HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVII) (Released, Post 1)

View Poll Results: Who will replace Stamkos?
Giroux 56 19.65%
Neal 26 9.12%
St. Louis 188 65.96%
Other 15 5.26%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 10:23 AM
RacMan93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
It just goes to show how little we value the WHC in Canada. Anything that happens there is meet with ya, so what and forgotten that it even happened the day after it's over.
Im not sure if thats true. I`m sure guys like e.staal and taylor halls stocked droped after the tournament.

either way im pissed st-louis is not on the team

imo this shoulda been the team.

tavares-crosby-carter
stamkos-giroux-st-louis
sharp-toews-nash
duchene-getzlaf-perry
bergeron,marleau

Old
01-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Stats01

Quote:
It just goes to show how little we value the WHC in Canada. Anything that happens there is meet with ya, so what and forgotten that it even happened the day after it's over.
Nobody pays attention to it because every 4 years we have this thing called the Winter Olympics where the true best on best play against each other. The "World Hockey Championships are just a disguise for "best dressed teams for players who didn't make the playoffs or were eliminated early championship" The true "World Hockey Championship" is the Winter Olympics. Why would anyone pay attention to Canada win gold at the Olympics and then turn their attention a few months later to a tournament that WE ALL KNOW does not represent the best on best. It cannot stated enough how much more even an event like the Olympics are. You are getting every countries most talented teams, the most depth and the most effort. In the WHC your tournament hopes are pinned to who's NHL teams bow out early in the playoffs and hoping those players actually want to fly across to Europe to represent their country. As long as Canada keeps winning Olympic gold, I couldn't care less how we do in that tournament because it means jack squat.

Last edited by Stats01: 01-17-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old
01-17-2014, 10:32 AM
RacMan93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Nobody pays attention to it because every 4 years we have this thing called the Winter Olympics where the true best on best play against each other. The "World Hockey Championships are just a disguise for "best dressed teams for players who didn't make the playoffs or were eliminated early championship" The true "World Hockey Championship" is the Winter Olympics. Why would anyone pay attention to Canada win gold at the Olympics and then turn their attention a few months later to a tournament that WE ALL KNOW does not represent the best on best. It cannot stated enough how much more even an event like the Olympics are. You are getting every countries most talented teams, the most depth and the most effort. In the WHC your tournament hopes are pinned to who's NHL teams bow out early in the playoffs and hoping those players actually want to fly across to Europe to represent their country. As long as Canada keeps winning Olympic gold, I couldn't care less how we do in that tournament because it means jack squat.
its still a great place to scout players on the big ice

Old
01-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacMan93 View Post
Im not sure if thats true. I`m sure guys like e.staal and taylor halls stocked droped after the tournament.

tavares-crosby-carter
stamkos-giroux-st-louis
sharp-toews-nash
duchene-getzlaf-perry
bergeron,marleau
That's the lineup i was hoping for too. I'd probably still drop Nash though for Benn and shift Giroux to Toews wing. I really don't understand the obsession with Stamkos on the RW. He scores half his goals at least from the left dot.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:55 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
its still a great place to scout players on the big ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
That's the lineup i was hoping for too. I'd probably still drop Nash though for Benn and shift Giroux to Toews wing. I really don't understand the obsession with Stamkos on the RW. He scores half his goals at least from the left dot.
On that note... Stamkos has played LW at the WC (2009) and looked great there. I agree that off wing would be better for him. I also think Tavares should play RW if he is moved from centre, though I do not expect him to be.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

tavares-crosby-carter
stamkos-giroux-st-louis
sharp-toews-nash
duchene-getzlaf-perry
bergeron,marleau
Listen, other than an afternoon warm-up to the evening's NHL playoff action, the WHC has no value to me other than who can and can not play in the future on the true National Team...

Any serious fan of international hockey, no matter what he/she/we think of the WHC, should know that Benn-Getzlaf -Perry played together on large ice and were pretty much ineffective. That's what I was watching for in 2012...and was disappointed in that particular line combination. Now, it has been noted that Getzlaf has been skating better this year...Benn maybe somewhat improved as well... forget Perry...he's a lost cause when it comes to skating... he couldn't get up to speed if he were skating on Red Bull's Crashed Ice Quebec City course. What I'm curious to know is...does Hockey Canada pay attention to what goes on at the WHC? And do they think that a Benn-Getzlaf-Perry line would be the best thing since maple syrup.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:00 AM
featherhawk

Quote:
Listen, other than an afternoon warm-up to the evening's NHL playoff action, the WHC has no value to me other than who can and can not play in the future on the true National Team...

Any serious fan of international hockey, no matter what he/she/we think of the WHC, should know that Benn-Getzlaf -Perry played together on large ice and were pretty much ineffective. That's what I was watching for in 2012...and was disappointed in that particular line combination. Now, it has been noted that Getzlaf has been skating better this year...Benn maybe somewhat improved as well... forget Perry...he's a lost cause when it comes to skating... he couldn't get up to speed if he were skating on Red Bull's Crashed Ice Quebec City course. What I'm curious to know is...does Hockey Canada pay attention to what goes on at the WHC? And do they think that a Benn-Getzlaf-Perry line would be the best thing since maple syrup.
I don't think Benn plays with getzlaf and perry

sharp-toews-benn is sooooooooo similar to sharp-toews-hossa I think that is where you will see benn play

I could see any of tavares/carter/marleau/duchene play with getzlaf and perry

Old
01-17-2014, 11:04 AM
featherhawk

kunitz-crosby-stamkos
tavares-getzlaf-perry
sharp-toews-benn
marleau-duchene-carter
bergeron

eating hot-dogs = nash

Old
01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherhawk View Post
I don't think Benn plays with getzlaf and perry

sharp-toews-benn is sooooooooo similar to sharp-toews-hossa I think that is where you will see benn play

I could see any of tavares/carter/marleau/duchene play with getzlaf and perry
that trio would be a better option. just to be specific. Benn is on the left side. Sharp on the Right. that would be my particular set-up.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:14 AM
featherhawk

Quote:
that trio would be a better option. just to be specific. Benn is on the left side. Sharp on the Right. that would be my particular set-up.
ya sharp can play both wings effectively

benn-toews-sharp

Old
01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Tavares should be playing top six minutes. He has far too much offensive talent to be on the fourth line.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

I'm dreaming about a Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos line... Will never happen, though.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:07 PM
featherhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Tavares should be playing top six minutes. He has far too much offensive talent to be on the fourth line.
I think he is a great fit with getzlaf and perry

Old
01-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Just my gut feeling! I think they flinched a little and took a few bodies that have size and skating. (and Benn I don't see to be a particularly good skater on big ice anyway. I don't see any reason for leaving MSL off the team. And you know I'm a Nash fan..but I would have dropped him in favor of MSL.
Nash is a better skater than Benn and has always performed well for Canada on the big ice. Benn did not overly impress last year at the WHC and he looked slow at times. Benn should have been dropped in favour of MSL is the correct answer.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Nash is a better skater than Benn and has always performed well for Canada on the big ice. Benn did not overly impress last year at the WHC and he looked slow at times. Benn should have been dropped in favour of MSL is the correct answer.

I wouldn't have a problem with that either. none of my roster projections included Benn.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I don't think Canada has a 4th line. The guys will all get decent time on ice.

Old
01-17-2014, 04:39 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
I really don't get this love affair with giroux playing the wing. You want him there so him and the center can pass back and forth to each other the whole time they're on the ice? Hey maybe they get lucky and one of their passes hits a skate and goes in for a goal!

Old
01-17-2014, 09:12 PM
MarginallyTalented

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierPsyCHiatrist View Post
I'm dreaming about a Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos line... Will never happen, though.
That's the line I've been hoping for all year. Tavares needs top 6 minutes and can you imagine those three paired together? Would be flat out dominant on the ice. TC better at least, put that line out on the 1st unit PP along with Weber and Subban

Old
01-18-2014, 04:48 AM
SonicY
Ad hominem

A first unit PP of

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos
Weber - Subban

Is so amazing, that I feel it warrants its own commemorative plaque or T-shirt or lighter or something...

Old
01-18-2014, 08:01 AM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
A first unit PP of

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos
Weber - Subban

Is so amazing, that I feel it warrants its own commemorative plaque or T-shirt or lighter or something...
I hope we see this as well. Doughty instead of Weber though (or Getzaf, with Stammer on the point).

Old
01-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
I hope we see this as well. Doughty instead of Weber though (or Getzaf, with Stammer on the point).
Webers got 9 pp goals

having Subban out there on the PP against guys like datsyuk seems like a SHG waiting to happen

Old
01-18-2014, 08:52 AM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Guys, does anyone know if CBC/CTV/TSN/SNET will be showing any Non-Canada hockey games? I know TSN showed pretty much EVERY hockey game in 2010, even if it was Germany/Norway, and I loved that. I haven't seen any indication that CBC is committed to doing the same.

Old
01-18-2014, 09:34 AM
adorno
%!&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
Webers got 9 pp goals

having Subban out there on the PP against guys like datsyuk seems like a SHG waiting to happen
Yep, make sure to keep Subban off that PP!

Old
01-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
I really don't get this love affair with giroux playing the wing. You want him there so him and the center can pass back and forth to each other the whole time they're on the ice? Hey maybe they get lucky and one of their passes hits a skate and goes in for a goal!
Ya Toews and Giroux have zero goal scoring skills. Totally forgot about that. Thanks bro...

Old
01-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
Having Subban out there on the PP against guys like datsyuk seems like a SHG waiting to happen
Tell us more.

Closed Thread