HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

Old
01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Yes, and it matters not one iota as he's a UFA at the end of the season and we sure as **** aren't loading up to the cap for a playoff push.
Ehhhh you never know which way a trade is going to go. I'd prefer to have as much flexibility as possible. It's not a huge deal but just emphasizes how screwed we are as a franchise to me.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Shuffling deck chairs.

We give up a mediocre goalie for a grossly overpaid 4th liner on a horrendous deal and bring in a mediocre goalie who looks incredible on arguably the best defensive team in the league.

MacT needs to start addressing the defense and stop worrying about the goaltending.

Maybe having Scrivens come in and look like garbage just like Bryzgalov has and just like Dubnyk has will make MacT realize this isn't a goaltending issue.
No we need to try Cam Ward here as well.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:58 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Ehhhh you never know which way a trade is going to go. I'd prefer to have as much flexibility as possible. It's not a huge deal but just emphasizes how screwed we are as a franchise to me.
Us retaining half his salary for the rest of this year will not make one iota of difference to what we're able to do moving forward.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:01 PM
dhawken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Us retaining half his salary for the rest of this year will not make one iota of difference to what we're able to do moving forward.
Exactly. If this was a Nashville budget conscious requirement, would anyone here walk away from the deal because of it?

dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:02 PM
missinthejets

These are the kinds of trades Tambellini would never make. They're changes to shake up a team that isn't working. No they're not major moves, but in the long run a lot of little changes can change the make up of a team for the better.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:02 PM
oilman9482

Turning Dubnyk and a 3rd(which is nothing really) into a solid 4th liner and a goalie that deserves a shot at starting in the NHL = good day in Oil country.

We still need to unload Gagner on someone. MacT has something else up his sleeve.

oilman9482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:03 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Edm is one of my favourite teams so I like this. I hated that we traded scrivens.

I remember scrivens plays better when challenged more and faces more than 30 shots. Really hoping he works out here and he resigns.

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:04 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
Edm is one of my favourite teams so I like this. I hated that we traded scrivens.

I remember scrivens plays better when challenged more and faces more than 30 shots. Really hoping he works out here and he resigns.
Well, if that's the case, looks like we're going 33-0-0.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Why are you talking about the third line here?
Because you brought it up here. Don't try and avoid the question -- what are your oh so easy solutions that you would have easily out-thought MacT on, please, enlighten everyone. Let's see how bright your hockey GM mind is, your acumen.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Lowball
Re-rebuilding...

I like this trade. Restores some HOPE! It's possible Scrivens is a long-term solution. Can't wait to get a closer look!

The trades combined (Dubnyk + 3rd for Scrivens + Hendricks) looks okay to me...

Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:08 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Well, if that's the case, looks like we're going 33-0-0.
Sadly, even with that, we still don't make the playoffs

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Oil Gauge

I like the trades aslong as we can resign scrivens if he deserves it.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I'm ok with this as long as it's not the singular move to fix the goaltending area.

I like Scrivens, I think he has pretty good potential, but a the same time, hoping for a young goalie to fix the goaltending situation is a little too much questions for me.

Scrivens is a nice player though, and a young guy who's done well. We'll see if he can help our woes.

I don't care that we lost a 3rd. Our drafting is fairly **** anyway, so likely it would've been some AHL scrub.

01-15-2014, 03:11 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

You guys will love Scrivens personality at the very least. Hilarious guy

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:11 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I'm ok with this as long as it's not the singular move to fix the goaltending area.

I like Scrivens, I think he has pretty good potential, but a the same time, hoping for a young goalie to fix the goaltending situation is a little too much questions for me.

Scrivens is a nice player though, and a young guy who's done well. We'll see if he can help our woes.

I don't care that we lost a 3rd. Our drafting is fairly **** anyway, so likely it would've been some AHL scrub.
If we re-sign him, he'll be a very usuable back-up coming into next season. That is, if we actually sign one of the UFA goaltenders this off-season.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:12 PM
bone

vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Town XJ View Post
huge difference between dubie and scrivens ahl numbers
Scriven's numbers were posted from age 24-26, whereas Devan's were posted age 20-24. Meanwhile, Dubnyk posted better numbers in the NHL than Scrivens did in the AHL as 26 year olds. May still be a worthwhile move, but I don't think the AHL numbers make it a certainty.

I'm sure Dubnyk will be fine going forward, but he needed a change after the vote of non-confidence from management in last years end-of-season address. Hopefully, MacT has learned to not throw guys under the bus as some don't cope well with that.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Shizuka

Quote:

Maybe Scrivens works his way into an solid starting role, maybe not. As someone else said, if he doesn't he's UFA and both parties walk away. It's pretty low risk. His pedigree suggests he is on the cusp -- much like Dubnyk was, a year or two ago. We'll see what he brings but he's a stop gap for now.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:14 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

He is 27. I like the idea of letting Scivens and Bryz battle it out. Resign whoever wins the job.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:14 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Just a few more key acquisitions and MacT will be finished with his master plan of acquiring the entire Leafs farm team.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Crobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
He is 27. I like the idea of letting Scivens and Bryz battle it out. Resign whoever wins the job.
Its nice that the trade was made now, before the trade deadline..and we have some time to evaluate both goalies. See if someone grabs the #1 spot

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Quokka

I don't understand the fuss? Veteran leadership and reliable goaltending are things the Oilers lack. While the Oilers certainly lack in other areas (ie. top pairing D, 2nd line C) they weren't going to upgrade in those areas using Dubnyk and a third round pick as trade chips. At worst, it seems like a wash to me with a chance that it's an upgrade.

Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Maybe Scrivens works his way into an solid starting role, maybe not. As someone else said, if he doesn't he's UFA and both parties walk away. It's pretty low risk. His pedigree suggests he is on the cusp -- much like Dubnyk was, a year or two ago. We'll see what he brings but he's a stop gap for now.
Well if your going to let him go in UFA, wasting a 3rd on a year where picking top-3 seems HIGHLY likely is bad asset management, so unless he pulls a...well...a Dubnyk, I think there is a good chance we see him re-signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Huh I swear he was younger. Anyway, young in terms of playing time?

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
Scriven's numbers were posted from age 24-26, whereas Devan's were posted age 20-24. Meanwhile, Dubnyk posted better numbers in the NHL than Scrivens did in the AHL as 26 year olds. May still be a worthwhile move, but I don't think the AHL numbers make it a certainty.

I'm sure Dubnyk will be fine going forward, but he needed a change after the vote of non-confidence from management in last years end-of-season address. Hopefully, MacT has learned to not throw guys under the bus as some don't cope well with that.
Did you just refuse to watch him play? He's done!

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:19 PM
DarthP0ker

Hoorah
Scrivens is SOLID, 19 games with a humble .931 save % and 3 SO's
Probably told LA i won't resign b/c i won't be Quick's shadow
Here, he is GOD
I see a re-sign of 3 yrs coming right quick

DarthP0ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:19 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Did you just refuse to watch him play? He's done!
I guess we'll see about that.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote