HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

give it 10 games

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 07:21 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
give it 10 games

Audette,Perreault, will be demoted if last night is any indication

Quintal looks 2 steps slower than he normally is, but at least he tries.

Hainsey, ryder and ward played well last night, at least they showed something, Ryder may be that Mcphee, type player we have missed in years, a quality role player who can chip in with goals, check, and play
a good alround game.

The difference this year is GAINEY WON`T STAND PAT, like other years
where we played the vets good or bad. Don`t be surprised by mid season if komi,hainsey,ward,ryder,higgins and perezoghin become regulars , not cup of coffee fillers.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Shazbot

i really loved Ryder's game last night. does anyone have a breakdown of the shot count? ([edit:] Audette led the Habs with 5 shots on net, and Ryder and Hainsey had 4 apiece.) in the 3rd period, Julien went with a line of Bulis-Ward-Ryder and i thought they worked really hard and created a few scoring chances. Ryder always seemed to be either laying a hit or at the net.

as a whole, the team looked pretty crappy, but there were a few bright spots, like

Ryder
Ribeiro - super duper amazing goal (no comment on the defense, although he really does look a lot faster out there)
Hainsey - a few mistakes but generally calm; and he had a few good looks at the net
Souray - also a few mistakes, but lots of intensity
Bulis - looked primed to continue his success from last season
Ward - not pretty, but good hustle

i didn't really notice

Markov
Brisebois
Perreault
Zednik
Audette

and i guess that's not such a bad thing

the following i thought looked pretty sad out there
Quintal
Rivet
Hossa

oh, and who can blame Theo for the final score

Old
10-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot
i really loved Ryder's game last night. does anyone have a breakdown of the shot count? ([edit:] Audette led the Habs with 5 shots on net, and Ryder and Hainsey had 4 apiece.) in the 3rd period, Julien went with a line of Bulis-Ward-Ryder and i thought they worked really hard and created a few scoring chances. Ryder always seemed to be either laying a hit or at the net.

as a whole, the team looked pretty crappy, but there were a few bright spots, like

Ryder
Ribeiro - super duper amazing goal (no comment on the defense, although he really does look a lot faster out there)
Hainsey - a few mistakes but generally calm; and he had a few good looks at the net

i didn't really notice

Markov
Brisebois
Perreault
Zednik
Audette

Quintal
Rivet
Hossa

I pretty much agree with your assessment of the game...Overall, the team looked very sad but I would like to add a couple of comments.

Ryder - definitely the best player on the ice last night(alright,I know I'm a little bit biased!). He is most certainly a keeper to rebuild this team...He worked hard in the corners all night and went to the net, what seemed like, a dozen times...But about only once did the puck get through to the net while he was there...A very poor supporting cast indeed!!...Made a very nice move on a rush in the third period and as result got got a decent shot on net. The man is a complete player...plays a very good defensive and offensive game, has an awesome shot and an awesome quick release!!!...The potential for this guy offensively is very high if playing with strong linemates.

Ribeiro - I agree, he scored a very nice goal but that's the problem with him, alot of flashy play with minimal results. The end result last night was an even in the +/- category... even though he scored, the net benefit to the team offensively was Zero. Ryder matched that, even though he didn't score!!...Ribeiro has shown some improvement in effort and strength but he remains a defensive liability to the team simply because he's still way too slow and way too weak!! Either he shows significant improvement by, if not before, Xmas or else he goes. And speaking of going there are a few guys who should be given the boot right now, not the least of which is "Audette the regret".

Old
10-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Shazbot

(thanks for answering. for some reason, i'm a thread killer around here. either i close a thread with one of my comments, or my opinions get skipped over. i'm the poster who wasn't there. oh well.)

about Ribeiro, i've never been a big fan of his for precisely the reasons you mentioned. his game is flash and nothing much else. but when the flash flashes-- WOW!

and as for audette, he did lead the team in shots last night with 5. i think he can and probably should be replaced by a guy like Ryder, but he should still be given a chance with Koivu when the captain returns.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman
Audette,Perreault, will be demoted if last night is any indication

Quintal looks 2 steps slower than he normally is, but at least he tries.

Hainsey, ryder and ward played well last night, at least they showed something, Ryder may be that Mcphee, type player we have missed in years, a quality role player who can chip in with goals, check, and play
a good alround game.

The difference this year is GAINEY WON`T STAND PAT, like other years
where we played the vets good or bad. Don`t be surprised by mid season if komi,hainsey,ward,ryder,higgins and perezoghin become regulars , not cup of coffee fillers.
Perrault will never be demoted, and I mean <b>never</b>. Not while he's on the Canadiens.

His faceoff ability ensure's him a spot in the lineup. I'm not a huge Perrault fan, but this ability has kept him in team lineups for years now.

I agree with your comment on Gainey, but he is not trading from a postion of strength. He may have to release a few players, via waivers, and draw from the farm.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I can give them the entire season no problem, as long as they show more effort and progress of the youngsters i will be pleased. I wont mind be in the race for Ovechkin. :p

no seriously, i think we have to be patient and be aware we have a young team and we lack skills. i prefer to take longer being bad at the begining to be good and then be a strong team for year (see sens) than be average/below average for years to come (see montreal 95-01).

lets make the kids play and grow in maturity by themself. with Gainey as leader then will have to follow or else they are in the doghouse for years.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot

Ryder

i didn't really notice

Markov
Brisebois
Perreault
Zednik
Audette

Quintal
Rivet
Hossa

I missed most of the first period, but they weren't that crappy, were they? Remember, Ottawa is one of the best teams in the league, picked by many to win the cup. The habs actually outplayed them in the third.

I liked the Bulis/Ward/Ryder combination. But has Ward ever played center before? If Ryder could play left wing, (and why can't he?), Bulis could be center since he's played that position before. Ward goes to his natural position of RW. (Ryder/Bulis/Ward)

Re Markov: you must have noticed his sparkling defensive play as the lone man back on the Sens 2 on 1. He hustled back and laid his stick down to intercept the cross-ice pass. The habs regained control. Only one play I know, but noteworthy. And Hossa showed some good work, on occasion.

The team is young, it was only one game. I some some positives, that I feel will continue to build. I honestly didn't expect them to beat Ottawa last night....

Closed Thread