HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who to leave unprotected?

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Who to leave unprotected?

The only guys i see with a chance of being left unprotected are Lacoture, Petrovicky and Purinton. Bure will count as an unprotected guy as well. Who do you think/want us to leave unprotected?

Old
09-30-2003, 01:47 PM
#37-#93-#27*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Kasparitus, Messier and Bure.

I don't think Lacouture needs to be left unprotected.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

couldnt we get away with leaving Holik unprotected? whos gunna pay him 9 mill?

Old
09-30-2003, 01:50 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Detroit?

Old
09-30-2003, 04:58 PM
#37-#93-#27*

As Joe Beningo says: "From your lips to Gods ears".

Old
09-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Davisian

IMO the following are sure to be protected-

Dunham
Markannen

Lindros
Kovalev
Nedved
Carter
Holik
Ruchinsky
Leetch
DeVries
Poti
Mironov

= 10 skaters, 8 left

Of those left

Purinton
Malakhov
Kasparaitis
Jakopin

Simon
Hlavac
LaCouture
Barnaby
Messier
Petrovicky

I don't see Hlavac and Simon being exposed.. Whether you like their games or not, they're cheap and they do have trade value..

=12 skaters 6 left..

Defense has been a problem and now some depth is showing up.. No time to lose it, so protect Purinton, Malakhov, Kasparaitis.. Unless a better option becomes available in the waiver draft, in which case, I'd expose one of 'em.. Purinton or Kaspar if its a stay at home/hitter, Malakhov if the one picked is offensive minded.. I'd prefer Malakhov to be off anyways, but doubt it..

= 15 skaters, 3 left..

LaCouture is the best penalty killer of the bunch, a versatile player (albeit talently challenged) and a nominal price tag.. He stays..

=16 skaters 2 left..

Messier, Barnaby, Petrovicky.. Mess makes a high salary, but it's very doubtful Sather has the stones to leave him unprotected..

=17 skaters 1 left..

Barnaby, Petro.. Saw the Barnaby debates, good to see you kids are still crazy after all these years..

To me, Barnaby IS a shameless self promoter, a role player who never seems to accept when the role diminishes a bit and had no business even hinting that he was worried about his time and/or role already.. BUT he's also still a guy who played with a lot of heart and busted his arse for a team that never seemed to match his intensity, but should have.. He played very hard for last years team, and I wouldn't mind seeing him do it again, BUT the team is deeper now and he must accept that until injuries or slumps hit, he's going to have to be a black ace and keep his yap shut and his enthusiasm up until he gets that shot..

So part of me leans toward Barnaby for the last spot, but I keep coming back to the dreadful PK.. Petro can, Barnaby can't, so Petro it is.. Unless another solid Penalty killer becomes available..

=18

Old
09-30-2003, 05:16 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
Malakhov, Messier, Kasparaitis, Purinton, Bure.
Why would you leave Purinton unprotected?

Most teams would gladly want to pick up a cheap, young, depth defenseman who can drop the gloves for nothing. Why would you want to let him go anyway? Its one thing to say he's not a top 4 defenseman, which he's not, but to say he hasnt earned a roster spot on a team thats filled with nothing but underachieving overpaid veterans is just foolish. He may have his shortcomings, but lets at least give credit where credit is due.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:27 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
IMO the following are sure to be protected-

Dunham
Markannen

Lindros
Kovalev
Nedved
Carter
Holik
Ruchinsky
Leetch
DeVries
Poti
Mironov

= 10 skaters, 8 left

Of those left

Purinton
Malakhov
Kasparaitis
Jakopin

Simon
Hlavac
LaCouture
Barnaby
Messier
Petrovicky

I don't see Hlavac and Simon being exposed.. Whether you like their games or not, they're cheap and they do have trade value..

=12 skaters 6 left..

Defense has been a problem and now some depth is showing up.. No time to lose it, so protect Purinton, Malakhov, Kasparaitis.. Unless a better option becomes available in the waiver draft, in which case, I'd expose one of 'em.. Purinton or Kaspar if its a stay at home/hitter, Malakhov if the one picked is offensive minded.. I'd prefer Malakhov to be off anyways, but doubt it..

= 15 skaters, 3 left..

LaCouture is the best penalty killer of the bunch, a versatile player (albeit talently challenged) and a nominal price tag.. He stays..

=16 skaters 2 left..

Messier, Barnaby, Petrovicky.. Mess makes a high salary, but it's very doubtful Sather has the stones to leave him unprotected..

=17 skaters 1 left..

Barnaby, Petro.. Saw the Barnaby debates, good to see you kids are still crazy after all these years..

To me, Barnaby IS a shameless self promoter, a role player who never seems to accept when the role diminishes a bit and had no business even hinting that he was worried about his time and/or role already.. BUT he's also still a guy who played with a lot of heart and busted his arse for a team that never seemed to match his intensity, but should have.. He played very hard for last years team, and I wouldn't mind seeing him do it again, BUT the team is deeper now and he must accept that until injuries or slumps hit, he's going to have to be a black ace and keep his yap shut and his enthusiasm up until he gets that shot..

So part of me leans toward Barnaby for the last spot, but I keep coming back to the dreadful PK.. Petro can, Barnaby can't, so Petro it is.. Unless another solid Penalty killer becomes available..

=18
You forgot about our new acquisitions. Would you leave Petro unprotected in favor of Hereema or Purrinton/Jakopin in favor of Heins? (I'm sure Heins would be an upgrade)

Old
09-30-2003, 05:32 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian

So part of me leans toward Barnaby for the last spot, but I keep coming back to the dreadful PK.. Petro can, Barnaby can't, so Petro it is.. Unless another solid Penalty killer becomes available.
I dont think we should even let ourselves get to the point where we let Barnaby go just because we dont have room for him on the roster (which is arguable at best). I say we just leave somebody with a very high, long-term deal unprotected. No team in the league would want to take on Kasparaitis' or Holik's contracts, so theres no risk in losing them.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
You forgot about our new acquisitions. Would you leave Petro unprotected in favor of Hereema or Purrinton/Jakopin in favor of Heins? (I'm sure Heins would be an upgrade)

Haven't seen a whole lot of them,but I'm pretty sure Herrema can't help the PK and Heins isn't much of an upgrade over Dale so they're left off as well.. They might help for depth, but there's a reason they were picked up for nothing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
I dont think we should even let ourselves get to the point where we let Barnaby go just because we dont have room for him on the roster (which is arguable at best). I say we just leave somebody with a very high, long-term deal unprotected. No team in the league would want to take on Kasparaitis' or Holik's contracts, so theres no risk in losing them.
I not only think several teams would take a chance on either of them, but more importantly, I don't think the Rangers can afford to lose either, especially Holik..

Messier, Malakhov you could make that case for, but I don't see Sather exposing them..

Old
09-30-2003, 06:06 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
First of all, Hereema is 23, so he has nothing to do with this.

Second of all, how can you say that Heins is an upgrade over Purinton when you've never seen Heins play and probably never even heard of him until today? Do you not notice that Purinton keeps improving defensively every year? Or that he's really our only heavyweight fighter? Or that he's one of the few homegrown players on this team? Or that he plays his heart out every shift and doesnt complain about the money he's making? Its funny how some people complain about not having enough young homegrown Rangers who give it their all every night, and then arent satisfied with Purinton just because he's an "overachieving ECHLer". Im sorry if he's not the next Beukeboom, or Darien Hatcher, or Scott Stevens. Just because he's a depth defenseman doesnt mean he can be replaced by anyone. He's still a vital asset to the team and does not deserve to be shipped off for a guy who's bounced around the AHL for 8 years.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

hopefully sather is able to work it so we dont lose anything. Also, i think Heerema is exempt.

my protect list:

Lindros
Nedved
Kovalev
Messier
Holik
Hlavac
Rucinsky
Carter
Lacoture
Barnaby(if anyone thinks hes gunna be exposed your nuts)
Petrovicky
Simon
Leetch
Poti
Mironov
de Vries
Purinton
Kaspar or Malakhov

Dunham
Marrky

If we leave Kaspar or Malakhov out there i doubt anyone will pickup thier contracts. If Sather really thinks someone will, protect them both and leave Purinton unprotected.

Exempt:
Lundmark
Hereema(pretty sure)

Old
09-30-2003, 06:11 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
First of all, Hereema is 23, so he has nothing to do with this.

Second of all, how can you say that Heins is an upgrade over Purinton when you've never seen Heins play and probably never even heard of him until today? Do you not notice that Purinton keeps improving defensively every year? Or that he's really our only heavyweight fighter? Or that he's one of the few homegrown players on this team? Or that he plays his heart out every shift and doesnt complain about the money he's making? Its funny how some people complain about not having enough young homegrown Rangers who give it their all every night, and then arent satisfied with Purinton just because he's an "overachieving ECHLer". Im sorry if he's not the next Beukeboom, or Darien Hatcher, or Scott Stevens. Just because he's a depth defenseman doesnt mean he can be replaced by anyone. He's still a vital asset to the team and does not deserve to be shipped off for a guy who's bounced around the AHL for 8 years.
What is with the attitude?

Hereema being 23 has nothing to do with his waiver elligability. You don't have any right to tell me what I've seen so don't assume I've never seen anyone play. For your information I have seen him play more then a few times for the Sharks including last season for the Penguins and he is an upgrade over Purinton.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:19 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
What is with the attitude?

Hereema being 23 has nothing to do with his waiver elligability. You don't have any right to tell me what I've seen so don't assume I've never seen anyone play. For your information I have seen him play more then a few times for the Sharks including last season for the Penguins and he is an upgrade over Purinton.
Sorry if it sounded like I have an attitude, its nothing against you. I just think you're underestimating Purinton. I'd be pretty pissed off if we left him unprotected and a team like say the Islanders or Flyers picked him up for nothing. All that just to make space for Heins.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Dorthmall

Send a message via AIM to Dorthmall
My protected list:

Dunham
Markkanen

Lindros
Holik
Hlavac
Rucinsky
Carter
Kovalev
Barnaby (no way Sathers leaves him unprotected)
Nedved
Lacouture
Petrovicky

Leetch
Poti
Mironov
Malakhov
deVries
Purinton
Jakopin
Kasparitis - unprotect him if we pick up anyone, he makes too much money for any team to pick him up

Unprotected:
Heins
Messier
Simon
Bure (I doubt anyone would pick up his salary)

I might've left someone off the list.... but if not, thats my list.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Can Bure be exposed when he is on the injured/inactive list?

09-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Can Bure be exposed when he is on the injured/inactive list?
yeah. That wouldnt be right if we would have to keep a space for him if hes injuried.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 26
yeah. That wouldnt be right if we would have to keep a space for him if hes injuried.
He's not on the roster, he can't be protected or exposed I would think.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
He's not on the roster, he can't be protected or exposed I would think.
If Bure is not protected, he can be claimed by any other team. Injuries do not exempt a player from the Waiver Draft.

Brooks revealed that Barnaby was protected and that Ronald Petrovicky was exposed.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:21 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

if sather had the balls to keep a kaspar or malakhov unprotected (no one will pick up thier contracts) then we'd be able to keep Petro. Lets hope no one picks him up, i like him even though hed probably just be an alternate starter.

Closed Thread