you...they want the faster, more modern, more stylish, darker version of Bobby Orr to be quiet like Bobby Orr (put his head down after scoring and then skate back to the bench...I respect that a lot 'cause I like humble, ex: Beliveau ; but not everyone has to be like this...I don't know Subban personally, so not sure if he's humble, very humble, not so humble,etc, but I do know this...he loves being a Hab and loves to express his joy and happiness...nothing wrong with that...not cheesy at all...just knows how to be happy and can't help himself but show it...and why not...you deserve to if you work hard and help the team win). Subban didn't injure anyone...he didn't almost kill someone (Chara to Pacioretty...obvious revenge)...he celebrated a huge goal. Good for him. Good to know there's still players who can bring LIFE and EXCITEMENT to the NHL. (btw, Ottawa has always been a snoozefest of a team...I liked ex-Sen-Alfredsson and Phillipps and can admit Karlsson is excellent offensively, but that team has always been boring to watch...all the way back to the depressing Daigle days...boring team...... it's usually more entertaining VS the Bruins or Leafs...more entertainment value).

Subban is not doing the army salute or pretending to set his stick on fire...he's just showing how happy he is (celebrating)...I'd love to play like him and make millions for a living (and I'd give to charity like Subban does as well). People should just let him be...he loves hockey and life, and you can tell with the way he expresses himself. And...he loves being a HAB!!!!!!

I'm so proud Subban is a Hab

p.s.: would be funny if for once Gorges defended Subban!! (instead Gorges will continue giving his fake intense ''angry mad eyes'' look and give the same speech about ''this is about the team, nothing else'').

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-19-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old
01-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But it's the same Steve Mason that put him in the playoffs. And when he was unable to repeat, Jackets obviously crumbled.
Again, this one has more to do with the guys above Hitch. Hitch had been riding him and management sided with the player... Not a coaching problem, that's on management.
Quote:
Sorry, but you can't put everything bad on being called up too early. EVERY 1st rounder but Nash weren't a success. Even Mason who was able to give Hitchcock those playoffs, wasn't able to continue on his journey. Was everything Hitchcock's fault? Of course not...but at one point, he needs to take responsabilities. Come on, I mean, we keep blaming Therrien for how he treats some of our youth....not sure why Hitchcock should be exempt from blame. Hitchcock is clearly not a a bad coach.....but you don't have to try to make him look perfect...every coach has its flaws....if not, they'd have more success or be coaching the same team for tons of years.
Again though, why is it successful in St Louis but not Columbus? Why is Pieterangelo able to flourish under this guy?

Columbus has a long history of busting prospects. Worst that can be said is that Hitch wasn't able to break this trend. But I certainly don't blame him for it. He had morons over there running the show.
Quote:
Yes he did. My point was never about his time in St.-Louis. Not juding the present Hitchcock, just saying that as great as he looks now, nobody would have thought of him for our position even without a language factor.
My biggest concern for us should we have hired him (back then) would've been a concern that he would've been married to the trap. Certainly seems like he's not over in St Louis.

Even so though, I'd probably still have wanted Hitch here. The guy's just too good a coach not to bring on. Certainly I feel that way now with seeing what he's doing in St. Louis anyway.

Quote:
Yes. But he was still fired 4 times. Says a lot.
No. He was fired three times - since 1996! He's on his 4th team and they are currently the favourite to win the Stanley Cup.

You are right though, it says a lot about him. 3 times since the mid 90s is an amazing track record. Do you know that we had technically had THREE coaches in 1996 alone? Pretty hilarious actually.

Seriously though, starting with Tremblay (forget Demers or Laperriere who only coached one game that year) we've had 8 coaches. Getting fired three times is no big deal dude.

Quote:
A great coach who will go in history as one of the best coach the league has seen, was still fired 4 times. Something proves 2 of my points....you are often just as good as your team is. And sometimes, whether it's the GM or the coach, you are not even fired for the job you did or didn't do. You are fired, 'cause it's easier to fire one guy than 20. Which again, just reduces the importance of a coach in a team. Not saying it has no importance.....it has. But not as much as people like to think. There's too many examples of coaches that brought their teams to the 3rd round of the Finals, tons of examples of coaches in nomination for a Adams, who ended up fired 1 or 2 years after.
I don't disagree on any of these points except your statement that he's been fired four times. But... not sure what your point is. Hitch seems to gets the most (or at least a lot) out of his teams. The Blues on paper don't look like the best team in the league to me. But he has them playing very well. So much so that many consider them the favourites to win it all this year. Personally I think the goaltending isn't good enough but that's not Hitch's fault.

Quote:
No. You would NOW, 'cause you see the job he's doing NOW. Question is.....when it was time to hire a coach for US before Hitchcock time in St.Louis, have you ever thought of hiring him, language factor aside?
As I said above, yes. My main concern would've been the trap though. That might've scared me off a little. It's possible I might've said no had I been a GM. But that would've been the only reason.
Quote:
Mike Keenan....would you have hired him? 1 Cup, 3 Finals, 2 3rd round. But then that was more in the past...but if you compare the teams he had in the past, compared to the ones he had in recent years....pretty easy to think that it's not even comparable...Paul Maurice? Would have thought of him? He was just hired for the 4th time.....He was the best candidate for them. Yeah, I know, tougher to find a candidate mid-season than in the summer. Yet, it's also tough in the summer, as most coaches hired in the summer are fired 3 years after.....Just saying, that in the end, finding the BEST coach possible isn't easy and you can't determine through a fitness testing, or any kind of tests, who are the best man. 'Cause in the end, you are just as good as the guy who selects you thinks you are good. And if the problem relies on the GM's way of choosing his coach....well chances are the coach won't be appropriate for your team......See Bergevin and Therrien....
No, never liked Keenan. He's too hard on his players and that was before the Vancouver fiasco. Never liked that style. And the others aren't worth discussing.

Hitchcock though? Yes, absolutely.

Old
01-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I remember Yzerman got panned for trading for Bishop. To me it didn't seem like all that bad a trade. Bishop is an absolute giant.

Never felt like Anderson was all that good a goalie. And I'm not surprised by his performance this year. He's not consistent. They can't deal him now though 'cause he's not worth anything.

You trade inconsistent/mediocre players when they're hot. And that's what we should do with DD right now - if we can find a taker.

Old
01-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
They won't. Not yet, as they need to think he could become the Anderson he was before, as this is the reason why they got rid of Bishop in the first place....
Given Anderson's career path, the way he plays, he won't be like that for another 2 seasons.

Quote:
I remember Yzerman got panned for trading for Bishop. To me it didn't seem like all that bad a trade. Bishop is an absolute giant.

Never felt like Anderson was all that good a goalie. And I'm not surprised by his performance this year. He's not consistent. They can't deal him now though 'cause he's not worth anything.

You trade inconsistent/mediocre players when they're hot. And that's what we should do with DD right now - if we can find a taker.
This plus Conacher isn't very good. Would not surprise me once his contract is up that he has trouble finding work in the NHL.

I hope they keep Anderson around until Lehner becomes frustrated and wants to be dealt.

Funny how I got so much flack for saying Anderson won't be all that good this year and he hasn't. The guy is extremely inconsistent. There's a reason he got waived, signed by Florida looked good, then became UFA, signed by Colorado, looked good then got dealt for Brian Elliott. A guy every Ottawa fan wanted gone for whatever they could.

Old
01-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Impossible Glory

So, Mason got a 3 years/4M average with the Flyers? How long before he starts sucking and they buy him out, like every other goalier they had?

Glad Mason could get his career back on track though. He was definitely looking like a one year wonder.

Old
01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

As far as Lehner goes, a lot easier to be good as a #2 playing mostly weaker teams with low expectations. Being #1 brings a lot more pressure, not many young guys can handle it...

Old
01-18-2014, 02:41 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
So, Mason got a 3 years/4M average with the Flyers? How long before he starts sucking and they buy him out, like every other goalier they had?

Glad Mason could get his career back on track though. He was definitely looking like a one year wonder.
@BroadStBull: Considering that Price signed a 6 yr deal for $6.5M per year in 2012,#Flyers got a bargain with Mason (3 years, $4.1M per).

So much delusion in that tweet.

Old
01-18-2014, 02:56 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
@BroadStBull: Considering that Price signed a 6 yr deal for $6.5M per year in 2012,#Flyers got a bargain with Mason (3 years, $4.1M per).

Wonder why he singled out Price's contract? I guess he feels Mason is comparable to Price maybe? They're both goalies in the NHL is the closest comparable I can come up with.

Good for Mason though. Nice to see him get his career back on track.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Again, this one has more to do with the guys above Hitch. Hitch had been riding him and management sided with the player... Not a coaching problem, that's on management.

Again though, why is it successful in St Louis but not Columbus? Why is Pieterangelo able to flourish under this guy?

Columbus has a long history of busting prospects. Worst that can be said is that Hitch wasn't able to break this trend. But I certainly don't blame him for it. He had morons over there running the show.
You don't think that a coach has nothing to say on the development of players? Come on man, he still was the guy to look up to in this organization and if Hitchcock would have said jump, they would have said how high. Why is he better with Pietrangelo? 'Cause, like I said before, he adapted? Or maybe because Pietrangelo would have flourished no matter who would be the coach? Or because he did a great job with him? Who knows....point is, in Columbus, he was not seen as being able to get the best out of the kids.

Quote:
No. He was fired three times - since 1996! He's on his 4th team and they are currently the favourite to win the Stanley Cup.
After his Dallas stint, 4 years in Philly, 4 years in Columbus....your typical regular firing for almost any coach in the league except the really bad ones. With only 1 3rd round to show for. He might not have had a great team in Columbus....but he had a very good team in Philly....minus the goalie of course. Which says, again, what I'm saying all along....you are often as good as your team.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post

Yeah, right

Why Price though? It would have been more easier to say that Mason has better stats than King Henrik, a direct rival, and still making half his salary

Old
01-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Impossible Glory

Natural hat trick for St-Louis in the 1st, then adds another goal. This guy just doesn't stop. Wow.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Natural hat trick for St-Louis in the 1st, then adds another goal. This guy just doesn't stop. Wow.
Was too slow for Sotchi. Was too small also. That has to be the most stupid decision of them all. EVEN if we end up winning. At this point, if I'm Team Canada.....I give a call and make sure that one of our bottom liners are hurt for Sotchi....

Old
01-18-2014, 03:18 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Stamkos who?

Closed Thread